Lasseter Taking Sabbatical over "Missteps"

Let's not get too deep in our Disney bubble...of course Iger knew. This behavior is an open secret in every facet of the entertainment business.

Not everything is an "open secret". This knee-jerk cynicism that everyone knew and tried to hide it is based on nothingness.

I totally understood what you meant. People like to be obtuse with stuff like this.
I don’t think it’s obtuse and I don’t think penning an apology is the same as admitting wrongdoing or taking responsibility.

Not everything is an "open secret". This knee-jerk cynicism that everyone knew and tried to hide it is based on nothingness.
...there are too many stories and John Lassiter is too big a player for it not to have been I feel like. People may have thought it was just rumor like Weinstein but bottom line is it's poor leadership

The one article linked earlier seem so to indicate this has been well known for a long time. I think it’s the Hollywood Reporter article.

I don’t think it’s obtuse and I don’t think penning an apology is the same as admitting wrongdoing or taking responsibility.

I guess I am just different but I feel this paragraph here takes some responsibility and admitting of wrongdoing.

I’ve recently had a number of difficult conversations that have been very painful for me. It’s never easy to face your missteps, but it’s the only way to learn from them. As a result, I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the leader I am today compared to the mentor, advocate and champion I want to be. It’s been brought to my attention that I have made some of you feel disrespected or uncomfortable. That was never my intent. Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form. No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.

I guess I am just different but I feel this paragraph here takes some responsibility and admitting of wrongdoing.

I’ve recently had a number of difficult conversations that have been very painful for me. It’s never easy to face your missteps, but it’s the only way to learn from them. As a result, I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the leader I am today compared to the mentor, advocate and champion I want to be. It’s been brought to my attention that I have made some of you feel disrespected or uncomfortable. That was never my intent. Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form. No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.
I see where you are coming from. We can agree to disagree. I think this is more lawyer created than honest reflection of his behavior. It’s spin doctors on damage control because this could cost millions, if not billions in lost revenue and settlements.

That's b/c everyone's statements have been horrendous...being the best of the worst is not a good thing...

No, his statement should have said...
"I was wrong. 100% wrong. I am guilty of everything I am accused of. I am willing to stand trial for my crimes both civilly and criminally. I will pay whatever restitution and serve whatever time my crimes deserved. I feel so, so sorry for the pain and anguish I have inflicted on so many. I can never take back that caused pain, but I can work, for the rest of my life, to try to make the lives of my victims and other victims of similar abuse better. That will never be enough."

That's a good statement...that's one I'll believe that someone wants to repent vs trying to get ahead of getting outed...

I don't think you see statements like this because most of these people don't think that they have done anything that wrong. It's a culture that has been going on for decades in most of corporate America.

I see where you are coming from. We can agree to disagree. I think this is more lawyer created than honest reflection of his behavior. It’s spin doctors on damage control because this could cost millions, if not billions in lost revenue and settlements.
I can believe that too.

We can definitely agree to disagree.

"Another former insider remembers awkward encounters with Lasseter, who liked — as many in the industry do — to hug in meetings. “You’d hug him and he’s whisper in your ear, a long time,” this person says. “He hugged and hugged and everyone’s looking at you. Just invading the space.”"

See now, that's just screwing up hugs for the rest of us, people that know what a solid heart-felt non-creepy hug is supposed to be. Nice job, Lassie!

The later part is ok in that he at least admit to doing some specific acts (though sort of minimizes things compared to some of the reports) ... but I still hate how it leads with "that have been very painful to me" - I don't care if it was painful to you - no way it was a fraction of how painful it was to the victims

I don't think you see statements like this because most of these people don't think that they have done anything that wrong. It's a culture that has been going on for decades in most of corporate America.

I think this is a good point. Today a lot of things aren't accepted as right. Spanking a child for example is highly debated whereas 30 years ago not as much. Same goes for the teaching sphere. Teachers back in the 70s and 80s were allowed to really yell at a student and almost get in their face when that student misbehaved. Today that teacher would be fired. Of course any misconduct done today should not happen. However 30-40 years ago I feel culture was different in where things happened that wouldn't be able to happen today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter