Is Disney World too Expensive?

Is WDW too Expensive?

• Nope. But I can only go twice in my lifetime because it costs an arm and a leg.

• No. The price is fair.

• Yes, but I'll go anyway.

• No, a good strategy will minimime your costs.

Results are only viewable after voting.
mport : lol!!
our similar expression is"that's not bad" meaning cost wise since we realized once that after a few days a dsney we were saying that about a meal that cost us 2 times what it would have cost us at home ( at time like $16 for prime rib ..really "that's not bad"considering what we'd spend today!)

Wow. Great responses.

My thoughts on it are this. I grew up in a very wealthy family. We took a trip to WDW almost every year, only stayed on site in the most pricy hotels. Now that I'm an adult living with my long term significant other , I am living paycheck to paycheck, despite carrying two degrees. While I'm sad that can't go off to Disney every year , or go on a long , costly trip to somewhere every month like my parents do, I am not unhappy with the life I have. My SO is a wonderful man and my best friend in the world. We have a nice place to live, great friends, and an adorable puppy who we treat like a member of the family.

My SO and I are taking our first trip to Disney this Feb. We will be in Disney for 5 days, in Sea World for one day and at Universal for 3 days. For our budget, it's a lot of money. And, even though we got free plane tickets from my parents, my dad offered to pay for a few of our more costly meals, and we are renting his mom's condo when we go there (She's charging us 500 for the week but we can pay her when we return), we are still somewhat worried about not having enough cash when we are there. To some people's budgets it might not be a lot of money, as there are many people who are far more well off financially than we are. We still have to take into account rental car, food each day, PHP passes as well as passes to the other parks, spending money for drinks, ice cream etc, admission to places like Disney Quest and PI. And we love our Jack Russell puppy and would only put him in the best kennel we can find (costing us more that $300 for the 11 day trip). We both believe strongly that a pet is a member of the family and if making sure he's in good hands while we're away means cutting out a carriage ride, or a fancy dinner or two, so be it.

However, I think the question here is not whether or not Disney is expensive. Depending on your salary, expensive may be very different to you compared to someone else. I think the question here is value. Is it worth it for the money? $300 for a kennel for a puppy for 11 days is expensive, but to us, the peace of mind is worth it, hence, there is value. Some folks would think we were crazy because to them, a $300 kennel holds no value.

To break it down, my 5 day PHP was $217. This breaks down to $43 a day. My Sea world pass for one day was around $50 and my 3 day Universal / IOA pass was $89 working out to about $30 a day. I have spent more than $43 dollars in my life on a ticket to see a Broadway show or spend a day at the art museum. In fact, this past Easter I spent about $120 on two tickets to see a really bad production of Jesus Christ Superstar that was so bad I walked out. Once a month, my So and I each spend $20 on a one hour trail ride at a local stable.

While these other forms of entertainment can't be compared to WDW, you can see that in comparison to other forms of fun, Disney is not that much more. In fact, it's less than Sea World.

I know a lot of people complain about the costs of food and such at WDW, but chicken fingers and fries at Cosmic Rays don't cost much more than the same meal at KFC. Sit down meals at places like Sci Fi don't charge much more for a Burger than Chili's. Cinderella's Royal Table does not charge much more for a big prime rib dinner than most of the nicer upscale restaurants in Boston.
Drinks are expensive, but they cost more at the movie theater. I once bought a banana from a fruit stand at the WS and I think it was 60 cents.

So I don't think Disney itself is not worth the money. It's not that much. I also don't think Disney can be compared to Six Flags or a local carnival. The Six Flags near me is a nice, clean theme park, and is certainly fun ( I can't recall the cost for a days admission) but it's not the same as Disney. Six Flags deals more in thrill rides, where Disney deals in theme rides. Later in 2004 we are trying to scrape up enough money to go to a big convention in Indiana that is looking to cost almost as much as a few days at WDW.

When you add in all the extras, hotel, food, travel, rental cars, souvenirs, it can get costly, and then it becomes up to you whether or not it's worth it.

For our trip in Feb, we plan to eat breakfast in our condo, then have early lunches in the parks. We will have the following meals at WDW :
Cinderella's Table Dinner
Biergarten Lunch
Planet Hollywood Dinner
Sci Fi Drive In Lunch
Hollywood & Vine Dinner
The Hoop Dee Doo Dinner
and Crystal Palace Lunch

Our other meals at WDW, and at SW & US/IOA will be counter service. Neither of us are heavy eaters , nor do we snack a lot. So if we decide that each day we're going to have ice cream, or a freshly baked cookie, it's not going to be too much. Besides, the Mrs. Fields cookie store around here charges as much for a cookie. We also aren't really into souvenirs.

The way I see it with the food, you can eat cheap, or you can eat moderate, or you can eat pricy. It's no different than it is in my hometown. I could have a $50 dinner every night at that fancy, gourmet place in town but it would drain my income pretty quickly. I see Disney as that way too. I am not going to be able to eat at CRT every night. Some people can afford to. I can't. But I don't think it is because CRT for dinner is unreasonable.

If you have a moderate income and expect to be able to eat at the most expensive restaurants every day, you can certainly save up and splurge when you are there. But don't say that WDW is too expensive. As for things like film , they are more expensive in the parks, but they are also more expensive at a convenience store. I bring film and cameras from home.

I think/hope the person who said Disney should raise the prices to keep the crowds down was kidding. I can deal with the bigger crowds knowing that the price of admission are remaining reasonable. If they raise the prices, a lot of families would not be able to go and share this type of vacation with their kids.

Sheri

I does cost money, but you get what you pay for and the choices are limitless for food and rides. Try to find 275 sit down eateries at six flags or bush gardens.

I think back to something that was told to me about spending money.

"Only rich people can buy cheap"

This translates to: If you buy something less expensive and it brakes, or you can't return it (like a vacation) it's not a big deal because you can then go back and buy the good one. Now if you didn't have money to sqaunder, well then you're just plain stuck.

I was just thinking along these lines because DH and I went to the Biltmore Estate, to see a Candlelight Evening, and the cost was $45 per person. I thought, gee, with a park-hopper pass, this is costing me more than a whole day at DISNEY! But we enjoiyed ourselves, the $45 included some wine tasting.:p

Bobbi

gotta say this tops anything I ever paid at WDW...

daughter is in Hawaii so we ordered her a room service breakfast of tea, muffin and juice( she always tells us it is our "job" in the morning to make her tea, so kind of a family joke)
1 small pot of tea( which we all know is a pot of hot water and 1 tea bag), 1 muffin, 1 small OJ ...$20.00 Plus19%tip. if I wanted to add a small bowl ( individual serving) of fruit it would be $8 more.

( this summer I got a whole basket of pastry equal to 3 or 4 large full size pastries, a large pot of coffee and a large wine glass of juice for $10 plus tip at a very nice hotel room service so double the price for much less)

DH and I just got back and had a good example of why I think Disney is a good value.

We went to Dolly Parton's Chrismtas Stampede the costs broke down as follows.
Dinner and show $45/person +tax
Pre-Show Pepsi's $4/person
Tip (which was not included) $10

So our evening soon became $54/person. What irked us the most was that the menu said soft drinks were included with the package which we assumed meant in the pre-show. Also there was no alcohol available (it's included at Hoop Dee Doo). My DH kept saying "and people think Disney is expensive"

This has probably been said, but if if where much cheaper, can you imagine the line-ups!!!

I get season passes to 6 Flags St. Louis every year because we love the roller coasters. But I would rather go to Disney ANY day. There's no "magic" at 6 Flags--you go, you stand in line, you get herded from one ride to the next, you fight crowds, obnoxious teenagers, trash everywhere, dirty restrooms, high prices for nasty food. . . need I go on? When we go to 6 Flags, we bring our own food and keep it in a cooler in the car because I'm not going to pay for yucky stuff. I'm not trying to slam 6 Flags--obviously we get entertainment value from it. But it's not, nor will it ever be, Disney. We go to Disney for the whole experience--to smell the flowers, to look for Hidden Mickeys, to enjoy each other and "The World" around us. We can go to 6 Flags any time, Disney is special. Part of the magic is planning the trip and talking about it for a year!!! When we come back, we experience the high of the magic for weeks!!! We don't get that from 6 Flags. Long live Walt's World!!

I honestly think that Disney is a you get what you pay for trip (WHEN COMPARING TO A SIMILAR THEME PARK TRIP). I think it is difficult for non "Disney" people to comprehend what we fanatics have come to love about the house the mouse built.

I have mentioned this in the past, but I think it is worth mentioning again, I have done the Sesame Place park and will never go there again. Price-wise it is not any cheaper, but a) there's nothing for adults to do, b) the food is horrible, and c) the cast members can't even come close to WDW cast members.

Think about how many people go thru that door day in and day out and for the most part it is truly a magical experience for them all. That unfortunately will come at a price of maintaining that feel through improvements, employees who give their all every day (and truly enjoy what they are doing). All those things may cost a little more, but it shows in the level of service and the smiles it brings.

Besides vacations are a time to spoil yourself (at least a little bit anyway).

So I vote for fairly priced.

It only seems expensive because you do need to pay to get into 4 parks, and they cannot be done in 1-2 days. Since it takes 5-7 days to see it all, you are buying food, paying for nights at a hotel etc. for that time. Other than other Disney Parks, there is nowhere that I know of that you will see the quality of shows and attractions that you see at WDW. Every 1st timer will do character meals and such and that adds to your cost. On return trips you can be low key on those things. My family and I went in Nov. and I had made it clear that it would be our only trip there. We had the BEST time and the day we came home I started plotting our return. WDW is not just a "place" to go. It is magic!!!

We go to Disney every year because we can't afford to go anywhere else. I vote Fair.

One way to save money is to check the Disney Web site every day until you see the specials. Then book immediately. This year we are going in January (04') and we booked our rooms at the All-Stars for $77 a night. The special popped up a few days ago for $55 dollars a night. I called immediately and got our rooms at $55.

The All-Star resorts are like your local Howard Johnson. Not the best, but very clean and a great value.

Also....Never buy the Disney packages. They will cost you more money than booking everything yourself. One reason is that they include the Ultimate Park Hopper. You don't need it. Just buy a regular park hopper and book the rooms separately.

Eating can be nominal. I'm from New Orleans so we spend a lot of money eating out anyway. So the cost of food almost equals what we would spend at home.

Disney Magic is worth all the money you spend. No other parks have as much detail, service, or quality that the disney parks do. Plus those park over charge you for everything they sell in the parks, disney's in park prices are fair for the quality of the food or products.

Hello all...

I would say that Disney can be expensive as you want it to be. I noticed that I was pretty full and bloated after trying to eat three meals a day there. And once you realize that all the shops on main street sell the same things, then you don't need three mickey hats etc. All in all our last trip was cheaper than the previous one. I just chose to bundle the lodging and tickets and pay for the food myself. That saved at least $500 - $700

So in short

1. You'll pay the average rate for a luxury hotel (not any more)

2. Food is the same price as other places outside disney (i.e. outback)

3. Park admission is High

4. Disney service is the best bang for the buck

The important thing to realize is that you're on vacation, so you'll have to expect to pay for meals and lodging at the normal rate. So if you get caught up in the Disney aura then it will be expensive. If you keep you witts about you, then you can afford it. (Tip: sell all your junk in the attic on ebay. If you don't know how, then learn).

Hope that helps

agree with all the above except your outback must be way more expensive than ours! :-)))

I used to think Disney was expensive until I decided to try to plan a vacation somewhere else. I keep coming back to Disney not only because I love it there, but have found for what you're getting, the price is better than a lot of other places. You get what you pay for and in the case of Disney, that's quality, cleanliness, friendliness, and a time unlike you can get anywhere else. I went to Niagara Falls in Canada last summer and it cost more for an average day than Disney when all was said and done and, although it was nice, I don't feel I got nearly as much out of it as I do a day in Disney. Also, at Disney, you can tailor the trip to suit your needs. I can go all out or cut back and save a ton of money. I like that flexibility.

NO NO NO NO !!!! I would pay more than I do now to go. The problem is, is that people are so damn hipocritical! The second an attraction looks shabby or someone encounters a dirty restroom they want to know why. People don't realize the massive amounts of people and money it takes to run Disney. Can you imagin their electric bill?? Thousands work and need to be paid, they work around the clock to ensure everything is perfect for the guests. I knoe Disney makes a profit and i don't doubt that it's large but it is probably not as high as we think compared to the costs of operating the park. I don't think you can put a price on your children's happiness during their childhood ( or your happiness either , for those "big kids" that go)

It's cheaper than a trip to Niagara Falls... and I live in Toronto :earseek:

It's cheaper than a trip to Banff (Canada)...

It's cheaper than a trip to Australia (and I don't even have to pay for lodging in Australia)

It's cheaper than a trip to Indonesia (and I don't have to pay for lodging AND food there)

It's cheaper than a trip to Singapore...

One week at WDW costs about the same as living in Toronto.

Nope if you do it right for our family of 6 anyway it is usually cheaper then any other vacation we can do...

I think that Disney is very expensive. Our last trip for 8 nights we spent aprox 6,500 dollars. That's a nice chunk of change for going to a theme park. We all love the magic of Disney so we pay the high prices. For the same cost we could go to do all inclusive Hawaii, Caribbean..... Maybe at some point we will feel the need for a change but for now we love Mickey. Can't explain to co-workers why, we just do.

our trips to disney are the most expensive vacations we take probably because when we visit other places we like to sample "local culture" ( such as restaurants locals go to ect. ) which tend to be less expensive in other places and more expensive at disney ( thinking of disney as the local culture, not orlando or kisssimee). disney could be cheaper for us if we stayed off or ate off property ect which we don't do...we still go for lots less( 1/2) than a lot on these boards spend ( & we don't eat burgers 24/7) but it is less cheap than other places for a similar quality room/food experience. it's worth it but not something we'd be able to afford every year like we could maybe a trip to the mountains

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter