Just Back: DL Newbie/WDW Vet Compares Bubble to Bubble Experiences

Little E

DIS Veteran
Hi Disboard friends! We recently returned from our first trip to DL. We arrived on August 13 after dinner, and checked into the DLH. We were in the parks August 14, 15, & 16, and we flew home on August 17. We had a truly magical vacation and really enjoyed our time at DL. As WDW vets who have stayed on WDW property (in a variety of values, moderates, and deluxe resorts) for each of our 8 trips since 2011, it was fun to note the differences and similarities between the WDW "bubble" and the DL "bubble".

General impressions:
We felt like DL is just as magical as WDW. We felt all the feels as we walked down Main Street, and after the initial shock of the small stature of the Sleeping Beauty castle, we could appreciate the fact that DL regulars hang their hat on the Matterhorn. We were bummed that the Matterhorn was down for refurb during our visit, but we found plenty of other things to ride! Overall, we were so glad to be staying on property and we felt that Disney bubble feel at DL just like we have at WDW.

We were surprised that there were no lovely sweet smells of cookies/candy etc walking down Main Street at DL, or lovely floral scents in the lobby of the DLH, like there are in the properties in WDW. However, we LOVED how walkable everything is in DL. It was awesome to be able to get from the hotel to a park, or one park to the other so quickly, just walking. Ahhh...no waiting in line for busses/boats/monorails, and more time to enjoy the parks!

DLH vs Deluxe WDW properties:
The DLH was awesome! We were on the 7th floor of the Adventure Tower, and we overlooked DTD. It felt every bit like the deluxes at WDW. The beds were comfy, the room was spacious, and the bathroom was laid out well (someone could go potty while someone else could be brushing teeth). We missed the monorail service to the MK that we had when staying at the Poly, the Grand Floridian, and the Contemporary, but we loved the fact that there were two DLH robes for us to wear during our stay and we loved the turn down service complete with Ghirardelli chocolates each night. We never experienced those things at WDW resorts. It was a bonus to know that Walt had actually been in the DLH!

CMs:
We had either neutral or terrific experiences with CMs...no negative experiences to speak of. We did notice that the vibe is different at DL; CMs aren't "in your face" like WDW. They aren't as bossy about moving in lines or moving to fill in spaces in line queues or loading areas. Conversely, there just didn't seem to be a ton of CMs around. There were virtually no CMs on Main Street, and so we never got a photographer to take our picture on Main Street, or other photography spots in the two parks, which was a bummer. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting CMs on Main Street at WDW or at any of the other ideal photo spots in any of the parks. We had to make do with awkward family selfies wherever we could. :D

On the other hand, we had AMAZING pixie dust on the last morning of our trip thanks to two CMs. While we were waiting for Adventureland to open, so we could hit Big Thunder Mt., CMs Aime and David along with Billy Goat selected us to "jump the rope" and enter Adventureland first! Big, big thanks to these two; they even let us take their picture with Billy Goat! We got to walk through that section of the park before it was open and we got to ride BTM all by ourselves! It was incredible! We were so appreciative of the extra attention we got from these CMs...they were phenomenal. We had never had anything like that happen at WDW.

One other note: my hubby headed back to the room solo for a break in the middle of our second day in the parks, and was walking down Main Street behind a woman who tripped over one of the grey ramps they have in many spots on Main Street. She fell and BROKE HER ARM! My husband saw the whole thing and stopped immediately to help her. He said it was obvious it was broken as the bone was jutting out at a horrible angle and her lower arm was nearly turned around. He said several park guests stopped to offer help to the woman and my hubby, but it took forever for a CM to appear. DH said there were no CMs on Main Street and CMs were slow to step out of stores. When he and the woman asked them for help, they seemed somewhat unsure about what to do, and he had to be forceful about getting paramedics there. He stayed with the woman until help arrived, but he was sort of shaken by the whole incident.

Ride comparisons:

I asked DH and both DSs about their impressions of the rides that are the same in both parks...here's what I captured from our conversation:

Space Mountain: I think we are in the Dis minority here...we liked WDW's version better. We like the sound effects during the ride at WDW better, and we really missed the silly things you get to see after the ride when you're on the "conveyor belt". We did, however, like that the seats were side by side in DL.

Splash Mountain: We liked the ride itself better at DL and the fact that the seats are one behind the other in the logs. However, we felt that WDW tells the story of Brer Rabbit better.

Star Tours: We felt rides were identical at both parks, but we really liked the story version we got at DL. We had never seen Po, Finn, and Max Kanata in any version we experienced at WDW.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Totally beat Tower of Terror at WDW, hands down. We got "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" both times we rode it. So. Totally. Fun.

Indiana Jones: Totally beat Dinosaur at WDW. No question. We liked the immersive queue, and the fact that you got to see the funny, old fashioned explanation film waiting in line, rather than being closed in the room watching Felicia Rashad do her spiel in Dinosaur.

Goofy's Sky School: Totally beat Primeval Whirl at WDW. We call it Primeval "Hurl" for obvious reasons and loved the fact that Goofy's didn't spin.

Grizzly River Run: Totally beat WDW's Kali River...again, no question. We liked that we didn't have to wear ponchos...the California weather was so hot and dry rather than Florida humid, that our clothes were dry 5 minutes after getting off the ride. Winning!

Big Thunder: We liked the DL version...all of the moving parts of the ride were working. It seems like WDW's version's moving parts don't always work. Also we loved the explosion scene. Our pixie dust CM David said that they are going to bring the explosion scene to WDW's ride, which will be nice.

It's a Small World: My guys dislike this ride, but I make them ride it once every time we go to WDW. I liked the DL version better because part of it was outside, and there were doll Disney characters in some of the scenes.

Buzz Lightyear: We liked the DL version better...we liked that you can remove the blasters. They guys felt their scores were better in DL...mine are awful in both parks. I'm terrible at that ride, but it's still so fun!

Haunted Mansion: We all felt they were pretty much the same. We agreed it was fun to feel the elevator lowering in the stretching room in DL, and we liked the Hatbox ghost. However, we felt the line queue is way better in WDW.

Jungle Cruise: We felt they were pretty similar, but we felt some of the animatronics are better on this ride in WDW.

Peter Pan: Again, we felt they were pretty similar, but I was disappointed that in DL, the CM didn't sprinkle pixie dust on each boat before it takes off the way they do in WDW. Interestingly, the line is equally atrocious in both parks!

Pirates of the Caribbean: DL's version is wwwaaayyyy better. I especially loved seeing Red! Girl power!

Toy Story Midway Mania and Soarin' both seem to be the same experience in both the Land and the World.

We really enjoyed the Radiator Springs Racers. They totally beat Test Track...the theming of the whole Carsland was our favorite part of DCA. Super fun and very well done!

We LOVED the Incredicoaster! Granted we haven't ever experienced California Screamin', but we loved the theming of this coaster and the fact that it was so smooth. Just an awesome, awesome ride!

In DL, we also appreciated that most rides don't dump you into a mobbed store at the end of rides. Geez, I hate that part at WDW!

MaxPass:
I don't even know where to start with how AWESOME MaxPass is! It was very simple to use, and it made all the difference for us. We had a short stay and not many days in the park, and MP made it so that we could ride the rides we wanted with very reasonable wait times. Oh how I wish that WDW used this system! It would solve so many issues at WDW. MP really levels the playing field for everyone, and I would highly recommend getting it to anyone who might be on the fence. I really liked that we could split our party up and get different FPs for everyone in our family. This was super awesome for us and helped make our trip extra magical!

Overall, we had a great experience! We really enjoyed DL, and we really enjoyed both its similarities and differences with WDW.

How were the wait times and feel of the crowdedness of the parks? Did it feel crowded because its smaller?

The lack of scents and CMs on Main Street may have to do with the construction going on; usually there are plenty of both!

Glad you had a great trip. Went to look up picks of those ramps- OMG. Photos posted 8/20 show parts of those ramps are sticking up! That poor woman! Absolute shame on Disney for not installing those ramps properly. Thank you for the heads up!!

What a fun review to read. Glad you had a great time. Every time I've walked down Main Street there have been lots of smells, so it must be because of the construction going on. I agree, MaxPass is awesome!

Great observations! We are DLR vets and went to WDW in June this summer. I agree with you on many of your ride observations.

Splash Mountain - one of my favorite rides - I think DL could do a better job maintaining it, WDW had better lighting and the paint was new and bright.

Indiana Jones - SOOOO much better than Dinosaur. I thought Dinosaur was a waste of time.

BTMRR - I love, love, love this ride at both parks, but it is smoother at DL.

My family likes the DL Space Mountain better because they said it was darker than WDW.

Buzz Lightyear - it drove us crazy that we couldn't pick up the guns - my kids were mad when we got off and I'm so glad we immediately got a fastpass for that.

Grizzly River Run - we did find it better in CA.

Castle - WDW wins this hands down.

Tomorrowland and Frontierland - I like better at WDW.

I liked really like Fantasyland at WDW and my family loved SDMT, but I do like the dark rides at DLR - Alice!

Matterhorn - ehh. You didn't miss much. Ride is rough and cars have always been uncomfortable.

Haunted Mansion - we like better at DLR.

Hall of President's - my kids loved this and that surprised me.

Rides with lines at WDW but never that bad at DLR: Pooh, Buzz, Little Mermaid - I don't why they are popular at WDW but not at DLR.

Country Bears and Carousel of Progress - brought back memories of when these used to be at DLR.

HEA - best show I've ever seen at any park.

Paint the Night Parade - WDW needs something like this - it's a great nighttime parade.

Flight of Passage - totally awesome and nothing at DLR even comes close - maybe once Galaxy Edge opens.

Bathrooms - much cleaner at DL.

Mainstreet smells - I'm surprised you didn't smell any candy smells near the candy shop - they blow it out - vent is below window.

Alcohol - way more options in WDW.

Traveling between parks - I appreciate even more how walkable my DLR is.

General impressions:
We felt like DL is just as magical as WDW. We felt all the feels as we walked down Main Street, and after the initial shock of the small stature of the Sleeping Beauty castle, we could appreciate the fact that DL regulars hang their hat on the Matterhorn. We were bummed that the Matterhorn was down for refurb during our visit, but we found plenty of other things to ride! Overall, we were so glad to be staying on property and we felt that Disney bubble feel at DL just like we have at WDW.

Overall, we had a great experience! We really enjoyed DL, and we really enjoyed both its similarities and differences with WDW.

Sorry to hear that you didn't have the opportunity to board the attraction Matterhorn. Now you can check off your bucket list " How do folks feel when they travel all the way to see .......the Statue of Liberty, but it was under refurb, travel all the way to the Grand Canyon, to find that it was fogged in, Travel to Oregon in July and find the Ocean is darn cold, travel to San Francisco in August and find it cold. But you know....we all get over the initial shock of not seeing that coming....after all...who thought they would have an earthquake in Washington D.C.?

Splash Mountain - one of my favorite rides - I think DL could do a better job maintaining it, WDW had better lighting and the paint was new and bright.

The effects are looking amazing and better than ever! If you went before the past two refurbs you would've seen a very poor looking Splash, in worse shape than DL's.

Thank you for your comparative report! I am horrified about the woman who fell and no CMs to help! At WDW they would have come out of the woodwork! Wow! I am glad your DH took command of the situation to get her some help!

I"m an original WDW vet who has spent her last five trips at DL... I much prefer DL overall, especially the ease of walking everywhere and not wasting time! And while I haven't used FP+ (the implementation of that is why I stopped going to WDW and started going to DL) I have read extensively about it and feel legacy FP at DL is far superior, especially coupled with MaxPass!

It's funny that you prefer WDW Space and DL Splash! Most people feel the exact opposite about both. It's especially funny that you like that you get to ride side by side on DL's Space, but then you say you like how you can ride single file on DL's Splash! LOL! Was it just that you enjoyed the change in seating on both rides??

Glad you had a great trip!

Why did you like the MaxPass better? I haven’t been to DL for 5 years now but went to WDW 2 years ago, liked the FP+ ok, although now I need a refresher on it again.

@abcboys Yes, the parks were crowded and things felt smaller at DL, but it definitely wasn't a deal breaker for us. The wait times felt OK. We went in August, which is a really busy time of year, so going in, we expected things to be really busy. Maybe that was why it didn't seem like a huge deal? We went last June to WDW, and it felt equally busy and crowded, but I think the wait times were better at DL.

@Hatwriter456 thanks for your comparisons! It was fun to get your take on the WDW/DL experiences!

@Princess Katelet I guess it is sort of silly to like the side by side of Space Mt, and prefer the one-behind-the-other of the logs at Splash Mt. at DL. I guess maybe we just liked the fact that the rides were a little different? :-)

@Candycane83 We LOVED the ease of MaxPass and the fact that rides aren't tiered at DL. So, there was no having to choose which top tiered rides to ride and which ones we had to skip or give up. I also likes the flexibility. It was so easy to select a FP for our whole family or select different FPs for when the family wanted to split up and ride different rides. I have a very adventurous DS and a very cautious DS who doesn't ride all the rollercoasters. MaxPass was a godsend so that one of us could ride the crazy rides with our youngest, and one of us could ride the more "chill" rides with our oldest. You can't really do that at WDW. Additionally, I liked the fact that once you scan in at the turnstile you can start getting FPs and be sort of spontaneous, based on what the family is feeling at that time. At WDW, you have to plan your rides and book FPs 60 days out, and that dictates which parks you'll be in. I'm a planner, so we make it work, but it was awesome to be able to sort of go with the flow more. Plus, we could be in one park, but get a FP for the other park with no problem.

Why did you like the MaxPass better? I haven’t been to DL for 5 years now but went to WDW 2 years ago, liked the FP+ ok, although now I need a refresher on it again.
With MaxPass, you don't have to decide what you're going to be doing two months ahead of time, and you're not limited to three to start with. If you deploy MP judiciously, you can get a dozen in a day. As PP mentioned, there is no tiering, either. The ONLY way in which FP+ is better than MP is in the fact that it's free.

With MaxPass, you don't have to decide what you're going to be doing two months ahead of time, and you're not limited to three to start with. If you deploy MP judiciously, you can get a dozen in a day. As PP mentioned, there is no tiering, either. The ONLY way in which FP+ is better than MP is in the fact that it's free.

But legacy FP is free at DL so I don't think FP+ gets the edge there since it's so limiting with it's initial three and its tiering and the fact that so few 'good' FPs are available the day of for when you finish your initial three. DL FP is superior for me, and if you choose to pay for MaxPass it's just even better!

FP+ is the sole reason we have not returned to WDW. It's bad enough you have to plan so much to enjoy a trip there, but FP+ and the limitations really hamstrung our last trip there (I figure we rode half as many rides as we did previous).

That being said, even though I grew up going to DL for summer vacation during my childhood, WDW became my go to Disney park as an adult. Agree with most of the OP's thoughts except for Space Mountain, so much better at DL (but Paris' version trumps them all!!!). I'm really looking forward to experiencing GOTG as Tower of Terror (both park versions) is one of my favorite them park rides. We're a couple of weeks out!

We had our first trip to Disneyland this summer after hundreds of visits to WDW and agree with all your opinions on the rides. The only one we didn't get to do was Incredicoaster as we went in early June and it was closed.

I actually like MaxPass better too. I don't mind the way we have to be so scheduled at WDW, but my husband and kids did not like it. There's not the same flexibility with FP+ that there is with MaxPass. With MaxPass I LOVE how you can get another fastpass EVERY 90 minutes even if you have another one you haven't used. Last November I had 4-5 fastpasses all lined up starting in the afternoon and I just stood in line for rides in the morning. The key with MaxPass is that you can't activate it until you are within the security borders of DLR and you need to get there first thing in the morning to get the full benefit of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter