• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Latest Artist Point and Whispering Canyon Rumors

Rusty...do you think maybe the WC location will become a new sinature...like they are just kinda swapping spots?

My wife and I have eaten at all the signature restaurants at the resorts and for us, AP was the one we have never wanted to go back to. If I recall, there was no theming, it was overpriced (even for Disney) and the food was just ok. Now, if it was just food, we would give it a second try as there could be a host of different reasons why we didn’t care for it that day.

We both said the same thing as we left, we love WL and also really enjoy WCC, but AP was not worth the $250 we spent. We’ve been hoping for a new signature restaurant to take its place, I guess we will get character dining instead.

And yes, it is almost always available for reservations, so it’s not just us that feel that way.

My wife and I have eaten at all the signature restaurants at the resorts and for us, AP was the one we have never wanted to go back to. If I recall, there was no theming, it was overpriced (even for Disney) and the food was just ok. Now, if it was just food, we would give it a second try as there could be a host of different reasons why we didn’t care for it that day.

We both said the same thing as we left, we love WL and also really enjoy WCC, but AP was not worth the $250 we spent. We’ve been hoping for a new signature restaurant to take its place, I guess we will get character dining instead.

And yes, it is almost always available for reservations, so it’s not just us that feel that way.
The first two times we went, 2008 and 2013, we had same experience. It's my SIL's fave and she'd always pick it and DH and I would be like 'uggghhhh, why'. But THEN....we went Oct 2017 and again in March 2018 and those two visits blew our minds. So much better and the service is impeccable. One time we were seated by the window overlooking the landscaped outside and it was so relaxing and a nice adult meal. That's the charm...we can get in when we want and it's a quaint quiet calm adult dinner.

Well, this is not what I had hoped to hear. We were so excited to go back to to the lodge during the Christmas season and enjoy one of our favorite restaurants. I wonder if this will also effect the Territory Lounge because of the renovation & also because of the menu in the lounge coming from AP. Totally bummed. Got to rethink our plan for meals.:sad:

There are no reservations at AP from Oct 22 through Dec. i was thinking of grabbing it for one last go on our Dec trip. Guess not.

AP had the BEST mushroom soup when we dined there in 2012. Now I hear that it’s been replaced with another mushroom soup recipe that’s no where near as good as the original.

So they can do whatever they want with AP; if they don’t have the mushroom soup I loved, I doubt I’ll be back.

AP had the BEST mushroom soup when we dined there in 2012. Now I hear that it’s been replaced with another mushroom soup recipe that’s no where near as good as the original.

So they can do whatever they want with AP; if they don’t have the mushroom soup I loved, I doubt I’ll be back.
My SIL has always loved that soup and she still does. I haven't tried it...not up my alley. But she gets it and the berry cobbler every time....with a filet for entree.

Have our first WL stay is booked for early November. Had also planned on a first visit to AP, but I’m ok with the potential change as we have small kids. Just hope the ADR delay is due to a format change and not a prolonged refurb.

My bet is on a Woody/Jessie/Mickey combo...

I usually don't mind change but this is not something I am OK with at all. We just had an incredible dinner at AP in April. We had been a few years ago and the food was just OK, but it was a totally different experience in April, everything we had was fantastic. The restaurant was empty though, so I understand that reason for the change. I wish they would do the character meal for breakfast and lunch and leave dinner as-is, or turn WCC into the character meal.

Literally every time I check dinner times on the app, there is a ton of availability at prime dinner hours at Artist Point. I think it has a reputation for being very good food but too "white tablecloth" to bring young children to; hence it is just not filling tables. I've always wanted to try it, but I would love a character meal and think there is a lot they could do with the woodland theme, e.g., Chip and Dale, Pocahontas/flit/meeko, thumper/flower, or even a tinkerbell and friends theme could work. Or another fab 5 meal with mickey and friends in forest attire. It will definitely encourage more families to hop on a boat from MK to WL for a meal.

Not true. We eat there regularly, and the recipe is essentially unchanged. They've changed the oil and crunchy topping slightly, but otherwise, it's still offered. They don't call it portobello now (which was always a misnomer of sorts anyway), but it is smoked mushroom bisque.

However, if Rusty's intel proves correct, then who knows what will happen? I would be overwhelmingly sad, certainly.

Last edited:
Generally I like most character meals, and I was glad when I thought Artist Point would have a character breakfast but remain fine dining at dinner. But not glad to see it go character at dinner if that means losing the fine dining menu. It was my favorite in that category, and I'd hoped to go there for Christmas. Apparently plan is not working out. Sad to see this change.

Generally I like most character meals, and I was glad when I thought Artist Point would have a character breakfast but remain fine dining at dinner. But not glad to see it go character at dinner if that means losing the fine dining menu. It was my favorite in that category, and I'd hoped to go there for Christmas. Apparently plan is not working out. Sad to see this change.
I also would have no problem with character dining breakfast/lunch as long as there was fine dining for diner. Our kids are grown so we don't do character meals anymore, and were really looking forward to AP in December.

I really don’t know what management is thinking here.

To me, if they want to have a character meal at WL, it would make more sense to either:

(1) make WCC a character meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner;

Or

(2) make AP a character meal for breakfast and/or lunch but keep it as a signature for dinner.

If the WL does not have a signature dining experience, it downgrades and cheapens the resort IMO.

For example, even on trips where we didn’t stay at the WL, one of our favorite WDW experiences was to take a boat over to the resort, spend some time hanging out in the lobby, then going for a nice, quiet dinner at AP. In fact, it was a must-do for every trip.

We don’t do character dinners, so if the rumor is true that AP is going this route, we won’t eat there.

We've never been a character meal family, even with 5 kids -we just don't get it. That's fine, and opening the space for breakfast for that purpose would serve those who are interested, while increasing revenues. That said, the loss of a signature dining experience would take something away from WL as a deluxe resort, at least for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter