Is Disney World too Expensive?

Is WDW too Expensive?

• Nope. But I can only go twice in my lifetime because it costs an arm and a leg.

• No. The price is fair.

• Yes, but I'll go anyway.

• No, a good strategy will minimime your costs.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I find the Canadian response about Niagra Falls interesting. I live about 2 1/2 hours from the falls, and have gone often. We stay on the Canadian side because it is such a cheap trip for us. What a difference a border makes :)

As to the WDW question, it is expensive, but not unreasonable. The food is what makes it more expensive than it needs to be IMHO. Granted we are 'captive', but if McDonalds and Burger King (as an example) can make a tidy profit at their respective pricepoints, why does Disney feel the need to gouge people on the food. The same examples carry across to the WDW sit down restaurants and 'out of the world' counterparts...My .02 worth.

Blessings.

The main thing that gets me is the cost of their resorts!! Disney is for FAMILIES and we would have to spend $170 a night at a moderate at the time we would go to fit a family of five! Let alone, a $100 a night at a VALUE resort!! Now how is that value???? I don't mind at all about havin the extremely high priced ones, hey, if you can afford it, go for it!!!! But they need to understand that not all families are made up of 4 people, and not all families can afford $100 a night hotel rooms, that they say we cant all fit into! I think they should fix some of the value rooms so that those of us who are not THAT well off can still stay and get the Disney experience!!! Anyone else feel this way??

ps sorry if something similar to this has been posted, I voted and then had to state my opinion!!;)

ANd I also think that food, especially dinner, is VERY overpriced!!!

Originally posted by FatCow
It's cheaper than a trip to Niagara Falls... and I live in Toronto :earseek:

It's cheaper than a trip to Banff (Canada)...

It's cheaper than a trip to Australia (and I don't even have to pay for lodging in Australia)

It's cheaper than a trip to Indonesia (and I don't have to pay for lodging AND food there)

It's cheaper than a trip to Singapore...

One week at WDW costs about the same as living in Toronto.

It is cheaper then a week in Ocean City Maryland. We just got back from there and I paid more for the hotel then at the Poly. Entertainment is much more at the beach then at WDW. Our Disney trips are a bargain when compared to the beach trips or our ski trips.

You are overpaying if you pay rack rates- whether at WDW or anywhere else for that matter. AP rates for June are $59.00/night in a value and $74.00 for a moderate. Only one person needs the AP- and you have to buy admission anyways- so you can save a ton of $$ here. There are also packages available to drop the rate down if you don't want to buy an AP.

Usually, if you look around you can get a good deal.

Blessings :)

Yes it is expensive and that is the biggest complaint with my wife. I have done my best to help cut the cost. I used priceline on all reservations so for 6 nights hotel ran me 440 and that includes 2 nights one for each way down. I got my 3 day park hopper for 3 of us for about 500 dollars. Going down for a convention so we decided to split the 6 days 3 days for my convention 3 days at disney. I have over 460 dollars in food certificates to help cut the food cost down, and 120 in gas certificates to help with the gas cost. I hope with a family of 4 we can get the trip for under 1500 dollars. Yes my wife is right we have taken 2 trips the past 3 years for about 5 days each trip and still have not spent what we are spending for 6 days down there, but I did promise my 18 year old son his graduation gift of going to Disney and I would love to see my 2 year old son experience this.

If I do my math correctly, a 5 day plus pass from HSC is $245. Divide 245 by 5 days, and it is $49. Then divide that by the 4 parks you can hop to, and isn't it only $12.25 a park? Plus you get two add ons as well.

Yea, it can't be THAT expensive.

Originally posted by sanapunk
If I do my math correctly, a 5 day plus pass from HSC is $245. Divide 245 by 5 days, and it is $49. Then divide that by the 4 parks you can hop to, and isn't it only $12.25 a park? Plus you get two add ons as well.

Yea, it can't be THAT expensive.

Please understand that some of us don't park hop. And it's not like you are actually going to go to all four parks in one day, kudos to those who do!

ps.. no flames here! lol

Originally posted by IloveWINNIEthePOOH
Please understand that some of us don't park hop. And it's not like you are actually going to go to all four parks in one day, kudos to those who do!

ps.. no flames here! lol

Even so, if you only do one park a day, 49 dollars for admission isn't so bad.

When I go i'm gonna challange myself and try to do 4 parks in one day and see how much I actually get accomplished. that'll make for one interesting trip report. :crazy:

Originally posted by mic_key_mouse
I find the Canadian response about Niagra Falls interesting. I live about 2 1/2 hours from the falls, and have gone often. We stay on the Canadian side because it is such a cheap trip for us. What a difference a border makes :)

Its not so much the cost of the hotel that was expensive at Niagara Falls - got a good deal on the Comfort Inn at Clifton Hill. But to entertain yourself during the day was ridiculous. I'm used to paying once for my park hopper pass and having a week of entertainment, where at Niagara Falls its $15 for this 5 minutes, another $20 for the next five minutes, etc. I still find you get a lot for your money at Disney.

Originally posted by sanapunk
Even so, if you only do one park a day, 49 dollars for admission isn't so bad.

When I go i'm gonna challange myself and try to do 4 parks in one day and see how much I actually get accomplished. that'll make for one interesting trip report. :crazy:

You will waste too much time moving from park to park..you are more likely to get more done in either one or two parks tops...each transfer from park to park will likely "cost" you 45 minutes to an hour of your time...that is three hours "wasted."

Paul :wave:

Zurgs wife we have gone from a family of 3 to a family of 6 in one year (adoption) I would love some suggestions from you how to do Disney cheap. PM me PLEASE!

Originally posted by Cinderella822
Its not so much the cost of the hotel that was expensive at Niagara Falls - got a good deal on the Comfort Inn at Clifton Hill. But to entertain yourself during the day was ridiculous. I'm used to paying once for my park hopper pass and having a week of entertainment, where at Niagara Falls its $15 for this 5 minutes, another $20 for the next five minutes, etc. I still find you get a lot for your money at Disney.

We go to Niagara Falls to enjoy the falls, relax, and enjoy nature. We don't look to be entertained- one of the natural wonders of the world is plenty for us. We do the Maid of the Mist and a few other things- but my average cost per day with room, entertainment, food, etc. is WAY more at WDW than it has ever been at the falls. I used to live in Tucson, and the same applies to multiple trips to the Grand Canyon. We just don't feel the need to find distractions when surrounded by the awesome wonders of nature. I guess it all depends on the person going. I find I get a lot more for my money at places like Yosimite, Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, etc. than I ever will at WDW. Will I quit going to Disney? No way. Twenty four trips down- and planning the next one despite the fact it is an expensive place to vacation :)

Blessings.

I agree about the trips to "natural wonders" as being cheaper...personally find the belive it or not type places boring so we stick to the sights which is much cheaper than disney and since rooms are comparative, we would never pay more there than for an off property type rate at wdw

....but for apples to apples...a day at Cedar point ( a large thrill ride amusement park near us) is about the same price as a day at disney minus the room ( close enough to drive home) and we never go to Cedar Point since husband gets motion sickness and can not ride much there and still has to pay full price for a ticket. he will pay about the same for a ticket to wdw and at least actually be able to enjoy most of the attractions.

as for price gouging...what fair, amusement park or what ever doesn't do that..at least with the orlando/kissimmee nearby tourist industry you can have your pick of cheaper places to go off site if you are really concerned about the food cost for dinner. for lunch in the parks we can eat for about the same at any other park type venue. ( at our dinky little county fair last year a gyro was 5 bucks and tiny!!!!!)

I feel like most of it is too expensive...BUT I would pay for it as long as I have it. The magic isn't the same ANYWHERE else. It is worth every penny.

On the other hand, I am amazed all of the people that go on a Disney Cruise. I go to WDW at least every 2 years, but can't bear to pay the prices for a Disney Cruise. I could go on 3 7 night cruises for the price of one Disney one. Even on brand new ships. I want so badly to experience that magic, but I just can't bring myself to do it.:(

jajuan, there's a current thread on the cruise line forum asking just how people can afford to go on Disney Cruises. We're trying one for points, lowest cabin category, we just have to see what the attraction is. We think (hope) Castaway Cay is so special that the whole deal is worth it. We'll see. Until this point, I've agreed, every quote we got for one was just too high!

Bobbi:D

Of course WDW is expensive but you have to expect that. I still go a lot and I think that it's worth it.:bounce:

We are just regular retired people and we still manage to go to DW about twice a year. I spend money on things that are worth it to us. We watch what we spend while at DW but cannot remember ever feeling badly about not being able to do anything. If we really want it we can afford it, we just do not waste money on other things.

I cannot think of another place that has everything all in easy reach that we enjoy. Gas prices were soaring when we left on our last trip but why worry since once we arrived we were on Disney transportation. If we had spent two weeks elsewhere we would have been spending a whole lot more on gas than we did on our trip down and back.

I live in a huge house and do not have the need for fancy in sleeping accomadations at DW so we go and have a ball. See you all in Oct/Nov!!

Slightly Goofy/Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter