Lasseter Taking Sabbatical over "Missteps"

I have always been against hugging and such in the work place. I believe in the use of proxemics. Less than 18 inches is the intimate zone. 18 inches to 2.5 feet is personal zone, etc. It's just easier that way for me. Having said that, some women are huggers. If they come to me for a hug, I just kind of blade my body for a "side hug".

I have always been against hugging and such in the work place. I believe in the use of proxemics. Less than 18 inches is the intimate zone. 18 inches to 2.5 feet is personal zone, etc. It's just easier that way for me. Having said that, some women are huggers. If they come to me for a hug, I just kind of blade my body for a "side hug".

I'd like to think though that people can tell the difference between a friendly/congenial hug and something more predatory and sexual in nature - that said, just to be safe I always leave it up leave it up to the woman to initiate a hug

now it gets even more confusing when the co-worker is from Latin America and I always forget how many cheek kisses is customary as it varies by which country they are from

One thing I will say is he was hugging everyone, not just women. I am reminded of him coming running out at the D23 panel arms wide open to attack Bob Chapek with a bear hug. When he came out at the animation panel he had one of the girls hold his tshirt gun so he could give Alan Horn a big hug rather then settle for a half hug.
He's a serious hardcore hugger, that's for sure.

Yeah. When women have to invent a move called "the Lasseter" to keep his hands from going up their skirts....
Has there been more than one source claim this? Just curious. I'm not dismissing the one claim, it is enough. I'm just wondering if it is "women" vs "woman"

Wait, hugging is not allowed anymore???

Also, I always assumed that Lasseter was gay - I assume he's not then?

well, hugging I think is still ok -unless the person you are hugging does not want to be hugged - and for the workspace often safer to avoid .... but it is way more than hugging that is being reported

Well, John is married for many years 9they together own/run the winery) and they have 5 sons, so fairly confident he isn't gay (or at least he was closeted)

Wow.

He has been married to his wife Nancy for a long time.

This is not about hugs.

well, hugging I think is still ok -unless the person you are hugging does not want to be hugged - and for the workspace often safer to avoid

Well, John is married for many years 9they together own/run the winery) and they have 5 sons, so fairly confident he isn't gay (or at least he was closeted)

OK, I haven't looked into his personal life, my assumption was just based on having seen him interviewed etc. I've learned something new there then.

Hope he isn't guilty, he seems like a "hugger" to me.

It's more than hugging, and if someone doesn't want to be hugged, then that's not okay (and in the workplace...maybe just don't hug).

Also, what does his orientation have to do with anything??
OK, I haven't looked into his personal life, my assumption was just based on having seen him interviewed etc. I've learned something new there then.

Hope he isn't guilty, he seems like a "hugger" to me.
He himself sent out a memo explaining that he's taking a "sabbatical" due to his behavior.

It's more than hugging, and if someone doesn't want to be hugged, then that's not okay (and in the workplace...maybe just don't hug).

Also, what does his orientation have to do with anything??

He himself sent out a memo explaining that he's taking a "sabbatical" due to his behavior.
Well, my thinking was that, say a straight person hugs a person of the same sex as them, it's highly unlikely to be of a sexual nature.

I'm in the UK where quite a few of childhood figures in the public eye have now been exposed as sexual predators. A lot of it seemed to be the "pedestal" position the person was in and how others in the business either turned a blind eye or when they did comment were moved on (and out of the business). Jimmy Saville abused for years and was seen as invincible (his charity work making him untouchable - he knew it and even boasted about it). When he died and the allegations started to surface, it led to a floodgate. Those that knew claiming they felt "powerless to act" to save their careers.

How many other people in high positions of power have abused, feeling they were untouchable? Trumps comments about woman would have seen most employee sacked but he's still the president and it was "just banter" (uncomfortable laughs and change the subject).

Now however the "birds" have come home to roast so to speak and people are beginning to call it for what it is, unwanted sexual advances and if he's taking 6 months off, it's not because he hugs a bit too fiercely but because he's been inappropriate and is hoping it'll die down and go away in that time frame.

I guess I am just different but I feel this paragraph here takes some responsibility and admitting of wrongdoing.

I’ve recently had a number of difficult conversations that have been very painful for me. It’s never easy to face your missteps, but it’s the only way to learn from them. As a result, I’ve been giving a lot of thought to the leader I am today compared to the mentor, advocate and champion I want to be. It’s been brought to my attention that I have made some of you feel disrespected or uncomfortable. That was never my intent. Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form. No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.

To believe that this paragraph is sincere is to believe that the man was oblivious to the inappropriateness of his behaviour and the discomfort he was causing. And if that's true, I'm not sure the situation is improved. For someone to be alive in 2017 and in a position of power over others as Lasseter was, and to NOT understand that such an imbalance of influence demands a higher standard of behaviour from the person in control, suggests that the individual cannot be trusted with that level of authority.

Even if it was just causal hugging (and Lasseter's own words here suggest otherwise), that's still inappropriate office behaviour in the 21st century. And that's particularly true when the hugging or "other gesture" is directed from a high-level manager to an employee who may feel (rightly or otherwise) that her (or his) career is on the line.

With the release of Coco you’ve gotta think this is weighing down the movie. I wouldn’t be surprised if they get less money than projected for this reason.
People are definitely questioning seeing the movie now. I hope people think about the amazing talents that worked on the film though. Coco is not a Lasseter film so I feel it is unfair to Lee Unkrich and his team to not see the film.

People are definitely questioning seeing the movie now. I hope people think about the amazing talents that worked on the film though. Coco is not a Lasseter film so I feel it is unfair to Lee Unkrich and his team to not see the film.

But every movie out of Disney/Pixar animation is a Lasseter film b/c he runs it...he has a say in everything...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter