Is it okay to put family first? (Response to royal family stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the type of thing I will never agree with. It is so tiresome. I am not saying there can't be a double standard happening. But I do not buy that it's automatically "because racism". Can't Meghan Markle just be unlikable because she's unlikable? I mean I know I am not racist, so, therefore I can't smugly assume that everyone ELSE who doesn't buy into her act must be racist.

First of all, it's not automatic. Read some what has been said about her over the past year. I realize understanding what I said requires thoughtfulness. I'm curious what you find unlikable about her. You don't know her or her husband. Finding someone unlikable based on your outsider perceptions...well that's kind of smug.

So you wouldn’t expect a 36 year old woman who had been a Hollywood celebrity of sorts who had been married and divorced and had other relationships as well to be more capable of handling things than a 19 year old girl?

I find that interesting. I was a lot more capable of handling life at 36 than I was at 19.

If she wasn’t more capable of handling life like a 36 year old adult, then perhaps Harry should have been more cognizant of that, being that he was the one familiar with Royal life. His rush to marry out his seemingly fragile wife in the same position as his seemingly fragile mother was in. So for all his bluster about protecting his family, his judgment was apparently off.

Rush to marry? DH and I dated ten months before we were engaged (23 years and going still). Harry and Meghan were both in their mid 30s. You usually know and understand what you want by then. Berating this couple because they didn't grow up together as William and Kate basically did is so archaic and silly. Even William should have kept quiet on the "don't rush this", but he likely doesn't understand because he was so young when he met Kate. Personally - I think MM is capable of handling life (she was a successful working actress maintaining a private life while racking up five million dollars), I think no one is capable of handling the British press's obsession/nastiness with the royal family, and I think MM and Harry are being very mature and saying "we're done".

Rush to marry? DH and I dated ten months before we were engaged (23 years and going still). Harry and Meghan were both in their mid 30s. You usually know and understand what you want by then. Berating this couple because they didn't grow up together as William and Kate basically did is so archaic and silly. Even William should have kept quiet on the "don't rush this", but he likely doesn't understand because he was so young when he met Kate. Personally - I think MM is capable of handling life (she was a successful working actress maintaining a private life while racking up five million dollars), I think no one is capable of handling the British press's obsession/nastiness with the royal family, and I think MM and Harry are being very mature and saying "we're done".
::yes:: Chances are very good that you've got this right. Their situations are night-and-day different. And let's not forget William's eventual bride was long referred to as "Wait-y Katie" during the years he spent considering his options. She really wanted that Prince, and didn't let anything (including his apparent lack of urgency) deter her.

Last edited:
First of all, it's not automatic. Read some what has been said about her over the past year. I realize understanding what I said requires thoughtfulness. I'm curious what you find unlikable about her. You don't know her or her husband. Finding someone unlikable based on your outsider perceptions...well that's kind of smug.

Nope, having an opinion doesn't make anyone smug - it's expecting everyone to agree with your opinion (and labeling and trying to marginalize anyone who doesn't) that is smug. My outsider perception is really not that deep or sinister. We form perceptions of people in the public eye...gee Tom Hanks seems like a nice guy, or this other guy seems like a complete jerk, or whatever. She struck me as a phony. Reading about her (her seeming lack of any good relationships with friends or relatives, other than her mom and a few stylists), the fact that Harry's relationships with every single person in his life seems to have suffered greatly since she came along, stuff like that), only solidified my opinion.

You seem to have strong thoughts and feelings based on your "outsider perceptions" as well. Go for it. Just don't throw around strong charges like racism about people who don't agree with you.

Nope, having an opinion doesn't make anyone smug - it's expecting everyone to agree with your opinion (and labeling and trying to marginalize anyone who doesn't) that is smug. My outsider perception is really not that deep or sinister. We form perceptions of people in the public eye...gee Tom Hanks seems like a nice guy, or this other guy seems like a complete jerk, or whatever. She struck me as a phony. Reading about her (her seeming lack of any good relationships with friends or relatives, other than her mom and a few stylists), the fact that Harry's relationships with every single person in his life seems to have suffered greatly since she came along, stuff like that), only solidified my opinion.

You seem to have strong thoughts and feelings based on your "outsider perceptions" as well. Go for it. Just don't throw around strong charges like racism about people who don't agree with you.

You can have an opinion without being hateful...see Pea-N-Me's posts. Yes, I believe lots of racism played a part in the horrible comments said about MM. I never said anyone was racist for not agreeing with me. The defensiveness of those that didn't agree with was...interesting to say the least. So why judge her on the lack of relationships with her dysfunctional family members and not on the relationship with her mom, stylists, and other friends? I saw more friends in her bridal party than I did in Kate's.

With their wallets. Don't the buy the rags that take the invasive pictures, don't read the gossip columns, and sites.

Sensible, but unfortunately the sane people that avoid those rags are far outnumbered by those who buy them. I'm having flashbacks to Diana's brother's statement after her death accusing the people who sold those magazines of having "blood on their hands". I get it.

Last edited:

You or me or anyone here not waiting is very different than H&M’s situation. Unless someone here is royalty?

Waiting would perhaps meant learning more about the ins and outs of the Royal life. The silly rules about dressing and eating and speaking to press and all the rest. Seeing firsthand how the royals are handled by the paparazzi and other press. Which, btw, is very different than the way TV stars are handled.

This isn’t a normal marriage with normal ups and downs. It’s never going to be. They will have those normal things and then another whole set of problems.

Many fairly newly married couples make choices about whose family they will live close to or spend time with or who they may distance themselves from. At the time, they may see it as a way of forging their own way and making the other person happy. But later one part of the couple may come to realize that their choice did not make themself happy at all. And then the problems start. Maybe that won’t happen here, but it is a possibility. In all reality Harry is giving up a lot. And yes, Harry may have been wanting this for a long time. Just has she may have wanted a prince for a long time. But sometimes it’s a good thing when we don’t get what we wish for and only time will tell if that would have been the case here.

If Harry has truly wanted out for years then I hope it’s all he thought it would be. I really do. He didn’t have a choice of being a part of the royal family.

As for being mature, well that is all in how much his grandmother was blind sided by their announcement. If she didn’t know it was coming then no that was not very mature of them at all.

You or me or anyone here not waiting is very different than H&M’s situation. Unless someone here is royalty?

Waiting would perhaps meant learning more about the ins and outs of the Royal life. The silly rules about dressing and eating and speaking to press and all the rest. Seeing firsthand how the royals are handled by the paparazzi and other press. Which, btw, is very different than the way TV stars are handled.

This isn’t a normal marriage with normal ups and downs. It’s never going to be. They will have those normal things and then another whole set of problems.

Many fairly newly married couples make choices about whose family they will live close to or spend time with or who they may distance themselves from. At the time, they may see it as a way of forging their own way and making the other person happy. But later one part of the couple may come to realize that their choice did not make themself happy at all. And then the problems start. Maybe that won’t happen here, but it is a possibility. In all reality Harry is giving up a lot. And yes, Harry may have been wanting this for a long time. Just has she may have wanted a prince for a long time. But sometimes it’s a good thing when we don’t get what we wish for and only time will tell if that would have been the case here.

If Harry has truly wanted out for years then I hope it’s all he thought it would be. I really do. He didn’t have a choice of being a part of the royal family.

As for being mature, well that is all in how much his grandmother was blind sided by their announcement. If she didn’t know it was coming then no that was not very mature of them at all.

Well...you figured it out. I'm of royalty. Anyway....

You can't help who you fall in love with. Having to prepare for this kind of marriage is kind of a drag. The monarchy has been in need of an adjustment for a while. So bring it on.

As for the "blindsiding"....we don't know how it all went down. And maybe it was necessary. This is a family that made his mother miserable and he didn't want to give them time to be in control and make things difficult for them. Think of it like Katie Holmes getting a divorce from Tom Cruise. Doing it slowly and with protocol would have been detrimental to her. Calculating and preparing did her and her daughter a lot of good. And no I am not suggesting the royal family is anywhere near as insane as Tom Cruise.

Last edited:
New update from the Queen..

H & M officially no longer working members of the Royal Family. Effective Spring 2020

Will no longer be referred to as HRH. but simply as Harry Duke of Sussex and Meghan Dutchess of Sussex

Will repay the costs of the Refurb of Frogmore Cottage and it will remain their private residence in the UK - their home base there

Charles will continue to fund/support the couple, once William takes over Charles’ role it will be up to him if he continues that funding...

This all happened very quickly 😳

Exactly. I was quite impartial about MM for a long time. Then the stories of her abhorrent behavior towards Kate Middleton's staff was troubling. Demanding the SMELL of the church be altered to fit her tastes, tacky. Her personal assistant walking out after 6 months, her inability to get along with William and Kate as well as her own family. Her own friends even said she was obsessed with Princess Diana and the Royal family and claimed she would marry into it one day.

All signs point to the fact that she is an extremely difficult person. Laughable if she thought SHE would ever be the "People's Princess". I give that marriage 1 year.....tops.

New update from the Queen..

H & M officially no longer working members of the Royal Family. Effective Spring 2020

Will no longer be referred to as HRH. but simply as Harry Duke of Sussex and Meghan Dutchess of Sussex

Will repay the costs of the Refurb of Frogmore Cottage and it will remain their private residence in the UK - their home base there

Charles will continue to fund/support the couple, once William takes over Charles’ role it will be up to him if he continues that funding...

This all happened very quickly 😳
Adding a link

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter