Just Back and important info

TigerLilly's Mom said:
Does anyone want to comment on the fact that Disneyland canceled early entry? I am still incredulous over this fact and can't believe no one has mentioned it. They know people spend the extra money to get a three day park hopper to get early entry. I believe they were dishonest about it and that is inexcusable.

The title of this post is "Just back and important info". One important point is something Disney posts and claims repeatedly. Parades, shows, and Early Entry are subject to availability and cancellation without notice." (From my experience, this is much more likely to happen at WDW, where rides are closed and parades and shows are cancelled routinely due to weather). I am not so sure that Disneyland actually cancelled early entry; it appears it was not scheduled for that particular Thursday because of a Grad Night. The important information that we should be reminded of is that we should verify with our hotel or Disneyland guest services of the availabity of EE for any particular day. (I don't think Disney promises EE on particular days; it's these unofficial sites that report which days EE is typically offered). It is particularly important to verify information on EE in June when schedules are adjusted for Grad Nights. Posters have warned that June can be a risky time to visit DL because of Grad Nights, and for that matter, more teenage groups visiting during the day as well. It also appears that this June is particularly challenging because of an abundance of new cast members, increased crowd levels, and a firework show that is getting a lot of buzz. I'm sorry this impacted your visit, and hope that others will learn from your unfortunate experience.
You know, Disneyland could probably do a better job getting their new CMs trained faster, and their communication was imperfect. But I've just got to believe that to imply they are using dishonesty to entice people to buy 3 day parkhoppers is simply unfair.

To me this is just the nature of the beast. I love Disney vacations and take them frequently but I always know that I will be aggravated, pushed, shoved, cut in front of, rained on and you name it! But OMG do I still have fun! I still find more good apples than bad ones in both patrons and CM's and just let the bad incident go as soon as it happens. What else can you do? Ever been to a mall on Christmas Eve? Ever been sitting at an airport gate when they announce the flight is cancelled, overbooked or whatever? Ever wait at your pediatician's office for two hours with a bunch of screaming kids only to be told "it's viral, can't do anything"? Its called life and it happens everywhere! I agree with a previous poster who said that Disney always states that all things are subject to change without notice. I know it seems crazy that they can do that and still pack them in but they do. Because nutheads like me keep going back for more. I also agree that rudenss comes in all forms in all places. I have had plenty of people cut in front of me and act rude at WDW and DL. I still consider it to be the Happiest Place(s) on Earth but I know there will be moments when I will for an instant think otherwise. I am sorry the OP had a bad experience, if I had a dime for every post on Disboards from a WDW regular who didn't like their Disneyland experience I could pay for a trip! It is smaller, everybody knows it but I still love it. I love WDW too. Its not a contest if you don't turn it into one. Others don't get the magic, just less people to deal with as far as I'm concerned. Maybe as the 50th winds down things will get back to normal at both parks if there is such a thing as normal. When you figure in that the travel industry is up in general, the 50th and the amount of advertising Disney is doing it isn't any wonder the parks are packed. Also EE is just a pain in the you know what in general at both parks. It causes people to cram into the park in question, poses a nightmare for scheduling ps' (I am referring to WDW on this one) and I just avoid them at all costs. I want to see some E Ride Nights return to WDW and EE die a quick death! One last thing to those of you going to Disneyland who read posts like this please don't despair! I think that with an open mind and some planning you can have a great time. I see so many comments about how Disneyland is crammed into the middle of a big city. True, but don't go expecting to feel like you aren't separated from reality while at Disneyland and DCA. Once you walk into parks, you'll feel a long way from anything related to a big city, I know I always do!

We also just returned. We we in DL for full days (from about 11am) on Sun the 19th, Friday the 24th and Sunday the 25th. We were also there the evenings of Sat the 18th and Wed the 22nd (a grad night).

First, YoHo is right, the behavior of the guests isn't all that different. We've been to both DL and WDW multiple times in the past 6 years, and really haven't found a difference.

None of us (4 adults, one 6 year old) were ever run over by a stroller, or anything similar.

The days can be crowded, but for the most part, the paths are still easy to navigate. It does get squirrely after the fireworks and Fantasmic, but they really do handle this about as well as possible.

Grad nights, however, do cause significant problems, besides those who don't get the notice about EE changes. (We were at the Paradise Pier Hotel from the 18th to the 26th and received no notices about anything being changed/cancelled. Not an issue for us, though, as we don't even think about dragging ourselves or our son out of bed at 6am.).

On the non-Grad night evenings, the park did not close with the fireworks. Yes, it was still crowded after the fireworks, but people were heading in different directions. Some out of the park, some to shop on Main Street, some to the 2nd Fantasmic showing, and some to Fantasyland or Tomorrowland for the rides. It cleared out fairly quickly.

On Grad nights, however, the park closed with the fireworks, so EVERYBODY was heading out at the same time, while CMs were scurrying about trying to get things ready for the Grad Night. On top of that, the stores on Main Street did not remain open after closing, like they normally do.

Of course, Disney does not kick people out of the parks, so if you don't like being part of the herd of cattle, all one has to do is find a bench, a side path, a doorway, whatever, and wait it out.

I spoke to manager-type CM briefly about the situation, and she said we were the lucky ones since we got to leave before grad night started... which was a good point.

Other than those issues, however, crowds were never really a true problem, and certainly I never saw any reason to fear for anyone's safety.

Most people want to have a good time and don't want to hurt anybody else, but there is always that small percentage that try their best to ruin things for others. They're just about everywhere though, so unless you want to shut yourself into a hole, there isn't much you can do about it.

On line cutting, I think the problem is how we define line cutting. On the attractions, we frequently saw people "cutting" through the line to join or re-join the rest of their party, as we always see at both DL and WDW. Some define this as line cutting, but most do not, and if you ask a CM about it, they will usually tell you its fine. We didn't see anyone cutting simply to cut, and certainly it didn't appear to be any more of a problem than at WDW. (Interesting that at Magic Mountain, they post signs that you cannot leave a line and rejoin it for any reason.)

All this isn't to say DLR is run perfectly, or that all of the guests are Saints and Angels. But the "Magic" is there, and no less so than at WDW.

I am curious about the Early Entry. Since it was cancelled a number of you seemed to talk with Cast Members about it. Did anyone speak with a Cast Member at City Hall? Whenever I have had an issued I shared it with City Hall-- where they do something about it and try to help you restore some happiness to your visit.

As far as the character lines go, yes-- WDW does seem to have this system under control. I have spoken to City Hall about this and so has my mother. The only time I have pushed ahead was to see Piglet when there was a crowd around him on Main Street last July. Please forgive me. I learned when he comes out, which was once a week for about 30 mintues and he is my favorite charater. I had to be avassive to see him. Many times City Hall has told me they cannot predict the crowds that well. If there aren't many people there certain characters do not need handlers and can handle themselves.

Now onto the topic of rude people. People are always rude. I work at The Mall of America and I see rude people in stores, in Camp Snoopy, and Underwater World all of the time. Unfortunately you do have to do something about it. People will cram in front of you and push. This has happened anywhere from an elevator at a department store to waiting for Wishes at WDW. I do realize that Disneyland is a smaller park but that does not make it less enjoyable. Is it wrong for me to feel like so much is missing from WDW's Magic Kingdom since half of the fantasyland attractions are not here and the classic attractions such as POTC, Jungle Cruise, and "it's a small world" are different? I would hope not. I believe you have also frequented WDW more often since it is closer so that is the park you simply prefer.

My next visit to Disneyland is for the anniversary in July. We are going expecting crowds. What else do you expect in the middle of the summer? It is the same for WDW. We usually go in the off-season to avoid the crowds but this trip is for the anniversary over simply visiting the park-- if that makes sense to you Disney fans? Disneyland does have quite a large number of annual passholders and I, as a Minnesota resident am one of those thousand of APs. My boyfriend in Texas is one too since it was less expensive than buying a hopper ticket for the days we were there in January. So when you take into account the number of visitors and annual passholders remember how many are from the rest of the country and don't visit that much or are from Northern California? Many of the APs only visit enough to make it worth it while some abuse it.

Personally I am sorry to hear of your trip and wish I could have heard more of the good experiences you had. I too have had certain instances that I didn't enjoy but I made my voice heard to Disney (via City Hall) and then put it behind me. Next time I would suggest you do the same. :rolleyes:

BigPigletFan said:
I am curious about the Early Entry. Since it was cancelled a number of you seemed to talk with Cast Members about it. Did anyone speak with a Cast Member at City Hall? Whenever I have had an issued I shared it with City Hall-- where they do something about it and try to help you restore some happiness to your visit.

As far as the character lines go, yes-- WDW does seem to have this system under control. I have spoken to City Hall about this and so has my mother. The only time I have pushed ahead was to see Piglet when there was a crowd around him on Main Street last July. Please forgive me. I learned when he comes out, which was once a week for about 30 mintues and he is my favorite charater. I had to be avassive to see him. Many times City Hall has told me they cannot predict the crowds that well. If there aren't many people there certain characters do not need handlers and can handle themselves.

Now onto the topic of rude people. People are always rude. I work at The Mall of America and I see rude people in stores, in Camp Snoopy, and Underwater World all of the time. Unfortunately you do have to do something about it. People will cram in front of you and push. This has happened anywhere from an elevator at a department store to waiting for Wishes at WDW. I do realize that Disneyland is a smaller park but that does not make it less enjoyable. Is it wrong for me to feel like so much is missing from WDW's Magic Kingdom since half of the fantasyland attractions are not here and the classic attractions such as POTC, Jungle Cruise, and "it's a small world" are different? I would hope not. I believe you have also frequented WDW more often since it is closer so that is the park you simply prefer.

My next visit to Disneyland is for the anniversary in July. We are going expecting crowds. What else do you expect in the middle of the summer? It is the same for WDW. We usually go in the off-season to avoid the crowds but this trip is for the anniversary over simply visiting the park-- if that makes sense to you Disney fans? Disneyland does have quite a large number of annual passholders and I, as a Minnesota resident am one of those thousand of APs. My boyfriend in Texas is one too since it was less expensive than buying a hopper ticket for the days we were there in January. So when you take into account the number of visitors and annual passholders remember how many are from the rest of the country and don't visit that much or are from Northern California? Many of the APs only visit enough to make it worth it while some abuse it.

Personally I am sorry to hear of your trip and wish I could have heard more of the good experiences you had. I too have had certain instances that I didn't enjoy but I made my voice heard to Disney (via City Hall) and then put it behind me. Next time I would suggest you do the same. :rolleyes:

Piglet Fan - check out my photos if you want to see some of the good experiences we had. You will see we had lots of fun. The cast members I talked to were: at the gate, at the rope drop, and at a food vendor. And it wasn't to complain about early entry. It was just to chat, to say hi, to hear their view on things. Also, I would not dream of going to City Hall, the line was about 100 people out the door - I'm sure they had plenty of people giving them their opinion. My time on vacation is spent having fun, not complaining. Enjoy your future visits. :wave2:

TigerLilly's Mom said:
Piglet Fan - check out my photos if you want to see some of the good experiences we had. You will see we had lots of fun. The cast members I talked to were: at the gate, at the rope drop, and at a food vendor. And it wasn't to complain about early entry. It was just to chat, to say hi, to hear their view on things. Also, I would not dream of going to City Hall, the line was about 100 people out the door - I'm sure they had plenty of people giving them their opinion. My time on vacation is spent having fun, not complaining. Enjoy your future visits. :wave2:
ah.. that's when I come back later. :rolleyes: You see, I'm ALWAYS very nice about it. I honestly just share things that I think will help better the park experience for all and they seem to be well recieved. thanks.. and I hope to see you at WDW this fall? :earsboy:

I am glad to see all the posts this thread generated. My purpose was to let others know about EE and Grad nights BEFORE their trip. This is something I wish I had known. I still believe Disneyland was irresponsible in omitting to let us know about EE being canceled. Also, I am not creating the word "canceled" to describe the situation, this was the word the CM's at the gates used when talking to us that morning.

Also, I realize that the rudeness was due to the crowds, not the state. I would never suggest that Californians are more rude than Floridians, LOL. I know it would be crowded, and was prepared for it.

To the person who mentioned the different types of line cutting, the cutting we witnessed was plain, in your face, look out for number one cutting. It was unfortunate for sure, not for us, but for those people and thier families.

I still maintain that Disneyland needs to do something about the character greetings. I felt bad for the characters, it must have been scary at some times.

I would never compare Disneyland to Disney World. To me, they are not comparable. I enjoyed my visits to both places, but would only plan a whole vacation to WDW.

We had a fantastic vacation. I am still raving about the Alladdin show. The parade and fireworks were fantastic. I loved seeing the real Tink ;) and Belle in her yellow dress. I invite anyone to view our vacation pictures by clicking on the link below. Have a very Disney Day :flower: .

Click Here: http://amazon.kodakgallery.com/Shar...post_signin=Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Ux=1

Thank you for the nice pictures! I especially enjoyed the one of you and your daughter on the gold Peter Pan ship. My dd and I have already said we want our picture taken together on that one for her birthday in September! I am glad you enjoyed the Loews, we stayed there two years ago and loved it too. I agree with you, the drive into San Diego isn't bad at all! I am going to have to try Miguel's next time. We always go to Coyote Cafe (I think that's what its called) in Old Town.

We were there this past Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I had expected the crowds, so I was prepared to put up with them. I was surprised that the characters did not have the handlers with them like they do in WDW. A couple of times, waiting in line for one of the princesses, people crowded around them and they asked everyone to please form a line. Then they would gesture to the one next in line to come up, instead of the ones waiting on the sides trying to push their way in. The costumed characters sometimes waved the ones on the side to get in line and motioned for the ones in line to come up.

What I found most disturbing though, was one mother I saw dragging a crying boy in Fantasyland. She hauled off and hit him hard on the bottom. Of course, he started crying even harder and she hauled off and hit him again! He looked to be about 6 years old. Then we were standing in line at Small World and a family was right in front of us. It was the parents, a boy about 6 or 7, an infant girl and grandparents. The boy was crying from the time he got in line and after a few minutes, he was crying so hard he vomited. The father took him by the head, pulled his hair, pushed him by the head under the ropes and dragged him off. They didn't come back to the ride and when we were waiting to get on the boat, my husband told the mom and grandparents that that was not the way to treat a child. They didn't say anything of course. Maybe they couldn't understand English, I don't know. I just wonder what memories those kids will have of the "Happied Place on Earth".

Lynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter