It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! [Update 4/11: Link to TR!]

Hey, I have that otter beanie baby (so you were right ;))! I vote for Bailey, she's cute. :cutie:

My sister had a little trip mascot when she went...I kind of want one too. LOL!

Trip mascots make the trips even more fun! When you have to wait on line for a ride, it's the perfect opportunity to take a picture! Plus, it's just fun being wacky, haha.

Hi again! I've been out of touch of your PTR for awhile, but I caught up today. :wizard: I adore all of your updates. My vote is for little Maybeck...he's too cute. By the way, where are you staying again?

Welcome back! Thanks for returning :hug:

We're staying at a condo in Kissimmee because my family has a timeshare there. We've never stayed on property before, and I probably won't until my Disneymoon.

Yay, I'm glad you are back! Crazy how real life can interfere with the DIS, isn't it? :laughing:

I think Philby is too cute, he's got my vote! I'm sure Bailey will understand since he's been so many places with you. Plus, you won't have to worry about him. Maybe he can stow away in your suitcase, though. Then, he could jump out and surprise you after you are in FL! :goodvibes

The sad thing is there was a part of me that actually didn't WANT to be on DIS because I was just so swamped with work that I knew that it would be too much of a distraction! Plus, I was so stressed with a few issues that even Disney couldn't take my mind off of it, and I didn't want to read TRs with that kind of attitude.

I liked Philby because I mean, he's a camel! Haha, it just seems so unusual. And he definitely would enjoy seeing the camel in Morocco in Epcot and at Aladdin's Magic Carpets in MK.

My vote is for Bailey. I always liked him out of all the Salingers :rotfl:

Wasn't he adorable?!? I mean, other than the alcoholism and all that ... haha.

Aw, so fun! I think my vote is for Maybeck. Maybe it'll help you conquer your fear of Buffalo! :thumbsup2

I wonder if I'll ever FULLY conquer my fear of buffalo! My kids can be pretty mean about it sometimes. For example, one time they found a picture of a few buffalo in their social studies textbook. They all walked into my classroom and wanted to show it to me. I was thinking, "Thanks a lot guys!" but I made sure not to react because I didn't want them to see me freak out about it. Then they'd show buffalo things to me more often! Haha.

I do think it's actually working somewhat though. Buffalo pictures don't scare me as much! So I guess they're doing something good then!

I like Maybeck too - he's pretty cute! :goodvibes

I thought it was funny when I found him! Haha, who knew I had a water buffalo!

Haha wow, so many votes for Maybeck! ;)

You know, you're the only reason why Maybeck was in the running for so long!

Trip Mascot: A Surprise Twist!

This will be very disappointing to Bailey, Maybeck, Philby, and maybe even some of you readers, but there's a twist in this whole mascot decision.

Weird and I went to our Disney Store on Saturday night. I wanted to check to see if they had a shipment of the shirt that I want so badly! It's a Minnie holding a bunch of balloons; it's one of the organic tees. They didn't have it, but we spent a good amount of time looking around anyway. Hehe, it's kind of funny because out of the 3 CMs we saw working there, we "knew" every single one because we go there so often! It's always fun though because they have new merchandise, like Pook-a-Looz!!! But I digress ...

Tink's Treasure of the Week was buy one get one free Easter plushies. There sitting on the shelf was the Mickey I had eyed the last time I was there! He was so adorably cute and preppy, but I didn't like that he was holding flowers. Suddenly on the other side of the display, Weird and I (and my younger brother) saw these eggs!

(Haha, this picture is taken at home though.)
mascot5.jpg

And who do you think was inside the egg? MICKEY! Mickey wearing the clothes that I just love love LOVED!
mascot6.jpg

Look how cute he is! I think the clothes make him part preppy and part nerdy. He needs glasses and suspenders, haha. He's dressed this way really for Easter, but I think it just gives him the opportunity to wear what he really enjoys wearing, hehe.
mascot4.jpg

So despite the fact that I know my 3 little friends will be upset that they won't be going to Disney, I am really THRILLED to be able to bring Mickey with me! He's actually sitting next to me, and he's traveled to and from church as well as to and from lunch and dinner with Weird yesterday. Yes, I'm that weird. My mom said I was delusional though because of the questions I was asking Mickey. Haha, I have said it before though ... being a middle school teacher requires a certain kind of crazy, so maybe it's just the crazy in me!

I've been wanting to get a little Mickey this size, but none of them were really cute to me. I didn't love them the way that I love this one. I'm so glad I waited to get this one! Plus, he comes in an egg! Haha, I just find it so hilarious!

Anyway, I hope it doesn't disappoint you readers who voted for Bailey, Maybeck, or Philby. I know I will definitely have a lot of fun with Mickey because he's easier to pose and because I just am 100% sure that I want him to go and be my mascot. I think that not feeling so sure about the other 3 means that they should stay home and catch up on their reading or something.

Two more pictures ... Weird thought it was hilarious when I propped him up on the chair in my living room!
mascot3.jpg

Here's another picture but from farther away so you can see his size.
mascot2.jpg

Now with mascot chosen, I have to start planning for other things ... you know, as in packing and whatnot! Haha, nah, who am I kidding. That'll happen the night before ...

Awww, I love your new Mickey!! He is so cute. :goodvibes

I am going to be packing the night before too. :rolleyes: Can't believe how close we are!

That Mickey is seriously adorable!! :lovestruc

I'm sure he will be a great addition to the trip. :)

I couldn't help but laugh about your students and the buffalo pics...there is just something ingrained in teens/preteens that makes them love to torture adults, LOL! My DDs think it's hilarious when they find something that freaks me out...evil children, LOL. :rotfl:

That Mickey is so cute! :thumbsup2

Good choice :goodvibes

Btw, not sure you read it on Sarah's PTR but I booked a last minute trip so I'll be down there soon too! My dates are only the 7-10th but I"ll be at MK on my 30th birthday! :yay:

What were your dates again?

Awww, I love your new Mickey!! He is so cute. :goodvibes

I am going to be packing the night before too. :rolleyes: Can't believe how close we are!

I'm trying to keep everything straight because I have to plan next week's 4 days of class first. Well, technically it's only 3 days because I'm going to do the whole movie thing on Thursday since I promised my 7th graders I'd show them the Jonah: A Veggietales Movie. I figure I'll show that movie or another one to my other classes too.

Then I also have to work on the lesson plans for the week when we get back because I don't want to have to worry about not having my stuff planned! Along with school stuff, I have to clean my horrendous room, jot down the things I want to see but never took the time to write, write a packing list, and then actually pack! (I need a list to pack otherwise I get paranoid about what I actually put in the bag so far!). I can't believe it's almost here!

That Mickey is seriously adorable!! :lovestruc

I'm sure he will be a great addition to the trip. :)

I couldn't help but laugh about your students and the buffalo pics...there is just something ingrained in teens/preteens that makes them love to torture adults, LOL! My DDs think it's hilarious when they find something that freaks me out...evil children, LOL. :rotfl:

Haha, that's so true! On another occasion, my kids were very Jessica Simpson-like because they were like, "Well, what about buffalo wings, Miss Ninja? Do you eat those?!?" And I was like, "Sure, why not. They're chicken." Half of them were in complete SHOCK. Haha, not that I care about eating buffalo; I just don't want to look at them!

Mickey is so cute! :goodvibes

Who did you get for your *free* plush?

Weird picked out a Thumper that he liked! I looked at the Minnie in the egg, but I think she looked kind of funny. Eeyore looked a little drugged (too many bags under his eyes). Pooh didn't look like Pooh at all; he looked like one of those imitation ones. Since all I cared about was the Mickey I got, Weird picked Thumper since he remembers the classic movies well and liked Bambi as a kid.

That Mickey is so cute! :thumbsup2

Good choice :goodvibes

Btw, not sure you read it on Sarah's PTR but I booked a last minute trip so I'll be down there soon too! My dates are only the 7-10th but I"ll be at MK on my 30th birthday! :yay:

What were your dates again?

Oh YAY! Woohoo for you!!! That's so exciting; I'd love to spend a birthday in WDW. Our dates are 4/4 (arrive in Florida, no park though) to 4/10 (leaving Florida early in the morning). The basic plan at this point is Epcot on Monday 4/5, MK on Wednesday 4/7, and DHS on Thursday 4/8 or Friday 4/9. Will you be at any of those parks on those days?

Oh YAY! Woohoo for you!!! That's so exciting; I'd love to spend a birthday in WDW. Our dates are 4/4 (arrive in Florida, no park though) to 4/10 (leaving Florida early in the morning). The basic plan at this point is Epcot on Monday 4/5, MK on Wednesday 4/7, and DHS on Thursday 4/8 or Friday 4/9. Will you be at any of those parks on those days?

Thanks! We arrive on the 7th in the evening and are staying at ASMu. Might go to DtD. The 8th is my birthday so we are spending the day at MK. The 9th is going to be EPCOT and the 10th probably DHS. Booo to missing each other! Wouldn't it be fun if you, Sarah and I met up?!

Thanks! We arrive on the 7th in the evening and are staying at ASMu. Might go to DtD. The 8th is my birthday so we are spending the day at MK. The 9th is going to be EPCOT and the 10th probably DHS. Booo to missing each other! Wouldn't it be fun if you, Sarah and I met up?!

Umm...yes!

Who knows ... maybe it'll still somehow work out!!! Here's hoping it does :grouphug: Haha, I don't know who those other 2 smilies are in that.

Guest Assistance Card

A few weeks ago, the staff at my school along with many students marched in the local St. Patrick's Day parade. It was good publicity for our school, which is rather small. I, however, wasn't required to march in it because I have a medical condition called vasovagal syncope.

Basically, the vagus nerve doesn't function properly in my body. That means that when I stand all of a sudden or I stand for long periods of time, the blood pools in my legs. In an attempt to even out the pooling in my legs, my body reacts to it by fainting. Lovely, isn't it?

For a while, I had to go through many tests for the cardiologist (including wearing a heart monitor for 21 days) to determine what was going on because I'd get these severe heart palpitations. There were times when my heart rate would surpass an exercising heart rate, and I wasn't even doing anything that required that much energy (ex. one time I was sitting on a bus).

A HUT test (tilt table test) was done, and that's when they diagnosed it as vasovagal syncope (it was "good" news because they initially thought it was supraventricular tacchycardia, which is an issue with the heart itself). That explained the heart palpitations because my body was trying so hard to pump the blood back up. The "sitting on a bus" incident wasn't from the sitting; it was from waiting at the bus stop!

It was pretty crazy getting that test done because I reacted to it so quickly. Patients are strapped (just in case it causes fainting!) to a table after being all hooked up and whatnot. Then the table is brought up to almost standing position, and the person doing the test just waits! The woman told me to tell her when I wasn't feeling well; it was funny that I didn't tell her right away because I was used to always feeling that sick! She actually asked me how I was doing because I suddenly got so pale after only a few minutes. My heart rate was recorded at such a high rate, it was as if I was running a race while I was just standing still. After the test was over (they just had to wait for the heart rate to go up and mine skyrocketed), it took longer than normal for me to recover from the test. They had to tilt me a bit backwards so that my head was lower than the rest of my body because my blood pressure wasn't returning as fast as it should have.

I am not on medication for it since I already take too much every day. It is manageable as long as I don't stay on my feet for too long. My doctor tells me to avoid going to places like Costco because of the long lines! I also sit as much as I can when I'm teaching because it happens a lot in school. I'd be standing there speaking to the class and "marching" in place to try to pump the blood back up. This is problematic even in church. When we're standing to sing, I can get severe heart palpitations then too. Singing in the choir gets me nervous because I'm always afraid I'm going to faint in front of the entire congregation, and that's only for a 3-4 minute song!

Anyway, when I mentioned the vasovagal syncope thing to my co-worker Stacey who is also a Disney fanatic (I've mentioned her before as S), she told me that I should get a Guest Assistance Card to avoid having to stand in long lines. It hadn't even crossed my mind to do it. I immediately thought it'd be a good idea. She actually knew about the condition because she said one of the Wiggles had to leave the group because of it (link to explanation here: http://www.gregpage.com/greg_condition1.htm). The following week, I talked to another Disney fanatic, Kathy, who helps out at our school (I taught her Disney fanatic son for 2 years, but he's now in high school). She got a GAC for her condition, and she said it's the best thing to do. It makes touring Disney a lot easier.

I know touring Disney is hard enough as it is on anyone, especially during peak seasons. I just have the extra stress of making sure I am in tune with my body so that I know I might possibly faint and avoid it by doing something about it. The bad thing is, sometimes I don't realize it. My heart starts racing, and I don't even know until I start getting nauseous and woozy.

If you read the thread that Weird and I started for our flats, you would've seen this picture.
WoD102.jpg

We were at the World of Disney when I just started feeling sick. Weird made me sit down right away, and that's when I realized that my heart was racing. I could have easily fainted at WoD! Both Weird and my mom are good about watching out for me. If I suddenly don't feel well, they immediately find a place for me to sit, and they'll patiently wait for my heart to settle and for me to feel back to normal.

I think I almost fainted during our last trip to Florida when we were on our feet for a long time. If you read THAT trip report, you might remember that I felt sick after looking around the POTC gift shop for the medallion from the movie. I got extremely dizzy and felt as if I had vertigo all over again. My mom made me sit right away, and I had juice. We then took it easy by going to the Tiki room so I could rest for a bit.

Anyway, all that to say that I believe I will be getting a Guest Assistance Card next week. I'll probably use it only when completely necessary. I guess I feel kind of bad if I can use it to skip a line or at least minimize the wait time, but I know that Disney provides these programs to help everyone enjoy touring the parks. It wouldn't be feasible for me to get Fastpasses for all the rides and crisscross the parks like we used to do years ago. Maybe this GAC will be the ONE good thing about having this condition!

As silly as it sounds since this is DIS, I'm so glad that your readers like Mickey!

I'm half-packed and ready to go! Can't wait to be in the car with you!

Hey! I keep missing your PTR. I knew there was one I was forgetting. I know you are getting super-close, so I look forward to seeing how these last gew days wind down for you.

I love the Mickey. He is such a cute mascot for you.

Use the GAC. If it is going to help you, go for it.

Rachel there is no need to feel bad! Use the GAC! We almost did it when we went to Tokyo Disneyland cause DH sprained his ankle. I would use it because your not hurting anyone by using it. Tons of people everyday use it and it won't be good if you faint while your at the most Magical Place on Earth. :)

Love the new mascot by the way!!!!!!!

I understand what you're saying about feeling bad for using the GAC. You should use it though, without feeling bad. :goodvibes It would make your trip that much easier and magical. :wizard: I'm glad you've got Weird and you mom to look out for you, too!

Have fun packing...you will be there so soon! :banana::banana:

First of all, I LOVE your new Mickey mascot!! :cutie: So cute. And I love that he came in an egg. His Easter outfit reminds me of things my little brother used to have to wear back in the day. I was actually telling Michael the other day that one Easter outfit combo topped them all! I was probably 6, and my brother was 2.5. I had a pastel plaid dress, and he had little dress shorts out of the same material. And then he had a polo and little suspenders! So cute, but so, so nerdy! :upsidedow

And I'm really glad that you're getting a GAC card! It would be just awful for you to faint while you're at WDW, and this will just make things so much safer for you. I've been reading another TR where her little daughter has a sensory nervous disorder (or something like that) where lots of crowds really, really upset her nervous system. They had to instances where CMs that heard about her condition asked if she had a GAC card, and then they were able to let her skip the huge crowds/lines at Fantasmic and to see the Fairies. They were SOOO thankful that she had the card because it helped their vacation to be so much better. I don't think you'll regret it at all!

Hiya! Rae & Howard :)

As a family we use to play VMK and loved, loved it! We were AlohaAnnie, JediJackJack, WildWestTyler, and Piratelilo. It was so much fun and we really miss it.

You two are just too cute! So are you thinking Disney Wedding in the future? If so, there is someone here on the boards Carrie Hayward or Lurkyloo here on the boards. She could give some awesome advice when it is time ;)

I am excited for your trip, it is coming up soon! :) I hope you have a wonderful time. Looking forward to the TR. :wizard:

Using that GAC is going to be great for you and your family. I don't think you should feel bad about using it. We all know that you need it and don't let other people think you don't because you don't "look" like you need it. Ignorant people are out there. You just enjoy your time as much as possible! :goodvibes

As silly as it sounds since this is DIS, I'm so glad that your readers like Mickey!

I'm half-packed and ready to go! Can't wait to be in the car with you!

Me too! I was worried that it'd be betraying Bailey, Maybeck, and Philby! But I can already imagine all the pictures to take with Mickey!

Let me know what shirts you're going to bring so that we can be corny and somewhat match. Hehe, will you still be excited to be in the car with me after a few hours? It's a long drive!

Hey! I keep missing your PTR. I knew there was one I was forgetting. I know you are getting super-close, so I look forward to seeing how these last few days wind down for you.

I love the Mickey. He is such a cute mascot for you.

Use the GAC. If it is going to help you, go for it.

There's this rush of emotions as the date draws nearer. It's such excitement yet there are a few "nerves" too. I don't want to expect too much from this trip and be disappointed, you know? But I don't think I'll be disappointed. I don't have a touring plan or anything like that, so we'll just go with the flow.

My mom thinks I'm a wacko because I was talking to Mickey (haha, joking around). Both my mom and Weird were laughing at me about something I had said in Chinese (I mixed up the words and it actually sounded inappropriate!), and I was like, "Mickey, you wouldn't make fun of me, right?" Then I took his hand and squatted down to "walk" out of the kitchen with him. Hehe, I'm just a tad bit odd. Or maybe unique is the better word!

Rachel there is no need to feel bad! Use the GAC! We almost did it when we went to Tokyo Disneyland cause DH sprained his ankle. I would use it because your not hurting anyone by using it. Tons of people everyday use it and it won't be good if you faint while your at the most Magical Place on Earth. :)

Love the new mascot by the way!!!!!!!

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't want to faint while at Disney! I've already done that before when we were waiting for the monorail, haha. I don't want to do it again!

I understand what you're saying about feeling bad for using the GAC. You should use it though, without feeling bad. :goodvibes It would make your trip that much easier and magical. :wizard: I'm glad you've got Weird and you mom to look out for you, too!

Have fun packing...you will be there so soon! :banana::banana:

I'll still probably feel a little bad when I'm there. I mean, it's not really that serious of an issue, in my opinion, just because I live with it on a daily basis. I just have to remember that touring a Disney park is NOT something that's done on a daily basis. The strain and exertion will definitely be too much if I can get winded and feel sick from just a day of teaching!

First of all, I LOVE your new Mickey mascot!! :cutie: So cute. And I love that he came in an egg. His Easter outfit reminds me of things my little brother used to have to wear back in the day. I was actually telling Michael the other day that one Easter outfit combo topped them all! I was probably 6, and my brother was 2.5. I had a pastel plaid dress, and he had little dress shorts out of the same material. And then he had a polo and little suspenders! So cute, but so, so nerdy! :upsidedow

And I'm really glad that you're getting a GAC card! It would be just awful for you to faint while you're at WDW, and this will just make things so much safer for you. I've been reading another TR where her little daughter has a sensory nervous disorder (or something like that) where lots of crowds really, really upset her nervous system. They had to instances where CMs that heard about her condition asked if she had a GAC card, and then they were able to let her skip the huge crowds/lines at Fantasmic and to see the Fairies. They were SOOO thankful that she had the card because it helped their vacation to be so much better. I don't think you'll regret it at all!

Haha, we think the funny part is that he came in an egg too! That's probably why I love his outfit so much; it reminds me of outfits from our childhood!

I like that you pointed out that it's safer. I should remind myself of that. Our vacation can be ruined if I faint, and it's definitely not good to let my heart race so much when I'm not running or exercising. It'll definitely relieve my mom's and Weird's stress levels too if they don't have to worry about me as much.

Hiya! Rae & Howard :)

As a family we use to play VMK and loved, loved it! We were AlohaAnnie, JediJackJack, WildWestTyler, and Piratelilo. It was so much fun and we really miss it.

You two are just too cute! So are you thinking Disney Wedding in the future? If so, there is someone here on the boards Carrie Hayward or Lurkyloo here on the boards. She could give some awesome advice when it is time ;)

I am excited for your trip, it is coming up soon! :) I hope you have a wonderful time. Looking forward to the TR. :wizard:

Hiya AlohaAnnie! We really miss VMK too. My plan was to bring Weird and Ninja to visit the real parks. We're still bringing them, but I don't think we'll be taking as many pictures. I don't want to be too saddened. It gets me REALLY upset sometimes when I think about it just because VMK was there for me when I was going through many medical issues. It was my escape from reality. Plus, it was how Weird and I were able to flirt when we were broken up, hehe.

We were thinking about a Disney wedding for maybe a few minutes but then nixed the idea because of the cost. Then we thought destination wedding in Florida - getting married in a small, sunshine-filled church and then Disneymoon right after. Then I think that might be out of the question too just because it requires more planning, and even though we really want a small wedding, I think we have to invite more people than our initial plan of like, 20-30 people. Even my students want to attend the wedding!

Hehe, I have read LurkyLoo's trip reports! Her wedding one was AMAZING.

Thanks for joining! Not that I want to be back already, but I'm looking forward to writing the TR!

Using that GAC is going to be great for you and your family. I don't think you should feel bad about using it. We all know that you need it and don't let other people think you don't because you don't "look" like you need it. Ignorant people are out there. You just enjoy your time as much as possible! :goodvibes

Yeah, that's probably why I felt bad. I don't "look" sick. Haha, if I pass out, I'll definitely look sick! I guess I have to listen to the advice I give my students and not worry about what other people think!

Thank you all for the support! I really am feeling more confident in getting the GAC and using it. Though it may not be a medical condition that can be seen, I have a valid reason why I should get it. I know a doctor's note is not needed, but I know some people get it just to feel more confident asking for the GAC. I just called my cardiologist and left a message with one of the nurses. I should be able to pick it up by Thursday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter