Kelly Marie Tran-Star Wars leaves Instagram due to harassment

There are some crazy fans that take all things SW too seriously. I can see them lashing out at her because she doesn't fit their view of what her character should be, or that her character should exist in SW at all. They can't really separate reality from fantasy, they don't see her as herself they see her as her character. I didn't see the movie so I'm not sure if her character was a damsel in distress or a strong woman. I'm assuming the latter so she should have told them to **** off and get a life.

I don't think it's really Star Wars uber fans doing it. It's the people who want to spread hate and continually engage in this type of aggressive behavior online. They harass and threaten anyone who they decide did something "against" them.
It's not just a matter that's resolved by "telling them to get a life". It's organized, methodical harassment and threatening behavior. It's not just one or two people. These are groups of people who work together, continually attacking people. With her, this has gone on for months. Her movie came out at the Holidays, it's now almost summer and it was still happening. That's beyond a bunch of weirdos taking a movie too seriously.

Many diehard SW fans hate the direction of the Disney sequels especially the latest one...

So take it out on Bob Igor, Kathleen Kennedy or someone that agreed to make that version of the movie -- it's not the fault of that actress.

Agreed with pretty much everything said here. IMO there needs to be a reckoning for these trolls somehow.

Regarding contacting the people in charge of the franchise, yes, they could POLITELY send information to those writers, producers, directors, etc. but instead they find an easy target on Instagram where there is no barrier to entry for harassment and they can say practically whatever horrible thing comes into their immature heads.

Ironically, regarding the so-called "Die hard" fans who may be part of this....I think if all of these people came up with their own Star Wars stories, they'd hate each other's stories ...it's impossible to please a lot of people who have their own very specific vision for the franchise.

It's not just Star Wars fans. I remember the Hunger Games backlash with the casting of the character of Rue.

Yes, and Leslie Jones from the Ghostbusters movie. People are hateful.

Anyone who doesn't really understand the extent of this stuff should look at the situation with LeslieJones. It's easy to find a rundown of what happened to her. It'll show you how these people operate and that it's not just a few random superfans saying unkind things.

Anyone who doesn't really understand the extent of this stuff should look at the situation with LeslieJones. It's easy to find a rundown of what happened to her. It'll show you how these people operate and that it's not just a few random superfans saying unkind things.

Exactly. Let’s start calling these people what they are. They are racists, sexists, homophobes, and misogynists, and generally hate those who look or are different than them. They are also cowards so they hide behind their computer screens to spew their filth and hate. In the past (and many may still in the present) these same people would be donning their white hoods and robes and gathering with their ilk to burn a cross on a neighbor’s lawn.

I don't think it's really Star Wars uber fans doing it. It's the people who want to spread hate and continually engage in this type of aggressive behavior online. They harass and threaten anyone who they decide did something "against" them.
It's not just a matter that's resolved by "telling them to get a life". It's organized, methodical harassment and threatening behavior. It's not just one or two people. These are groups of people who work together, continually attacking people. With her, this has gone on for months. Her movie came out at the Holidays, it's now almost summer and it was still happening. That's beyond a bunch of weirdos taking a movie too seriously.

Admittedly I have no idea what this woman has been through, I have never heard of her until this thread and I googled her.
I saw one thing someone posted and it sure read like it was from an uber fan. I have no idea what other stuff was posted or how else she harassed. And telling then to get a life isn't meant to resolve anything, it is meant to show them that what they say doesn't really matter. How would one resolve it, you can't control other people, you can only control yourself. Personally I don't think her leaving Instagram resolves it either, but that is how she chose to deal with it. Me, I'd tell them to **** off.

I have known this fandom intimately for many years. It's one of the worst out there and one reason why I don't have the best feelings about Galaxy's Edge.

Admittedly I have no idea what this woman has been through, I have never heard of her until this thread and I googled her.
I saw one thing someone posted and it sure read like it was from an uber fan. I have no idea what other stuff was posted or how else she harassed. And telling then to get a life isn't meant to resolve anything, it is meant to show them that what they say doesn't really matter. How would one resolve it, you can't control other people, you can only control yourself. Personally I don't think her leaving Instagram resolves it either, but that is how she chose to deal with it. Me, I'd tell them to **** off.

Her drivers license and passport information were posted online, and her iCloud account was hacked and personal photos posted online. Along with an avalanche of photoshopped obscene photos, fake anti-gay tweets posted in her name, and truly vile threats. It was horrific, it went on for a long time, and it was organized.

All because she was in a movie they didn’t like.

I have known this fandom intimately for many years. It's one of the worst out there and one reason why I don't have the best feelings about Galaxy's Edge.

As a huge Star Wars fan myself, I kind of agree with you. SW fans can be very possessive and rigid when it comes to the property. This same nonsense went on during the Prequels. If Galaxy's Edge presents something some of the fans don't like, they're going to go nuts, and they will likely let it be known right then and there how much they hate whatever it is. They're also not primarily Disney Parks fans, and while I'd very much like to welcome them with open arms, I've already heard unflattering comments regarding the "rest of Disney" as something they don't care about. It makes me wonder what the tone of the crowds will feel like.

I mean, really, I don't think that's true of all the SW fans and I think a lot of them will come and have a great time. I have wondered though about a how some of them may react to the entire thing. I guess we'll see.

As a huge Star Wars fan myself, I kind of agree with you. SW fans can be very possessive and rigid when it comes to the property. This same nonsense went on during the Prequels. If Galaxy's Edge presents something some of the fans don't like, they're going to go nuts, and they will likely let it be known right then and there how much they hate whatever it is. They're also not primarily Disney Parks fans, and while I'd very much like to welcome them with open arms, I've already heard unflattering comments regarding the "rest of Disney" as something they don't care about. It makes me wonder what the tone of the crowds will feel like.

I mean, really, I don't think that's true of all the SW fans and I think a lot of them will come and have a great time. I have wondered though about a how some of them may react to the entire thing. I guess we'll see.
Should Definitely be interesting to watch and monitor things as they unfold. Pretty sure Disney isn't going to go bankrupt if the super nerdlings declare something at Galaxy's Edge isn't Star Wars canon, and they get miffed because they weren't consulted on an individual basis on what is Gospel or not.

Should Definitely be interesting to watch and monitor things as they unfold. Pretty sure Disney isn't going to go bankrupt if the super nerdlings declare something at Galaxy's Edge isn't Star Wars canon, and they get miffed because they weren't consulted on an individual basis on what is Gospel or not.

Oh, I don't think it will affect the bottom line. The super-nerds just aren't a large enough group to worry about that. I'm just concerned about heir attitude in general. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge nerd and I love most of my people (I even had a good ol' Wednesday a the comic book shop discussion yesterday where we disagreed but it was all kept civil and fun which is a rarity - it was not that way the last time The Last Jedi came up in the shop). I've been around enough to know there are a contingent of those who will take it way too seriously, and if Disney disappoints them, they will let everyone know about it!

Her drivers license and passport information were posted online, and her iCloud account was hacked and personal photos posted online. Along with an avalanche of photoshopped obscene photos, fake anti-gay tweets posted in her name, and truly vile threats. It was horrific, it went on for a long time, and it was organized.

All because she was in a movie they didn’t like.

Wow that is terrible, and that goes way beyond what I thought was happening to her. All that I read just stated he has been harassed on social media.
I assume with that level of hacking and harassment that law enforcement is involved, and hopefully they catch who is responsible.

So you say she is leaving instagram like it's a bad thing? Now I am a dinosaur and I don't do social media, but that sounds like a great solution. What good has ever come of instagram/twitter? Why would she care what a bunch of losers think?

You'd be surprised at the amount of business - including promotional work, marketing, and networking - that takes place on social media these days. Especially if you're trying to promote your own work, as actors, writers, musicians and other creative people are, it's a place you can't afford not to be. If you're an up-and-coming young actress like Kelly Marie Tran, it's an important way to connect and build friendships with peers, and connect with fans.

It's very alarming to me, the way some people's reaction to hearing or seeing entertainment they don't like is to try to destroy anyone connected to it. It used to be that if people didn't like your movie or your video game, they just wouldn't go see it, or would maybe complain to their friends about it. Now you have these incredibly fragile, disturbed people who simply cannot bear that a thing they don't like exists.

People were actually creating petitions to demand that The Last Jedi be withdrawn from theaters and remade to their liking.

Some of the worst things from these trolls (forum rules prevent me from saying worse) I saw was Rian Johnson was responsible for Carrie Fishers death

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter