Is it worth it to go from PRFQ to BW?

Thanks everyone! I just might switch us. I keep a seperate savings account for just Disney trips :goodvibes. I have been looking at how much is in there now, what my spending plan is for the trip and there is more than needed IF we keep our FQ room right now so maybe I will sit down and figure out how much more will be in there before we leave and see if there is enough. I am just not comfortable with spending everything in the account even if there is just a little left over I am ok with it (I like the buffer for emergencies like we spent to much on the credit card while there). Since this is our first trip without the boys, I am guessing we won't spend as much as normal but I have budgeted for normal trip spending just in case, we are going to F&W and I do intend to do some shopping on this trip (no kids to "hurry" me through the store or chase around making sure they aren't trying to buy everything they see :rotfl2:).

Thanks everyone! I just might switch us. I keep a seperate savings account for just Disney trips :goodvibes. I have been looking at how much is in there now, what my spending plan is for the trip and there is more than needed IF we keep our FQ room right now so maybe I will sit down and figure out how much more will be in there before we leave and see if there is enough. I am just not comfortable with spending everything in the account even if there is just a little left over I am ok with it (I like the buffer for emergencies like we spent to much on the credit card while there). Since this is our first trip without the boys, I am guessing we won't spend as much as normal but I have budgeted for normal trip spending just in case, we are going to F&W and I do intend to do some shopping on this trip (no kids to "hurry" me through the store or chase around making sure they aren't trying to buy everything they see :rotfl2:).

Should you decide to stay at BWI, I really would suggest that you and your DH plan to spend time in that area. It really is a wonderful location and the Boardwalk lights up at night. I suggest the same for those folks staying at AKL, spend time enjoying what you paid for. We tend to stay deluxe more often now, and we use the resort and that location as part of the vacation, and look at the parks as part of the package, not as the focus of the entire trip. Have a fun adults only trip!

If you think you are going to spend much of your time at Epcot and HS I would choose Boardwalk. Walking to 2 parks cant be beat. Also, I think that once the Skyliner is in, that whole area is going to drasticly change and be more crowded (Just my opinion). So, now is a good time to try Boardwalk. We like to get parkhoppers and go to see Illuminations several nights, then walk back to our room (pricless) I heard illuminations may be replaced next year which may make me rethink staying in the boardwalk area anymore.

We would probably stay at POFQ. We were not fans of BW. The bakery is the only QS option (unless you have Park hoppers and venture into Epcot) and it was awful! The bus service to MK and AK was terrible. I’ve never stayed at POFQ, but have visited the resort. Being so close to Disney Springs opens up so many dining options!

Just got off the phone, Boardwalk is BOOKED!!!! Really excited. I sat down and looked at how much I had written down and then went to the calendar to see how many more deposits I had left before we leave. It was tight I will admit so I thought no. I decided to call Disney anyway just to see how much it would cost. The CM was great and checked the offers she had and got me the best she could. I was amazed that the difference wasn't as bad as I thought. So I sat down, re-figured the trip and decided that since we weren't taking the boys this trip we wouldn't need as much cash for incidentals as normal so I cut that and then cut the "shopping" money (again I was keeping that budget pretty close to what it would be with the boys) and decided that we could afford it. I have enough to pay off the trip right now but decided against it only because I am still trying to figure out if I truly want the meal plan or not (right now I have that booked but I may cancel it). That decision will decide how much "buffer" money I have for "oh no we spent too much on the credit card in Disney" emergency, lol.

So really not much will change in my plan to pay for this trip and I do have a few gift cards that I have picked up over the last couple of months that are not figured into my budget. I also have some points left on DVR card that I will use on my trip before I spend any of my own money. So I guess in strange way, I was always able to afford the BW I just didn't make the call to ask the question to tell me yes, I could afford it.

So DH and I are taking our FIRST trip without the boys!!! I am so stinkin excited :hmghost::figment:!! At any rate, I keep going back and forth between French Quarter and Boardwalk. I have never stayed at either. It does seem like a bigger difference price wise but I keep watching for "deals" so IF a good deal comes out then maybe I will switch.

But should I switch? I know FQ is a smaller resort and we have a "king" bed booked (I thought maybe it would make the room feel a little bigger with just one bed). I also want to go over to Riverside and take the carriage ride but I like the idea of being able to essentially walk to Epcot and fear being disappointed if I do not get a view of the park at the BW. We are going in September for F&W and the Halloween party. Part of me thinks I should just leave it they way it is since I do not think we are going to be in the room much or at the resort much for that matter. I just don't want to stay at Pop since that is where we always stays with the boys (it's their favorite). I just want to stay somewhere that we wouldn't stay with the kids and I am not sure I want to stay a resort with internal bus stops. I like the idea of going to a central place to grab a bus and know when it leaves, it is heading to where I am trying to get to, lol.
I have never stayed at POFQ, but we have visited it before. My husband and I LOVE the Boardwalk for our sans kids trips. Its so nice to be walking distance to world showcase (which we go to frequently when we don't have our kids with us). The Boardwalk is not a place I would recommend with small children, and to me, it has a decided "grown up" and peaceful vibe to it. Request a room near the main desk--you'll be so close to the lounge and everything here. To me, we got the best service ever at Disney at the Boardwalk. We've went a few times. When we go with our kids the poly or beach club are our favorites...but the Boardwalk is a great place to stay for adults or for when you do a Disney trip and your kids are older (think HS/College age). That seems to be the "crowd" it attracts.

One more Boardwalk tip--don't hesitate to use the concierge here. We had dining reservations and fast passes for an evening in MK during our trip, and we'd been there earlier and it was insanely crowded. We asked the concierge if we could switch our reservation to Epcot for a more peaceful evening, we were only hoping to avoid the late notice fee that comes from an ADR, and not only did he change it for us to a restaurant of our choice in Epcot, but he got us three (all tier 1) fast passes that night in Epcot--which was not busy at all. It was one of the most fun evenings we've ever had in Disney. Enjoy!

We've stayed at both* and we'd go for BWI:earsboy:

* It was so long ago I don't even remember if it was POR or FQ. It was nice but we only chose to stay there one time in our dozens of trips over the years. Just like several others mentioned: The option to walk to a park is GOLDEN.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter