• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Land Border Opening?

I mean, it's not 10 million but it's more than a trickle.
We all really hope so. I know that if I hadn't found out about AZ being offered at a local Shoppers last month here in this forum, I would still be waiting for my first shot of Pfizer. I'm over 50 and the supply here has not kept up with demand. We are repeatedly told by our local health unit to remain patient and that the vaccine supply will improve in the near future. Think most of us want that future to happen sooner rather than later. I don't have any interest in politics on this thread and imagine most posters here don't either. Have always hoped that more vaccines in arms has been our one common goal. The goal posts need to stop moving and promised vaccines need to be delivered.

@bcwife76 we could certainly use those AZ for second doses for those who want them. I'm afraid they are going to run out of AZ before they are able to offer it to everyone who had a first dose. Not too sure about each of the other alternatives for the second shot otherwise.

They stated over the weekend that you can’t mix vaccines, they have to be like for like, so for AZ if there is none then you can have J&J and if you havePfizer then you can have Moderna but not AZ and then Pfizer. They better be sending more AZ since they have over a million people vaccinated with it.

They stated over the weekend that you can’t mix vaccines, they have to be like for like, so for AZ if there is none then you can have J&J and if you havePfizer then you can have Moderna but not AZ and then Pfizer. They better be sending more AZ since they have over a million people vaccinated with it.
Not sure of other provinces, but Ontario already has enough set aside of AZ for 2nd doses for all those who got 1 shot already. They will not offer and more 1st doses of AZ unless it is over and above the amount set aside as 2nd dose.

Who said? There are lots of studies coming out that say that mixing produces a really potent immune response.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

Not sure of other provinces, but Ontario already has enough set aside of AZ for 2nd doses for all those who got 1 shot already. They will not offer and more 1st doses of AZ unless it is over and above the amount set aside as 2nd dose.
Do you have a source for this information re the stockpile of AZ in Ontario. I was just listening to a discussion with the head of the pharmacy assoc. in Ontario and he said they have approx 50,000 doses of AZ to dish out before the end of the month. Others will be coming to the province but we will be waiting until late June through August for those.

Who said? There are lots of studies coming out that say that mixing produces a really potent immune response.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3
So this is where I am getting confused ( and very very frustrated to be honest ). As recently as this morning I saw two news sources reporting we are very close to the results of the mixing trials and recommendations on mixing are imminent.

However NACI recommended on the weekend that we should get vaccine of the same type for both shots.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/toronto...-shot-vaccine-when-it-comes-to-2nd-doses/amp/
Add in supply concerns and we’re still playing the vaccine hunger games and it’s getting tiresome. I fully appreciate what a massive undertaking this is . I’m just hoping for more consistency in messages to the public .

So this is where I am getting confused ( and very very frustrated to be honest ). As recently as this morning I saw two news sources reporting we are very close to the results of the mixing trials and recommendations on mixing are imminent.

However NACI recommended on the weekend that we should get vaccine of the same type for both shots.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/toronto...-shot-vaccine-when-it-comes-to-2nd-doses/amp/
Add in supply concerns and we’re still playing the vaccine hunger games and it’s getting tiresome. I fully appreciate what a massive undertaking this is . I’m just hoping for more consistency in messages to the public .

It is tiresome since in that article it is stated, "An mRNA vaccine in place of a second AstraZeneca shot may be an option, but NACI is waiting on more data." and then it goes on to talk about the study from Spain and the UK ...

"A Spanish study released initial results last week showing a second dose of Pfizer for AstraZeneca recipients produced a stronger immune response, but more information is pending.

A U.K. study earlier this month found that the same sequence produced some stronger initial side effects, but that they were temporary and mixing the vaccines was deemed safe. Further data on whether the blend yields similar or better results than two doses of the same vaccine is expected in a few weeks."

I've really appreciated all the updated information on this thread and its been a huge help to me. But think I'm going to take a step back for at least a few days as I've noticed I'm growing very cranky. I'm sure its just frustration talking. It's 100% on me and no one else. But a little break is maybe good for the soul. :hug:

We still can't get enough vaccine quickly enough in certain regions of the country. Ottawa as an example if you need one. People here, if they are able to get an appointment, are having to wait right now until the end of June for that shot. There are still nearly 500,000 people who would like shots who have to wait to get appointments. Yes we are getting vaccine but it is slow in some areas.

Definitely! I was able to book my teen daughter for an appointment on the day when the provincial portal opened to 12+ for June 1 at a clinic within walking distance of our home. Meanwhile I have friends north of Ottawa who have had appointments booked for weeks -- also for June 1! Doesn't seem right.

If you read it the US side will open but the rules won't be changing for coming back into Canada. Meaning the 14 day quarantine will still be in place.
I'm ok with that (obviously would prefer not to). And I have a feeling/guess that the quarantine for vaccinated people could change or go away.

Agreed but probably not til we reach 75% vaccinated. At best you're looking at fall for that to happen.

That number is so interesting to me, we keep saying it but when you look at the US, which I don't think will ever reach 75% vaccinated, their cases have dropped dramatically. So maybe they will reassess the 75% at some point. Though I do also hope we reach that number if possible.

Maybe we will get lucky and that 60% with one dose that Ontario is aiming for as Step 1 will be reached and we can open the border... or not. Who can say since they won't give us the benchmarks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter