is it true that people steal from Fish Extenders??

Thing is, say walking into my stateroom, was a father followed by family, cruise magnets, I know some of it was adults. We all think children, or teenagers, but it isn't, it seems some just have low standards generally.

What??? Lol.
But if your saying what I think your saying, your probably right. I can see someone a little intoxicated thinking it was funny to move some of them.

What??? Lol.
But if your saying what I think your saying, your probably right. I can see someone a little intoxicated thinking it was funny to move some of them.

I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Embarkation day, concierge, we are in a suite, we get to our room 1 pm, the general rooms open at 1.30 pm.

We got in our suite 1pm, but had to leave our door open re a maintenance issue, stateroom host went off as we were in.

Que, 1.30 pm. We hear as the general staterooms all open, a male voice. " let's go and look around a suite" Dad, followed by Mum, kids come in, we are sitting in there. If you visualise a cartoon, full stop with dad stopping and all the others crash in behind you will get the picture. They do an about turn on seeing us in.

Why would anyone do it?

Cruise magnets and knock down ginger.

Suites have an eyehole to look out, you can hear people at the door, some undertaking the mischief are adults.

Not drunk, but wilful acts.

Embarkation day, concierge, we are in a suite, we get to our room 1 pm, the general rooms open at 1.30 pm.

We got in our suite 1pm, but had to leave our door open re a maintenance issue, stateroom host went off as we were in.

Que, 1.30 pm. We hear as the general staterooms all open, a male voice. " let's go and look around a suite" Dad, followed by Mum, kids come in, we are sitting in there. If you visualise a cartoon, full stop with dad stopping and all the others crash in behind you will get the picture. They do an about turn on seeing us in.

Why would anyone do it?

I would assume they did it because they wanted to see what a suite looked like. Would this of bothered you if they had come in before you were in your state room? I would guess not, because you wouldn't have even known. Upon discovering that there were people already in the suite, you state they immediately left.

I personally looked inside of an HA room several years ago when the door was open. I was planning a cruise with an older relative who had some mobility issues, and I wanted to see how spacious the room was for someone in a wheelchair. Sue me....

I would assume they did it because they wanted to see what a suite looked like. Would this of bothered you if they had come in before you were in your state room? I would guess not, because you wouldn't have even known. Upon discovering that there were people already in the suite, you state they immediately left.

I personally looked inside of an HA room several years ago when the door was open. I was planning a cruise with an older relative who had some mobility issues, and I wanted to see how spacious the room was for someone in a wheelchair. Sue me....
Err yes, it would bother me, and I am sure most people? - your guess is incorrect.

My room is deep cleaned, the bathroom is sanitised, new bed linens, I paid $$$$ for the room, my host works hard, what do they do in there? Photos? Or take items? Wave phones, castaway club gift?

Where have they been? Before the ship, on the ship? Just been in a rest room? Walked in, post cleaning?

To me, I personally would never ever consider it, let alone do it, it's just plain wrong, you haven't paid for it, it's someone else's. They paid for a pristine room.

If they walk about, and mess something up, then who is told off? The stateroom host?

What if we went in at 1 pm, left, the host then leaves the door open, and we have items of value left out, is that still OK, for them to have a walk around?

I think a " polite" way if interested is to " ask" not presume?

Last edited:

Oh my goodness, you mean someone might take a photo of your state room? The horror! I can't even imagine how awful that would be. I think it's a real stretch to assume someone who maybe just wanted to see what the room looked like was actually there to cause damage, steal property, or contaminate the cleanliness of your room.

I don't think I've ever made the assumption that my room is pristine. All the linens are clean, the bathroom has been cleaned, and the floor vacuumed. But, I don't believe that the sofa has been sanitized, the deck chairs have been covered in antibacterial spray, and an ozone process is been used to eliminate every possible germ.

Oh my goodness, you mean someone might take a photo of your state room? The horror! I can't even imagine how awful that would be. I think it's a real stretch to assume someone who maybe just wanted to see what the room looked like was actually there to cause damage, steal property, or contaminate the cleanliness of your room.

I don't think I've ever made the assumption that my room is pristine. All the linens are clean, the bathroom has been cleaned, and the floor vacuumed. But, I don't believe that the sofa has been sanitized, the deck chairs have been covered in antibacterial spray, and an ozone process is been used to eliminate every possible germ.

Clearly, you operate to different standards.

I would also feel very uncomfortable to find someone in my room to look around and/or take pictures. It is a boundary issue. More point blank, it's just weird.

I can agree to disagree with you on this point. I do not find it unusual that people might be interested to see what A suite or verandah cabin looks like, if they are not staying at one. As I said, I was interested to see what an HA room looked like. If someone has looked in my room, before I have entered it, I wouldn't know, I know it wouldn't bother me. If someone popped his or head in my room at 1:30, assuming the door was already open, saw that I was there, and then left. That wouldn't bother me either. If it bothers y'all, that's fine. I might remind you however that hundreds, if not thousands, of people have stayed in that room before you stayed in it, and hundreds, if not thousands, will be staying at it after you leave. Some of them might even have taken some pictures…

I can agree to disagree with you on this point. I do not find it unusual that people might be interested to see what A suite or verandah cabin looks like, if they are not staying at one. As I said, I was interested to see what an HA room looked like. If someone has looked in my room, before I have entered it, I wouldn't know, I know it wouldn't bother me. If someone popped his or head in my room at 1:30, assuming the door was already open, saw that I was there, and then left. That wouldn't bother me either. If it bothers y'all, that's fine. I might remind you however that hundreds, if not thousands, of people have stayed in that room before you stayed in it, and hundreds, if not thousands, will be staying at it after you leave. Some of them might even have taken some pictures…
I'm in your camp. Can't imagine it being a big deal or a deal breaker. If the door is open on the first day I would think that the stateroom host was in it and if I wanted to see what it was like I would think nothing of popping my head around the corner. I never have because I really don't care what other cabins look like or what they have. Doesn't mean I think its wrong of someone to do it. Its not like they are going to take a nap in the bed or use the toilet and leave the seat up. Plus I'd rather them do it first day then during the cruise. And hey, if they want my CC gift, well, I have 5 of the same one. ;)
I'm trying to think how important would I have to be for this to be an issue? Lol.

It's a violation issue. What if they hadn't been there when the family trapsed in? What if they'd come to their room and found the family in there looking around? What if that was your home? How would you feel if someone was 'just looking around' your home? For the length of the cruise, this room is their home. If someone wants a look around, they can knock on the door and politely request a look.

You said 'Its not like they are going to take a nap in the bed or use the toilet and leave the seat up.' but you actually don't know their intent. Maybe one of the kids did have to go to the bathroom and they thought- let's use this room's bathroom. You don't know what anyone's intent is in entering someone else's room. And if their bags had been delivered, there's more of a violation. Maybe it's all just an innocent look around... or maybe not. You just don't know.

Once you board the ship, the room you paid for should be entirely yours. If someone wants a tour of a room out of curiosity or for future planning purposes, the proper way to handle that would be for them to request a tour at guest services. GS could either arrange for them to look through a room that is unoccupied or maybe make arrangements at the end of the cruise once the family that paid for that room has checked out. One person's curiosity is not justification for walking into a room paid for by someone else!

I totally agree this is a violation. I think about the times we have paid for items/gifts to be delivered to our stateroom. I wouldn't want anyone touching or looking through these items, which include fruit and other things we eat or drink. I also wouldn't want strangers possibly reading the personal notes my husband or I include when we order gifts for one another. Not because they are dirty (he wishes), but because they are personal! That room is prepared for us and is not open for tours, regardless how curious someone else may be or how harmless they think their curiosity is. If you want to see a specific room, either pay for it or ask for a tour the right way.

Well I think what might be missing in this whole conversation is that the stateroom door should only be open when the attendant is in it. Other than that it should be closed. There would be no way for someone to walk into any room to look around if no one is there. If the door was open and they stuck their head in then the room steward should shoo them away or show them around. Again, its not like they are going to just leave cabin doors open for people to wander around in. If I were DF I would have closed my door if it was that important to have privacy. Maintenance has access to the room as does the room steward. No need to have the door open.

And if someone did peak their head around the corner while I was in my cabin it would not bother me a bit to invite them to look around. But that's just me. I don't see it as a big deal. That's JMO, I know others don't feel the same and that's okay to.

Well I think what might be missing in this whole conversation is that the stateroom door should only be open when the attendant is in it. Other than that it should be closed. There would be no way for someone to walk into any room to look around if no one is there. If the door was open and they stuck their head in then the room steward should shoo them away or show them around. Again, its not like they are going to just leave cabin doors open for people to wander around in. If I were DF I would have closed my door if it was that important to have privacy. Maintenance has access to the room as does the room steward. No need to have the door open.

And if someone did peak their head around the corner while I was in my cabin it would not bother me a bit to invite them to look around. But that's just me. I don't see it as a big deal. That's JMO, I know others don't feel the same and that's okay to.
If I were in my room and someone "poked their head in" to have a look/see, I'd be surprised, but not feel violated. I totally understand why they do it. Just have a laugh and move on.

As you say, if the door is open, that's a risk you take. If it were important to me, I'd shut the door.

It's a violation issue. What if they hadn't been there when the family trapsed in? What if they'd come to their room and found the family in there looking around? What if that was your home? How would you feel if someone was 'just looking around' your home? For the length of the cruise, this room is their home. If someone wants a look around, they can knock on the door and politely request a look.

You said 'Its not like they are going to take a nap in the bed or use the toilet and leave the seat up.' but you actually don't know their intent. Maybe one of the kids did have to go to the bathroom and they thought- let's use this room's bathroom. You don't know what anyone's intent is in entering someone else's room. And if their bags had been delivered, there's more of a violation. Maybe it's all just an innocent look around... or maybe not. You just don't know.

Once you board the ship, the room you paid for should be entirely yours. If someone wants a tour of a room out of curiosity or for future planning purposes, the proper way to handle that would be for them to request a tour at guest services. GS could either arrange for them to look through a room that is unoccupied or maybe make arrangements at the end of the cruise once the family that paid for that room has checked out. One person's curiosity is not justification for walking into a room paid for by someone else!

I totally agree this is a violation. I think about the times we have paid for items/gifts to be delivered to our stateroom. I wouldn't want anyone touching or looking through these items, which include fruit and other things we eat or drink. I also wouldn't want strangers possibly reading the personal notes my husband or I include when we order gifts for one another. Not because they are dirty (he wishes), but because they are personal! That room is prepared for us and is not open for tours, regardless how curious someone else may be or how harmless they think their curiosity is. If you want to see a specific room, either pay for it or ask for a tour the right way.

You both fully articulate this very well, it's a " no go" a " line you do not cross" - if you are a polite person, and wanted to look at someone's cabin, then knock and ask, do not presume you can just walk around to take photos and think that justifies it.

It's your space, it's been deep cleaned for you for that length of the cruise.

If the cruisers who decided to have a look in mine thought it was all OK, why did they stop in their tracks as soon as they realised we were in it, thry left embrassed. Not even a sorry.

I am quite shocked some posters here defend it and condone it. It's personal space, it's why we are given door keys!

If I were in my room and someone "poked their head in" to have a look/see, I'd be surprised, but not feel violated. I totally understand why they do it. Just have a laugh and move on.

As you say, if the door is open, that's a risk you take. If it were important to me, I'd shut the door.
And it was a,ready clearly explained, maintenancebeware working on the door, in fact the air conditioning unit above the door but had left for a moment. It's not a risk we took it was circumstances.

So it's OK to walk around other cruisers rooms? Without asking?

My first cruise was to Alaska, on Tracy Arm Day I went into my room, the door closed but probably wasn't closed all the way. I thought it was. Definitely not locked. I was watching the scenery and listening to the commentary when this stranger barged in with a tray of food. She looked at me, I looked at her then told her it was my room. She said her room was a number which had a number wrong from mine. I'm sure mistakes happen, like what happened to me, but there are very rude people that have no boundaries and think it is alright to barge into a room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter