Lasseter Taking Sabbatical over "Missteps"

I think that is it. The Hollywood Reporter made it seem as if she left because of misconduct but that is not the case. She brought another case forward though. The lack of diversity at Pixar is definitely noticeable.
I’ve never looked into the diversity issue but I have no doubt it exists. I’m convinced regardless of the harassment claim, that John has a drug and or alcohol issue that he’s at least partially addrsssing with this

Aren't sabbaticals usually with pay? Is he getting paid during this time?

Yes, sabbaticals are usually with pay. However, we don't know if he is being paid during this time.

Sadly, there have been several threads across the boards on this general topic lately--Weinstein, Yehaa Bob, and now Lasseter. Understandably, people have very strong feelings, particularly when it can essentially be a "she says-he says" issue with dated or varying accounts of the incidents themselves. Victims have long been dismissed and that can not be tolerated. However, the accused should at least be heard, since the facts may not be clear and perceptions may differ. It is sometimes difficult to know how to feel and who to "blame."

Personally, I form a gut feeling based on the nature and number of complaints, the accused's reactions, and the source of the stories. I sometimes then consider if I would want my daughter working for the accused. In the Lasseter case, it is a big NO! I doubt there will be anything prosecutable, and Disney may even have trouble finding a clear basis for dismissal without some brave women coming forward, but my gut feeling says this dude is a creep. Talented? Sure! A huge rainmaker for Disney? Absolutely! But until I learn more, I will avoid enriching this guy with more of my money. He won't miss it. Disney won't miss it. But if these complaints prove legit, and if Disney/Pixar tolerated this behavior, then I think they should feel some pain, and I can only do my small part.

Sadly, there have been several threads across the boards on this general topic lately--Weinstein, Yehaa Bob, and now Lasseter. Understandably, people have very strong feelings, particularly when it can essentially be a "she says-he says" issue with dated or varying accounts of the incidents themselves. Victims have long been dismissed and that can not be tolerated. However, the accused should at least be heard, since the facts may not be clear and perceptions may differ. It is sometimes difficult to know how to feel and who to "blame."

Personally, I form a gut feeling based on the nature and number of complaints, the accused's reactions, and the source of the stories. I sometimes then consider if I would want my daughter working for the accused. In the Lasseter case, it is a big NO! I doubt there will be anything prosecutable, and Disney may even have trouble finding a clear basis for dismissal without some brave women coming forward, but my gut feeling says this dude is a creep. Talented? Sure! A huge rainmaker for Disney? Absolutely! But until I learn more, I will avoid enriching this guy with more of my money. He won't miss it. Disney won't miss it. But if these complaints prove legit, and if Disney/Pixar tolerated this behavior, then I think they should feel some pain, and I can only do my small part.

I largely agree with this - When there are so many complaints, it would be hard for them to all be "made up for personal gain" or something ... a bit of the "where there is smoke there is fire" ... and I have trouble believing he would voluntarily take this leave of absence if at least a lot of it was true.

I struggle with how to react - while it certainly lessens my excitement to go see Coco, I am not sure if I will see it or not. He wasn't directly a creator of it and so many other people (men and women) worked really hard on it and their vision should be seen and appreciated for what it is. This is something I struggle with a lot - be it now John Lasseter, or Diego Rivera, or Orson Scott Card, or Casey Affleck, or countless others that have a negative aspect to them as a person - can you separate the art from the artist and appreciate the former while thinking negative of the later?

I just thought "sabbatical" was an interesting way to characterize this absence. Maybe they expect him to still contribute or develop new material while gone, and if that's the case, it seems like a sham. If it's really a leave, then call it a leave.

It is an interesting word choice - I took it to connect to the point that he is the one electing to take this, that he initiated it, whereas "leave" would imply the company initiated it (at least that is how I would see it)

It is an interesting word choice - I took it to connect to the point that he is the one electing to take this, that he initiated it, whereas "leave" would imply the company initiated it (at least that is how I would see it)
That's a good point. I am interested to see if he goes and seeks any sort of help at least for his probable drinking problem. A lot of these stories seem to stem from him being under the influence at the time.

Interesting. But I don't see a leave as either side initiating it. But the leave I'm most familiar with is maternity, which is definitely not company initiated.

I largely agree with this - When there are so many complaints, it would be hard for them to all be "made up for personal gain" or something ... a bit of the "where there is smoke there is fire" ... and I have trouble believing he would voluntarily take this leave of absence if at least a lot of it was true.

I struggle with how to react - while it certainly lessens my excitement to go see Coco, I am not sure if I will see it or not. He wasn't directly a creator of it and so many other people (men and women) worked really hard on it and their vision should be seen and appreciated for what it is. This is something I struggle with a lot - be it now John Lasseter, or Diego Rivera, or Orson Scott Card, or Casey Affleck, or countless others that have a negative aspect to them as a person - can you separate the art from the artist and appreciate the former while thinking negative of the later?

The bolded is certainly a difficult question, and one it seems I must deal with more and more frequently. However, it is much easier with issues like sexual misconduct and how "the artist" directly treats their co-workers and subordinates.

We may never get more details, and I know Disney is in a bad spot, but I will be interested to see how they react going forward. I saw their statement about "committed to maintaining a respectful work environment," but I expect more. I think my expectations come from my respect for Disney and my hopes they will do the right thing here, whatever that may ultimately prove to be.

Interesting. But I don't see a leave as either side initiating it. But the leave I'm most familiar with is maternity, which is definitely not company initiated.

that's true - guess I am thinking of other situations like this where the statement is more "we are placing {so and so} on leave" which comes from the company. But you make a good point

That's a good point. I am interested to see if he goes and seeks any sort of help at least for his probable drinking problem. A lot of these stories seem to stem from him being under the influence at the time.

I don't want to give too much "credit" to the alcohol as that almost is giving him an excuse. it seems like even without it he was a creep and would cross boundaries/lines - but then when he drank he would go much further past the line

Sabbatical seems to imply that they are keeping the door open and seeing where the allegations go. I think it's more like, "John, go away for six months bye"

This is an interesting clip. This is Lasseter meeting Miyazaki, one of Japan's greatest animators. The Japanese Do. Not. Hug. And you can see how Miyazaki until the last minute keeps his hand outstretched for a handshake and John just ignores his body language.

https://i.imgur.com/IWJ19ht.gifv

I don't want to give too much "credit" to the alcohol as that almost is giving him an excuse. it seems like even without it he was a creep and would cross boundaries/lines - but then when he drank he would go much further past the line

Thank you for this post. It is not fair to those who have issues with alcohol or addiction who are physically harmless to everyone except themselves.

This is predatory behavior.

Sabbatical seems to imply that they are keeping the door open and seeing where the allegations go. I think it's more like, "John, go away for six months bye"

This is an interesting clip. This is Lasseter meeting Miyazaki, one of Japan's greatest animators. The Japanese Do. Not. Hug. And you can see how Miyazaki until the last minute keeps his hand outstretched for a handshake and John just ignores his body language.

https://i.imgur.com/IWJ19ht.gifv
Wince.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter