Kids headed to College Fall 2012 Check-in

My 5 year old is really missing her big sister. Her Kindergarten teacher told me she talks about her sister all the time. During art class last week, the Kindergartners had to draw a picture of something that makes them happy. My girl drew a picture of herself holding hands with her big sister. Sniff, sniff.

Oh this GOT me!!!:sad1: I was older when my sister moved to college but I remember the heartbreak. Now, she is 55 (very soon) and still has never come home from leaving for college when she was almost 18. :guilty: I STILL miss her. That part of life is NOT fair.

Hug your little one tight. Your big sister is your sistermom/bestfriend/hero all rolled into one. :hug: Hugs for her, I know she has a empty spot for her big sis.

Glad all the move ins are going so well!! :woohoo: It is exciting to read about them!

And...my little baby squirrel is still fighting for his life! (I only thought I had an empty nest!)

My oldest sister is 13 years older than me and I swore she had angel wings folded under her clothing :angel:. I adored, admired and just CHERISHED her. She got married at 22 and LEFT ME... :sad: .. I still remember it and her oldest son is now 47!!! :rotfl2:

Last week we put her granddaughter in college. She is still the most precious thing in my world, especially since I lost my Mom. I speak to her every day even though we live a state away. Those kind of relationships sustain us. :hug:

Son still out and about with the remaining friends. They are all liked GLUE to each other. Never leaving sides. Today they are heading to the beach.

But last night was a tear jerker moment for me. He was out all day and got home late- with a present for me. It's a metal I Love Lucy poster.
*story- when I was a baby my first ever laugh was watching I Love Lucy with my grandma- it wasn't the show it was me laughing whenever she laughed. It's a special memory for me) He got it to remind me to keep laughing when he's gone. :sad1:

We've already had to mail a care package to DS. It's sad he's only been gone a week :) He was requesting a Brita pitcher he could keep in his fridge because the dorm water fountain water is nasty and he didn't want to waste all his meal credits on bottled water. Since I was mailing a pitcher, we filled the box with snacks and sent it Monday.

What's really funny is that this week he will get a Welcome Package from the college from us. They sent out a mailing a month ago where you could buy different care packages that the school puts together and delivers to students as a fundraiser for some different clubs. We ordered 4 of them (welcome one from parents, fall finals one from DS16, Valentines one from DD10 and Halloween one from DS7)

Awww, if I had seen you, I would have totally started too! I did ok since it was a quick goodbye in the parking lot without others around and mostly a happy day. It would have been soooo hard to leave her room & walk out alone, that is emotional!!

Thanks! :goodvibes

I had seen another set of parents saying goodbye earlier (before we all went to dinner) and that was hard to watch!

I've been texting with DS a bit here and there and he seems happy. He's done laundry, he's been enjoying the orientation stuff, he's been sleeping pretty well.

Today, he had his auditions for music (wind ensemble and jazz) and he said they went really well. :cheer2:

He'll register this afternoon and classes start Monday.

I won't be able to text him the next few days because part of orientation includes going out camping for a few days and they say no cell phones. He's never been camping in his life - not even in a campground - so I'll be curious to hear how it went!

We've already had to mail a care package to DS. It's sad he's only been gone a week :) He was requesting a Brita pitcher he could keep in his fridge because the dorm water fountain water is nasty and he didn't want to waste all his meal credits on bottled water. Since I was mailing a pitcher, we filled the box with snacks and sent it Monday.

What's really funny is that this week he will get a Welcome Package from the college from us. They sent out a mailing a month ago where you could buy different care packages that the school puts together and delivers to students as a fundraiser for some different clubs. We ordered 4 of them (welcome one from parents, fall finals one from DS16, Valentines one from DD10 and Halloween one from DS7)

We are in Indiana too.

DD's school offered the Welcome Package too. Did you get a free pizza card with it? We took a Britta Pitcher down too and the girls love it. They have a sign up sheet up so they can take turns getting the new filters when needed.

She seems to be enjoying college life..

Son still out and about with the remaining friends. They are all liked GLUE to each other. Never leaving sides. Today they are heading to the beach.

But last night was a tear jerker moment for me. He was out all day and got home late- with a present for me. It's a metal I Love Lucy poster.
*story- when I was a baby my first ever laugh was watching I Love Lucy with my grandma- it wasn't the show it was me laughing whenever she laughed. It's a special memory for me) He got it to remind me to keep laughing when he's gone. :sad1:

Aaawww, this made me tear up...how sweet!!!!

Yup, I mailed a package on Monday as well. He couldn't find his iPod before he left. I found it and took it on the plane with me but forgot to give it to him :faint: so had to ship it, so threw in some Trader Joe's cookies. :thumbsup2

We're lucky that his dorm water seems to be okay - we got a rubbermaid pitcher to go in his fridge. Also, his dining hall doesn't charge for cups of ice water, so that's helpful.

Started my youngest as a freshman this week, giving us all 3 in college at once!!! talk about empty nesters! having dropped the other two off we knew what to expect but the house is really quiet... kinda nice.

Drew in Ga

We are in Indiana too.

DD's school offered the Welcome Package too. Did you get a free pizza card with it? We took a Britta Pitcher down too and the girls love it. They have a sign up sheet up so they can take turns getting the new filters when needed.

She seems to be enjoying college life..

Sounds like our kids are at the same school :)

DS had his first class today from 9 to 9:50--his only class on Wednesdays. He posted on facebook "Already done with class today, college is awesome."

DH took DS a box of a few things DS forgot on Monday and took DS to lunch. DH works in the city where his college is an hour from our home. I didn't get home from work that night until 10 p.m. and wanted to know how he was doing, but DH was done talking for the day and wouldn't tell me more than 2 sentences. (He apologized the next a.m. for not talking to me.)

DS called my cell phone yesterday after not wanting to facebook chat with me--I was asking too many questions on facebook. So we chatted for a few minutes--he's loving college life. Orientation was Sat to Tuesday. He said it was a blast and seemed like he was just away at camp. It would sink in that he's at college when he actually went to class today. He had a list of things he needed to take care of at the college today regarding classes and meeting professors, etc.

I'll lay low for a while now and let him settle in and wait for him to call me.

We've gotten solicitations for those welcome/exam/etc. gift packages at four different schools, so the two posters above may or may not have kids at the same school.:)

I didn't order thevwelcome package thing. Now I'm rethinking. He is particular in likes. I as going to send my own little special stuff, but now I'm wondering if the other roomies are all going to get them on the same day maybe I should..... Decision decisions.

DD's roommate moves in tomorrow! After 2 weeks with the dorm room to herself, this should be interesting!!
So far, she is loving pre-season but I have never seen her so worn out! One night at 7:40 she said, "I'm showering and going to bed!" Usually she makes it to 9 or so! lol (there, at home it is between 11 and 1-ish!) Of course, she's also up seeing the sunrise every morning. I'm seeing lots of sunrise pics on FB! ;)

Java, your son's gift tore me up! How sweet.

We dropped our oldest one off yesterday. It was so hard to leave and of course I cried when leaving but so far so good. They have orientation till Sunday and then classes start on Monday. They have planned actvities for the freshman for the next 5 days.

Says he is hanging out with his roommate and the kids on his floor. Playing basketball and volleyball. So he is loving it.

Wish he wasn't so far (about 5 hours), but its a great school and he is happy. :)

DD18 has been at school for a week and a half - her school has a three week freshman orientation. She's having a ball - her school does this long orientation in August before the upperclassmen come in, and she is taking a seminar class which will be 3 credit hours. She registers tomorrow for her other first semester classes.

Looks like she will get another new experience soon - evacuating from a hurricane!! I made precautionary reservations at WDW so she can have a safe, fairly close by hotel far enough inland to be safe.

Guess this is a fact of life for Florida students - I didn't worry about this when my older daughter went to college in South Carolina!!

Well we just found out yesterday that DS was accepted to college for fall 2013! He doesn't know yet and we will be surprising him later this morning. We are decorating our dining room and making pancakes in the school's first letter. This is DS's top choice and we couldn't be happier for him. Especially the fact that it is so soon. I can't believe that in less than a year we will be dealing with what all of you are. My heart goes out to you all!

I didn't order thevwelcome package thing. Now I'm rethinking. He is particular in likes. I as going to send my own little special stuff, but now I'm wondering if the other roomies are all going to get them on the same day maybe I should..... Decision decisions.

I wouldn't sweat it. Those welcome packages and the one with the linens are not really from the school. It's a company that does mass mailings to all incoming students to many many schools. The company is actually a client of my DH's. If it is the letter we got last year, they claim so many people do these welcome baskets and they are looking for 100% participation this year. We opted to not do it and DS said really nobody in his dorm got them. What many kids say is that they prefer homemade care packages from home. They are thrilled to get anything. We always sent things so he could share, too. In the fall last year I made pumpkin bread and sent it...he loved it.

Also, in the age of texting, e-mailing, face time...my DS also appreciated to get mail...a snail mail card once in awhile.

Hug your little one tight. Your big sister is your sistermom/bestfriend/hero all rolled into one. :hug: Hugs for her, I know she has a empty spot for her big sis.

Yes, this is it exactly! We didn't plan to have such a big age gap between our kids but it has turned out to be such a great thing! These two adore each other and the relationship isjust like you said- part sister, part mom, part hero. My oldest is so tender with her baby sis, it makes me teary.

My daughter is coming home tomorrow! It wasn't a planned visit but my husband has to have knee surgery and we found out Monday that it is scheduled for tomorrow. My daughter wants to be here for her daddy.

I am so blessed!

DD's roommate moves in tomorrow! After 2 weeks with the dorm room to herself, this should be interesting!!
So far, she is loving pre-season but I have never seen her so worn out! One night at 7:40 she said, "I'm showering and going to bed!" Usually she makes it to 9 or so! lol (there, at home it is between 11 and 1-ish!) Of course, she's also up seeing the sunrise every morning. I'm seeing lots of sunrise pics on FB! ;)
Sounds like my DD. She moved in early for preseason and I think she's enjoying having the room to herself. She has been calling every night around 8 after showering and she's completely wiped out. After 6 hours of training each day plus additional things like yoga classes and hikes she's exhausted. Her roomates move in today so hopefully that goes well!

Yes, this is it exactly! We didn't plan to have such a big age gap between our kids but it has turned out to be such a great thing! These two adore each other and the relationship isjust like you said- part sister, part mom, part hero. My oldest is so tender with her baby sis, it makes me teary.

My daughter is coming home tomorrow! It wasn't a planned visit but my husband has to have knee surgery and we found out Monday that it is scheduled for tomorrow. My daughter wants to be here for her daddy.

I am so blessed!

There was only 5 years between my sister and I. My oldest sister is 8 yrs. older than me. We were not close at all. But the middle sister...there are no words. I adore her still! And my relationship with my older sister has improved over time. She's been through a nasty divorce these past 3 years and, sadly, it took that to bring us closer.

Good luck with his knee surgery. My DH will be having shoulder surgery on the 5th of Sept! DD will want to observe the surgery and, of course, will not be allowed. :rolleyes2

Sounds like my DD. She moved in early for preseason and I think she's enjoying having the room to herself. She has been calling every night around 8 after showering and she's completely wiped out. After 6 hours of training each day plus additional things like yoga classes and hikes she's exhausted. Her roomates move in today so hopefully that goes well!

:thumbsup2 Sounds familiar! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

DD's roommate is bringing a lot of "stuff" (TV, fridge, soda machine, Keurig, etc.) I have no idea where all this is going to go! The room is so small. It'll be interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter