Lanyard question

MUDoc81

Earning My Ears
WDW experienced visitor, new to DL. So definite newbie with the paper ticket, possible lanyard vs. phone situation. I've read that using paper ticket in lanyard is faster than scanning phone for larger groups when entering rides. However, we have E-tickets. Just curious about the logistics, do we print these E-tickets and scan those, do we exchange them for some form of "hard ticket" when we redeem them?

If it helps, we have a party of 5. DH and myself, DS who is 10, but has Autism and doesn't like to wear things around neck, DD who is 8 and wants to be independent, but might not trust with a ticket and DS who is 5 and will want to be like his sister.

Are lanyards worth the hassle, possible loss? I already added tickets in the Disneyland App. Is it necessary/worth printing them as well? We bought tickets from Undercover Tourist, but plan to upgrade at Guest Services under the new promo when we arrive if it helps answer the question.

A "hard ticket" will print when you first enter, any entrance at either park. Hard ticket is used to pull fast passes at the fastpass machines, hard ticket or app ticket on phone can be used to enter fastpass line.
Using one phone for all tickets works well. Lanyards are a personal preference (I use one), but are not needed.

We don't use lanyards, and we don't give the kids their tickets... mainly because the 14yo is pretty distractable, and the 7yo grandson is high-functioning ASD and picks at anything different or new. We have a little men's wallet for the paper tickets, and just pull them out when it's time to use them at the scanners (which are pretty much like the magic band scanners at WDW). As the previous poster said, the gate will print you a paper ticket when you first enter the park, which you can use for legacy (paper) fastpasses, and Fantasmic/show FPs. You can also do Max Pass ($10/per person) that will allow you to do FPs on your phone through the app.

We keep the whole family’s tickets together. One parent scans them all. That’s what’s faster. Bing, bing, bing at the scanner. Not each individual scanning.

We keep the whole family’s tickets together. One parent scans them all. That’s what’s faster. Bing, bing, bing at the scanner. Not each individual scanning.

Same. I keep all tickets all the time, and also have them on the app. I do hand them out for entering the park now that my kids are older. But I get them right back.

The reason one or the other is faster depends on the group scanning and how they're scanning. I've seen some quick groups. I've seen many slow groups.

Large groups tend to block the other scanner(s). Mostly on accident. I've seen a couple times on purpose to stop smaller groups from "cutting" (and give me dirty looks when I indicate to the CM to request they move over so I can reach the scanner). I still think physical tickets scan the best over phone because the hang up there can be anything from brightness to a hiccup with things loading in time to scan.

I don't have anyone with me that can't be trusted with their own ticket when I go and I believe it is faster because you can utilize ALL the scanners at once for your whole group. So instead of one bing-bing-bing, it's bingbing-bingbing (so depending on number of scanners, you can get at least two scanned at once instead of one). It doesn't work for all groups, though, especially those with ones who can't look after their own ticket. In your case, I would not let the little ones have their tickets all the time .Only at the scan point if they really wanted to, but even then I would just scan a little one's.

Whatever you choose, just make sure your group doesn't block the other scanner if you aren't using it.

I personally use a lanyard, by the way. But make sure things are sturdy. I found a lost ticket in a lanyard pouch that had ripped off in a Space vehicle due to cheap plastic (I did turn it into lost & found, of course). I would rather have a magic band to be honest. Even though mine is sturdy, I'm always grabbing it regularly to make sure it's there.

Do whatever is safer and faster for your family. Don't do whatever will risk losing the tickets or block the scanners and hold up the lines for other guests. When the FP return lines back up, often it is because of groups that line up horizontally across all the scanners, blocking anyone else from getting through the lines. For safety back up, take photos of each hard ticket when you get them at the turnstiles. Make sure to have a clear image of the bar code on the back of each ticket. Then, in case a ticket gets lost or stolen, you will have a much easier time gettng a replacement at Guest Services when you can show them the photo of the ticket/s in question. We've had DISers report that they were able to replace lost tickets very easily by showing the photos to Guest Services.

I was the ticket holder / phone maxpass maker for my Adult group of 4. As I scanned each ticket in from my phone I told them to walk through. This helped us keep the line moving.

I used to wear the lanyard but found that I just used the phone. So my last trip I didn't use the lanyard at all. If you decide to use a your phone. Be sure to bring an extra external battery. the Disneyland apps drains your phone battery.

I'm also used to WDW and my trip last week/earlier this week was my first trip to DL since 2012 (so first experience with maxpass and the DL app). I thought of using lanyards and had brought one along with me, but never used it as it was so convenient to just use the DL app.

Park entrance - I would just tell the CM that there were 3 of us, then she'd scan all 3 tickets from my phone (checking face/photo for each ticket) and we'd all walk through after.

Fastpass entry - again, just tell the CM there were 3 of us, then scan all 3 fastpasses together (bing bing bing) and all 3 of us walk through. I didn't have any issues scanning fastpasses from my phone at all.

(Personally for me - Magic Bands >> DL app > lanyard. I especially missed my Magic Band with photopass photos...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter