Kayak fare cheaper than JetBlue's website?

Miffy

DIS Veteran
I just checked Kayak for a round-trip to MCO from LGA in May. The base price is $224 on JetBlue and $137.68 on Kayak. For the exact same flights. Why is this? Is it okay to buy from Kayak instead of directly from JB, as I usually do? The price difference is significant.

Thanks for any info on this.

ETA: Perhaps not. I see that the Kayak fares didn't include taxes and fees and the JB fares do.

Last edited:
Very seldom are sites, other than the airline's official site, going to be cheaper. I can't tell you how many times I've looked for a flight, on Expedia or Priceline, and seen a lower fare. But, when you try to book it? It's either booked already and you are offered a different flight at a higher price, or they haven't included all the fees.
I no longer even look at those sites.

One time I got a lower fare clicking through kayak than I would have going direct to the site. Once. There was no difference in how I was treated etc etc. It was literally just clicking through.

thats odd that it didn’t include taxes.

You can't buy airfare from kayak. It will direct you to the airlines site, and you will get a pop-up that says "the fare for this itinerary has increased."

Kayak is a search engine, not a travel seller.

I only use Kayak, Orbitz, etc. to compare different airlines for the lowest. Then I go to the airline's site and book there. If there is ever a problem, I want to be able to deal directly with the airline and not some third party.

I once found a really good fare for United on one of those sites and realized when I went to United's site that the quoted fare was for their super-duper-boiled down "basic economy" fare which doesn't allow you to sit with your party, doesn't allow a full-sized carry on, etc. I would not have realized this from Orbitz or whatever site I was on and we would have been disappointed and stuck.

I’ve been toodling around the kayak app, and their listings that I have looked at include taxes and fees.

Did you click on one of the offers labeled as an ad? Those don’t lay it out for you like the normal listings do.

I got a much better rate for JetBlue by clicking through Google Flights once.
I was still booking with Jetblue directly, but it was like Google Flights had a back door to cheaper flights than I could find on the Jetblue website.

I just bought a ticket on Jetblue and it was $4.00 more than Expedia, oh well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter