Joy to the World: an offsite Christmas extravaganza at Disney, Universal & SeaWorld – Dec. 2016 TR

Lucky for you, there isn't much to catch up on :rolleyes1. I'm a terrible trip reporter. I'd like to say I've been holed up in a charming chateau on a mountain in Quebec, but I've been just.....inefficient. An update is coming though.....don't fall off your chair in shock :rolleyes:.
Sad to say I'm back from the mountain. It was a tad difficult to go in to work today after an 8 hour drive home yesterday......ok, maybe it wasn't the drive home that got me but the partying that took place for 4 straight nights. Don't know but we had a GREAT time and my liver hurts.

Sounds like the Christmas party was fun but I'm getting the feeling that you felt a tiny bit disappointed with it. It really is not at all the same as the Halloween parties. I would go again but it isn't that much different than any other night at MK.

Love the update! MVMCP is always a fun time (though I didn't make it to a party last year)

Sad to say I'm back from the mountain. It was a tad difficult to go in to work today after an 8 hour drive home yesterday......ok, maybe it wasn't the drive home that got me but the partying that took place for 4 straight nights. Don't know but we had a GREAT time and my liver hurts.

Did you wave as you went by this time? At least I was home this time!

I hear Tremblant is a fun spot year round (although I have only been there for ski weekends). Have to remember it for a summer weekend getaway sometime. Did you go to the Scandinave Spa? I bet the plunge into the Riviere du Diable isn't nearly as cold this time of year as it is in February!

Getting caught up now! So sorry to hear that so many fell ill during the trip - such a shame but it's great that you and Steve were still able to enjoy new experiences together. Portofino looks lovely! I didn't see it when I was there but my boyfriend stayed there as a teen and thinks it's the nicest hotel option (with Hard Rock being his favorite for proximity and fun-factor (whatever that means!)). It's been a good 7 years since he's been though and after seeing my pictures from last summer, he's looking forward to checking out RPR whenever we venture back. He has a few Tampa-based cousins who may soon get engaged so I'm thinking we may be down there sooner than either of us ever anticipated! He hasn't seen Diagon Alley and we're both excited to check out Volcano Bay.

I must say, even though I'm probably in the minority here in that I'm not Orlando-addicted, keeping up with Orlando trip reports is a ton of fun! So while I'd rather spend my vacation time visiting places I've never been to before, it's so great reading from people who absolutely adore Orlando.

Did you wave as you went by this time? At least I was home this time!

I hear Tremblant is a fun spot year round (although I have only been there for ski weekends). Have to remember it for a summer weekend getaway sometime. Did you go to the Scandinave Spa? I bet the plunge into the Riviere du Diable isn't nearly as cold this time of year as it is in February!
I actually did wave. The GPS took us right through downtown Ottawa and through Gatineau.
IMG_3062.JPG
I absolutely loved Tremblant and highly recommend it in the summer. Didn't have time for the spa but we did the scenic gondola to the highest point(which also happens to be one of the highest points in the Laurentians) and rode the Luge. I would return in a heartbeat but wish it wasn't quite so far away. BTW, there is a 3% resort tax on everything.

Perhaps it a French thing be we found that a couple of times in the restaurants the waiters made a point of letting us know that the tip was not included on the tab. Did not appreciate that especially when the service was poor.

GC had her first legal drinks and went to the SAQ to purchase 'supplies'. The team won top studio and GC finished first overall in 5 categories. The event was actually really bad. I would say the worst I've ever been to in terms of organization and communication. They also nickel and dimed us to death.

For my non Canadian peeps the above pic is of our Parliament buildings. Taken from the back side across the river which divides two provinces. The pointy part on the left is the most gorgeous library and the pointy part on the right is a clock tower.

I actually did wave. The GPS took us right through downtown Ottawa and through Gatineau.
View attachment 249627
I absolutely loved Tremblant and highly recommend it in the summer. Didn't have time for the spa but we did the scenic gondola to the highest point(which also happens to be one of the highest points in the Laurentians) and rode the Luge. I would return in a heartbeat but wish it wasn't quite so far away. BTW, there is a 3% resort tax on everything.

Perhaps it a French thing be we found that a couple of times in the restaurants the waiters made a point of letting us know that the tip was not included on the tab. Did not appreciate that especially when the service was poor.

GC had her first legal drinks and went to the SAQ to purchase 'supplies'. The team won top studio and GC finished first overall in 5 categories. The event was actually really bad. I would say the worst I've ever been to in terms of organization and communication. They also nickel and dimed us to death.
Which comp was it?

Splash Mountain is a very long ride. It's nice when you're on it, not so much when you're waiting. Using baby swap there is pretty much torture. Have you even gone on the ride?

Nope, I have never mustered the courage to ride it. I hate drops. And when I say 'hate', I mean my heart literally pounds and my pulse races in those moments when I know that the drop is imminent. I despise the sensation of "losing your stomach" and it feels to me like I'm plunging to my death :scared:. Steve enjoys the ride SO much, I really do wish I could summon the courage to ride it with him just once, but I'm afraid I may have a heart attack in line just from the negative anticipation alone.

Yeah, we ate very little of the cookies. And while the ice was cute, had not great taste either. We all wanted hot chocolate. But we found only a few that had the right ratio. Most were ick, too much water.

It was a beautiful evening though. And while my DS had to go back to the room, DD and I enjoyed the fireworks before leaving. All enjoyed the parade. We had a good place in frontierland.

I was thinking of doing the party again this year, but the price is so high, and we're going to be there after the parties end. So, we're going to do the parade one night, and the fireworks another day. Plus, we'll have some snacks and drinks that we will enjoy.

Great pictures, and hope your Canadian and American celebrations were fun. Enjoyed seeing your FB pictures too.

Thank you Lynne! It was great to experience our very first 4th of July celebrations :). We met some of the nicest people and had a ton of fun. Amazing fireworks, too!

Sorry to hear that you arrive too late to take in a party. Your Plan B sounds like a great one, though. You definitely won't be missing anything as far as the free snacks are concerned :rolleyes1.

We didn't really try any treats during MVMCP, and I'm kind of glad after hearing they weren't that good. Josh couldn't eat most of them anyway.

Oh no! This is something I definitely would've done too :rotfl:

Is Josh gluten sensitive? I wonder if they offer alternatives for those with food allergies (like they do at MNSSHP)? :scratchin

Sounds like the Christmas party was fun but I'm getting the feeling that you felt a tiny bit disappointed with it. It really is not at all the same as the Halloween parties. I would go again but it isn't that much different than any other night at MK.

I don't want to say we were disappointed, because we really did have a fun time that night. We both agreed, though, that the Halloween party felt more Halloweeny than the Christmas party felt Christmassy, if that makes sense. I guess we just found that there was very little Christmas outside of the Main Street area :confused3. Unlike Seaworld (where Christmas is spread throughout the ENTIRE park, from decor to events to everything in between), other than the Voiceplay stage and a few holiday character meets, most everything else was pretty centralized. There just seemed to be more "life" to the Halloween party......the large number of guests in wonderful costumes, combined with the fun of the treat stations, probably has a lot to do with that. We had a fabulous time at the Christmas party, but definitely the Halloween party gets the nod as our clear favourite between the two. The only aspect of the party that we found to be truly lacking (the sole real let-down) was the quality of the beverages and cookies. Disney could have done SO much better on that score.

Love the update! MVMCP is always a fun time (though I didn't make it to a party last year)

Oh no! You will have to make that a must-do this season, then! ::yes::

Getting caught up now! So sorry to hear that so many fell ill during the trip - such a shame but it's great that you and Steve were still able to enjoy new experiences together. Portofino looks lovely! I didn't see it when I was there but my boyfriend stayed there as a teen and thinks it's the nicest hotel option (with Hard Rock being his favorite for proximity and fun-factor (whatever that means!)). It's been a good 7 years since he's been though and after seeing my pictures from last summer, he's looking forward to checking out RPR whenever we venture back. He has a few Tampa-based cousins who may soon get engaged so I'm thinking we may be down there sooner than either of us ever anticipated! He hasn't seen Diagon Alley and we're both excited to check out Volcano Bay.

I must say, even though I'm probably in the minority here in that I'm not Orlando-addicted, keeping up with Orlando trip reports is a ton of fun! So while I'd rather spend my vacation time visiting places I've never been to before, it's so great reading from people who absolutely adore Orlando.

We are super excited to visit Volcano Bay this fall: its one of the things we're looking forward to the most. I hope it lives up to expectations! The more pictures we see, the more awesome it looks. And with a little luck, by mid October the summer crowds will be well passed and all the kinks of the new park will be just a thing of the past.

The team won top studio and GC finished first overall in 5 categories.

Wow!!! That's incredible!! A big congratulations to her!

Thursday, December 22nd (continued) :santa:

So…..we left off the last entry with us standing and waiting for Holiday Wishes to begin. Even with the sold-out crowd, our late arrival to the hub, and the popularity of the fireworks show itself, we somehow secured that perfect viewing spot and shockingly didn’t feel as if we were mushed in between thousands of bodies. There was a comfortable distance between each family grouping, and the excited cacophony of voices of the crowd that preceded the show vanished into a hush of awe as the first bursts lit up the night sky.

15741149_10155322655276416_4741679471467639500_n.jpg

A full-on view of the castle really is the best way to experience the Magic Kingdom fireworks ::yes::. I don’t think we ever really realized how much of a focal point that castle actually was for the show, and how the direct view of the front enhanced the overall experience. As the colours changed and the music played, we were both completely captivated with the sights and sounds of Wishes :goodvibes.

15780648_10155322655266416_7548613768311212361_n.jpg

I’m always a bit taken aback at the emotions that are stirred up by the fireworks presentations at the Magic Kingdom. It’s like you not only see them with your eyes, but feel them with your heart. This is Disney Magic at its very best.

15740733_10155322656406416_9011002410224062704_n.jpg

I could have stood in that space and watched the sky all night long. Absolutely a highlight of the night.

15747353_10155322655971416_5947193247842112617_n.jpg

15727342_10155322656266416_9147217537379908514_n.jpg

After Wishes concluded, we decided to head over to the Plaza ice cream parlour for a sweet treat. We didn’t feel badly about splurging a little since we hadn’t bothered to eat hardly any of the cookies and beverages that were offered complimentary to party guests.

15726432_10155322656826416_5198399532235939368_n.jpg

Steve was more thirsty than hungry, so he opted for some sort of a float (which, due to a massive crowd surge that entered the small parlour :crowded:.....and the inconsiderate behavior of a scant few :rolleyes2……we didn’t managed to capture a photo of) but I opted for pure ice cream. After watching the staff prepare a variety of different standard sized cones and sundaes for the guests in line ahead of us, I knew I wasn’t going to be able to eat that much at the late hour. So, I opted for a “kiddie cone”, which would have been large enough for ANY adult I know. And, I’ll admit…….they had me at the chocolate Mickey ears :earboy2:.

15672895_10155322655671416_3552188077447953462_n.jpg

The cookies and cream ice cream was divine :worship:. Steve was equally enamored with his float as well. We squeezed our way through the crush of Plaza patrons and made our way back outside. With the party hours slipping quickly away, we opted to head to Fantasyland to meet a few of the characters before the clock struck midnight :hourglass.

Our first stop was to say hello to Santa Goofy.

15672763_10155322699236416_6165097325883104624_n.jpg

We were happy to find that his line was quite manageable: we had opted to skip most of the other character meet-and-greets that we encountered earlier in the evening as the lines were unbelievably long. Photopass photographers were there to capture the memories, and the CM’s with Goofy were great at keeping things moving along while not compromising the quality of the experience. I have to say, there are few things in life more special than a hug from a beloved childhood character :hug:.

15747466_10155322696741416_9109196606528352825_n.jpg

After Santa Goofy, we headed over to visit Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge. This line was noticeably longer but we were surrounded on both sides by very nice people, which made the wait pass much more pleasantly. The interaction was fun and it was neat to get pictures with one of the more rare characters that only makes an appearance during certain seasons and events. And hey, who can resist a high five from a duck wearing a top hat? :p

15697961_10155322713501416_7923371789839261614_n.jpg

As the remaining time dwindled to mere minutes, we just took things as they came. Steve stopped for one last treat at Gaston’s Tavern (he rationalized that his Plaza snack was more of a ‘drink’ than ‘food’ :rolleyes:):

15697503_10155322819696416_5253210843155959706_n.jpg

….and we took in a few last rides, one of which was the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: for the first time in any of our visits to the Magic Kingdom, this ride (which for some reason ALWAYS seems to have a long line) was a walk-on :thumbsup2.

15697219_10155322823841416_4785191047690275096_n.jpg

By the time we meandered back to Main Street, it was well after midnight. A gentle snowfall was backdropped by some gentle Christmas music, and it was the epitome of holiday cheer.

15727028_10155322819746416_2122888883585006384_n.jpg

The massive Christmas tree sparkled in the night sky, a perfect festive centerpiece in Town Square.

15727170_10155322819931416_6230099401345452410_n.jpg

We stopped for one final Photopass picture in front of the tree: there had been a massive line here when we arrived, but with the mass exodus from the park currently underway, at this late hour, we only had to wait behind one other family.

15672928_10155322715841416_3594662586217396029_n.jpg

What a fun, festive, fabulous night it had been :goodvibes.

15781350_10155322823836416_3242295276032669061_n.jpg

We took a very empty ferry back to the Ticket and Transportation Center, hopped aboard a waiting tram to the Villains lot, and enjoyed a very uneventful drive back to the Grande Vista. I threw my hot-chocolate stained shirt into the laundry, and then we wearily sunk into bed. There are very few days that either one of us are voluntarily awake in the wee hours of the morning, and we were starting to feel those effects in a BIG way :faint:.

The following day was expertly designed to give us a break from the parks…..but definitely not a break from the fun. The festive events would continue the next morning at Gaylord Palms, where we would take in their world-famous ICE! Exhibit. It would be the “coolest” attraction of the season, quite literally!

15698214_10155328590366416_5111696030728394297_n.jpg

Hey Gina, thanks for making the effort to post while you are experiencing so many new things in your life right now. Sometimes its easy to think fondly and miss the familiar when so many changes are happening all at once. Remember, come here to find your cheering section! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Use us to post about fond memories, keep giving us your gorgeous pictures, and before you know it you will be back at your happy place in Florida. :thumbsup2 Have a good rest of the week!
Bev

Aw, you are so sweet. I have been in a real funk the last few days, definitely missing home and the familiarity of our old life. Kind words like yours do so much to brighten my outlook :goodvibes. I think I will feel better once the next few weeks are behind me, and I am finally able to settle in to a new, predictable pattern. I think I have sufficiently depleted my tolerance for adventure for a while!!

Wait! Are you still doing Christmas? I'm so confused...

We had a great trip to Key West and other South Florida sites! I've now started looking at possible Universal weekend dates this Fall, including a possible DISmeet 13-15 October. Unfortunately that's one of the higher priced weekends, but their resort prices often change over time.

I'll keep reading your awesome Christmas report, and keep you informed on our Fall dates.

Last edited:
For my non Canadian peeps the above pic is of our Parliament buildings. Taken from the back side across the river which divides two provinces. The pointy part on the left is the most gorgeous library and the pointy part on the right is a clock tower.
We were watching Melissa Etheridge at Bluesfest last night (she is still in incredible form - amazing show). The event is at Lebreton Flats; a giant open area beside the center core of the city that used to be the site of Ottawa's lumber and paper mill past. The stage has a scenic view of the downtown skyline, and Melissa commented on it, including the view of our amazing "castle". :) Never thought of it that way, but I guess Parliament's Gothic form is very castle like.

Last edited:
The Christmas-y characters are so cute! Looks like you guys had a fun night. I think you said you were part of a Photopass share - how did you find a share to join? I'm doing a short trip in the fall - Universal's HHN + 1 day at AK (to see Pandora) and MNNSHP. It doesn't make financial sense to get Memory Maker for 1 park day plus the party but now I'm wondering if I should try to get in on a share...

Wait! Are you still doing Christmas? I'm so confused...

We had a great trip to Key West and other South Florida sites! I've now started looking at possible Universal weekend dates this Fall, including a possible DISmeet 13-15 October. Unfortunately that's one of the higher priced weekends, but their resort prices often change over time.

I'll keep reading your awesome Christmas report, and keep you informed on our Fall dates.

Nope, no Christmas in Orlando for us this year. We will likely go home for at least a few days of our Christmas breaks, and if we have any extra days at our disposal, we'll probably venture a little less far afield: maybe a short getaway Chicago or Sandusky. Our only other dates for this year are October 14th to 21st......and I say "only" with a wink. How fortunate we have been to still work in two trips during this crazy, transitional year.

If that weekend in the autumn ends up panning out for you, the 14th might be perfect for us all to meet up. That's our arrival day, and we have absolutely nothing planned for that evening except relaxing by the pool after dinner at (hopefully) NBC Sports Grill. You would be more than welcome to join us for dinner and then a swim afterward.....or one or the other. The 15th we have our MNSSHP but the morning is wide open.

The Christmas-y characters are so cute! Looks like you guys had a fun night. I think you said you were part of a Photopass share - how did you find a share to join? I'm doing a short trip in the fall - Universal's HHN + 1 day at AK (to see Pandora) and MNNSHP. It doesn't make financial sense to get Memory Maker for 1 park day plus the party but now I'm wondering if I should try to get in on a share...

The last two shares (October and December 2016) I found on Easy WDW. They have a dedicated photography forum where there are share groups for virtually every month looking for other participants. While I didn't have any luck via that forum so far this year in finding a share for October, another Diser who posts here on this thread reached out to me via PM and offered me a spot in her group. I think share threads were outlawed here on the Disboards some years ago, so I'd definitely start with the Easy WDW forums and go from there. The sooner you post, the better you'll be, as groups tend to form quickly once someone steps up to lead. What are you specific dates?

We didn't get in on a share for our trip in the spring, and I really missed not having Photopass on our Epcot day. In your shoes, I'd absolutely be looking for a group to join as well.

I love Santa Goofy. We met him at Animal Kingdom with Pluto in reindeer ears instead of at the party. I got my photo with just Goofy and used that same boarder you have on yours for my christmas card this past xmas :) Glad you guys enjoyed the party.

Which comp was it?
Thunderstruck and for sure I will be posting something harsh on their FB page.
Some of the highlights.....
They charged us for admission...$25/person.
They charged us for plaques/trophies.
There were studios that didn't show up after paying their fees and uploading music....so they say.
They deleted the schedule from the website so that we would have to buy their app for $10. They did this the night before the finals.
The show off show was moved 3 times and finally we pulled out because it was going to be on an asphalt roof top where no one could see it.
Only 1 master class.
There is much more but the final shot for tonight was that they intentionally brought in a girl(after the comp had started) to do a bunch of solos and rigged the scores.

The fireworks above the castle are amazing. The ice cream parlour is a favourite of ours too and we still love meeting the characters which are extra special when in Christmas costume. MK is great late at night when crowds are thinning and you can enjoy that walk down Main Street :thumbsup2

The last two shares (October and December 2016) I found on Easy WDW. They have a dedicated photography forum where there are share groups for virtually every month looking for other participants. While I didn't have any luck via that forum so far this year in finding a share for October, another Diser who posts here on this thread reached out to me via PM and offered me a spot in her group. I think share threads were outlawed here on the Disboards some years ago, so I'd definitely start with the Easy WDW forums and go from there. The sooner you post, the better you'll be, as groups tend to form quickly once someone steps up to lead. What are you specific dates?

We didn't get in on a share for our trip in the spring, and I really missed not having Photopass on our Epcot day. In your shoes, I'd absolutely be looking for a group to join as well.

Thanks so much Gina! I'm going at the end of September (AK on Sept 20th, MNSSHP on Sept 22nd). I'll definitely head over to the Easy WDW boards and check out the threads on the shares!

I need to do ICE at Gaylord Palms! Hopefully I can go this year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter