Job Hunting Advice

MrJT

Collector of Mickey Merch
To be honest, I am a little hesitant to ask, because I have seen how when one asks a question here, you can often get plenty of contradicting opinions, but I’m feeling froggy this morning, so I am going to give it a shot.

Maybe two months ago, I applied for a job working for my dream company. I have wanted to work here for decades. I never heard anything, but I would periodically check the Workday site, and I saw that there was still the opening that I applied for. Fast-forward to yesterday and I am chatting with a friend, who I don’t talk to often and we were never that close, but this friend works for that company. We were talking about something completely unrelated to the job application. I ended up mentioning that I applied for a job but haven’t heard anything. He asked me to send him my resume. After tweaking it a bit, and giving it a little more polish, I did.

The question I present is this: Is this out of my hands completely now? Do I follow up with said friend? How long do I wait?

Some companies get so many responses they don't reply to anyone unless they want to interview them. My palce of work is like that. All resumes here have to go through HR an not direct to managers.

But I would follow up with the friend and ask how applications there work. You could have been a victim of an automated resume screener that looks for key/buzz words before a human ever reads it.

You could have been a victim of an automated resume screener that looks for key/buzz words before a human ever reads it.
I hope that's the case. I guess that I'll bug him in a day or two.

My daughter works for a big company that has job openings posted as public (either on their website or through other job posting sites such as Indeed.com). You will generally not even get a call back unless someone from the company submits for you. So if someone wants to work there she tells them to go on the site and find the posting/opening they seemed geared for and then send them her resume. She has them apply against it and then she forwards the resume personally to the hiring manager. And THAT's how you get hired there. I'm not sure why they even bother with these public postings, but maybe once in awhile they use it.

I applied for many jobs that I never heard back from. Or I heard from MONTHS later.
Just last week or so I got a denial from a job application I put in in October of last year.

Ummm... thanks for telling me I guess? Though I have had a job and have been happy with it for 8 months now.

To the OP, there is absolutely nothing wrong with following up with your friend on the job. But you only get 1 follow-up or else you risk annoying your friend who went out of their way to help you out. So I would say wait about 2 weeks and then follow-up (but try to do it in a friendly manner rather than "yo what's up with the job man?") I've gotten a few of those before and it annoys me to no end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter