Latest on Reedy Creek, Tourism Board and Disney Developer Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We have people [on the board] who very much want Disney to be what Walt envisioned." (He envisioned Reedy Creek, just sayin'. LOL)

Very little was said about maintaining roads and infrastructure, although DeSantis did make a push for increased salaries for firefighters - the conference was at the fire station - so I can see the new board's confusion LOL.

Honestly, the company butchered what Walt originally wanted. He wanted a actual real EPCOT-like community. Instead the company made the idea into a theme park.

As for the firefighters, the union was very much anti-Disney in this fight claiming poor investment in staff and equipment. According to the union, the Disney-controlled board didn't add any additional number of firefighters to the staff since 1989 despite how much Disney has grown since then. So Disney was cutting corners despite racking up a billion dollars in debt. (which is probably why its a bad idea to have a corporation run a fire department.)

Last edited:
Honestly, the company butchered what Walt originally wanted. He wanted a actual real EPCOT-like community. Instead the company made the idea into a theme park.

As for the firefighters, the union was very much anti-Disney in this fight claiming poor investment in staff and equipment. According to the union, the Disney-controlled board didn't add any additional number of firefighters to the staff since 1989 despite how much Disney has grown since then. So Disney was cutting corners despite racking up a billion dollars in debt.
I am pretty sure as a smoker, Walt would have been more sympathetic to keeping a few more of those areas in the park as well, its a real hassle to keep walking to the front of Epcot and International Gateway - so I feel ya on what good old Walt would do better ...

I have seen the "taking points" on the firefighters before - must be why RCID had to be torched ... we seem to keep shifting on the "why" to cover the "what" - is this a real issue - could be - but it didnt seem to concern anyone in the state until after the action on RCID.

Like the effects of drinking tap water?

The new board members are interesting. They generally don't seem to have any credentials that would indicate they're right for the job and none seem to live in the Orlando area. Not even a token member.

Bridget Ziegler - founder of Moms for Liberty.

Martin Garcia - political attorney.

Brian Aungst Jr.
https://bticonsulting.com/allstars/brian-j-aungst-jr

Mike Sasso
https://www.sasso-law.com/team/michael-a-sasso/

Ron Peri
https://thegathering.org/ron-peri/
In 1993, Ron founded Radixx International, Inc. which provides reservations systems to over forty airlines on five continents. In 2019, the firm was acquired by Sabre Corporation. Ron is currently Chairman and CEO of The Gathering USA and speaks and teaches extensively to Bible studies, churches, and other groups.

I am pretty sure as a smoker, Walt would have been more sympathetic to keeping a few more of those areas in the park as well, its a real hassle to keep walking to the front of Epcot and International Gateway - so I feel ya on what good old Walt would do better ...

Walt Disney was someone who could change with the times. I think he would have understood that smoking in public became less acceptable and would adjust to the times. Remember that he specifically didn't want to be seen smoking because he knew it set a bad example. And he especially didn't want children to see him smoking.

Walt Disney was someone who could change with the times. I think he would have understood that smoking in public became less acceptable and would adjust to the times. Remember that he specifically didn't want to be seen smoking because he knew it set a bad example. And he especially didn't want children to see him smoking.
But I would like to think (don't ruin this for me), that he would be more sympathetic ...

But I would like to think (don't ruin this for me), that he would be more sympathetic ...

At a time when it's considered far less acceptable? That's probably the sort of thing that Walt Disney would have lived with. He didn't particularly think smoking was a good thing and did his best to avoid being seen smoking and especially not being photographed smoking.

At a time when it's considered far less acceptable? That's probably the sort of thing that Walt Disney would have lived with. He didn't particularly think smoking was a good thing and did his best to avoid being seen smoking and especially not being photographed smoking.
They actually had to edit a lot of photos - certainly the ones shown today - because he was constantly smoking ... I actually heard an interesting story about his smoking habit on a Keys to the Kingdom Tour from a guide that actually knew Walt as a young girl - her father was an original Imagineer back in the day - absolutely fascinating stuff.

but you aren't working with me and now I am sad ... (despite probably being right) ...

The new board members are interesting. They generally don't seem to have any credentials that would indicate they're right for the job and none seem to live in the Orlando area. Not even a token member.

Bridget Ziegler - founder of Moms for Liberty.

Martin Garcia - political attorney.

Brian Aungst Jr.
https://bticonsulting.com/allstars/brian-j-aungst-jr

Mike Sasso
https://www.sasso-law.com/team/michael-a-sasso/

Ron Peri
https://thegathering.org/ron-peri/
In 1993, Ron founded Radixx International, Inc. which provides reservations systems to over forty airlines on five continents. In 2019, the firm was acquired by Sabre Corporation. Ron is currently Chairman and CEO of The Gathering USA and speaks and teaches extensively to Bible studies, churches, and other groups.

I can tell from the bio why Peri would be so upset if all he gets to control are roads and other infrastructure.

Just looking at the make up of the board should make it obvious to any reasonable person what this whole thing was really all about. And it definitely wasn’t because of favorable taxation terms.

As for the firefighters, the union was very much anti-Disney in this fight claiming poor investment in staff and equipment. According to the union, the Disney-controlled board didn't add any additional number of firefighters to the staff since 1989 despite how much Disney has grown since then. So Disney was cutting corners despite racking up a billion dollars in debt. (which is probably why its a bad idea to have a corporation run a fire department.)
The “company butchered what Walt originally wanted”. Really?? As I remember it, Roy (Walt’s brother) took over. Roy stated he thinks his little brother would have been happy. I’d like to think he was right. Who would know better than Roy? You?

I can tell from the bio why Peri would be so upset if all he gets to control are roads and other infrastructure.

Just looking at the make up of the board should make it obvious to any reasonable person what this whole thing was really all about. And it definitely wasn’t because of favorable taxation terms.
You mean a bunch of far-right Christian zealots with no experience administering a town and no expertise in taxes, accounting, infrastructure, or engineering are not the best board members for ensuring that the district is safe and follows state building codes?

Who knew?!

So in reading some of the previous posts, especially those where public statements are being made: does anyone else get the feeling the "long-game" for Disney is to let the Executive/Legislative branch just keep talking? Seems statements (threats) like "they [Disney] haven't seen anything yet" won't play well in other future litigation?

I think the honorable representative from the legislature tried to keep it on message with the "right talking points" about "taking back blah blah" ... but sure seems like the longer it goes on, and the more actions (weaponization of law enforcement) leading to Criminal Investigations being necessary?!?! - seems to lean toward collection of future evidence of punitive behavior / abuse / overreach?

Freely admit, not a lawyer, but sure seems like a pattern is setting up here ...

The first move for the board is to make sure Mrs. Doubtfire is blocked on all televisions at all the resorts.

Mrs. Doubtfire
Tootsie
Bosom Buddies
anything with Madea Simmons
Some Like it Hot (Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon)
The Flip Wilson Show
To Wong Fu
White Chicks
The Nutty Professor

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

Mrs. Doubtfire
Tootsie
Bosom Buddies
anything with Madea Simmons
Some Like it Hot (Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon)
The Flip Wilson Show
To Wong Fu
White Chicks
The Nutty Professor

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.
another classic ...

“- Jerry: We can't get married at all.
- Osgood Fielding III: Why not?
- Jerry: Well, in the first place, I'm not a natural blonde.
- Osgood Fielding III: Doesn't matter.
- Jerry: I Smoke, I Smoke all the time!
- Osgood Fielding III: I don't care.
- Jerry: Well, I have a terrible past. For three years now, I've been living with a saxophone player.
- Osgood Fielding III: I forgive you.
- Jerry: I can never have children!
- Osgood Fielding III: We can adopt some.
- Jerry: But you don't understand, Osgood! I’m a man!
- Osgood Fielding III: Well, nobody's perfect!”

"Some Like it Hot"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter