Is Disney World too Expensive?

Is WDW too Expensive?

• Nope. But I can only go twice in my lifetime because it costs an arm and a leg.

• No. The price is fair.

• Yes, but I'll go anyway.

• No, a good strategy will minimime your costs.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goofmeister

Mouseketeer
A co-worker and I were discussing one of my favorite topics, WDW. He made the comment that it was too expensive. I disagreed, but I did notice that two regular sodas in the MK cost six dollars. Is Disney too Expensive?

I voted yes, but I'll go anyway.

But in all honesty, going to Six flags costs MORE and the food is a poorer quality and the same if not more expensive than WDW.

We spent more for 2 days when we were at Cedar Point than we would have for 2 days at WDW.

Oh yea it is too expensive. My friends keep reminding me that they spend less money to go on a Princess Cruise.

Oh well, I still love Disney.

Most definately! That said.. I will NEVER give it up. I love WDW and having been at many other theme parks it is obvious that you get what you pay for and WDW is the best. (with Universal and IOA a close but different second!)

Of course it's expensive....it's DISNEYWORLD!!! :teeth: ::yes:: However, knowing this, that is why you do the most you can to get the most out of your trip for what fits into your budget. DH and I love to eat while at Disney so that's where a lot of our money goes. This time however, we will be splitting all of our dinners and probably not doing lunches within the parks. I plan on buying A LOT of Atkins bars and water to hold us til dinner time. We love Disney breakfast, so we will be doing a lot of those too. I'm looking at probably about $100 a day for the both of us. As far as the hotel goes, we get a great FL resident discount rate, as we do on tickets too. :hyper:

So yes it's expensive, but it can be done if you put it all together right! :D

I agree about the food. We even go cheap on the resort most of eh time to get a longer stay.

Usually make up for it on food though...we love fine dining. This trip we are eating at Citricos, Kona Cafe, Shula's,Artist Point twice and Jinko's. I am sure I will spend close $1500 in food and snacks alone.

It is expensive - but worth it. I felt a lot better about how much money we tend to spend at WDW after I went to an Atlanta Braves game with DH this summer. He and his friends probably go six or seven times every summer, but I promised him I would go once. The food prices there (for hot dogs, Cracker Jacks type stuff) made Disney World fast food seem like McDonalds! I think the same bag of Cracker Jacks you can get for $0.99 anywhere else was almost $4! So now when DH fusses about how much WDW costs I remind him if we were going to spend a week at Turner Field it would be about the same!;)

Oh yeah, it's way too expensive. But we'll go anyway. :teeth:

We're definitely going to be trying to save money, by eating breakfast at our hotel, bringing snacks and water to the parks and then eating dinner in a restaurant. Sit-down dinners are important to us, so we're willing to blow our food budget that way. :) We booked a package through Expedia.com, saving ourselves a few hundred dollars on the plane tickets and hotel, and my nice father-in-law will be buying our Park Hoppers as a belated wedding gift, so that will be free.

It's possible to be conservative at Disney, but it'll never be *cheap*.

Yep, Disney is expensive, but worth every cent. What is a great, fun, relaxing time worth to you? The quality of the parks, restaurants, shows, or the resorts is something that has to be paid for if you want quality. For myself and family, this is such a wonderful spot that we bought into DVC at two resorts. It all comes down to what you think is worth your time and dollars. It is truely a wonderful and magical place in thisnadults eyes!

If you consider what a visit to your local Six Flags or other theme park costs then WDW is no more expensive and has so much more to offer. Our local Six Flags charges approximately $40 for a one-day adult admission and $9 to park..or there's the preferred parking for $12. The food is just as expensive and horrible. I think the fact that WDW consists of 4 parks each with their own admission can be seem kind of overwhelming to the bank account.

You are missing a choice - Disney is a bargain and they should raise the prices - it would keep the crowds down, make PSs easier to get, and make the experience much more pleasant. ;)

Its expensive, but we love and it will keep going! It can be done cheapy......GO ANNUAL PASSES!

I don't think it is expensive at all! Comparing it to our ski vacation we take every year and WDW is a bargain! For the money you pay you get so many shows, attractions, and rides, that they should charge MORE! I can spend more for a week at the ocean and have nothing to do but sit on a beach. WDW is a great deal!

Compared to what? What determines if it is "too expensive"?

I am not really sure why folks consider Disney expensive-- in fact we often go to the world as a money-saving vacation! Our most recent trip was for 15 days and we spent $2320.98 ($154.75 per day for two people) on food, gas, lodging, parking, Sea World passes, tickets to the Halloween party, a "My Pal Mickey," and 2 waterpark/DQ annual passes. Now admittedly we didn't have any hopper expenses on this trip because we had 5 days left from a previous trip and my CM cousin spent 2 days with us, so that admission was free. But if we had bought 7 day hoppers, we would have spent another $600-- however we wouldn't have purchased the waterpark/DQ AP's, so subtract $275 to get $325 and add that to our total and you still only get $2645.98 ($176.40 per day for 2 people). This really doesn't seem so expensive to me, since if we want to go to the beach in summer or the mountains in the fall, we'd be hard pressed to find a motel room for less than $100/night. When we went to an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean, we got a great rate of $800 each for a week including airfare-- but that's still $228 per day for 2 people. I personally really find the World to be very reasonably priced!

Beatnik

If you look at individual items like the cost of a soda or a meal or even a hotel room, you might tend to think that it is too expensive. But I have never left a WDW trip thinking that I didn't get my money's worth. Somethings are overpriced, but a reasonable person will concede that it is necessary to pay for all the magic that you don't pay for.
JimmieD

Of course it is expensive but then we all know that before we go. I know that when I go again, like last time I go to enjoy myself and plan to spend money accordingly. I know from the start it will not be a cheap trip!! I guess that is why going there is such a treat.

We got a gold annual pass to Six Flags for $80 from their website in March and it included free admissions to the State Fair of Texas, Texas Rangers baseball, Rodeo, zoos, museums, etc.; 25% off almost everything AND we get to go to any Six Flags park - Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, LA - anywhere. They also have special ride times - once a month for three hours it is open to just the passholders :)

Yes, the food is generally mediocre but definitely not more expensive than WDW. Definitely less for the passholders.

AND they have some kick-butt coasters :earseek:

You know the photos they take when you're on the rides - costs half as much at Six Flags than WDW :eek:

Now I realize you can not compare Six Flags to WDW, they're apples and oranges. But to say Six Flags is more expensive than WDW is just isn't accurate from what I can see :confused:

I go to Six Flags for the adrenaline :hyper: , WDW for the atmosphere :sunny: They are both terrific in their own ways :teeth:

:wave2:

Well, not much anyway, because there is no business reason not to charge pretty hefty prices.

BUT, I, too am a Disneyholic, and there is no other similar experience that matches this quality standard.

I think Disney is a really good choice for families. It is time well spent and remembered together. Good families have the full range of vacation budgets--millionaires to modest wage earners. That is why, especially for the non-millionaires, it is so important to PLAN.

IF a average income family of four visits the park one day, we all know that day is a $300 to $500 day (counting food and lodging) at a MINIMUM. A few days of this and we are talking real after-tax money. So every day should count. The family needs some research, some searching for those better deals, some overall concept about the pace of the vacation, some setting of expectations and some consideration of what makes every member in the family comfortable.

As a Disneyholic who has thought a lot about this question, I think the experience at Disney is "tiered," and it works well for families at different budget levels. The parks are the best part of the magic and are, of course, the focal point of the vacation, no matter what the budget. The next tier is the lodging. No doubt about it--off-site is better for the vacation budget. Last tier, there is a lot of money to be spent at the better restaurants and all of the fancy diversions, like parasailing or special tours and so on. I believe these are wonderful, but in no way essential to having a magical vacation. Finally--I think this is more about judgment than budget--there is all the plastic and furry useless stuff one can buy, and I guess you can tell I have an opinion--photos are a great investment but STUFF is not.

I have been at several levels of this budget continuum, and I believe that the fun in the vacation is not all that connected to what you spend, although one must be prepared for the high prices. Spend what you can afford. Enjoy your family.

I think it all comes down to what you are willing to pay. My family of four is going this February (value season) we are staying at the AKL and will be there for four nights. Not including spending money and food, and I'm paying about $3200.00.

My brother and his family of four are going in March (regular season) and they are staying at the ASM and they are only paying $2000.00.

Sure Disney is expensive, but I haven't been to a park that wasn't!!

Disney is not just a vacation, it's a lifestyle!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter