Just Back: Boma Review

Wef

Earning My Ears
All I can say is...WOW!!

I consider myself an expert eater, having lived in major cities and always willing to try something new, and it seems like a very long time since I've eaten anything really exciting and different. Boma, however, was totally fun.

If you're not already familiar with the restaurant's layout, it's a buffet, but instead of one continuous line there are different stations. The food is not served on big steam trays but in small bowls and casserole dishes, which are frequently replenished by the chefs in the open kitchen. They are readily available to answer questions and give out recipes.

We got an early PS and were seated at a lovely table near the windows. Our server was helpful and friendly and didn't hover, though every time we returned with a new plate from the buffet, our old ones had been whisked away and our napkins had been refolded into different shapes.

I started with two soups--chicken corn chowder and butternut squash. Both were lovely. The squash in particular was very, very rich and I was already starting to feel a little full:eek: --perhaps it was just stage fright from so much good food! DH Started with a plate of cold salads--watermelon rind (crisp, light, and sweet), corn and plantain (scrumptious), curried pasta salad (excellent--had 2 servings), and an avocado salad.

On the second round, I went in for the African breads and a green salad with cilantro dressing. One bread tasted like a moist corn bread, the other was a thin, crisp cracker that you could dip with a variety of hummus spreads. Terrific.

Round three had us gearing up for the carving station. We had slices of medium rare beef with four different dipping sauces. The two I remember the best was a honey mustard and something called sambal, which seemed like paste made out of sundried tomatoes and chili peppers (hot!). We loved this so much I requested the recipe. On the side I had a cornmeal mush called pap with a warm tomato chutney on top, spiced potatoes, and a healthy dollop of macaroni and cheese. Pure heaven.

DH and I took a long break, hoping time would help us find more room for all the dishes we missed. Ten minutes later I found myself standing at the buffet with a fourth plate in hand, silently cursing myself as I loaded up on cinnamon rice, falafel, vegetable couscous, and babootie. I didn't expect to like the rice, but it was great. So was the couscous. The falafel was tremendous and I'd give my eye teeth just to have that in a sandwich. The babootie was the only dish I didn't care for--spiced meat topped with a kind of cornbread-like crust. It was dry and not my type of thing.

Dessert was painful. So many. The portions were mercifully small to encourage tasting, though some pastries and cookies were huge and I wished I could have had only a bite. I tried the cocomisu (coconut tiramisu--good), zebra domes (as luscious as everyone says they are), the cappuccino mousse crunch (my favorite) and some ridiculously fudgie brownie that nearly sent me over the edge. I regret missing out on the passion fruit tarts and the pineapple cheesecake and the chocolate chip cookies.

In short, Boma is exotic and interesting and fun. The food is fresh and of the highest quality. This was, hands down, the best meal we had at WDW.

Wef,
Thanks so much for the review - this is definately on my short list of places to eat for my next trip!
Thanks again!

Great review! We LOVED this place too....

but next time, the pineapple cheesecake is NOT To be missed. Think I ate enough of these lovely little morsels to make the price of the meal alone :)

TTFN-
k

OOOOOOOOH I am salivating after reading your review!! Good thing I'll be there in about 10 days for dinner AND breakfast;)
Love BOMA!!:Pinkbounc :bounce:

Oh Yumm!!

Boma is at the top of my "must do" dining list this time.
Your review just made me.highlight it too ::yes::

Thankyou for sharing your review with us.

I think it was around $24 a person--which is a pretty good value. It was our cheapest dinner.

This has become our favorite at WDW. WE are usually a party of 7 with ages from 1-75. Boma is the place where EVERYONE enjoys. Jiko has better food but Bomas variety is a great value. The only complaint we had was on our last trip the CM carving should have been a pathologist..he would be great at making "slices" for a microscope. Guests had to keep asking for "more" repeatedly which really caused a back up. WE were sitting right across so I had a great view of this all evening. What was really the icing was when on of the CMs was filling his own plate for dinner he recieved a 2" thick slick of prime rib. I found the whole thing annoying and now looking back I should have said something to the manager.

I asked DH where he wanted to eat to celebrate his new job. I was thinking local. He said "Boma". Well, I made the PS, got a room, we're eating there 5/30/04! It's his favorite restaurant ever, and he's very fussy about restaurants!

Beth

Hi,

Thanks for the review!!! Mom & I are going in about 60 days!! Can't wait!

Allison

WOW! That was a phenomenally written report on Boma. We've never eaten there but maybe we'll have to plan on this for our next trip!

THANKS!

Boma was excellent. We were there on the 19th March.

I had to say I thought the disney description 'Graze from pods' a little romantic! ......but the food was well served and beautiful. My favourites (I had a little of pretty much everything!) was Butter nut squash soup. Watermelon rind salad, African corn bread, African flat bread, spiced sirloin of beef and sauce, strawberries, all of the puddings...especially the little cruncy chocolate bases on the simba paw prints, pineapple cheesecake and zebra domes!........

I wasn't disappointed in any dish but the salmon sauce was quite overpowering so I couldn't really taste the salmon. Great sauce though all the same.

I have nightmares now that its so popular the price will go up the dollar will fall and I shall never be able to eat there again. Paranoid or what!

Originally posted by kaybird
the pineapple cheesecake is NOT To be missed.

I have to agree with this. Also, the fruit tarts were not that great so you didn't miss anything there.

Thanks for the review, my mouth is watering. I love Boma's and can't wait to get back.

All I can say is..... I can't wait :hyper:. I'm so happy we'll be eating there our second night. Thanks for such a well-written and detailed review.

Iheoma

We will definitely add this to our list for this trip. We wanted to try something different and this should fit the bill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter