Knotts going down hill

I lived in Buena Park for a while growing up and Knotts was always a fun place to go on some rides and not fight the crowds of Disneyland. Now it looks like they are trying to cram as much as possible into a little space.

On another note, are the parachutes still there? I used to love them.

On another note, are the parachutes still there? I used to love them.

The parachutes are long gone. I used to love them SOOOOO much.

It is sad to hear how downhill it has gone. I was last there in 2001, and while not as special as I remember it back in the 80's/early 90s, it was still ok.

I sure do love the wooden coaster though. That was a must!

The only thing I think is stupid about Knotts is their new water ride. They have this water ride that they claim has the steepest drop I think??in the west. I can't remember the name, but it opened a couple years ago. They strap you in and then you get ready to go off...I touched my chest belt. Touched it. Thats it. They stopped the ride as we were going up the lift!!! Then they came and re fastened my belt, even though I hadnt even messed with it enough that it would make me fall out! Then they yelled at me saying if I touched it again, I would get kicked off the ride. Exuse me?? We went up and down. And we got absoulety soaked. It was the dumbest lamest ride in all the west. lol. There was NO fun involved and they made such a big deal about how it was the best, plus the operators were so rude they left me shaking. It lowered my respect for Knotts.

The parachutes are long gone. I used to love them SOOOOO much.

It is sad to hear how downhill it has gone. I was last there in 2001, and while not as special as I remember it back in the 80's/early 90s, it was still ok.

I sure do love the wooden coaster though. That was a must!

KBF was sued for an incident on the parachutes where no one got hurt. Cedar Fair took over around that time and thought it would be better just to take it out and not deal with the ride. The lawsuit had nothing to do with it but was a great excuse to take it out. I think they wanted to put another ride in its place but there was another group who raised their voices about the tower being taken down.

Anyway, my kids are <1, 3 and 4. I'd bring them in again just because Camp Snoopy was fun for them. I wouldn't go unless it was Haunt but that's debatable now just because I've reached a certain point where I fell like I'm too old to enjoy it. I used to work there (and yes I was a former DL CM as well). I was there when the Knott family still owed it and ran it. They were great and they treated their employees well even though we complained (then again who doesn't). I left about 2 years after Cedar Fair took over and I saw how employee moral just went down the tube and even the rides. Yes, KBF didnt' have as much as DL but it was just enough to keep everyone happy and leave that atmosphere that everyone remembered growing up. I know a lot of retirees loved working there but once Cedar Fair took over, its like they weeded them out. BTW- I wasn't just a front line when I was there...I was a bit more involved to know what was going on.

Anyway, I am not surprised that the employees are rude or anything like that. That was the atmosphere Cedar Fair came in with and it just rubbed off to everyone working there.

Oh and word of advice to everyone who would like to go...you NEVER pay full admission price to go in. There is ALWAYS a discount or promotion being offered.

Anyone know of a link that lists the different menu items offered at Knotts, along with their prices?

I've heard good things about this chicken dinner but have no info about prices or anything. Can someone help?

I'm a compulsive planner and need this!

I was ay Knotts on June 7th and I totally agree: It is very run down. I will not be going back. Now Magic Mountain has been spruced up alot! It looked so much better when I was there last month. I am a Season Pass Holder to MM.

On our trip to DL last year, we did one day at Knotts. N E V E R A G A I N !!

Not only was it run down, dirty, and poorly staffed, my son had a terrifying experience at Camp Snoopy. He was 4 at the time, and was running from ride to ride. His one "thing" was that he was terrified of "spinny" type rides and anything that puts him high in the air. We were very proud of him for trying so many new things at Camp Snoopy! Well ... we see a school bus ride and he runs for it just as the ride is about to start. I ran behind him, watched him get in, stepped back AND THEN saw the signage. AND THEN saw that the school bus was not a gentle rocking back/forth ride ... but rather a platform that raises high up in the air and drops, then swings back around again and again. The ride operator was about to push the button and I told him that my son had to get off or he would completely freak out.... that it was totally my fault for not seeing the sign before letting him on (DS was just so excited to see a school bus he ran straight for it!). He should have been able to tell from the panicky look on my face that I had made a HUGE mistake allowing my son onto that ride.

THE OPERATOR REFUSED TO LET MY SON OFF THE RIDE. :mad: He started the ride, my son started screaming in terror and yelling "I WANT OFF I WANT OFF MOOMMMMYYY!!!". I was livid. I MEAN ABSOLUTELY LIVID. :furious: It took another child's very buff father threatening to wipe the floor with this obnoxious teenage operator before he would stop the ride. All of the other people watching were yelling at the operator, and he just WOULD NOT stop the ride. Finally he stopped the ride, my son ran bawling into my arms and the other guests behind him wanting to "talk" to the operator. Right after he stopped the ride, the phone rang at his booth, then "management" came over to talk with him.

This kid was gone from Camp Snoopy for the rest of the day (I hope he was fired) ... but my son was scared of rides for the rest of our trip. We did Knott's on the first day of our 6 day trip, with 5 days of DL to follow. He cried in line at every other ride until we finally got him to warm up with Peter Pan at DL.

My fault for not watching the signage better, yes. But there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for starting the ride with my son on it. It's not like there was some mechanism that would only "undo" itself after the ride stopped. He just didn't WANT to help us.

Wow...this thread has me really depressed. We are going to Knott's on the Tuesday right after Veteran's Day this November. I haven't been there since 2000 and although the park was beginning to change into more of a 6-Flags than of the old Knott's, it was still a pretty good park.

Oh well...we've got some younger people going with us and they're sure to enjoy the new rides....me...as long as I get to go on the Log Ride a few dozen times, I think I'll enjoy myself. ;) (Hopefully their refurbishment will be done by then.) I also enjoy the "old frontier" part of the park.

By the way...I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of safety restraints they use on Ghostrider. I'm a Pooh-Sized woman and I can't ride a lot of the rollercoasters in regular amusement parks. :rolleyes1

I easily rode Dueling Dragons, the Hulk and the Mummy at IOA and Universal in Florida, but can't remember if I had any difficulty riding Ghostrider.

We were really disappointed in Knotts. We ended up staying for 2.5/3 hours. We found it dirty, run down and very expensive. I paid $19.00 for 4 slurpees which at home would cost me $6.00. I know things get over inflated in theme parks but come on that was rediculous. There was no way I was going to pay $9.00 for a bloody kids meal. We ate at TGIF and left and went back to DL where the kids rode more rides than they did at Knotts in the same amount of time in the evening no less. We will never never go back. It was an over stated fair if you ask me. I guess we are just spoiled by Disney.

I live near Cedar Point. We think CP is a great, clean park. Im so disappointed to hear all of this.

We get free season passes to Geauga Lake. They didnt do anything this year to make the park look better. Not even a cheap coat of paint that is needed in some areas. I was very surprised they didnt do anything!

I live near Cedar Point. We think CP is a great, clean park. Im so disappointed to hear all of this.

We get free season passes to Geauga Lake. They didnt do anything this year to make the park look better. Not even a cheap coat of paint that is needed in some areas. I was very surprised they didnt do anything!

We heard that GL went downhill, so we tried CP for the 1st time last month...LOVED IT!:banana: very clean, surprised to see most of the ride operators were from out of the country - they seemed enthusiastic & very polite.:thumbsup2 trying to talk DH into the Halloween festivities - do they put on a good show?

back to topic - disappointed to hear Knotts gets bad reviews, even moreso the ones i've read hear for Universal:sad1: starting to think we should just visit DL for 4 or 5 days & drive to Vegas to finish our trip out west.:confused:

The really sad part about this is the fact that when the Knott family sold to Cedar Point, the park was in excellent condition. Cedar park took over, closed down a bunch of the historical section, and focused on roller coasters. They have let everything else slide. It is just line the Carnival type places that Walt Disney hated. I would be suprised to see this park still running in 10 years.

I think if you go with the attitude that it's about the thrill coasters, and not expect the ambiance like disney, nor the same courtesy, you'll enjoy it. You just can't go thinking it's going to be on par with Disney. It's not. It never will be. Disney is unlike anything else. KBF is fun, if you go with the right attitude. Though when dh and I go, we'll be going without the kiddos - they're 3 & 5, and can't ride any coasters, and we don't want to spend all of our time in Camp Snoopy!

At one stage of my life, I once considered KBF a near equal to Disney. In the 70's and 80's, it was about the ghost town, the live entertainment, the educational facets, the food. KBF was a fantastic day out. Fast forward to Ceder Point buying it - they rip out the soul, most of the education (there seems to be no info on the Independence Hall exibit on their website), rip out a church to build a coaster.

Therefore we will stay away on our upcoming invasion. We will pop over for chicken and pie, but that is it. Such a shame, as I have years of awesome memories as a kid.

Anyone have any info on visiting the Independence Hall at KBF?

We were at the 'ghetto disneyland" 2 years ago, my kids liked it but i was very unimpressed. it was hard to find a 'cm' to help us with directions, the bathrooms were dirty and unpleasant smelling. we went to have lunch at one of the restaurants near camp snoopy, we were 3rd in line and waited 45 minutes! my children were hungry and didn't want to go somewhere else, i was so upset about that.

the shopping area was interesting, i met someone who specialized in making dog clothes, that was neat. looking at the jewelry was fun, too. the funnel cakes were 'ok'.

we had dinner at the 'famous' chicken dinner restaurant. it was okay. the waitress asked me when my due date was ( i was not pregnant, and i was not overweight either). i've had better chicken.

we're skipping knotts this year and going to magic mountain!!:thumbsup2

I always liked KBF, thought it was a nice park with a great log ride (also loved the soapbox derby and parachute ride but oh well). We also enjoyed the entertainment. No its not disney, but its still a decent park IMO. I guess it boils down to what your looking for, and if your going to be dissapointed with a day at six flags while also doing disney, then there is no way that KBF will stand up to the scrutiny. Still if we make it out there this summer we will spend a day at KBF.

I think if you go with the attitude that it's about the thrill coasters, and not expect the ambiance like disney, nor the same courtesy, you'll enjoy it. You just can't go thinking it's going to be on par with Disney. It's not. It never will be. Disney is unlike anything else. KBF is fun, if you go with the right attitude. Though when dh and I go, we'll be going without the kiddos - they're 3 & 5, and can't ride any coasters, and we don't want to spend all of our time in Camp Snoopy!

Yes, it's a thrill coaster park, but there is NO excuse for filthy restrooms at any park.

So would Knott's Berry Farm be good for two Adults to go and ride the Rollercoasters have a chicken dinner then go home then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter