Last time you got a compliment from a complete stranger

About two years ago, I was in a meeting with an interior decorator. I was explaining what I was looking for in the way of drapes, when out of the blue, she said "You have beautiful eyes." I just said "Thank you" and carried on. It was so unexpected.

Two days ago I was chaperoning a band trip (two nonstop full days of band kids). I didn't know all of the moms because it was 6th grade through high school. A few of the younger kids moms thought one of the kids in my group, a kid with behavioral issues, was my son. When I told them who my actual son was, they were like, OHHHHHH he is a really good kid. So polite and thoughtful etc.

Yup, he really is a good kid.

I was also told on this trip, that I looked really tiny, which I don't, but I take that as a compliment as I lost some weight.

I got complimented on my dress twice today. It's a cheapo from Target (not as good as some of these finds ya'll've been talking about) I've had for a year, and apparently today was the day for compliments. I am having a really bad day with my balance, so maybe people just felt sorry for me?

The check out woman at the grocery store told me I smelled good. Other than being freshly showered I couldn't figure out why, then I realized DW has been putting some kind of scent in the laundry to give clothes a pleasant scent.

The cashier at Bealls asked the other day how old I was. I told her. And she stammered that all she meant was that she wanted to make sure I was old enough for the 40+ discount. I'm 53. I'll take it :)

I recently turned 60. DW is 58. About 8 years ago, the teen age cashier at a supermarket proudly announced that she gave DW and me the 5% Tuesday senior citizen (60+) discount. I was amused. DW was PO'd. The cashier must have taken a close look at DW. :duck:

In the Orlando area there are several salad bar cafeteria type restaurants called Sweet Tomatoes. About five years ago, I noticed on the receipt that the cashier gave us the 60+ discount. We didn't request it or anything. This time I was so furious I ALMOST stormed back to insist on paying full price. Almost. ;)

That would actually have sleeved me right out. I realize people are just trying to be nice or even just make conversation but to have a stranger comment on something so personal would make me uncomfortable. I’d probably have moved tables, unless of course I was on a hot streak. :laughing:

I hear you, but I’m 45. She was early 20s. I wasn’t leaving. :)

I didn’t have girls in their 20s compliment me on my soft skin when *I* was in my 20s.

A few weeks ago, someone said they liked the top I was wearing.

I rarely do that, I might think to myself that someone’s shirt is cute, but rarely tell them if they are a stranger. So it surprised me when a stranger said she liked mine.
You shouldn't be afraid to say it! I have started doing this in the last couple years. I think it's nice to build up other ladies--it's tough being a woman! I'll drop random compliments on women I see when I'm out and about, usually about accessories like shoes or jewelry or purse. I hope it makes them feel good :) There are a bunch of ladies that I work with that do this too, and I always feel better about myself when they make a nice comment about my appearance when we cross paths in the hall.

This has happened more than once. People comment on my feet. They're small. Last person to comment saw me trying on shoes in a store recently and said, "Gosh...you have the tiniest little feet. They look like little fairy feet. I'd love to have little feet like that." It's a little embarrassing but I always thank the people. They should see my DD's feet! Much smaller than mine.

Four times in LA last week. I don't know why I find that bizarre :laughing:- I guess I am a tad prejudiced against those who live in Los Angeles. :drinking1

Even though I am not remotely extroverted I give compliments to strangers every now and then. If I think something strongly enough, I won't hesitate.

Last edited:
Four times in LA last week. I don't know why I find that bizarre :laughing:- I guess I am a tad prejudiced against those who live in Los Angeles. :drinking1

Even though I am not remotely extroverted I give compliments to strangers every now and then. If I think something strongly enough, I won't hesitate.
YOU predjudiced! Lol.
You desrerve the compliments Lisa. You are one of nicest people I know.

I get compliments on my shoes regularly which I love. And I recently lost some weight and have been getting some compliments on that lately. My husband also told me he liked the dress I was wearing the other day... but i was bent over my work bag packing my lunch so I’m unsure if it was actually the dress he was commenting on :rotfl:

I usually just get complimented on my dog when we're out on walks. He is awfully cute... but then he barks at them.

YOU predjudiced! Lol.

The ability to have insight into our own character flaws, and misguided and erroneous thoughts, is one totally underrated quality. :drinking1;)

So yep I was slightly prejudiced. And yep I will admit it.

Try it! You'll like it! :laughing: It really won't hurt.

Thank you for the compliment. Sweet.

Last edited:
I recently turned 60. DW is 58. About 8 years ago, the teen age cashier at a supermarket proudly announced that she gave DW and me the 5% Tuesday senior citizen (60+) discount. I was amused. DW was PO'd. The cashier must have taken a close look at DW. :duck:

In the Orlando area there are several salad bar cafeteria type restaurants called Sweet Tomatoes. About five years ago, I noticed on the receipt that the cashier gave us the 60+ discount. We didn't request it or anything. This time I was so furious I ALMOST stormed back to insist on paying full price. Almost. ;)
When my DH turned 55 ten years ago I got a big kick out of asking if places gave senior's discounts. $2 is $2 - right, and I found it kind of hilarious to bug him a little bit. Now that I'm within a couple of years of being there myself I'm not sure what I ever found funny about it - KWIM? :upsidedow (I'll still take the discount when I'm eligible though because $2 is $2.)
You shouldn't be afraid to say it! I have started doing this in the last couple years. I think it's nice to build up other ladies--it's tough being a woman! I'll drop random compliments on women I see when I'm out and about, usually about accessories like shoes or jewelry or purse. I hope it makes them feel good :) There are a bunch of ladies that I work with that do this too, and I always feel better about myself when they make a nice comment about my appearance when we cross paths in the hall.
:flower3: You seem like a very sweet person and I'm sure your intentions come from a good place. Personally though, I find the idea of strangers observing me to be very uncomfortable. I like to assume nobody is paying attention; if that wasn't the case I'd be waaaay more self-conscious. :blush:

The ability to have insight into our own character flaws, and misguided and erroneous thoughts, is one totally underrated quality. :drinking1;)

So yep I was slightly prejudiced. And yep I will admit it.

Try it! You'll like it! :laughing: It really won't hurt.

Thank you for the compliment. Sweet.
I'm am happy to have inspired you!

Mine was last week! I was going through the drive thru and had the AC gently blowing on me. When the worker handed me my drink, she said, "WOW, you have gorgeous hair!!! The way it is blowing around, you could be in a shampoo commercial on TV!!!" I was totally flattered!! The young lady worker looked to be a teenager/early 20's and I am 52, so quite a compliment!! And seven years ago, I was completely bald from chemo and it took a good two years for me to even need a haircut after chemo ended, so to get a complement on my hair was pretty special!!!

I was having a minor procedure done not too long ago, which I was being a big baby about lol

As she was finishing, the doctor looked at my eyes and said "Your have the prettiest color eyes - has anyone ever told you that?"

I was on the verge of tears anyway lol, which is probably why my eyes stood out as it was, but as soon as she said that, I burst into tears and sniffled that my husband tells me all the time, but I think honestly that my eyes are just weird. They are every color an eye can be: dark blue ring on the outside, green in the middle, and a very light brown-that-looks-orange around the pupil, like a sun eclipse :cool2: I guess they are mostly green if I had to categorize them, but in reality, they are really multi-colored. Not like hazel, where the browns and greens are mixed - the different colors in my eyes are very distinctly in different parts of my iris. Sometimes people notice and look at them for a long time - then get a funny look on their face and say "WHAT color ARE your eyes!?" They usually don't go as far as to say they are pretty, so I never thought they were.

But I do like how they look when I am wearing green or after I cry and my eyes are all bloodshot - I guess those particular colors bring out the green haha

Mine was last week! I was going through the drive thru and had the AC gently blowing on me. When the worker handed me my drink, she said, "WOW, you have gorgeous hair!!! The way it is blowing around, you could be in a shampoo commercial on TV!!!" I was totally flattered!! The young lady worker looked to be a teenager/early 20's and I am 52, so quite a compliment!! And seven years ago, I was completely bald from chemo and it took a good two years for me to even need a haircut after chemo ended, so to get a complement on my hair was pretty special!!!
:cool1: That is really great!!! God bless.

I was having a minor procedure done not too long ago, which I was being a big baby about lol

As she was finishing, the doctor looked at my eyes and said "Your have the prettiest color eyes - has anyone ever told you that?"

I was on the verge of tears anyway lol, which is probably why my eyes stood out as it was, but as soon as she said that, I burst into tears and sniffled that my husband tells me all the time, but I think honestly that my eyes are just weird. They are every color an eye can be: dark blue ring on the outside, green in the middle, and a very light brown-that-looks-orange around the pupil, like a sun eclipse :cool2: I guess they are mostly green if I had to categorize them, but in reality, they are really multi-colored. Not like hazel, where the browns and greens are mixed - the different colors in my eyes are very distinctly in different parts of my iris. Sometimes people notice and look at them for a long time - then get a funny look on their face and say "WHAT color ARE your eyes!?" They usually don't go as far as to say they are pretty, so I never thought they were.

But I do like how they look when I am wearing green or after I cry and my eyes are all bloodshot - I guess those particular colors bring out the green haha
Now I feel like I must see your beautiful eyes. They sound so pretty!

I was complemented in the grocery store by an older gentleman. I’d guess he was in his 80s. He said, “Nice hat, fancy, but not flashy! First impressions are the most important ones.” I thanked him and said I was glad to have made such a good first impression. We then stood there for the next ten minutes while he told me a few stories from his past like how he met his wife. It was a very lovely conversation with a complete stranger that all started with a coral visor. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter