Just back-5 things I loved-5 things I'd change...

Cool thread. We're going in June, and I have a couple of questions about the subjects mentioned, so please indulge my newbieness here...

What the heck is a shutter? I'm a guy, so asking stupid questions and not paying attention the first time is in my genes, so please forgive me if I should know that.

What's the problem with making reservations at Palo? If we don't make reservations immediately after boarding, is there a chance we would actually be unable to dine there throughout the three-day cruise? My 18 year old DD has "demanded" that we attend this, but we sure don't want to have to break out in a dead run as soon as we board the ship to make reservations. Surely there must be a better way.

Thanks!

I love the idea of pre-registration for the kid's club and having the pager in your room on check-in. I also think they should allow you to make all your reservations before boarding. That would make the boarding time MUCH more relaxing without the reservation scramble.

Fins2theright -
Shutters is the shop where you can purchase all of the pictures that they take of you on the cruise. Without a package it's $10 for a 6x8 and $20 for 8X10 (they decide the size ahead of time)

The Palo ressie wasn't too bad. We got to Wavebands about 30 mins before the scheduled time and they gave out numbers. They started 15 mins before they said they would and took you in order of the numbers. We were 11 and had no problem. Out of there in 20 mins. The line was growing as I left, though. I would go check the crowd before the time and just see what's going on. Once it's done you are free.

Georgianne

Cool thread!

We just got back from 3/9 Wonder. Here are ours:

Favs...

1. The Oceaneer's Club and Lab-awesome!
2. Castaway Cay-Beautiful
3. The British Boogie Boys-Duelng Piano players were soooo cool
4. The Disney Dream Show (can't remember the exacxt name). It is a must-see.
5. Food. I gained 10 pounds, but every time I step on the treadmill, I still feel like it was worth it!

Things I would change...

1. I love the idea about pre-registering for Oceaneer's-although it was a totallly painless experience, that would be one less thing to do those first few hours.
2. Ionithermie. I thought I'd try something different. Uncharacteristic medical quackery for Disney.
3. The medical center would be open more. Our 3 yo DD got sick, and we had to wait overnight to find a thermometer.
4. There is probably no way to change this, but every time someone flushed the toilets, I was pretty certain they were sucked down! (Those who have been on a Disney Cruise know what I am talking about!) Also, occasionally, the corridors would smell of sewage for a brief time.
5. The chair issue on Castaway Cay. As much as I hate to say it, I wish they would charge rent! That might prevent chair-hogs from saving 5 chairs, when they never used more than 2 at a time!! We had to sit on the ground, while 75 percent of the chairs were unoccupied because of the whole chair-glutton thing.

6. We went as a family of 4. We got the late seating, which wasn't so bad, but we sat with a family who were rude and abusive with the staff, and hostile in general. They also advertised that they never tip anyone loudly, and I did not want to be associated with their crudity. I was there to spend time with my family. I consider myself very social, but I would prefer our own table. It was to my chagrin to discover when we went to Parrot Cay for the breakfast Buffet the first morning, that they still seat you with others! I felt as though I never got a moment with my own family alone. I'm done complaining now.

THE CRUISE WAS AWESOME!!!!

I loved:

1. The cassata at Palo. Like home-made spumoni ice cream (I know, I know every one else loves the souffle, but you are missing something wonderful if you do not try it).

2. Brunch at Palo. Crab and butter! Yum.

3. Surial Bath. No comment.

4. How much there is to do.

5. Dressing up for dinner and being served.

5.5 Bicycling at CC. (We had great weather, sorry d'Isigny, we'll see about January, always did seem iffy to have their private island so far north).

5.6 Conch Cooler at Head's Up Bar at Pelican Point at CC.

5.7 CC

5.8 CC

5.9 CC, etc, etc.

I would change:

1. The back tables, especially in Animator's. Next to a huge service area and stacks of black high chairs. These tables are like sitting in a hole. Raise the back of the restaurants a bit, or lower the service station height. Those of us relegated to the back can't see a thing, and it is a long way to the restrooms.

2. The "ressie rush". (Apologies to Senor F et al.) How about letting concierge have first crack, say 60 days out, then letting the rest of us pleebs choose ahead at 30 days. DCL must let us know our dining rotation in advance to do this (does this count as two?).

3. Accessibility problems, and DCL's seemingly total lack of information thereof.

4. Character breakfast rush. Simple, increase the time alloted for each seating by at LEAST half an hour.

5. Laundry is woefully inadequate. Dryers too slow, too hot in the room, way too small.

Carla

Hi We were also on the Feb. 27 Wonder Cruise & can't wait to go again. Castaway Cay is totally awesome. The only problem we had there was that is no beach accessibility for someone in a power wheelchair who cannot transfer to one of the beach wheelchairs. They could make a ramp at least to the top part of the beach so our friend could sit with us. Snorkeling was great. There was a total of 8 of us on this cruise 5 adults, 3 kids. We had a Cat. 6 Verandah room & the aft section (3 rooms total, 1 handicapped) The view of the lighthouse coming into Nassau in the AM was awesome. Loved having a verandah! I also agree that soda should be included & Shutters prices are outrageous. We'll be trying a 4 Day Cruise next. Can't wait!:cool:

I like so much.....However I could fine tune it alittle

1. I would like to know our dinner rotation ahead of time..at least one week before or something like that. Just to help with packing and Palo decisions.

2. Tables for two would be VERY nice.

3. I would like to be able to order room service from the main dining rooms for supper.

4. The shop idea at Port Canaveral sounds good.

5. Two week cruises at a one week price!:) (Ok I know wishful thinking)

Cathie, I PMd you about accessibility. How did the wheelchair go in Nassau, what did you do?

Carla

Originally posted by abitjaded
2. The "ressie rush". (Apologies to Senor F et al.) How about letting concierge have first crack, say 60 days out, then letting the rest of us plebs choose ahead at 30 days.

That would work for me... I would also have loved to be able to book spa treatments before getting onboard, that and the wine tasing were the only things I still ha to do, but I would have liked to have had to do nothing :)

It would still give the concierge pax first crack, but solve part of the scramble once onboard.

Anne

I hope Disney reads these boards, some great ideas! We take our first 3 night cruise on 10/9 and would like the chance to book some things ahead of time.

Originally posted by dkis4nu
5 things we'd like to see changed:
1)put a DCL shop in the terminal, so we can shop before we enter-

dk

I have to admit, I am totally surprised. Disney actually missed a selling opportunity?:eek:

It would be nice to have a shop there -- both for before the cruise and after. It's been a few years since my last cruise -- I don't remember if there was any room for a shop.

Some of the reason that there isn't a shop may have to do with tax regulations. I know that at the Disney Store I work at, we'll take back returns from any Disney locale -- except the cruise line.

I guess I'll just have to stock up on board!!! Anyone else on the Mother's Day Wonder cruise? (May 11)

I'd like them to add a CM to the Goofy pool area to enforce the "no jumping" rule. The pool is much too small to have kids jumping in all the time. I had to really watch my kids to keep them from being hurt. Other parents were not as diligent about making sure their children followed the rules and I think a CM would have been more effective.

I really don't think a shop in the terminal would work. First, they would need to stock inventory even though they would be open for a few hours 3 days a week. Secondly, most people would probably not spend much money since they will want to save it until they on board and see what there is.

The thing I would change is to make the clubs non-smoking until 11:00PM. That way I could enjoy them for awhile (I have asthma).
Also, I would like more trams to Serenity Beach, the wait was very long last year.

I loved the "When You Wish Upon a Star" horn. It brought tears to my eyes each time.

My son's likes:
1-becoming a superstar upon arrival when your name is called and having the buffet waiting
2-love connection gameshow in teen room was really fun
3-learning cool tricks from our waiter Gede
4the architecture and how the rooms were incorporated on the main decks
5-exploring the ship at night and seeing the water view from the decks
the changes:
1-a way to stop cheaters from winning at the trivia shows:mad:
2-expensive shutter pictures
3- internet prices
4-long waits on line for pics to be taken
5-the fact that the cruise was over SO QUICKLY!:(

My daughter's likes:
1-walk the plank gameshow
2-sailaway party
3-food available all the time and choice of adult or kids menu
4-towel animals
5-dolphin encounter at Sanctuary Bay
the changes:
1-a room for kids 13-16 then another 17 and above or grammer school, hs, college division
2-more family gameshows at night
3-more showtimes for first run movies
4- MATURE TEENS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND HIGH TEA instead of the baby Wendy one
5-Stop people from changing seats to the right in order to become a contestant on Who Wants To Be a Mouseketeer

Originally posted by disneylover5
I loved the "When You Wish Upon a Star" horn. It brought tears to my eyes each time.

It brought tears to my eyes too--I was standing RIGHT NEXT TO IT when it went off--and it's PAINFULLY LOUD!!!!!!!!!

:)

Anne

I would like if they included soft drinks. Charge us a little more to cruise and let us have free soft drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter