Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Thanks so much! Yeah I know from previous trips we can’t get our magic bands here which is why I didn’t think I could do online check in because we’d eseentially be checking in twice. But if we can just put the request in via the “check in” thing that would be great. It’s already available on my booking but l don’t go til feb - it’s there a time that’s too early to check in? Hahaha. I like the idea of checking in now being like “IM READY NOW” in October!
I used to make my location request in the same phone call as I made my reservation which was months before I was due to arrive, no harm in trying to do it early.

Looking for advice/input/opinions please.

We (family of three, two adults and a 4 year old) are looking at early March for about 5 days. I found availability at Jambo for a standard view studio. There was a warning about construction on value rooms. (This is a DVC stay.) Should I be worried about construction during that time period? Any specific requests I should put in? Other issues I haven’t even thought of?

I also found a savannah view studio at Kidani for the same time. But costs more points. Wondering if I should move our stay to Kidani instead.

Savannah view would be nicer but I’m not too worried about the room view since there’s so many nice lookout points from the resort. We don’t spend a lot of time in our room generally. More concerned about construction impact.

Would appreciate any thoughts you guys have on where to stay (Jambo vs Kidani), and if Jambo, what requests to put in.

I know a request is not a guarantee and odds are we will have an awesome time at either building! :) Haven't stayed at AKL before but have visited the resort for food many times. Love it already.

Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to our stay January 24 - February 3rd! Took advantage of the room discounts and switched our reservation from WL to AKL and saved almost $1000 USD. We were looking forward to trying a new resort but since we've switched, I have no regrets and am super excited to escape the cold to AKL once again :)
You will love it. It's a lovely resort and the knowledge of saving money and 1000 extra to put towards food etc. will have you in great spirits.

I’m getting ready to call in my room request. Right now I was thinking of requesting: Kudu trail, upper floor, renovated room.

I know all the rooms on kudu are renovated but just in case we don’t get kudu.

Instead of requesting Kudu, should the first request be partial savannah view?

Should I also give a room number? I saw someone did this as well and it worked out.

(1) I would say partial savanna view, if that is what you are looking for. It allows more possible rooms to give you that view type..
(2) I prefer to give a range of room numbers - again to increase the odds of getting what I want by giving the room assigner more options.

Good luck!

Hello wonderful people! My best friend and I will be staying at AKL for the first time in a standard view room in February. We’re so excited! We’re from Australia and trying to avoid making unnecessary international calls - does anyone know if it’s possible to put in a room request online prior to arrival? Specifically requesting close to transport? Thanks!
I'm an Aussie too - and know that Midnight flight you're taking as well ;)
Honestly it's easier to make the call.
You can do an online check in but with you being in the air it would be easier to call and have them add it to your reservation, phone calls don't cost much these days with all the competition out there. I made a tonne before our trip and they barely registered on my bill.

(1) I would say partial savanna view, if that is what you are looking for. It allows more possible rooms to give you that view type..
(2) I prefer to give a range of room numbers - again to increase the odds of getting what I want by giving the room assigner more options.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help. I did request a partial savanah view and a range of rooms for an idea.

Hope it works out. This is the first trip I’ve taken without touring plans.

Thanks for your help. I did request a partial savanah view and a range of rooms for an idea.

Hope it works out. This is the first trip I’ve taken without touring plans.

I hope that it does work for you, too! Here's a little pixie dust to get you started pixiedust:

However it works out.......AKL is a gorgeous resort regardless of where your room is located. It has lots of really nice animal viewing areas that are frequently empty. I love sitting in one of the rockers and just watching the savanna with a relaxing drink in my hand.....aaahh, great memories....

Also, sitting at a table outside Mara in the morning with a coffee or in the evening with a bowl of hot soup.........I am starting to want to go back to AKL! LOL!

Enjoy!!! pixiedust: Here's a little more pixie dust (because you can never have too much!) for good measure.

Good luck!

I just booked AKL for May with a PIN offer I got in the mail - so excited!! We've stayed there before but never with our kids. But our kids love Boma so planning to eat there once or twice at least.

My DH wanted to stay at Pop or CBR to save $$ but we are worried about the cheerleaders staying there so I convinced him to spend a little more for AKL :)

Seriously considering a stay here in late April for a long weekend. Should we work in a resort/pool day or will we feel like we got the “full experience” of the resort if we just see the animals before/after our park days? Also, how is The Mara?

Seriously considering a stay here in late April for a long weekend. Should we work in a resort/pool day or will we feel like we got the “full experience” of the resort if we just see the animals before/after our park days? Also, how is The Mara?

IF you have the time I think a resort/pool day would be a great idea. I've stayed there 3 times and never worked in a resort day, but I always wish I had. There's so much to do and see at the resort, and it's great to take some time to just relax!

I think the Mara is pretty solid. I like the falafel platter a lot, and there's some nice grab and go options.

We never did a resort day but we always spent a few hours swimming and playing at the resort every afternoon. We also just hung out on arrival and departure day. I think you should spend several hours there but it doesn’t necessarily have to be in a single resort day. We love the Mara. Especially the desserts.

Also, how is The Mara?

We LOVED it (and not just because my first name is Mara...though we did take tons of pictures in front of the signs!). We actually ate dinner there most nights. It's been a couple of years, but when we were there in 2017, the soups they served were the same ones that they have at Boma. They rotate - one or two choices each day - but it was an awesome discovery and I was able to have my favorite from Boma twice for dinner!

We LOVED it (and not just because my first name is Mara...though we did take tons of pictures in front of the signs!). We actually ate dinner there most nights. It's been a couple of years, but when we were there in 2017, the soups they served were the same ones that they have at Boma. They rotate - one or two choices each day - but it was an awesome discovery and I was able to have my favorite from Boma twice for dinner!

IF you have the time I think a resort/pool day would be a great idea. I've stayed there 3 times and never worked in a resort day, but I always wish I had. There's so much to do and see at the resort, and it's great to take some time to just relax!

I think the Mara is pretty solid. I like the falafel platter a lot, and there's some nice grab and go options.

We never did a resort day but we always spent a few hours swimming and playing at the resort every afternoon. We also just hung out on arrival and departure day. I think you should spend several hours there but it doesn’t necessarily have to be in a single resort day. We love the Mara. Especially the desserts.

Thanks for the info! If this trip pans out, we’ll definitely be spending at least an afternoon at the resort (mainly the pool). We usually have dinner in the parks but I think that if this works out, we’ll try to eat at Jiko. Is it difficult to get a reservation there between 120-180 days out?

Honestly, not a fan of The Mara, I feel their offerings aren't substantial. The rest of the restaurants on property are among the best in all of Disney, though!

Honestly, not a fan of The Mara, I feel their offerings aren't substantial. The rest of the restaurants on property are among the best in all of Disney, though!
Opinions seem to be pretty split on the Mara. We really enjoy it. We find most quick service at deluxe resorts to have a limited number of choices, but like what the mara has to offer. We particularly enjoy the option of getting the soup of the day from Boma.

Opinions seem to be pretty split on the Mara. We really enjoy it. We find most quick service at deluxe resorts to have a limited number of choices, but like what the mara has to offer. We particularly enjoy the option of getting the soup of the day from Boma.

This is how I feel about The Mara too. Definitely not as many choices as some resorts but I much prefer the options at the Mara to most others.

Is it possible to call in a room request? I have never really cared about room preference but we are having a lot of resort days on our upcoming stay (11/20-26) and it would be nice to have a partial savannah. We had one on our honeymoon and it was great. Any tips and tricks? Sorry if this has already been asked. Thanks!

Is it possible to call in a room request? I have never really cared about room preference but we are having a lot of resort days on our upcoming stay (11/20-26) and it would be nice to have a partial savannah. We had one on our honeymoon and it was great. Any tips and tricks? Sorry if this has already been asked. Thanks!
There really isn't any trick. You can call and they will note it on the reservation, but it is up to the room assigner.

Deciding between POP Century preferred, Yacht Club, or AKL standard room for our mother/daughter trip in late May. The skyliner isn't a big draw for us bu the renovated POP rooms are a good price with my code. We often stay at beach club, so that area with YC is also a perk for us. We love Animal Kingdom and couldn't help but notice the good price for a std with my code.

Here are the room-only totals for our six nights:
AKL standard: 1,692.34
Yacht Club standard: 2,052.24
POR French Quarter - 1,456.39 (king bed only, so we would have to share a bed)
POP Century preferred location: 986.42

Any thoughts on pros and cons? Ease & speed of transportation are the biggest factors for us. We aren't very adventurous eaters, so Boma, Jiko, etc aren't necessarily going to be big draws for us (although I know that they are supposed to be amazing). We have stayed at WL and liked the feel. I know AKL has a similar layout. The pool at POP doesn't appeal to us at all but we will only use the pool 1-2 times on our trip, as we are park people...
Help us decide? This is soooo hard - lol

AKL lovers...Tell me the perks of staying at AKL over any of the above options? :)

Deciding between POP Century preferred, Yacht Club, or AKL standard room for our mother/daughter trip in late May. The skyliner isn't a big draw for us bu the renovated POP rooms are a good price with my code. We often stay at beach club, so that area with YC is also a perk for us. We love Animal Kingdom and couldn't help but notice the good price for a std with my code.

Here are the room-only totals for our six nights:
AKL standard: 1,692.34
Yacht Club standard: 2,052.24
POR French Quarter - 1,456.39 (king bed only, so we would have to share a bed)
POP Century preferred location: 986.42

Any thoughts on pros and cons? Ease & speed of transportation are the biggest factors for us. We aren't very adventurous eaters, so Boma, Jiko, etc aren't necessarily going to be big draws for us (although I know that they are supposed to be amazing). We have stayed at WL and liked the feel. I know AKL has a similar layout. The pool at POP doesn't appeal to us at all but we will only use the pool 1-2 times on our trip, as we are park people...
Help us decide? This is soooo hard - lol

AKL lovers...Tell me the perks of staying at AKL over any of the above options? :)

For only $200 I’d stay at AKL over POR. Without it being too spread out I feel AKL has a lot of nice quiet spots to just relax. We love the pool there. We almost started at Beach Club for our next trip but I’ve heard how crowded the pool can get even in off times since it’s shared. So we opted to stay at AKL again. We didn’t find the buses to be an issue most of the time. We definitely add in a bit more travel time but not so much I feel it impacts our trip. We loved the Boma breakfast. Most of my family isn’t adventurous either and still found tons to eat.

However if you aren’t planning on spending time at the resort save your money and stay at POP and splurge on something else that will be more memorable for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter