• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jollywood Nights

I can't imagine what that Guest Relations line looked like! I don't blame people. How could Disney not plan for these things? MVMCP runs line a well oiled machine. One in park wristband distribution line? Massive lines spilling onto Sunset Boulevard for Theater of the Stars that's loaded numerous times a day for Beauty and the Beast? I think the food lines were so long because people were just hungry and options were so limited. When do you see Fairfax Fare with a wait longer than ToT?

I'm not really sure what Disney will do to rectify the issues for future Jollywood Nights. Sure it can add more wristband distributions and throw some tablecloths on the high tops by Tower of Terror, but the core event still seems to be lacking. Rides seemed to be the only "value" for the price of the ticket. It's just unfortunate because it comes from greed. Disney took Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam away from day guests and put it in an up charge event. Sunset Seasons Greetings shouldn't be a party draw when it runs every night. A Gertie cookie could be sold all day and be popular. You get two shows which both honestly seem underwhelming. I felt so bad for the actors in "What's This" and no one was singing in the videos I watched. I also didn't understand why the Muppets, Mickey + Minnie, and Belle would all sing in the same show? And that was the highlight of the event.

I'm not as disappointed as I was initially to miss this party on my Christmas week trip. I don't know why but I was thinking this would be more of a 40's style themed party by the media I've seen and the urge for people to dress up in the era's fashions which some were doing. A big band would have been welcome and some streetmosphere on Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards. Also, what's with avoiding SWGE area for the most part? I also agree with another PP complaining about Disney doing JBJB at an upcharge event but not for regular day guests. Sounds like a Grinchy move. Are fireworks at DHS going the way of a nighttime parade at MK?

Last edited:

I also attended the first Jollywood nights. (I would have preferred not to go on the first night but due to work that was the only evening that I could have made it.) I agree with all of the other reviews. I did enjoy the Muppets/Belle/Tiana show-- that was honestly the reason that I booked the party to begin with. I would have liked to be able to go to Brown Derby but was not able to get in (though I knew to begin with that it would be difficult to get into that).

The food lines and the line to get the wristband were out of control. I do hope that Disney is able to improve that. I wanted to try the Mexican food at ABC commissary but the line was out the door and down the street and I was hungry so I settled for Dockside diner and even that was a pretty long wait.

I'm not a Nightmare Before Christmas fan, but I did see the show and I do think it was well done. I left at midnight due to the rain and having to fly home the next morning. I would have liked to see Jingle Bell Jingle Bam, but I was just too tired and the rain had started.

I did have a very short wait for Rise, so I guess it was worth the cost of an ILL :-).

I'm generally very positive about all things Disney, but I don't think I'll ever do this again unless there are major improvements. It was too expensive and not enough to do to spread the crowds around. I attended MVMCP the night before and had a great time-- no comparison and the prices were about the same.

I don't know why but I was thinking this would be more of a 40's style themed party by the media I've seen and the urge for people to dress up in the era's fashions which some were doing. A big band would have been welcome and some streetmosphere on Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards. Also, what's with avoiding SWGE area for the most part?
It would be fun to imagine what the '40s were like on Batuu. 😁

I’d love to see some kind of dance party/drinks/food carts in Galaxies Edge,
Disneylands Oga just announced new food for “life day”

If WDW did something like that just for the party that could spread out the crowd a bit. And maybe grab the singer from Starcrusier

The “bar cart” is pretty laughable though but I guess I didn’t know what else to expect

SWGE and TSL aside there could be a parade or even cavalcades. Maybe a return of the Citizens of Hollywood? Disney could put the Star Wars stage back in front of the Chinese Theater and have a stage show there as well. How about one free gingerbread cookie themed after the mascot redeemable at multiple carts away from the paid treats?

It doesn't seem like crowds can disperse well.

Wow. For something with such an appealing concept, it seems the execution was pretty lacking. The shows at least sound pretty good - if you can get into see them all of course. That's super unfortunate, as it seemed like such a cool idea.
Which makes it all the more disappointing as Disney has such success with Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Perhaps they didn't use the same program team for this one?

Which makes it all the more disappointing as Disney has such success with Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Perhaps they didn't use the same program team for this one?
was thinking about this.... why are the parties at MK or the various festivals a Epcot so successful... open space and spreading out the guests.

MK has the big central castle hub... folks can come and go from multiple directions, see the show/fireworks... wide open and huge amounts of people can fill the hub, surrounding areas. With the exception of what they do at the Chinese Theater... all the show areas at Hollywood are bottlenecks... for example like the Fantasmic theater. Of course they needed more food carts etc. ... and a parade would have also helped.

It is almost like they forgot they were having the event LOL, and then were scrambling... I just can't imagine that they thought a couple of drink carts, a piano player with some tinsel and a 40 minute wait for a sugar cookie was going to do it.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that anyone can actually be surprised by this. Disney tends to host oversold money grabs for about the past decade or so. This isn't surprising at all.

Behind the scenes: how can we capitalize on Dapper Days during the holidays with the least amount of staffing and highest ROI?

Disney for at least 20 years now has had a minimum ROI that needs to be met for something to be green lit. This is in pretty much every department. With that, creative and operations basically slashes budgets and ideas while raising ticket prices as best they think they can to get things approved. This concept is a major reason the company has taken a major nosedive the past few years.

In addition to there not being any special party activities in GE, didn't I read somewhere that ROTR was down part of the time? I know that ride entrance isn't near the Falcon, but ROTR being down would have reduced traffic in all of GE, right?

Based on past experience, there was a good chance that it was down for part of the party. :)

But, those pics were taken on the way to our boarding group. So, we were on the ride a few minutes after taking them.

Hopefully they take the feedback and make it better over the time of the event.
I doubt it - but you can hope.

It was the first one so I guess they can get cut some slack - but they are charging quite a bit so they really need to do better.

When the most positive streamers are having a tough time being positive and don't recommend the event you have a big problem.

I'm surprised that anyone can actually be surprised by this. Disney tends to host oversold money grabs for about the past decade or so. This isn't surprising at all.

Behind the scenes: how can we capitalize on Dapper Days during the holidays with the least amount of staffing and highest ROI?

Disney for at least 20 years now has had a minimum ROI that needs to be met for something to be green lit. This is in pretty much every department. With that, creative and operations basically slashes budgets and ideas while raising ticket prices as best they think they can to get things approved. This concept is a major reason the company has taken a major nosedive the past few years.
They can capitalize on Xmas and Halloween just fine. I would have expected them to succesfully capitalize on this too.

I haven't watched any reviews. The only feedback I've gotten was from this thread. It's odd because I've been pretty down on Disney lately, but, aside from the mess of getting a wristband, the evening was great for our touring style. Sure, they could have had some more snacks and more special merch, but as someone who was ready to give up on going to WDW, ending our trip at an empty park with some snow, cool lights and very little wait time was perfect. I understand that everyone has different reasons for going though, so it might have been a letdown for others. But, if they didn't change a thing, I would spend the day at the pool and attend again.

Last edited:
I haven't watched any reviews. The only feedback I've gotten was from this thread. It's odd because I've been pretty down on Disney lately, but, aside from the mess of getting a wristband, the evening was great for our touring style. Sure, they could have had some more snacks and more special merch, but as someone who was ready to give up on going to WDW, ending our evening at an empty park with some snow, cool lights and very little wait time was perfect. I understand that everyone has different reasons for going though, so it might have been a letdown for others. But, if they didn't change a thing, I would spend the day at the pool and attend again.

Thank you for this. I’m keeping my ticket to Jollywood because that sounds like a pleasant, relaxed evening to enjoy some rides and maybe some extra park atmosphere. If some of the kinks get worked out, great! If not, then more people will cancel/skip/switch/not buy tickets, and it may be more enjoyable that way.

From what I’m reading, my game plan to have a good time will be:

1. Plan to enter after 7:00 and pick up a wristband on the way into the park.
2. Eat something before the party. Then choose extra snacks/drinks at the party selectively based on lines, not need.
3. Get on the waitlist for HBD immediately at 8:15, and then go enjoy other things until called - whenever that is.
4. Plan to enjoy favorite rides with short lines. Tower of Terror with little/no wait? Yes!!! Multiple times? Yes!!!
5. Have a plan B if your virtual queue falls for RotR through. Walk in cocktail at Oga’s? Yes!!! Snack at Baseline? Yes!!!
6. Maybe stop by and check out the entertainment at ToT and Commissary Lane for as long as it’s fun. Skip the over sweet pre-mixed cocktails.
7. Temper expectations and go with the flow. If something doesn’t meet expectations or isn’t fun, do something else - like a ride or just enjoy a less crowded park.
8. Bring rain gear :umbrella: just in case.
9. Provide feedback to Disney about the experience and what could be improved.

Anything I missed?

Thank you for this. I’m keeping my ticket to Jollywood because that sounds like a pleasant, relaxed evening to enjoy some rides and maybe some extra park atmosphere. If some of the kinks get worked out, great! If not, then more people will cancel/skip/switch/not buy tickets, and it may be more enjoyable that way.

2. Eat something before the party. Then choose extra snacks/drinks at the party selectively based on lines, not need.
3. Get on the waitlist for HBD immediately at 8:15, and then go enjoy other things until called - whenever that is.
4. Plan to enjoy favorite rides with short lines. Tower of Terror with little/no wait? Yes!!! Multiple times? Yes!!!
5. Have a plan B if your virtual queue falls for RotR through. Walk in cocktail at Oga’s? Yes!!! Snack at Baseline? Yes!!!
6. Maybe stop by and check out the entertainment at ToT and Commissary Lane for as long as it’s fun. Skip the over sweet pre-mixed cocktails.
7. Temper expectations and go with the flow. If something doesn’t meet expectations or isn’t fun, do something else - like a ride or just enjoy a less crowded park.

Anything I missed?
Sounds like a good plan.
Enjoy! :goodvibes

Anything I missed?
You win this thread :) ❤️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter