Just Back and important info

TigerLilly's Mom

<font color=FF99FF>Victim of a drive-by tagging!
Just wanted to give a summary of our trip. I wanted to let people know some things that were quite a surprize to me, so they could benefit and plan differently.

San Diego - We stayed at Loews Coronado Resort and loved it. Since I am a Loews platinum member, we had a suite for our three nights for $269. We were directly on the water, what a fabulous view. I was so worried after reading people complain about how far Coronado was from everything in San Diego. NOT TRUE!! It never took us more than 10 - 15 minutes to get to Downtown San Diego. Also, the "island" of Coronado is absolutely beautiful, it is quaint and charming and my son and I fell in love with it. We loved the drive each and everytime we made it. The zoo was fun and what I expected. Miguel's in Coronado had excellent mexican food and we ate there twice.

Disneyland - The Grand Californian was perfect for us. They were always helpful and accomadating. I requested bunkbeds two months before our trip and we checked in at 9:00am to find a room with no bunkbeds. Oh well, not a big deal, I don't let things like that bother me on vacation. We were in room 5309 which was a courtyard view. We had a view of the monorail and a PERFECT view of the Disneyland Fireworks - we could see the top of the Matterhorn, so if you have this view, don't miss watching the fireworks at night. We viewed the fireworks from the Fantasmic Balcony seats, in front of the castle, and from our balcony and I got my best picture from our balcony.

We ate at The Rainforest Cafe, The Blue Bayou (by the water), Tortilla Joe's, Ariel's Grotto, Storyteller's Cafe (for breakfast and dinner). These restaurants were all fine, nothing spectacular. Ariel's Grotto was horribly disorganized.We did the Fantasmic balcony seating and it was worth it. The desserts were nice and the view can't be beat.

Now for the bad parts. My family and I travel quite a bit and we really did have fun on this vacation. One thing we all agree on though, is we will never return to Disneyland again. I wish I could have seen Walt's park for what it was and what a lot of fans must see, but it was impossible. Disneyland needs to learn some things from Disney World. It has no idea how to handle crowds the crowds the 50th anniversary will bring. My biggest gripe is the people at the parks which I will get to soon.

The most shocking thing that happened on this trip was Thursday morning. It was an early entry day and I dragged my kids out of bed to be at the gates at 20 minutes before 7:00 (early entry time since the parks opened at 8:00 that day). When we got to the security tents we were told that early entry had been CANCELED. Yes, I said CANCELED. My mouth must have hit the floor. The explanation was that grad night got over later and the workers were still cleaning. I was absolutely astonished. We stood in line hoping that it was just some cruel joke, but we were not let in. Actually we thought about eating breakfast somewhere, but nothing in Downtown Disney opened until 8:00 either. One particularly classy guy started screaming at the poor cast members to open the gates, he was coming in for early entry, they couldn't just cancel early entry. While I understood his anger, his behavior was shocking.

After talking to some cast members, I believe that Disneyland NEVER has early entry after a grad night even if it is a scheduled day. They knew that there would be no early entry that morning and were dishonest about it. I will never get over that fact. I am home now and still can't fathom this, it is absolutely shocking.

Now on to my biggest gripe. We travel a lot and I have never seen the level of rudeness we saw at Disneyland. My family was cut in every kind of line you can imagine. Ride lines, bathroom lines, show lines, entry lines, food lines, character lines. I was so embaressed for my children to witness this kind of behavior. My daughter almost got trampled my a crowd trying to see Mickey. Grown men were pushing her aside to get an autograph. After standing for over an hour to see the fireworks in a not really great place, a man shoved in front of my ten year old son to put his son there!!! A women pushed her little girl in front of my little girl in a long line to see Cinderella. Her husband kept telling her - look at all these people, they have been standing in line, you can't just go up. She ignored her husband and of course Cinderella had to leave right before my daughter's turn.

I was so ashamed of the way people were behaving and wish that my children never had to witness all the things they did. I could go on and on with all the rude and unclassy people we witnessed, but what is the use? I will say we have been to Disney World and Universal Orland many, many times and have never witnessed anything like California.

We had lots of fun on our own and did meet some very nice people. My daughter made friends with another little girl in line and by the time it was time to go in the park, they were hugging like best friends. Hello to Jasmine's family from Texas if you are reading :wave2: . I Also met some extremely nice women while waiting for our kids playing at the California Adventure play area. I forget what it is called but don't miss it with kids, mine loved it! They can rock climb and explore while you sit and rest!

The magic we found on our vacation, was magic we made ourselves, the best kind of course, but it would have been nice to have a little extra magic. Sadly Walt's park brought none. He would be mortified to see the kind of behavior going on in the park. I feel like my kids lost a little bit of childhood, a little bit of the belief that people are good and giving. But they have the ability to gain it back because of their environment. My heart breaks for the children of the rude parents I met, who will only learn to look out for number one.

We spent 3 1/2 days in the parks and in all that time we only met one woman who was rude. (We were 2/3 the line for Peter Pan and my little one had to potty. Everyone else understood and let us back in to catch up with my older son who stayed in line. She blocked the way, so my older son had to come back through the line about 10 people to meet us. She was with a group of older people that didn't have any kids along...and instead of being upset with her, I felt sorry for her because either she never had children of her own or she's forgotten what it's like to have a little one.)

We didn't wait in many character lines...just Buzz...so I don't have anything to compare with there. I didn't see anyone doing what you described at parades and fireworks. But, I made sure we were right at the rope, and the CMs wouldn't allow anyone to stop in front of us.

The good thing for you is, WDW is always there and open. And, if you want some different Disney experiences you can always try Tokyo or Hong Kong. Hope you have much better luck on your next Disney vacation.

That must have been horrible! :sad2:
I actually had to exact OPPOSITE experience. I've been to Disneyworld countless times, and I was a cast member there for a while as well. I moved to California a few years ago, and find Disneyland guests to be way more tolerable than Disneyworld. It's all a matter of timing I guess. The 50th Anniversary crowds have been so large- I think that tends to wear people down and brings out some unfortunate traits.

I too just today had the exact opposite experience! I was just gonna post about how great everyone was today-- so considerate and helping out when our double stroller got stuck, helping load it on and off the tram, returning my lost sunglasses, smiling at each other-- and I'm not even talking about CMs! It seemed that everyone was in an especially wonderful mood-- plenty of magic today at DL. Sorry you had a bad experience.

I just got back today and I have to agree with Tiger Lily's mom. I think that the crowds are out of control for the 50th. My kids were also pushed out of the way, run over stroller tires, bumped into (hard) by people scurrying by - this is while we were walking along, keeping to the right, minding our own business - and not stopping in the middle of traffic like many others were. My daughter was actually limping the last day due to one particularly bad run in with a lady who ran right over her foot with a stroller and didn't even look back to see what she had hit! And yes we all did wear tennis shoes thank goodness. The crowd on Thursday night after the fireworks actually had me afraid for our safety. We were crammed shoulder to shoulder like sardines inching our way out. I was praying that no trampling or stampede in any way would happen. And yes after waiting 45 minutes for a parade - a grown man did plant himself in front of my children. Everyone pushed and crowded in so their initial good view of the Electrical Parade was gone. I decided that I would not attempt to go again during high season - my mistake! Now we did meet a nice couple that invited my kids to stand in front of them for the DL parade so that they could see better. All of the Cast Members that we encountered were great. I still love DL we will just go back during off season next time.

I am so sorry you had a bad experience! We had a really bad time the last time we went during a crowded time (the week after Memorial Day in 98). It was busy and people were rude, cut in lines, etc. After spending 4 days there, I was NEVER going to return to Disneyland. I ended up going back a few years later, this time in the off-season (September) and it was so much fun! I will never go back during a peak time again. I understand your frustration, but just want to say "never say never!"

I have to ditto on the rude people :guilty: It really was unbelievable how awful some parents were with pushing their kids up the front and shoving their books in the characters face. One man did the same thing to us TigerLily, we had been waiting to see JoJo and this man just let his boy play around with JoJo, thinking he was so cute, oblivious to the others who were trying to have their own time with him. When it got to be our time I asked if he would please move his boy so I could get a picture without him in it :sad2: He made a comment like, "Whoa" and said some other stuff like I was crazy for caring that his son was in the way. It is VERY frustrating. There was another man who was taking his wife's picture with Mickey who happend to be outside the Mad Hatters and he stood there with his camera to his face and starts counting VERY SLOWLY 1-2-3 I finally said, "TAKE THE PICTURE". He was acting as if he and his wife were the only ones in the entire park -errr! So many times I wondered what the characters were thinking inside? They have to have some MAJOR patience with a lot of those people.

We also had kids come and sit in front of my kids who had been waiting for the parade. Their parents stayed back (never did see them?) and the came and sat down right in front of us. I did ask them to move. Can you tell I don't put up with pushing rude people ;) Then there was the lady who sat right up front in story time with the princess. She thought I was nuts when I asked if she could let the kids sit there. Once she saw that she was the only adult sitting on the floor she moved back and tried to explain to me that she had back problems.

Bottom line is is that I don't let them get away with it. I speak up and let them know that we had been standing there waiting, and that the line ends 'there'! It's one thing if there's someone up ahead waiting in your party, but it's another when they're just being pushy and rude.

Oh, on our last day at DL we were shopping during the parade. There was one lady with her grandson in a stroller that absolutely refused to move for the CM. She was in a safety passing zone and they needed it open. That lady argued and argued with them and missed most of the parade because she was arguing with them so much. 3 different CM tried to get her to move out of the area and she flat out refused! With the 4th CM he told her she would have to leave the parks and then she did get out of the way but by that time the parade was just about over. LOL! It was entertaining to watch because man, she was stubborn!

We did meet a lot of fun people too! I was always really impressed to see the parents leave an attraction when their kids were crying as to not interrupt the others/show. This happend several times and was much appreciated. We too had to leave 'A Bug's World' due to both our kids crying in it.

I'm curious how WDW is different in this aspect? Do they have a better way to meet the characters? Formed lines? CM's around watching that others don't get pushed out of the way?

TigerLily's Mom - There are RUDE people everywhere. California...Florida...it doesn't matter. I like what Mom2my2daughters had to say about people being rude and standing up for yourself. If someone cuts in front of you say something to them, standing up for yourself will teach your children to stand up for themselves. You came to Disneyland during what is already a VERY busy time of year and the 50th Birthday celebration is just adding on to the crowds.
With crowds sometimes you get rude people... even in "the happiest place on earth".

A funny story of rude people in WDW. We went to Mickey's Philarmagic and it was crowded so you had to move all the way over to fill in all the seats. In back of us was a woman who plopped down in the middle of the row. Her husband said she had to move all the way down and she said very loudly "I'm not moving" so everyone had to walk over her. Then all during the show she was telling her kids - loudly - "keep your glasses on, keep your glasses on". Then when Flounder came on the scream she yelled "Oh look it's Nemo!" I thought my DS was going to die laughing.

The crowd on Thursday night after the fireworks actually had me afraid for our safety. We were crammed shoulder to shoulder like sardines inching our way out. I was praying that no trampling or stampede in any way would happen.

I have to say we witnessed many of the same things you and others have reported on our trip to DL a couple of years ago.

But here's something I'll never understand. Why on earth do people fight each other to LEAVE Disneyland??? If you just sit tight for 10 minutes, the crowd thins out. Give it 20 minutes and you practically have the park to yourself. There's nothing better than being one of the last few to leave....

At any rate, we know it will be packed with people on our trip next week. We've arranged our trip as best we can by getting preferred seating vouchers and reserved seating when possible.

When we encounter rude, obnoxious people we'll overlook it as best we can. Perhaps we won't get the perfect view of the fireworks because some jerk steps in front of us, but we'll survive and we'll have a much better time because we don't sweat the small stuff. We'll just count our lucky stars that we are fortunate enough to be able to go at all.

Peachgirl,

We'll be there next week too. I promise to be polite and smile if you'll do the same. Maybe we can start a new trend! Besides, I'll be on vacation. What in the world could be better than that?! :sunny:

Where are you staying? We'll be at the Sheraton Anaheim. I asked here if anyone had an opinion about the hotel but I didn't get any response. So it's either not a place anyone stays or it's too horrible to write about!

Joan

Mom2my2daughters said:
I'm curious how WDW is different in this aspect? Do they have a better way to meet the characters? Formed lines? CM's around watching that others don't get pushed out of the way?
Every time I have been to WDW that is exactly what they do. There are lines to see every character. There are CM's for each character making sure the line goes smoothly, and if there are several characters together (like Aladdin, Jasmine, Genie), you wait in one line and then pass through to each one in a row. When it is almost time for a break, they will say "They will be going on a break in ___ minutes so if you are in line past this point you may not get a turn. They will be back at ____". I am totally surprised that DL does not do it that way. I don't remember what it was like when we were there five years ago, I am getting all my Disney trips confused in my old age. :crazy:
I am just glad that now that my youngest is 13, we probably won't be waiting to see characters on this trip. But you never know, sometimes they surprise you and become a kid again when they get there! :earboy2:

Tigerlily-I'm sorry it was not as magical as you would have wished for at DL! That really is too bad!

What I have found is that as the # of people increase in the park (either DL or WDW) there is a direct decrease in the behavior of the ADULTS in the crowd. I can tell tales of rudeness at both parks and even on board the DCL ship, but it always seemed to be when the crowds increased. As a previous poster noted, however, I always speak up to rude behavior (whether adult or children) and state what their other options would be (ie, one man w/child on shoulders tried to shove his way infront of my 4 yo at the fireworks, I told him "no, you could have came an hour earlier like my child if you wanted to be right here...please go find some other spot BEHIND us" and he left). I always chalk it up to the school teacher in me!

Hi Everyone,

Glad to others experiences, rude or not. I'm not saying there are no rude people elsewhere, but after much traveling to many parts of the US and Caribbean, I have never experienced as many rude, self-centered people as I did in Disneyland.

As for Disney World, Character greetings are ALWAYS organized and characters are ALWAYS with a handler. I think it is just plain unsafe for the characters to be without one. If someone cuts in Disney World, the characters or the handler will let them know they are not next. And why don't people understand in Disneyland that at character meals, the characters will come to your table? I witnessed so many families coming up when the characters were at others tables to get pictures of their own!

As for speaking up to people, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. When the man stepped in front of my son before the fireworks, I loudly asked my son what was the matter - couldn't he see? The man stepped backed immediately and apologized, because he knew he did something wrong. As for line cutters, I told my kids to watch how much faster they got on ride than us. In all cases in was less than 30 seconds faster. To me, that is not a reason to say anything. My kids are wonderful at sticking up for themselves and I smile everytime they do and some rude adult looks at them in shock.

To me, Disneyland has only a few things that are better/different than Disney World and Disney World is only a three hour plane trip for us. I'm glad that there are two parks for people to enjoy. I know people find the streets of Disneyland "quaint", I just find them crowded. I was worried several times about being trampled by crowds pushing to get in or out. That is never a concern in Florida.

Does anyone want to comment on the fact that Disneyland canceled early entry? I am still incredulous over this fact and can't believe no one has mentioned it. They know people spend the extra money to get a three day park hopper to get early entry. I believe they were dishonest about it and that is inexcusable.

it is unexcusable! I think that if they don't want EE on a day after grad nites, they should revise the EE schedule as soon as the grad nite dates are set. Then vacationers that want to use EE can plan accordingly. I would have been LIVID to get up so early only to be told AT THE GATE that it had been cancelled. Especially since you were at a Disney resort. You would think that the Disney resorts, at least, would notify their guests of the cancellation!
And as for the rudeness, we went the 1st week of March, and the only crowded day was our last day. It was a Friday, and the only day thet the park was open late, and having 2 showings of Fantasmic!. We could tell a HUGE difference in the behaviour of the other visitors. People were very rude, so I guess on busier days, people get frustrated and lose their own "magic". I hope you will give DLR another try someday. I would go in early- mid October, to see the HM overlay. It is amazing, and a very slow time to visit. I am sure you will enjoy the parks alot more at that time of year! :wizard:

Wishful Tinking said:
Peachgirl,

We'll be there next week too. I promise to be polite and smile if you'll do the same. Maybe we can start a new trend! Besides, I'll be on vacation. What in the world could be better than that?! :sunny:

Where are you staying? We'll be at the Sheraton Anaheim. I asked here if anyone had an opinion about the hotel but I didn't get any response. So it's either not a place anyone stays or it's too horrible to write about!

Joan

We're staying at the Grand Californian. We stayed there on our last trip and fell in love with it!

We're trying the RideMax program for the first time. It's been interesting to see what a difference it can make when you try different times, rides, etc...Hopefully it's a miracle program that will work like a charm. We'll just have to wait and see!

It's a deal on being polite and smiling...Maybe it'll catch on!;)

As far as cancelling early entry...I honestly don't think it's standard policy to cancel EE after grad night. Surely if it were, someone would have complained on these boards long ago about it and this is the first I've ever heard of it.

If they did know in advance, they most certainly should have at least notified onsite guests. My guess is though, it was a last minute decision and there wasn't time to notify. If I'm not mistaken, they do have a disclaimer that all schedules are subject to change without notice.

Still, I would have been very disappointed, and probably angry as well, but sometimes things just happen. Just as a good will gesture, they should have offered some small compensation...preferred seating passes etc.

Just to let you know, I personally asked two cast members if they ever had early entry at Disneyland after grad nights and they said no. I also heard a cast member at the rope drop on main street say the same thing to another guest.

It seems like someone would have said something before, but they have not. That is why I want to get it out to others traveling (although I think grad nights are over) so they wouldn't have to go through what we did. Disneyland is being dishonest, plain and simple. Call yourself and ask them if they cancel EE after grad nights.

Think of it this way. There were probably over a thousand people that showed up that morning for EE and I am the only one that mentioned it on this message board. People were yelling, screaming, and irate - but this is the first you have heard of it. Not everyone reads the DIS boards, especially not the Disneyland ones.

I am not bad mouthing Disneyland. I am just trying to save others from going through what we did. My family and I had a great time. The Alladin show was absoulutely AMAZING. I loved POTC, the Peter Pan segment in Fantasmic, the parade, and fireworks (I loved seeing the "real life" Tinkerbelle!!). The Grand was a great hotel. But I think it is dishonest and wrong of them to cancel EE, and I shudder to think of all the money they made on those who bought three day hoppers instead of two to go to that EE day. Walt would not approve - disclaimer or not.

Just to let you know, I personally asked two cast members if they ever had early entry at Disneyland after grad nights and they said no. I also heard a cast member at the rope drop on main street say the same thing to another guest.

Then it's absolutely wrong of them not to let guests know or to not put it on the schedule. If the CM's are correct, they should have at least offered something in exchange for the loss of early entry.

TigerLilly's Mom said:

It seems like someone would have said something before, but they have not. That is why I want to get it out to others traveling (although I think grad nights are over) so they wouldn't have to go through what we did. Disneyland is being dishonest, plain and simple. Call yourself and ask them if they cancel EE after grad nights.

Think of it this way. There were probably over a thousand people that showed up that morning for EE and I am the only one that mentioned it on this message board. People were yelling, screaming, and irate - but this is the first you have heard of it. Not everyone reads the DIS boards, especially not the Disneyland ones.

I am not bad mouthing Disneyland. I am just trying to save others from going through what we did. My family and I had a great time. The Alladin show was absoulutely AMAZING. I loved POTC, the Peter Pan segment in Fantasmic, the parade, and fireworks (I loved seeing the "real life" Tinkerbelle!!). The Grand was a great hotel. But I think it is dishonest and wrong of them to cancel EE, and I shudder to think of all the money they made on those who bought three day hoppers instead of two to go to that EE day. Walt would not approve - disclaimer or not.

I was also at the Grand Californian on Wed. I had planned on going to the Tues morning EE, however, during turndown service at GC, they always leave you the "forcast sheet" On Monday night under the "Vacation Tips" section, there was a notice that Thursdays EE was cancelled and was going to be on Wed. We ended up going on Wed morning EE. Because the off site hotels weren't notified, there were maybe 300 people there. Sorry you did not see this notice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter