It's a Small World Everyone... Big family trip, FP+ and more!

Masiri

Mouseketeer
Nobody can convince my 5 year olds that those aren't the words of the song!

We’re back from our trip, and I’m just trying to process it, but I wanted to report, especially on FP+ and how it worked for us! Our parties were - Our family - Me, DH, our 3 daughters (5, 5 and 9 months), Grandma, Grandpa - all staying at VWL on points rented through David’s (10/16-10/23), and my Aunt and Uncle, staying at BCV (10/17-10/22). I’m a self admitted technology junky. I did a LOT of switching around - I was switching the day of, as I could, and a lot of changes in the evenings as I re-evaluated what we (mostly my kids) liked, and what we were all realistically able to do, and what times would really work best for us. I also used the Touring Plans lines app to judge where we should head next (based only on lines).

Love VWL – we had a two bedroom and it was HUGE. My parents had 1.5 baths just for them! Even better was the huge walk in closet in the second bedroom – we didn’t bring anything that needed hanging up, so we just set up the pack and play in there so the baby could have a dark quiet place to sleep. Perfect! My big kids shared one queen with DH in the other, they were so tired the whole time that they completely passed out within seconds of hitting the sheets. My only complaints were that all the doors were sticky (really, every one of them!!) and there was nowhere NEAR enough room to hang towels – we had 5 people sharing the small bathroom! (This is especially a problem when staying on points, IMO, since we don’t get towel service every day) Loved having the kitchen (though we didn’t cook), with groceries on hand.

Wednesday - Oct 16 - Arrival/MK –
We landed on time at MCO, and headed to DME. Magic Bands worked perfectly for our bus ride, and we were off. My parents had arrived earlier in the day, and were able to check into our room and get our groceries. We dropped off our stuff, changed into shorts, and headed to the MK (after some confusion on where our rental stroller was (It’s in the room! No, it’s down at bell services! No, it was here at bell services, but they just left to take it to your room!) I think this was the day that the FP+ system was glitching.

On our way to meet Ariel, we stopped to get Dumbo and Barnstormer FP-, these were some of the few FP- we used our whole trip. We met Ariel, grabbed a quick dinner, and then went over to storybook circus. We rode Dumbo and then Barnstormer with our Fastpasses (my kids LOVED it, and with baby swap, were so excited to get to go twice!) then headed to the other side of the park! We rode splash (FP+), then BTMRR, then found a spot to watch MSEP in Frontland, After the parade, my kids wanted to try the Haunted Mansion and so we did (and they loved it, though the hitchhiking ghosts at the end never worked throughout our trip). After HM, we saw the end of Wishes over by the Rapunzel bathrooms, and headed on out, deciding to skip that last FP+ (ugh, note to self, don’t leave right after fireworks!)

FP+:
[original]4:00 - 5:00 - ETWB - we didn't make it, didn't arrive to MK until just after 5. I switched this on the boat ride over to a late Buzz reservation
5-6 - Ariel - used as booked (except with the switching, or the glitch that was going on, only my FP+ worked, the CM asked to see the reservation on my phone (which I had left in the stroller), but then waved us through without it.
7-8 - Splash Mountain (same glitch as earlier, this time I had the app open on my phone to show them our reservations as we went through)
8:55 - 9:55 - this was what I rescheduled ETWB for, but we didn't end up making it, just too late after a day of travel.

Thursday - Oct 17 – Epcot
This day didn't work out as well as I hoped, we arrived a little after rope drop, and it turns out, for the crowds that day, it was WAY too late. I had scheduled my FP+ for the early evening, figuring on relying on FP-/shorter lines in the morning - when we arrived, FP for TT was at 5, FP for Soarin were even later, with a 90 minute line. Maybe we should have gone on different rides elsewhere, but, we ended up waiting in that 90 minute line *sigh*. Oops. It was my only big misstep for the trip, so... chalk it up to a lesson learned. :) Rode Soarin’ (twice with baby swap), Living with the Land and then headed home for a nap. In the evening we met Mickey, Minnie and Goofy, we rode Soarin’ again, the Seas with Nemo and then went out into the world to eat. (Stopping in Club Cool for some soda!) We ended up missing our last fastpass again (again, this day was poor planning on my part, I feel like we didn’t get much done.)

FP+:
3:55-4:55 - Character Spot (I had a different one before this, can't remember what it was though) Might have been Turtle Talk. I changed it during the midday break. Used as scheduled.
5:15-6:15 - Soarin' (used as is)
7:05-8:05 - TT (Abandoned in favor of eating around the world)

Friday - Oct 18 – MK
Used all of our FP+ as planned (I’m getting better!) Got there for RD, met Merida, DH and I were going to try for a FP- at Space Mountain before we rode Buzz but times didn't work out. After Buzz, we rode SM on standby while Grandma and Grandpa took the kids on Astro Orbiter and the TTA). This was a great day, got a lot done (I know we also did Haunted Mansion and maybe one other! ) We left around two, Grandma took the big girls to the pool while Grandpa and the baby napped, and DH and I headed to the Contemporary for a fantastic dinner at the Cali Grill, watching Hallowishes from the observation deck afterward!

FP+ - all used!:
9:10-10:10 – Buzz
10:45-11:45 – ETWB
1(ish?)-2 – BTMRR

Saturday - Oct 19 – HS

Another (slight) misstep here because I didn't anticipate how large the crowds would be first thing in the AM, was hoping to get a FP- for TSM before we rode standby first thing, but the line was too long and return times went up too fast. When I realized that the TSM FP return was at noon (and we were at the back of a very long line, we skipped it and just got in the standby line. We made a few changes to our FP+ during this day, originally had 9-10 FP+ for R&R, but my kids wanted to meet Buzz and Woody after TSM, so I rescheduled on the spot for 10:30-11:30! I had also originally booked everyone (8 people) for the same fastpasses, including a late TSM planned for after a post midday-nap. My parents and aunt and uncle had their own ADR at the Cali grill this night, so they didn’t plan to return after the midday break. Prior to our trip, my aunt rescheduled their late TSM FP+ for an earlier time, but I forgot to reschedule my parents. I was able, while on the ToT line, to reschedule my parents for a 1:45-2:45 FP+ on TSM (which didn’t match, but overlapped my aunt and uncle’s times so they could ride together!) – so – THE headliner ride, still having availability for FP+ even around midday. (FP- were long gone by this point) Left the park after lunch at the Studio Catering Company for a nap, and DH the kids and I headed back for TSM, Little Mermaid and dinner at the Fountain at the Dolphin. We took the bus back from the Dolphin to the MK to get back home, accidentally timing it perfectly so that Wishes started while we were driving towards the MK, and ended just as we were getting on a bus back to VWL!

FP+:
9:00-10:00 - R&R - I had originally thought we could get a FP-, and ride TSM in that first hour, giving us time to get here... we got out of TSM standby (skipping the FP- all together) around 9:30, and the kids spotted Buzz and Woody and wanted to stop, so we rescheduled on the spot for 10:30-11:30. (Rescheduled, then used the rescheduled ones!)
11:30-12:30 – ToT (used as planned)
5:00-6:00 - TSM - DH, the kids and I made the late one we had originally scheduled.

Sunday - Oct 20 - MK, MNSSHP –

Breakfast at O'Hana, which was great, followed by some swimming at the hotel, then a nap before MNSSHP. We arrived at 4, and headed to BOG for a 4:30 ADR. I was unable to get a table reserved for 9, so we had two reservations of 4 and 5, but they ended up putting us all at a table for 9 anyway! Perfect! Unfortunately, my kids were in a rotten mood, and the baby was fussy, we were ALL not at our best for this meal haha, and unfortunately, I didn’t really get to enjoy it. They started perking up a bit after dinner (dessert helped), so we headed into the park, I waited in line for Rapunzel while my kids went on Small World (that was a mistake, I thought the kids would get back quickly, but the line moved inside before they got back, I didn’t want to line jump so what would have been just a few minutes wait for Rapunzel ended up an hour. Not sure why, we weren’t that far back, but for a good 30 minutes after we went inside the line Did. Not. Move. Not an inch. Ugh.) After meeting Rapunzel, we decided to do some rides. Carousel, Teacups, then the Trick or Treat path from Tomorrowland, Dumbo, then the other side of the park for BTMRR (awesome - Hallowishes started right as we got on, so we saw a lot of it from the ride, then walked over to the bridge afterwards to finish it off!), Pirates (with multiple runs through the ToT line there), second parade (which, contrary to popular belief was not anywhere close to emptier, we had a tough time finding a spot at just after 10! We managed though, and it was indeed a very cool parade, loved the gravediggers!), after our previous experience of trying to leave right after the fireworks, we decided to head over the HM for one last ride to let the crowds leave before us (we figured we’d get out of the park the same time either way, so might as well ride instead of fight shoulder to shoulder in a sea of people). Very late night for my kids (I think that may be the latest they’ve ever stayed up in their lives, but they were troopers, it was really awesome! It was definitely worth it for us!) Most rides were walk ons, and even when they weren’t the lines tended to change quickly – so there would a 30 minute wait for something, then 10 minutes later it would drop to 10 minutes, etc.

We didn't use park tickets this day, so no FP+ scheduled.

Monday - Oct 21 – Epcot
I originally had my FP+ scheduled similarly to the 10/17 day, but I realized that our previous plan just didn't work. The park was too busy first thing in the morning to rely on not waiting long for headliners, and I knew there was no way we’d make rope drop after the Halloween party the night before, so I changed it up - planned to get to the park around lunch, eat around the world for a bit, and hit the rides around 2ish. This worked out SO much better for our group. We arrived, headed straight to the World Showcase (took the boat to the American Pavilion to get wristbands for illuminations from the Chase Lounge!) Ate our way back to the entrance (a lot of good stuff on that side) and headed for some rides! Only did a few, but ended up a good day anyway. DH, the kids and I were beat, so we headed back to the hotel, while Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt and Uncle went to BCV and planned to head back to Epcot for Illuminations. We didn’t make it, but they reported that the viewing location with the wristbands was GREAT.

FP+
2:15-3:15 – TT (used as planned)
3:14-4:14 – Soarin’ (used as planned)
4:15-5:15 - Turtle Talk (we didn't actually need the FP, but there was nothing else I cared to book, we had a few prone to motion sickness so we skipped MS)

Tuesday - Oct 22 - Animal Kingdom

We were dragging by the end of our trip, and had 4:30 dinner reservations at Boma, so we planned on arriving a bit later. We arrived, kids went to Nemo, while DH and I rode Everest, then we had lunch at the Flametree BBQ (Yum!), played in the Boneyard for a while, then Safari followed by Lion King. Left after that for dinner. Dinner at Boma was fantastic, and we walked outside to see a few animals after dinner, and ended up catching the marshmallow roast! Three marshmallows later, for my tired kids…. We had to wait a while on a bus going back to MK (to eventually go to VWL), the buses were full of partygoers heading to MNSSHP that night (just getting ON the bus at 7:30! I did wonder if they knew they could get in at 4!) The marshmallows kept the kids going until we got back to the hotel!

FP+:
11:40-12:40 - EE (used "as is" - Grandma and Grandpa took the kids to Nemo, DH and I went on with our bands AND theirs. I'm surprised the waits weren't way longer than they were, DH and I really liked it (our first time on this one))
2:05-3:05 – Safari
3:05-4:05 - Dinosaur (I think this one may have been originally scheduled for sometime in between EE and Safari - once we decided to skip it then, I thought maybe I'd reschedule for something else, but there really was nothing else to reschedule FOR. Either way, we skipped it as I was concerned that my kids would freak, I think they enjoyed the Boneyard and the Lion King more than they would have this)

Wednesday - Oct 23 - MK - Departure day

I had originally scheduled something from 9-10, but realized that with packing and last minute stuff, we'd never get to the park that early, so again, shuffled everything around the night before. Used everything as planned! Got in, met Tink and Terence, rode BTMRR, and Splash, headed to Adventureland for Jungle Cruise, but saw the line was ~30-40 minutes (and it was nearing lunchtime), so we picked up a fastpass (besides the two we got on our first day, these were the only ones we used for the trip) for it while we got lunch at Pecos Bill. Finished up, rode Jungle Cruise and got stuck for 20 minutes or so (but hey, got a free FP out of it!), met Cinderella, then my kids picked Barnstormer for their last ride (I should have talked them into BTMRR instead, because after having been on that, they were disappointed in Barnstormer because it was so short!) And then we headed back to VWL bound for the real world again.

FP+ - used all as scheduled
10-11 – BTMRR
11-12 – Splash
1-2 – Cinderella

All in all, I really loved FP+ and the magic bands. We were able to make and change things around without a lot of trouble. I DID wish I could have maybe one or two more in the magic kingdom, and definitely could see how limited HS and Epcot especially were in "fastpass-able" rides. Strangely, while I didn't see many FP-able rides in AK, it didn't seem to have the same problems with everyone bunched up on the one or two rides that were worthy of a FP that HS and Epcot did. I actually think a pretty good system would be a combination of FP+ and FP-, with perhaps limiting the "pre-scheduled" fastpasses to the "non-MK" parks to 1 per day and allowing more "day of scheduling" (AKA FP-) to fill in.

Thanks for such a great trip report! I love that you got it all in one post, yet it was thoroughly detailed. Your experience with FP+ sounds tolerable, which is better than other recent posts. I am nervous to try, but I think that like you after you get the hang of it, it sounds like it can work fine. Of course, we would love more than three :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter