• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Latest Artist Point and Whispering Canyon Rumors

Not true. We eat there regularly, and the recipe is essentially unchanged. They've changed the oil and crunchy topping slightly, but otherwise, it's still offered. They don't call it portobello now (which was always a misnomer of sorts anyway), but it is smoked mushroom bisque.

However, if Rusty's intel proves correct, then who knows what will happen? I would be overwhelmingly sad, certainly.

Initially, I thought the soup was just a name change, but I’ve seen a few comments that said otherwise. IDK.

I had the soup, Copper River salmon and the berry cobbler when I ate there, and I thought the meal was perfect. I would order it again if we went back.

I was never overly impressed with AP as a Sig restaurant but was going to give it one more shot. If this indeed happens, Ill find another restaurant to go to.

Perhaps this explains why they tested the waters in making WC less rambunctious. If AP becomes a character meal then you need a second option that is a bit more typical like a Kona Cafe for instance.

We have Artist Point booked for the end of August - I'm assuming it will be the same signature dining experience then? I'm sure AP doesn't bring in the same volume as California Grill or the GF signature restaurants. A change may be warranted. It would be sad to lose though. I could definitely see it being a fancier character breakfast like back in the early 2000s.

I've dined at Artist Point twice over the years and it sort of reminds me of Napa Rose at Disneyland's GCH. The decor is fairly nondescript and unexciting, but the food and service has always been top notch ime.

Agreed... we hadn't had a chance to try AP but were always planning to. If it becomes a character meal though we're out... my husband doesn't like them and the price tag isn't worth it to me either these days since the food doesn't tend to be as good (IMO).

they're certainly not going to get away with serving smoked mushroom soup, bison and venison at a character meal. maybe I can get there before this goes down.

This would be really bad news, just booked 10/21 - could be the final night.

Artist Point is one of our absolute favorite restaurants, and we're CCV owners, so it's almost always going to be a must do for us! I love the food, but agree that it has seemed pretty empty on our last few visits.

I do like the idea of adding characters for breakfast, maybe even lunch. I just hope they don't change the food!

This would be really bad news, just booked 10/21 - could be the final night.
It IS the last night, currently. Nothing available from 22 Oct through whatever dates are available in Dec for the 180-day window. I'm fine with a character meal for breakfast, perhaps even lunch. Bring a character meal to dinner, and I won't go. As another posted, character meals have average food at best. While AP has had occasional, infrequent missteps, they've mostly been a topnotch, rewarding place to dine. Character = mediocrity by comparison.

Saddened to see AP die, and no SIG at WL :(. We are DVC homed there....
Cab to GF, or Contemporary? About $10/leg. These contain dinner SIGS. :(.

As we know the current AP Proprietor? Just hoping our dear friend has an escape hatch :(.

Our dinner at AP a few years ago was one of the best meals I've ever had at AP. And the restaurant was pretty full the night we went.

That said, it's been obvious for a few years that ADRs are easy to get there...even for larger parties and just a few days out. As great as the food was in our experience, it wasn't enough to bring the crowds in. I think the same can be said for WC, because I've seen a lot of availability there the past few years just a few days out from our trips.

A lot of that may have to do with WC's location. It's not on the monorail loop, and for people going to dinner from a park, a boat ride, no matter how short, can make it seem 'longer' (IMO) for many WDW guests who don't know the ends and outs of the resorts the this board does. I've seen this in my own family. The monorail loop is 'right there' where you can see it, and WL is tucked away. It's perception over reality.

So WDW is doing what they can to generate more business at a slightly 'out of the way' resort.

I don't like it. I like character meals well enough, but I can't think of any characters that would appear at WL that would be worth the trip for my family when so many more loved character options are available. And I really hate to see what's billed as a Deluxe resort lack a quiet, elegant dining location (I just cannot equate characters with elegance).

This also makes me sad because I wonder what will happen at AKL? ADRs are pretty easy to get there, in my experience, even for larger groups and at the last minute. I'd hate for some of the great and out-of-the-usual restaurants there to lose their theming or unique things that make them special...though I admit, I'd adore a Lion King themed character meal and would make a bee-line for AKL if they had one!

Oh boy, I do not want to break the news to dh, he will be so sad if AP is really changing. It's his favorite. We have 2 reservations there for our upcoming trip, and we're not even staying at WL this time. I'd love to see a character breakfast with woodland-type characters, but leave dinner alone.

I've always wanted to try it, but I would love a character meal and think there is a lot they could do with the woodland theme, e.g., Chip and Dale, Pocahontas/flit/meeko, thumper/flower, or even a tinkerbell and friends theme could work. Or another fab 5 meal with mickey and friends in forest attire. It will definitely encourage more families to hop on a boat from MK to WL for a meal.

I agree!

In the 90s we went to the Pocahontas & Friends character breakfast at AP. Pocahontas, Meeko, John Smith and Governor Ratcliffe (and boy was he scary.) I hope the governor never returns!

At Storytellers at the Grand Californian they have the Chip & Dale critters breakfast with Meeko, Kenai and/or Koda from Brother Bear, Chip & Dale, sometimes Brer Fox. I would love the equivalent of this at WL!

We don’t do signature dining at Disney - we save our finer dining for home. I would love
to see a character meal at WL especially since we are considering staying at Copper Creek next trip!

Sucks. Went a few years ago with wife. Had an amazing dinner. Every time I went back to Orlando for work I always tried to grab a quick meal or a few drinks at Territory Lounge. This will influence my decision to stay at WL next year when we do annual passes for my daughter and do Christmas trip.

Oh boy, I think this is kind of sad. I can see a character meal at breakfast, close for lunch, and then signature for dinner, but character for all three????

I realize that WCC also needs a change, but the overall swap to AP character dinign all day seems drastic. I knwo folks clamor to get into character meals, and they can be lucrative, but I wonder if this will backfire for WL. I wont go to WCC with all the antics, and the menu is not appealing to my family, so that oen would not draw us across the water. Now with AP going character, I woudl need to really love those characters to go out of my way to get there. WL better hope that they make a good decision to draw guests in, or that their choice will keep the restaurants fillled with home resort guests.

I suspect the ease with which people have been able to book at AP is the difficulty of getting to WL. Leaving the MK and jumping on the monorail to one of the deluxes around the loop is far easier than taking a launch, in large part because WL is an outta-sight/outta-mind resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter