Is DVC worth it for me?

I feel like there’s likely another thread regarding this here somewhere, but I haven’t found it. I also feel like this could spark a debate. My fiancé and I are considering buying into DVC. Since it’s just the two of us for now, we’d be perfectly fine in studios (and therefore requiring fewer points...at first). Our top choices for home resort are BLT and Boardwalk, since I know that will effect my follow up question.

I’ve heard people say it before that if you’re only staying in Studios then DVC is not worth it. Would you agree with this? Also, is it difficult booking studios (whether home resort or elsewhere)? Or would it make more sense to wait until we can manage enough points to afford 1BR stays. We would definitely be annual visitors(we could live with every other year with a beneficial contract).

Thoughts? Opinions?
If your thinking of BLT and BWV your proximity to the parks is a Huge perk ! Buying resale can cut your cost of staying in half ! Check out how much it would cost to stay at those resorts! If you don’t mind staying at the All Stars then you probably don’t need dvc. But if you want to stay at a nicer resort for less money dvc is the way to go. There are 2 schools of thought, Buy where you want to stay BLT or BWV then you can book at 11 months. Or buy in at the cheapest place you can.Right now that would be Saratoga Springs it has a relatively low price per point and it has lower annual dues and then you can stay there or book what’s open at seven months. Good Luck !

If your thinking of BLT and BWV your proximity to the parks is a Huge perk ! Buying resale can cut your cost of staying in half ! Check out how much it would cost to stay at those resorts! If you don’t mind staying at the All Stars then you probably don’t need dvc. But if you want to stay at a nicer resort for less money dvc is the way to go. There are 2 schools of thought, Buy where you want to stay BLT or BWV then you can book at 11 months. Or buy in at the cheapest place you can.Right now that would be Saratoga Springs it has a relatively low price per point and it has lower annual dues and then you can stay there or book what’s open at seven months. Good Luck !

Hey thanks! I’ve also considered the option of buying a less expensive resort. Naturally my main concern is the leftover availability at 7 months. Since we’d likely be using studios, I’m guessing that’d become an issue. I’m honestly considering looking for a short stay to check out either SS or OKW to see if we enjoy them enough to take that route

Hey thanks! I’ve also considered the option of buying a less expensive resort. Naturally my main concern is the leftover availability at 7 months. Since we’d likely be using studios, I’m guessing that’d become an issue. I’m honestly considering looking for a short stay to check out either SS or OKW to see if we enjoy them enough to take that route
There won't be much in way if studios at 7 month window. Likely SSR and AKV if any. I will go look for Feb 1 and tell you what studios you can get and that is low season for DVC so there SHOULD be a ton available.....BRB

So the week of Feb 1-8 in studio is only fully available at: SSR, OKW, BLT, Poly, AKV (not value or club levels though). That is one of the slowest times and availability is lacking in studios.

So the week of Feb 1-8 in studio is only fully available at: SSR, OKW, BLT, Poly, AKV (not value or club levels though). That is one of the slowest times and availability is lacking in studios.

Funny the POV as I would say that gives a lot of availability. Almost 1/2 of the resorts with the 7 month window open. And Feb isn't all that slow IMO.

Point requirements go up on Feb 1 to Dream Season from Adventure Season. That may play into it as well.

Thank you for this update! Extremely helpful

Want to add BLT standard view is not fully available. ANd only savanna view is available fully at Jambo while savanna and standard is available at Kidani.

Feb is low season for DVC (booking wise, in part because it costs more in points and also because nothing special is happening then). High season is end of Sept through early Jan (in part due to it being low point season but it is higher demand season). Then other holidays like Easter/Spring break, July 4th, etc. Maybe President's Day weekend but that is later in the month than Feb 1-8. That week really has nothing going...Flower and Garden isn't until March. Valentine's Day isn't even close enough. Some public schools have a winter break but that's even in the end of Jan.

DVC folks tend to like Adventure and Choice seasons due to low point cost....then they like Magic and Premier due to being holiday and schools out times. So that Dream season (Feb 1-8 as well as Feb 8-15, May 1-June 10 and Aug 16-31) is kinda last picked puppy of the litter. And that has limited availability for exactly 7 months out from today...in studios.

Last edited:
Want to add BLT standard view is not fully available. ANd only savanna view is available fully at Jambo while savanna and standard is available at Kidani.

Feb is low season for DVC (booking wise, in part because it costs more in points and also because nothing special is happening then). High season is end of Sept through early Jan (in part due to it being low point season but it is higher demand season). Then other holidays like Easter/Spring break, July 4th, etc. Maybe President's Day weekend but that is later in the month than Feb 1-8. That week really has nothing going...Flower and Garden isn't until March. Valentine's Day isn't even close enough. Some public schools have a winter break but that's even in the end of Jan.

DVC folks tend to like Adventure and Choice seasons due to low point cost....then they like Magic and Premier due to being holiday and schools out times. So that Dream season (Feb 1-8 as well as Feb 8-15, May 1-June 10 and Aug 16-31) is kinda last picked puppy of the litter. And that has limited availability for exactly 7 months out from today...in studios.

Disney is now focusing on increasing attendance in Jan-Feb and began Epcot Festival of the Arts in 2017. In 2019 the attendance during that time was up over 20% and that festival has received very good reviews this past year as the best of all the festivals. Like all other times things are changing and Feb should not be expected to be a slow time. Slower than other times, yes.

Disney is now focusing on increasing attendance in Jan-Feb and began Epcot Festival of the Arts in 2017. In 2019 the attendance during that time was up over 20% and that festival has received very good reviews this past year as the best of all the festivals. Like all other times things are changing and Feb should not be expected to be a slow time. Slower than other times, yes.
Slowest of the busy times ;-)

Oh, and as a big Epcot festival go'er....we have been to every F&W in about 7 past years plus 3 F&G ...but not a single time have we been to the Festival of the Arts so I am not sure how big a draw that one is. Most DVC folks look for F&W (cause you can also do MNSSHP too). Then F&G has now gotten big.

Last edited:
Just remember that this is deeded real estate, and joint ownership has risks with it. Might want to wait until after you are married.

Slowest of the busy times ;-)

Oh, and as a big Epcot festival go'er....we have been to every F&W in about 7 past years plus 3 F&G ...but not a single time have we been to the Festival of the Arts so I am not sure how big a draw that one is. Most DVC folks look for F&W (cause you can also do MNSSHP too). Then F&G has now gotten big.
We booked four nights at the end of January just to attend the Arts festival. We also have F&W and F&G booked, plus Dec for Festival of the Holidays. We hit all these festivals.

We booked four nights at the end of January just to attend the Arts festival. We also have F&W and F&G booked, plus Dec for Festival of the Holidays. We hit all these festivals.
Yeah, we've done the Holiday festival twice too. Just not been there for the Arts one. Yet.

Point is...studio availability at 7 months was asked about by OP. And DVC folks typically go for the 2 higher point seasons as it's during holidays and breaks...and they also go for the 2 lower point seasons as it takes less points. So the 2 middle seasons are typically the least desired (yes, all the time is busy anymore...but talking about folks booking DVC rooms). So, the current 7 month window happens to fall in early Feb (middle season that is least desired). And it has limited availability in studios. If OP wants to buy and aim to book studios at other home resort at 7 months...seems like best they can hope for is AKV, OKW and SSR with BLT and POLY in the least desired times. Yes, one can waitlist and/or stalk availability or book split stays or shorter trips and get other resorts. However if a buyer wants a specific studio room (specific view type and specific resort and specific season) then they may want to buy that resort (unless it is SSR, OKW or AKV- standard or savanna...and even OKW is a tough studio to get sometimes).

Last edited:
Yeah, we've done the Holiday festival twice too. Just not been there for the Arts one. Yet.

Point is...studio availability at 7 months was asked about by OP. And DVC folks typically go for the 2 higher point seasons as it's during holidays and breaks...and they also go for the 2 lower point seasons as it takes less points. So the 2 middle seasons are typically the least desired (yes, all the time is busy anymore...but talking about folks booking DVC rooms). So, the current 7 month window happens to fall in early Feb (middle season that is least desired). And it has limited availability in studios. If OP wants to buy and aim to book studios at other home resort at 7 months...seems like best they can hope for is AKV, OKW and SSR with BLT and POLY in the least desired times. Yes, one can waitlist and/or stalk availability or book split stays or shorter trips and get other resorts. However if a buyer wants a specific studio room (specific view type and specific resort and specific season) then they may want to buy that resort (unless it is SSR, OKW or AKV- standard or savanna...and even OKW is a tough studio to get sometimes).

Very informative! Thank you!

We recently bought small contracts at both Boardwalk and Grand Californian (one of the perks of living in the Heartland is being right in the middle of both resorts!). Just enough for a studio for a week every two or three years. We rented points at and fell in love with both of these resorts. These are the two resorts we want to stay at in future visits, so the 11 month home resort booking period was our main reason to buy. VGC is especially hard to rent. We had to split stay in 2017. And we couldn't find any rentals for our trip next May.

We recently bought small contracts at both Boardwalk and Grand Californian (one of the perks of living in the Heartland is being right in the middle of both resorts!). Just enough for a studio for a week every two or three years. We rented points at and fell in love with both of these resorts. These are the two resorts we want to stay at in future visits, so the 11 month home resort booking period was our main reason to buy. VGC is especially hard to rent. We had to split stay in 2017. And we couldn't find any rentals for our trip next May.

This is a growing concern of mine. When i think about it i consider buying enough points for a week in a studio, but also keep reading studios are too difficult to book these days (especially Boardwalk and BLT) so I don’t want to buy points that I essentially can’t use

This is a growing concern of mine. When i think about it i consider buying enough points for a week in a studio, but also keep reading studios are too difficult to book these days (especially Boardwalk and BLT) so I don’t want to buy points that I essentially can’t use
You need to buy enough points for a one bedroom. If you can get a studio at your home resort, you have a few points left over for next year. If you can't get a home resort studio, at least you can book at one bedroom at 11 months out. Don't plan on booking at seven months out.

It's not a generic year round issue although there's nothing to say it can't continue to become one. And BLT does not have any great studio issue I'm aware of beyond the tricky first/second week of Dec and certain holidays. The cheapest studios have always had issues and are most often what is being complained about even if people aren't including that info. Don't buy for the cheapest room categories nor the limited room categories. The last 3 1/2 months of the year are getting worse but if that's not the time you go then it still is not a big issue at 11 months if you can book at 8am. And if you aren't absolutely hooked to certain dates that also eases concerns. There are resorts that are easier and some that are worse but if you are ok with BLT lakeview and BWV pool/garden views, can book right at 11 months and aren't going at the busiest DVC times I'd believe it would still be fine. I'd be more concerned with BWV than BLT but as I outlined I still know you can book BWV studios at 11 months much of the year. And no walking required.

I feel like there’s likely another thread regarding this here somewhere, but I haven’t found it. I also feel like this could spark a debate. My fiancé and I are considering buying into DVC. Since it’s just the two of us for now, we’d be perfectly fine in studios (and therefore requiring fewer points...at first). Our top choices for home resort are BLT and Boardwalk, since I know that will effect my follow up question.

I’ve heard people say it before that if you’re only staying in Studios then DVC is not worth it. Would you agree with this? Also, is it difficult booking studios (whether home resort or elsewhere)? Or would it make more sense to wait until we can manage enough points to afford 1BR stays. We would definitely be annual visitors(we could live with every other year with a beneficial contract).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Personally I do not see the point of DVC for studios. If we had been happy in studios we would have been happy in a hotel room in a moderate and saved our money. For us the whole point of DVC was the 1 and 2 bedrooms to have family space, laundry and a kitchen.

You need to buy enough points for a one bedroom. If you can get a studio at your home resort, you have a few points left over for next year. If you can't get a home resort studio, at least you can book at one bedroom at 11 months out. Don't plan on booking at seven months out.

This what I’m starting to come around to. I have 0 issue with booking 11 months out, but do want to make sure I can book something

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter