January 2022 Trip Reports

Let's go for a walk around the Fort on my last afternoon there.

Walking across the road from the 1500 bus stop towards the pool, there was a mom in a canoe coming towards the footbridge with a young boy in the front who also had a paddle. He had to be 2yo at the most. And he was enjoying himself with the paddle in the water but it was not helping his mom propel them forward. But it was cute. A good experience for that very young man.

The pool was rockin' on Friday afternoon.

They've got a pool table and ping pong table under the breezeway entrance to the pool:

and if these kids brought any money with them ..... I might be persuaded :rolleyes1 to play them for a couple quarters. Just a FRIENDLY wager, of course :teeth:. So who's in? :rolleyes:

They have some oversized table games outside the pool entrance.

A family was doing the gem mining activity.

The archery activity was taking place behind the Bike Barn.

On the front side of the Bike Barn, the canoes and kayaks were stacked and racked.

The Meadow Trading Post and fishing pier was stoic and handsome.

Let's swing over to the campfire area.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
At the campfire area, the food truck was buttoned up and snoozing but the menu information might help somebody.

Heading into 1400 there was a gaggle of seven turkeys and these two were out in front.

At the 1400 entrance, the outer loop (where 1401 starts) had a campsite with 5 cars parked at it.

I need to put the live immersive DIS FW computer action game on hold and ask all players to pause while we get a ruling on this or call IT support. The game code is not supposed to support this many cars at a site.

Only one dog and owner at the pet park.

Swinging into 300 loop (which is Preferred), newer readers may be unaware that it is the only loop that paints "get back" lines on the campsites.

300 is a twisty loop with sites across from each other and sites can be close. Newly arriving campers trying to back into their site have a hard enough time with light posts, trash recepticles, site decorations, etc. So to be a good neighbor, your vehicle or rv should "get back" behind the yellow line to be a good neighbor.

But .....

We've probably all encountered a guy like this. His needs come first over yours. Have you met a guy like this? Don't be this guy. :sad2:

Out the backside of 300 to the canal, the spillway and bat house are still there.

On the Bay Lake side of the spillway, folks were fishing. The guy had caught a 4 pounder earlier in the afternoon.

Let's keep rolling.

Bama Ed

Still across the spillway past the bat house is the old cabin that is original to the early Fort years. I first came across it when we did a haunted hayride when the kids were little and that cabin is where the Headless Horseman jumped out and scared the beejeezes out of us.

The old Fort Wilderness Railroad bed between 700 and 800 is still visible.

Another fun Fort fact. This black/white gravel was used between the railroad ties on the FWRR.

You can still find some to the sides of sidewalks, for example, that were later built on top of the old railroad grade. It's not native to Florida so it's easy to find.

Last stop was at the Meadow Trading Post on the 900 side. Very picturesque.

The spanish moss on this side of the TP is colossal.

I saved my final two pictures from the entire week for this last walkaround post because they are special to me. Most of ya'll have seen them before. But here they are again. :rolleyes:

First, my name in a sidewalk somewhere in the Fort.

I STILL have no idea how it got there. :confused3

Second, I check in on the last little bit of remaining FWRR steel rail that is still out there in the Wilderness.

Things were fine. So we're still good. :thumbsup2

My trip report is done.

Bama Ed

PS - any lighthouse pix on the Naples swing if I post them will be in the Chit Chat thread on the Camping Community Board.

Some final thoughts & some swag…

The park scene looks like a nightmare. I cannot fathom staying up till midnight on my vacation on my phone trying to set up my next day and then again the next morning at 7am to maybe get the attraction I want…what do you mean, maybe??? HA! Then watching your phone all day trying to make changes to what may or may not come available? No thanks!

Or choose to not do any of the above and stand in line for 3 plus hours for an attraction that lasts a couple minutes…nope! Time is so precious and even more so while on vacation; I will not waste it.

My older two children didn’t want to do the parks, so they were fine. They are older now and really loved their freedom to hop on their bike and get a head start to the pool. They were granted charging privileges this trip as I wanted to see how well they could self govern themselves. They did well, made me proud. They are wise spenders. I do wish we would have done one day at MK for my little, just in case they don’t let us in next year….

I scheduled a brunch at AK Lodge but cancelled it.

Like I said before, I don’t need to go looking for disappointment. So you know what we did? We didn’t go looking for it…aka parks and Disney dining. We had to come to FL for business so we might as well enjoy the worlds best campground. And that is exactly what it is and exactly how we treated it.

As a campground!

A new for us was trail riding. The big kids and I did the 55 minute trail ride TWICE! While hubby took the little down to ride Cinderella’s ponies a 100 times over. Worth it!

Disney Springs was nice. We did some major shopping twice! It’s nice cause we don’t have any of those stores in rural Midwest. We also did Deluxe Burger twice. Loooooove their FF. Lunch at Disney Springs is the same price as my local rural tavern on a Tuesday. It seems the outside world is now everything Disney priced, except Disney now…lol! Everyone complaining about the prices, yet I saw no difference, actually surprised it wasn’t more. I also feel that way about the campsites. I can stay at an indoor waterpark for $350 a night or a campsite for $100 that offers me even more. Fort wins every time!

I picked up some new American Smokie the Bear T-shirts for myself and the kids. Added a few new plush critters for the kids, some more magnets, and some playing cards. I returned the sassy swimsuit for the little and just let her wear T-shirt and shorts. Didn’t want to do that….would have loved to have bought new swims, new crocs, new towels….planned on it….but that didn’t happen cause they have slim to little merchandise at the Meadows and Trading Post. The lady told me that’s all they can get in cause of China and shipping delays. Oh please, lady! That line might have worked on you and the ten other guests you told before me, but I know better. Oh? Is that the same for World of Disney? Nope! This is intentional. Same for back home. Valentine candy section stocked to the brim, canning supplies and self sufficient items are nowhere to be found. Hmmm. How about that. You know what the difference between a conspiracy theorist and the truth is?.....about six months to a year! lol. Oh and they replaced the children’s toy section at the Meadows with dog collars and bowls. Came back home with more money in my pocket than I had planned.

Disney and the Fort are not what they use to be. I’m glad I got to experience many trips with my family when it was. We still had a memorable stress free time (because we made it that way) and enjoyed almost every minute of being there. We visited with several happy campers in the clover loop that come back year after year at the same time just like us and really enjoyed seeing Kris again and finally FINALLY after all these years, meeting Snowmedic, Bama Ed, and Jim. At this moment, I believe we will be back again next January. It still is the world's best campground to me!

Thanks for the magnet, Bama Ed!

71325CDA-38DA-407D-A9C7-3D854685C621.jpeg

09C3D77C-D8E7-48B3-AB81-6FE5EC98116C.jpeg

583C3D8D-359F-47B5-9746-DFD83949B0CA.jpeg

Last edited:

Well we left the Fort at about 10:30 Friday morning after taking one more trip around in the golf cart and got to say by to Teamubr , hope you have a safe trip home. After watching the weather forecast for the I-95 corridor we decided to take the inland route home. We headed up 75 and over to Dothan up to Montgomery then called it a night in Franklin Kentucky. Then it was up to Cleveland Ohio but a quick stop in Mansfield for a pic.
37FBB911-4CFF-4981-8F2A-00ACF881E73B.jpeg

The Ohio State Reformatory where much of Shawshank Redemption was filmed. We got there about 3:45 and the tours ended at 4 so no inside tour, but we will be back for the tour in late April.

After making our way up to Cleveland then across to I-81 north to Fort Drum we ran into lake effect snow for about 2 hrs. We finally made it home at 3:00 A.M. Sunday morning. Took what we needed out of the car for a little sleep and plugged my work truck in, it has been sitting in negative temps for 12 days. To my surprise after cycling the glow plugs 2 times it started up with no problems this morning.

We had a great trip, although short. We got to meet some new people and also seen someone we met before, bama_ed. Sorry we missed you on check out day, safe travels. Medium Medic had a great birthday, even got a few goodies from cast members while wearing her birthday pin.

We are hoping to meet some more friends from the boards in the near future, I know we will be in the area of some of you, although not camping ( staying in hotels ) Maybe we can meet up somewhere for drinks and chatting.

I made our reservation today for next January, 8 -22 2023.
Our next trip to the Fort will be the begging of June, probably staying in the cabins. Not sure yet.

Hope everyone is enjoying there time at the Fort and safe travels where ever the road takes you.

snowmedic.

I need to put the live immersive DIS FW computer action game on hold and ask all players to pause while we get a ruling on this or call IT support. The game code is not supposed to support this many cars at a site.
Ok, that's gettin' a little ridiculous

I just realized I didn't post any updates since last Monday.

We are home. :worried: Left yesterday about 0645. Pulled into the driveway about 9:30PM CST last night. So just short of 16 hours for the 1003 miles. No major issues on the drive. ATL wasn't bad at 1:30 in the afternoon. I was surprised. Wind was terrible until we got to mid-Georgia. I used the TSD card for fuel in Florida. It saved about 30 cents/gallon, but interestingly, the non-truck stop stations at the same exit were 30-40 cents cheaper than the Loves or TA, but big rigs can't fit. I stopped for fuel a second time at the Buc-ee's north of ATL. There was a Loves across the street I was planning on stopping at and using the TSD card again. TSD price at LOVES was $3.50 ($3.84 pump price). Buc-ee's was $3.34. This was a short stop, but when I checked fuel prices on the TSD app, N. GA was a lot cheaper than TN where I would have had to stop. Buc-ee's was right at the half way point home and I wouldn't need to stop for fuel again, so Buc-ee's it was.

So back to what we did from Tuesday until yesterday.

Tuesday was a MK day. Ian and I rope dropped it along with Ed and his family. Ed described the ride outages that morning. Our original plan was to hit 7DMT, but it was on a delayed opening. We were some of the crowd that shifted to Peter Pan. Saw Ed in the queue. Then we waited for the 2nd rope drop to get to Frontierland. That side of the park, Adventureland and Frontierland, doesn't open until the official park opening. We were on our way to BTM, but a CM said it was not running yet. We made an immediate backtrack to Jungle Cruise. We had a great CM who had a bunch of new things in her spiel (along with the oldies). She was great! BTM was running by now with 15 minute wait. It had obviously just opened. By the time we got there, it was up to 30, but still much better than it usually is.

It was 10am by now and most of the rides were up to 45-90 minutes. We grabbed some coffee and a cup of vanilla/orange from Orange Bird. I passed on the souvenir cup. Buzz was only at 45 minutes so we did that. I had checked enough boxes for the day and headed back to the Fort to relax and wander. Ian stayed for a while, then decided to go to DS for the afternoon. He does like to shop.

Wednesday was the meet. Ed covered it well. It was nice to see Don, Joe and Cathi again. We had a nice time on a gorgeous day. It was probably the best day of our entire 2 week stay. Sunny, mid 70s. That night we went over to DS and wandered the shops for a bit, then ended up at Jock Lindley's. Great atmosphere and view. Drinks were good.

20220119_181851_copy_2304x1296.jpg

Thursday was a HS day. Ian and I wanted to do MFSR. Donna hung out as it makes her motion sick. We didn't do rope drop as the ride doesn't have a huge standby time until later in the day. The ride was only a 30 minute wait, so our plan worked out. Ian and I were both the pilots, so it worked out well. I often act as Ian's navigator on his racecar games and help point out things in Flight Sim, so we communicated pretty well with video games. We pulled in 2 containers and brought the Falcon home in 1 piece. We had some good gunners too. After a successful flight, TSM was showing 30 minutes. We jumped on that (it was actually 30 minutes). By the time we got off the ride, it was over an hour and the line was half way to Joffre's on Commissary Row. Donna and I didn't have any plans for the rest of the park. Ian headed off to ToT. Donna and I hit a few of the shops that way and then decided to watch the Beauty and the Beast show that was getting ready to start in the open theater by ToT. It was a cute show. It was early afternoon by now, Donna and I headed back to the Fort. I had made a TE reservation for dinner earlier in the day. We wanted to give it a try despite the consistently poor reviews. It certainly wasn't the old TE buffet, but the food wasn't terrible. I really liked the sausage, salad and green beans. The brisket was pretty fatty, but had an OK taste. We had asked for fried chicken, know you could do that. They brought the baked/rotisserie chicken out in the pan, but had a separate plate with just fried chicken. It is the usual P&J's friend chicken, so it was good. Overall, a solid meal as long as you don't have any expectations this will be like the buffet. We passed on deserts as we had a late reservation at Beaches and Cream.

B&C was a first for us. We had always read it was great, but we could never get a reservation and we weren't even sure where it was in the Beach Club. That left us with a dilemma. Our B&C reservation was for 9:50pm. Buses from the parks only run for an hour after park closure. The latest park closed at 9. Then we thought we would bus to DS and use that as the transfer spot since Disney wants you to spend money there and runs the buses late. We ended up driving over. They had a sign up saying due to demand, parking was limited to resort guests only. The gate CM simply scanned my magic band and saw the B&C reservation and let us in.

Beaches and Cream was great. We had a fun server. I didn't realize they also served food. Ian and I saw the chili/cheese tots and the bacon/cheese tots and had to try them. Donna and I split a Mini Mickey Sink. We changed it up from the standard 3 flavor and toppings. It was good and all gone by the time we left. Despite eating a few hours earlier at TE, we finished all the tots and the ice cream.

20220120_215131_copy_2016x1134.jpg

I had never been to Beach Club and only once at Yacht Club when we ate at The Yachtsman (excellent BTW). We arrived almost an hour early for our B&C reservation, incase we had to park at DS and bus over. This gave us a lot of time to wander the resorts. I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Beach Club felt so much like home. We walked out to the beach just as EPCOT fireworks were going off. Nice view. Storm Along Bay is an amazing pool and the whole feel of the Boardwalk area is fun. While at B&C, I pulled up a random week for early November at Beach Club. A water view room was only $780/night. Ian asked how much a 1 bedroom would be. I was afraid to look. Looks like we'll be staying with the Fort.

Friday was our last parks day and as we usually do, we finish the trip at MK. Ian rope dropped. Donna and I slept in. I had to drop the Kenny Cart at the Outpost bus stop by 0930 for the next person. I spent most of the morning packing up. I decided to winterize before we left for home. Highs were forecast in the low 40s, but nights would be around 20. I finished flushing pink stuff everywhere by noon and was just waiting for the ice maker to make some pink ice before I capped everything. 7DMT was the only ride at MK I hadn't been able to do in standby. Since our rope drop plans were foiled on Tuesday, I went ahead and bought ILL for all 3 of us. I picked a time later in the evening, so we could go over later and stay for Enchantment. That worked out pretty well. We went over to the park about 2pm. Walked the shops on Main Street again. We rode the People Mover, Buzz and Pirates. It was approaching our 6:15 LL time for 7DMT so we headed back to the BatB area. I had never been in the shops back there and we never rode the Little Mermaid ride. It was showing 30 minute standby, that was more like 45-50, but it was cute. It was now 6:30 and we jumped on 7DMT. it was still a 75 minute standby time, so I didn't feel too bad paying for this one.

After our LL ride, it was about an hour before Enchantment. The hub was mostly filled in. Donna and Ian wanted to walk the Main St. shops again. We ended up all the way back to the front of the park and Main St. was starting to fill in for the show. I walked it in the middle of the street by the Confectionary entrance and stood for 30 minutes. This was a great decision. Good view of the castle and fireworks and great view of the projections on Main St. The first time we saw Enchantment, we were outside Casey's, much closer to the castle. I had to keep turning around to see Main St and missed what was going on in front. The view back by the park entrance tied it all together. I can't say the theme of Enchantment was any better, but the overall show is much better appreciated farther back.

20220121_194934_copy_2016x1134.jpg

I didn't get any pics of the Main St. projections during the show. I was too busy taking it all in. I think Ian has some. I'll check his phone and post some here. It really does add to the show.

Donna summed it up at the end. "Disney knows how to do fireworks, but this one doesn't have the same feel".

We took the boat and bus back to our home in the 1600 loop. I fired up the coach, pulled in the slides, dropped the legs and blew up the air bags so all I had to do in the morning was unplug and leave. The coach requires the engine to be running to move the slides and lift the stabilizers. I figured it was be less disruptive for out neighbors, some in tents, to do it at 9pm instead of 6am.

So that's it. Two great weeks at the Fort, 10 park days, lots of meals and shopping. I was really nice to meet with @Boomer1 (Krista), @ilovedisneymm (Melissa), Ed, Don and Joe. I'm still letting it all soak in. This was my 2nd "Covid Disney" trip. It was definitely different than the 1st at the October 2020 DIS Meet. Some better, some worse. I'll post up some thoughts and observations in a day or so.

j

Last edited:
Ok, that's gettin' a little ridiculous
This was fairly prevalent the whole trip. The site across from us had some local campers come in over the weekend. At one point, they had 3 trucks, a car, a utility trailer and a golf cart. Here was a pic Saturday morning looking out my front window. They were all gone Monday morning.

20220116_160943_copy_2304x1296.jpg

j

Last edited:
I was thinking about the parking situation when I was there. It would be hard enough with the trash cans and site markers in the way, what do you do when there is a vehicle parked next to the road and no one is around? Call the front desk and ask for a different site? :sad2:
With the plan on bringing the RV next January I was just curious.

We did see a few cars with the friendly Fort reminder about parking on there windshields while there.

what do you do when there is a vehicle parked next to the road and no one is around? Call the front desk and ask for a different site? :sad2:
On arrival, asking for a different site is easiest. I was a little concerned leaving yesterday morning. Further around the loop there had been a 5er with a big black truck on the inside of the loop. Most of the day Friday, he had about 2 ft of the truck sticking out into the road. No reason to. He had plenty of room to back in closer to his trailer. Friday night, when we came back from MK, he had moved it back to where the front bumper was exactly at the edge of the road. Again, at least 5 or 6 ft between the back of his truck and the camper. I was a little concerned getting around the corner as there was a trashcan and post on the other side of the road. I got through fine, but had less than 6 inches. Donna asked what I would have done if he was in the road again, I said knock on doors at 6am and if that didn't work, the air horns on the coach are pretty impressive.

j

@Teamubr
Jim, I know you guys are thinking of living on one of the coasts post retirement. If you can spare a day, or an overnight next time you're here, check out our hood. It's not on the coast, but it's only a half hour from Disney. About an hour an 15 from Coco, same to Clearwater. About 7 hours to Key West and 6 to the panhandle. Anyway, I don't make commission, but I always suggest people with RVs thinking about moving down here to at least give it a look.

Glad to hear that Jim, Vince and families got home safely. We are still enjoying the Fort even if someone shut off the heat. Yesterday I made reservations for January 2023 for the same time. Looking forward to seeing some of you again. We continue to visit the parks in the mornings and then returning to the motorhome to relax in the afternoon. The plan at present is to leave on the 31st but we will keep an eye on the weather for the trip home.

Did you get the full month of January, Boomer1? Are you going through a travel agent to get all you days? If so, could you kindly message me who you use? I’m only seeing 5 days at a time when I try to book for next January.

Same question, Vince? I too was trying to book the second and third week just a few days ago and not able to get all dates available? Are you using a travel agent or ???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter