Knotts going down hill

dwelty

"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney
Any one else on this board feel that Knott's has really gone down hill over the last few years. I have lived all of my life on So Cal. and my family has made a yearly trip a tradition. However since it was sold to Cedar Fair I have really noticed a difference. They took out all of the neat exhibits in the Ghost town area, and now it is all poorly theamed roller coasters. My biggest complaint is how dirty it has become. Every restroom I took my kids into was disgusting! There was trash all over the park, (not enough sweepers?) and the maintenance on the rides seemed below par. That is too bad, since it used to be a really special place. My wife and I swore we would never go back. Any one else feel the same?

WOW- I'm shocked to hear how Knotts Berry Farm has gone down hill. I was looking forward to seeing the Ghost Town the way I remember it (15 years ago). The theme is what made the park so unique!

YES!!!
We have gone only one time. We were there about a total of 4 hours. My son and his friend did not have a very good time at all. The bathrooms were so gross. I felt like I was at the fair. When I gave the kids the choice of either staying there and riding some more rides or going back to the hotel and swimming they quickly chose the hotel and swimming. I think what freaked the kids out the most is that we were on one of the coasters and when it was time to get off the lap thing would not release when it was supposed to. The person working that portion of the ride came up pulled on it and when she couldn't release it she grabbed her handy dandy flat head screwdriver out and popped it open. My son's eyes grew huge with that. He did not want to ride anything else after that.

When we did the ScaliPass in 05 Knotts was part of the package . I thought it was like a run down SixFlags .It seemed like it could have been much better but just wasn't.

And yes it was very dirty.

A few years ago, we had out-of-town guests who wanted to visit Knotts. We dropped them off in the morning, and planned to pick them up in the afternoon.

After an hour in the park, they walked out. We found them (using cell phones) at a nearby pub.

Woody

Well, i also worked at Knotts Berry Farm as a ride operator. Just to let you know, we only got paid minimum wage, i dont know if its still at minimum wage or not. People quit everyday. and LOTS... when i went there, i was there for like 6 month, i saw my co-worker filled with news ones and like half the ppl i met on training were gone.

Thats how bad it is... and also working 11 hour shifts per day(open to close) as a ride operator... geez, they really care about guest safety :/

Is it really that bad :sad1: We're going Thanksgiving weekend - been there in the late 80's just once recall it to be nice and clean - this will be the first for DH,DS,DD - just for a day Sat - already bought the tix - wonder if it wouldve been better if we've gotten the 2 day hopper for Disney instead of 1day - o well - guess will have to just go at least once and see it before its gone . . . . :confused3 - holiday decors up by then and hopefully won't notice the bad part - guess have to think of something else to do just in case we need to get out early - ;) SHOPPING - Citadel? or maybe call & go meet up w some friends

DVC2000V said:
Is it really that bad :sad1: We're going Thanksgiving weekend - been there in the late 80's just once recall it to be nice and clean - this will be the first for DH,DS,DD - just for a day Sat - already bought the tix - wonder if it wouldve been better if we've gotten the 2 day hopper for Disney instead of 1day - o well - guess will have to just go at least once and see it before its gone . . . . :confused3 - holiday decors up by then and hopefully won't notice the bad part - guess have to think of something else to do just in case we need to get out early - ;) SHOPPING - Citadel? or maybe call & go meet up w some friends

I would do another day at Disneyland. You are right, in the late 80's it was still owned by the Knott's family and was wonderful. However, the fact that you are a Disney fan, and (Fellow DVC member) you are used to top notch service and quality with Disney, you will be quite dissapointed with Knotts. Remember you were warned!

Thanks Dwelty ;) DH still insist to at least take a peek - maybe just have their famous chicken meal then leave - this trip was a bonus trip for me actually - first time that we're away from home - no need to host/prepare Thanksgiving dinner - so anything is ok for me :cool1: even just staying in our room at GCH would be fine -requested DCA view just to use up banked pts ;)

DVC2000

I don't know if you have ever stayed there before, but you will LOVE the GCH. I think it is arguably the best Disney resort company wide.

Have fun!

We went in Sept 2000 and spent all of 3 hours there and left. We went back to Disneyland for the day. The rides were dirty, the grounds were disgusting, so many rides were down for repair (seemed more were down than open), filthy bathrooms,etc...etc...etc...
Also, it is not a plus sized friendly place at all, so if you are pooh sized, stay away! It can be embarrassing!
We did have the chicken dinner and enjoyed that. I would save your money and go for dinner and another day at Disneyland!

I still love the Chicken House, but I would agree Knott's itself is not what it used to be. I used to enjoy going there because it was so much slower paced than Disney so it was a nice break once in awhile. I went with my niece earlier this year and it was so different. It is basically just a place for roller coasters. There isn't any ambience anymore. I didn't realize it had been sold so it makes more sense now.

dwelty said:
DVC2000

I don't know if you have ever stayed there before, but you will LOVE the GCH. I think it is arguably the best Disney resort company wide.

Have fun!

Thanks! We've been spoiled staying at GCH eversince we joined DVC summer of 2000 - came back from FL and made ressie for GCH - brand new hotel that time ;) never stayed at any other place since then - just the convenience of DCA entrance makes it worth all the pts - instead of paying so much for flying out to FL - we use most of our pts on GCH - next year though we'll make a trip home to FL - about time to visit Epcot again and hopefully our home resort Vero Beach ( never been yet) ;)

Thanks everyone for the heads up re Knotts - at least we know what to expect - who knows they might clean up a bit for the holidays :wizard: :confused3

I did not realize they had been bought, but it sure makes me understand why there was such pooooooooor service at all the places to eat inside the park last year. We only go when they offer the salute to the military, however their prices keep going up. Last year it was 5 bucks, now it is 10 bucks. . . still cheap, but that is the ONLY way I will go to knott's. Tis not worth the money. . . I do miss the ghost town aspects, heck me and DH renewed our vows on our 5th anniversary in a shotgun wedding, we had hoped to do it again at our 15th but realized last year it was closed :(

I agree that Knott's isn't on par with Disney, but I still like it. Last year I used the coupon in the Entertainment book and bought AP for the bargain brice of $75/year. That's quite a bit lower in price than our Disney AP which cost almost $500 for myself and my DD7.

We enjoy going to Knott's when it's not crowded. :grouphug: We avoid the summer and weekends. We really enjoy going to the park during the day in October (and late Sept.) when the park is already preparing for the Halloween Haunt and they are only open until 5:30. You almost have the park to yourself. And yes, the employees can be slow loading, but when you can ride, one of the best coasters in So. Cal. The Excelerator and only wait for about 5 minutes, or less, I don't mind so much.

My DD7 loves the rides in Camp Snoopy and one day, just after Labor day, she rode over 26 rides in one day! :thumbsup2

Again, the park isn't up to par with Disney, but who is? :confused3 Unlike other posters here, we have never seen dirty bathrooms, etc. so maybe we've been lucky.

Also, we don't eat in the Chicken Restaurant (too $$) but we do get chicken to-go from next door and eat it outside at the tables provided. We always ask for the chicken to be brought from the kitchen (an employee told us this tip) and that way we always get hot chicken. I love their chicken wings. :goodvibes

I guess to each their own. If I was traveling to this area and only had a few days, I would stay at Disney the whole time. However, if you have the time, check out Knott's. I know we like it better than Universal Hollywood-which has very little for small ones to do.

Any one else on this board feel that Knott's has really gone down hill over the last few years.

Yes, I completely agree. I grew up in Southern CA in the 60s-70s and Knotts was my favorite theme park. It was clean, uncrowded, and had nice rides and attractions (we used to love panning for gold). Last time I went, several years ago, it was dirty and run down, to say the least. I have not been back since.

It started going downhill the moment Cedar Fair (Cedar Point) bought it from the Knott family. :( I grew up in LA and remember when you didn't have to pay admission, only for rides at Knott's. Much of the "charm" and history of the park was gone when I visited in 2001.

My dh, dd, and I have gone everyone year for the past 2 years and we are going again on the 25th. It is nothing compared to Disney but we still have a great time. We havent come across dirty bathrooms, or trash everywhere. We get the law enforcement discount so you cant beat the price. :)

Rachel

We went Dec last year.
We found it to be dirty, poorly serviced. There were also tons of teens/young adults hanging around being loud and obnoxious with their yelling and bad language.
We kept saying 'wow, this sure isn't Disney!'

But there were neat parts of it too. We loved the chicken dinner, the kids thought panning for gold was fun. The rides were okay, too crazy for me, but DH loved the roller coasters! The ambience was neat. It isn't Disney, but it is okay for one day. I would suggest not going on a weekend though, to avoid the teen crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter