I've blown our budget... and I'm bad with money but at least we're going to Disney.

I noticed that too about the deluxe dining plan. I thought it was the regular plan, but was beginning to think I missed something when I kept seeing people mention that. :confused3

I’m usually really good at just answering the original question, but, I admit I did say switch to the value plus drop the car, MNSSHP and bring your own stroller because you could save even more than the $470. I know what it is like to have these plans you are attached to and suddenly find yourself trying to figure out how to make it happen after things get thrown at you. For me switching the resort made everything work.

To me though, $470 is a lot of money. Add $30 to that and you have our spending money for our trip this week. It’s going to cover tips for our TS meals, BBB (+ tip) for my daughter, food for my 2 year-old at the rare times when we can’t share or are not at a buffet, extra drinks and souvenirs.

I hope everything works out for you.

I am not in the least bit annoyed with ANYONE offering suggestions. I greatly appreciate it and I have taken points into consideration like dropping the stroller rental and water parks and more options. I'm annoyed with the people who are saying I'm not listening to anyone and doing whatever I want anyway!!:confused3 It

I don't recall if somone mentioned Beach Club Villas, but I recall your post where you were considering a night at Beach Club. Typically, a night in a room at Beach Club is the same price as a night in a studio at the Beach Club Villas, so someone might have just gotten the two confused. No need to take offense.

Anyway, since you've made a decision you're happy with, I hope that you and your family have a wonderful time! :goodvibes

It was a JOKE that I saw Beach Club (for $250) and paused to think about it...!! I actually said I should be shot for even thinking it!

And yes, I do realize that I shouldn't be flippant about $470 but it's NOT $470 only.... it's the whole trip that we're putting on Credit Card at the end of July... so really, it's more like "what's $470 more, is it worth it to save that money when we're spending the rest".

My fault here is the title of the thread should have been... "Help, we're charging the vacation and are thinking of downgrading to save some money". Our budget IS blown... I thought I'd have cash to pay the remainder... I don't... it sucks but we're not having money issues... we're having paying for vacation issues.

:)

so really, it's more like "what's $470 more, is it worth it to save that money when we're spending the rest".

Oh boy, this is exactly the kind of thinking that got me in credit card debt years ago and it took a long time to dig my way out of it! If you can pay it off within a couple of months, it's all good. To some people that extra $470 would take several months and considerable interest to pay for!

My fault here is the title of the thread should have been... "Help, we're charging the vacation and are thinking of downgrading to save some money". Our budget IS blown... I thought I'd have cash to pay the remainder... I don't... it sucks but we're not having money issues... we're having paying for vacation issues.

:)

I think the problem is right here. If your budget is blown, and you are paying for a whole vacation on credit on the hopes that you will still get Christmas bonuses and be able to pay it off...to a lot of people that **IS** having money problems. Doing something you can't afford to pay cash for and that is not a necessity and doing it anyway...to a lot of people that is a money issue. I think that is why OP is getting flack on this thread, especially since it was titled "we can't afford our trip."

YMMV, but in our house if we can't pay cash for it, then we can't afford it.

About the stroller, We have flown with AC and westjet before with a triplet stroller and let me tell you that our stroller was a train. The base of the stroller when folded was 48 inches long by about 20 wide and then the seats come apart from the base therefor making our stroller a 4 piece. We never had a problem and have never been charged anything for it by airlines and god knows I travelled a lot with it. Don;t worry about measurement of the stroller. To be sure call the mand ask if they enforce the measurements. Could be something new.

I would switch to a value (I have stayed at values and mods and there is no difference, IMO, that warrants the upcharge at a mod). Then I would ditch the rental. And I would get rid of the DDP. Each of you - you and DP, pick your fave TS meal. And book those 2 ADR's only. Everything else, CS. Or get rid of the DP totally and pay OOP. And use a discount code on your room. You can totally eat CS all week and eat good meals...not a burger at all :)

I live for the moment, as well. But I find no greater value in staying mod/DDP than I do value/QSDP. Either way I will have a great vacation...and one of them will save me money for other things (like stroller rental, a few adult beverages, and the MNSSHP!).

I think the problem is right here. If your budget is blown, and you are paying for a whole vacation on credit on the hopes that you will still get Christmas bonuses and be able to pay it off...to a lot of people that **IS** having money problems. Doing something you can't afford to pay cash for and that is not a necessity and doing it anyway...to a lot of people that is a money issue. I think that is why OP is getting flack on this thread, especially since it was titled "we can't afford our trip."

YMMV, but in our house if we can't pay cash for it, then we can't afford it.
I agree and IF we had known that we'd have had 10K worth of car/house issues this half of the year we never would have booked for this September....hindsight is 20/20. We also wanted and NEED a new deck (there is literally a hole rotting through ours and one step fell off) but with the other work we had done we have pushed that until next year. Essentially with so much money already invested in this vacation (airfare + MNSSHP tickets) it comes down to us going despite the fact that the money we had earmakred for the trip was spent. Spending $750 to get out of the vacation isn't happening and seeing as we covered 10K cash in urgent repairs I'm actually feeling pretty good about our finances. If we hadn't bought our airline tickets already ($1200 paid in CASH!) you bet the trip would be cancelled!

I don't want to come across as defensive saying this, just explaining what I mean... when I say "$470 isn't that much". I'm also considering the time investment already made (work vacations are booked and on one side it involved a fight for time), the airline tickets are paid for, our hearts are set on the vacation anyway... so we figure we should take the hit but should we be responsible and go back to our humble beginnings at the value resorts when this was our FIRST upgrade to Moderate? I wish people would see that yes there is the financial side of it but that there is a good reason why we're also resistant over $470...

Honestly, if LM rooms at AoA were available we would switch (they open as we leave) but I'm just not THERE yet wanting to go to All Stars... I'm afraid they're not going to be the same quality as POP... the reviews make me VERY uneasy. And since we wen't to POP last year and in 2008, 2007 and in 2004... we're done w don't want to spend anymore vacation money at that resort....

I'm honestly worried about not having a car. I really like driving to the parks.... yet last time we did about 50/50 driving vs bus. At POFQ I can see not having a car becuase at least we can get to DTD without using a bus.

I'll also need to coordinate things we'd normally buy at Walmart for in the room. I know there are ways to do that.

I like our car. lol Of course, insisting on Rental cars when there is free transportation is part of the reason we're in this mess!

Thanks everyone....

We want to keep DDP. It's free since we're going in Sept but we'd have to upgrade to DDP from QS if we downgrade to the Value. We have all of our ADRs booked and I'm not giving them up!! No also to offsite and changing our tickets would be $600... I think that would be more than the interest we'd be paying (5.6% Line of Credit) and we got our tickets on a seat sale.

I guess I'm just trying to be responsible by not staying at the Mod and downgrading to the Value but at the same time I'm not really willing to be flexible about giving anything else up otherwise it really wouldn't be the vacation we want.

$470 savings droping to Value
$670 if we lose the car

Seems like a no-brainer but we're still stuck. :scratchin We're barely moving forward in the conversation and much like the responses here the Rental car is key in the discussion. DP wants it.. I'm thinking we can do without it at POFQ... but really, that's only $190 and hopefully the rate will go down!!

Moving the trip isn't an option. We're going. I know that sounds irresponsible but that's what it is. By Christmas we'll both have our company bonus and that will cover the trip... I just don't like spending that money before we get it.

I'm just asking for whether it would be worth it to change our plans from Mod to Value to save the extra $470.

ETA: Re: another emergency. I'm not sure if Lines of Credit are popular in the US but DP and I both have them. Combined total we currently availble for borrowing is just under 35K and the interest rate is LOW. Not that I want to charge to it but when I did have my LOC up to 10K at one point (when we were doing fertility treatments) the monthly interest was crazy low like $47/month.

I think we're calling to make the switch today but I'm really anxious about it. My problem is that I don't think that $470 is enough savings to even bother but then again, we're easily going to spend that money on other stuff (tips, stroller rental, etc).. thinking about it that way, we should take those savings and RUN... if we're smart. But on the otherhand my inner voice keeps saying... you're paying to fly down, you're going... just take the hit and deal with it later. sheesh.

FWIW, I think that our problem isn't DEBT at all and it's much bigger than this Disney vacation in general. I also don't think we're the only ones that suffer from it either. Not having debit in theory sounds wonderful but I think most people on the DIS are not going to admit they're charging their vacation or that they can't really afford to stay at (insert resort) but a lot of us are. We want too much and too often. When I make a statement like "$470 isn't worth it", that's troubling.

I kid you not when I say that I went to Hotelsdotcom to check room only rates for our first night and when I saw Beach Club for $250 I paused to consider it. Really? In this situation I should be SHOT for thinking about adding a Beach Club night (obviously I'm not!!).

My attitude about money has GOT to change and THAT will save us more money than dropping from MOD to VALUE... but dropping from MOD to VALUE may be a first step in getting real, right?

I'm the OP...

I understand that people have been offering suggestions (which I appreciate but am under no obligation to abide by) however my original question was would you change your vacation plans for only $470 in savings. I didn't say "Help me cut as much cost to this vacation as possible". That said, I think it's unfair to say that I'm just ignorning people's suggestions and will do whatever I want. I think I provided that info clearly under MY TWO OPTIONS and by saying upfront within the second post that I was unwilling to cancel DDP.

btw, when did I ever say Deluxe Dining Plan?:confused3 Or beach club villas?

Since it seems people are horrified by spending $800/month on takeout,, here's the breakdown: DP and I both work in Downtown Toronto and we BOTH eat on the go for Breakfast and Lunch. Yes, it's a bad habit but it's what we do. We each spend about $15 a day at work. That's a combined $600/month. The rest of the take-out would be weekends at Restaurants as a family. For our family the bill is usually around $70 with tip. :cool2:

Our decision at this point is that for our family the savings of $470 are not worth it and the responses on this thread actually DID help me make up my mind. I guess what this means is that we have high risk for debt, are a bit careless but feel that since we're going to be spending debt money either way, we shouldn't reduce our vacation to something we wouldn't enjoy for such a small amount of savings (IN OUR OPINION) Our main consideration in this decision is that we're going to skip going next year despite wanting to take DD every year and also take lunches to work on a trial basis to save money that way. Obviously we're not financially in trouble, we're just drained from unexpected events this half of the year... there is a difference.

I agree and IF we had known that we'd have had 10K worth of car/house issues this half of the year we never would have booked for this September....hindsight is 20/20. We also wanted and NEED a new deck (there is literally a hole rotting through ours and one step fell off) but with the other work we had done we have pushed that until next year. Essentially with so much money already invested in this vacation (airfare + MNSSHP tickets) it comes down to us going despite the fact that the money we had earmakred for the trip was spent. Spending $750 to get out of the vacation isn't happening and seeing as we covered 10K cash in urgent repairs I'm actually feeling pretty good about our finances. If we hadn't bought our airline tickets already ($1200 paid in CASH!) you bet the trip would be cancelled!

I don't want to come across as defensive saying this, just explaining what I mean... when I say "$470 isn't that much". I'm also considering the time investment already made (work vacations are booked and on one side it involved a fight for time), the airline tickets are paid for, our hearts are set on the vacation anyway... so we figure we should take the hit but should we be responsible and go back to our humble beginnings at the value resorts when this was our FIRST upgrade to Moderate? I wish people would see that yes there is the financial side of it but that there is a good reason why we're also resistant over $470...

Honestly, if LM rooms at AoA were available we would (they open as we leave) but I'm just not THERE yet wanting to go to All Stars... I'm afraid they're not going to be the same quality as POP... the reviews make me VERY uneasy. Yet we wen't to POP last year and in 2008, 2007 and in 2004... we're done!

All you wanted was for us to tell you to go. So just go.

You are not good with money, see the bold from your posts above. You will not change and you will be spending that money in the US so go for it!!!

And yes, I do realize that I shouldn't be flippant about $470 but it's NOT $470 only.... it's the whole trip that we're putting on Credit Card at the end of July... so really, it's more like "what's $470 more, is it worth it to save that money when we're spending the rest".

I call that kind of thinking "vacation creep". It's ONLY $A dollars more for park hoppers, it's ONLY $B dollars more for waterparks and more, it's ONLY $C dollars more for a Moderate resort, it's ONLY $D more for a car, it's ONLY $E more for the special ticketed event, it's ONLY $F more for the Dining Plan ... ONLY, ONLY ONLY and our family is WORTH it! I see it here on the DIS over and over again and it doesn't help when there are so many people here who are willing to help you plan to spend your money. In your case, $A + $B + $C + $D + $E + $F = $1240 (post 102).

Of course your family is worth splurging on, but is the splurge worth what it may do to your family? I guess you'll find out for yourself soon enough.

I call that kind of thinking "vacation creep". It's ONLY $A dollars more for park hoppers, it's ONLY $B dollars more for waterparks and more, it's ONLY $C dollars more for a Moderate resort, it's ONLY $D more for a car, it's ONLY $E more for the special ticketed event, it's ONLY $F more for the Dining Plan ... ONLY, ONLY ONLY and our family is WORTH it! I see it here on the DIS over and over again and it doesn't help when there are so many people here who are willing to help you plan to spend your money. In your case, $A + $B + $C + $D + $E + $F = $1240 (post 102).

Of course your family is worth splurging on, but is the splurge worth what it may do to your family? I guess you'll find out for yourself soon enough.

Well put! I'm really interested in what OP has decided to do. I think we are a A C E F family BTW:lmao::lmao:
I also wonder what putting it on the credit card really means for OP. To me, and maybe I missed something, it seems as though the cash isn't in hand. I not a "credit or debt" free person. We have two car payments and use a card that gives us points for flying and then of course our Disney CC. There is nothing wrong with using Credit or have a little debt but when you are at the point that you have to sell items to pay for a vacation I have to wonder how wise of a choice it was to book the vacation int he first place OR did someone just go overboard.

We just got back from a great vacation at POP. We had a room overlooking the lake and a beautiful view. I almost switched to a mod before we went, but I'm so glad we didn't. Buses were great there and I loved the ONE bus stop opposed to stopping at several at the mods. Food court was better than the mods.

We had the free QSDP. Again, before the trip I was tempted to upgrade to the DDP. I'm so glad we didn't. It was so nice to have the freedom to eat when we wanted and take naps whenever. No running around to make the ADR time. Not saying we would never do DDP again, but in the warmer months it's too hot to eat anyway.

So, our savings by going value and keeping qsdp was about $1000. OP, my advise is to get rid of some of your upgrades including the car rental. It will not feel good to come back from a vacation in debt. A 2 year old will not know the difference between resorts and maybe too many sit down meals for that age would be hard.

Dear lord... I give up. I really don't appreciate your concern.

Thank you to the people who offered suggestions WITHOUT Judgement... I appreciate it... I just wanted to talk it through....

Well put! I'm really interested in what OP has decided to do. I think we are a A C E F family BTW:lmao::lmao:
I also wonder what putting it on the credit card really means for OP. To me, and maybe I missed something, it seems as though the cash isn't in hand. I not a "credit or debt" free person. We have two car payments and use a card that gives us points for flying and then of course our Disney CC. There is nothing wrong with using Credit or have a little debt but when you are at the point that you have to sell items to pay for a vacation I have to wonder how wise of a choice it was to book the vacation int he first place OR did someone just go overboard.

Ok, no, not done.. :lmao:

I feel like people have read what OTHERS have said and are making it about what I originally wrote when it is NOT what I said..

We're not selling ANYTHING to afford this vacation... we spent 10K CASH on things that coudn't wait and therefore do not have the $2144 CASH for the final payment... I'm putting it on Credit because in 1 months time I well not have cash and it's DUE.... therefore... doing a bit of number crunching I was thinking that maybe we should drop back down the value and save that money... that's it.. that's all... all my intentions ever were. I even wrote I didn't want to put this on the budget board because I figured what's happening now would surely happen there!!

Sheesh I mean, someone actually took the time to quote every single thing I said that was poor money sense and another adding up all of the things I intend on spending!

Must be nice to be perfect!!

Queen2PrincessG I think its OK to have some debt too... I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

What makes it even harder for me if that every time I convince myself that a splurge is worth it because it's only $A more, my "baseline" for the vacation resets and I am ready to talk myself into another one because it's just a few dollars more per day. I would NEVER consider $A - $F all at once, but I could totally see myself adding one at a time thinking that it wouldn't cost all that much. In fact, I catch myself doing that very thing from time to time and then I scale back to a price that is more comfortable.

I have had credit card debt and it's not fun. We now use our credit card for everything, but pay it off every month. I also see how living on credit and living "hand to mouth" while making a comfortable income but very poor choices has effected my extended family. My sister is very much in the "my family is worth it!" camp and often convinces herself and her DH to spend money when they shouldn't.

Hahaha, I knew where this was gonna end up :lmao: Happens every time!

Just wanted to mention, I rented DVC points last Sept. and was able to get a studio at Old Key West for $90 a night! Have you looked into that? It's an awesome resort!

should we be responsible and go back to our humble beginnings at the value resorts when this was our FIRST upgrade to Moderate? (...) I'm just not THERE yet wanting to go to All Stars... I'm afraid they're not going to be the same quality as

YES, you definitely should.

And the All Stars are better than POP.

I wouldn't cancel either, as you've paid for the flights, BUT if I were you I would make it as cheap as POSSIBLE. Meaning cheapest resort, no hire car, no dining plan and all counter service. Or maybe just one table service if it was very important to me and not too expensive. I'm not telling hou what to do, just what I'd do.

Overspending when you don't have money is how people get into very serious debt. Just sayin.

I hope you have a great budget trip! ;):)

I feel like people have read what OTHERS have said and are making it about what I originally wrote when it is NOT what I said..

We're not selling ANYTHING to afford this vacation... we spent 10K CASH on things that coudn't wait and therefore do not have the $2144 CASH for the final payment... I'm putting it on Credit because in 1 months time I well not have cash and it's DUE.... therefore... doing a bit of number crunching I was thinking that maybe we should drop back down the value and save that money... that's it.. that's all... all my intentions ever were. I even wrote I didn't want to put this on the budget board because I figured what's happening now would surely happen there!!

Sheesh I mean, someone actually took the time to quote every single thing I said that was poor money sense and another adding up all of the things I intend on spending!

Queen2PrincessG I think its OK to have some debt too... I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

No I read all of your post. Daisy, i'm afraid however you aren't understanding mine. If you are saying right now that you have no cash for the trip how can you be comfortable putting it on a CC? it is still my opinion that you should drop to the value not rent the car, just do the regular dining plan and cut out the water parks. As it is, October FL weather is nice but not Water Park hot. You will be ok with a Value pool for break time. Also The Deluxe plan is only really worth it if you are going to do a lot of Character dining and it is A LOT OF FOOD! Third, what are you going to do about tipping people or emergencies. I can tell you want this to be a great trip for your family, WE ALL hear that loud and clear but I think what most people here ARE saying is that you can drop down your hotel and it will be a great trip. Minimize this trip so that your next will be grander. KWIM?

Good Luck!

OP, it's the title of your thread that caused most of the replies ;) You definitely implied that you had blown your budget and could not afford your trip (your words). So, everyone has been trying to help you cut costs, but yet have a nice vacation. But now you are getting a little huffy that people have actually been doing just that. Why ask, then say that's not what you meant at all? :confused3 Everyone's replies seem to be based on what you said :confused: I even mentioned in a post - way back - that you needed to change the title of your thread if you could indeed afford your trip as planned or "really" wanted advice on a more "budget-minded" but yet, very nice vacation - but you left it the way it was - confusing and misleading to all that were trying to help. :upsidedow

So let me get this straight, you don't have the money right now, but you will next month and will be able to pay off the credit card without incurring any interest?

If this is the case, why are you even considering changing things? Go enjoy your vacation as planned and pay it of when the bill comes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter