LeCellier--Not a good experience

On the Le Cellier menu there is the "filet mignon" (which is the one with the sauce on it) and the "mushroom filet mignon" (which is the one that doesn't have the sauce on it). If you don't specifically ask for the "mushroom filet mignon" you should expect to get the "filet mignon" with the sauce.

Well, in March, we ordered the filet mignon and it came with no mushrooms and no sauce, just the cream cheese mashed potatoes. Both were heavenly. That server didn't ask us any special questions either, so who knows what happened?

And AS I HAVE SAID OVER AND OVER, my problem was more with the service than my dislike of the sauce. I mentioned the sauce because to all three of us in our party, it was kind of a shock. You really could not taste the meat because the sauce was very strong.

Obviously, people have different opinions on restaurants. I just wanted to give my review of a bad experience at Le Cellier.

Marsha

OurDogCisco said:
How come you didn't send it back? If I don't like something at a restaurant, I usually tell the server and depending on the situation.... they bring me out another one or order something different. It happens all the time and they won't be offended. It doesn't happen very often but I'm wondering if they messed up your order. I would have said oh, I didn't order the filet with the sauce on it. I'm sure they would have taken your dish back. Try that next time.

I used to be a waitress, and there is no way I will ever send anything back to the kitchen, have you seen Road Trip?? :lmao:

Disneyglobegirl said:
Agreed ...this item has been listed on the menu like that for awhile now - I had the BBQ filet in 2005 and LOVED it - thought it was wonderful!

Amen. We have an ADR for next month, and I don't even have to look at the menu, I know it's what I want!
:love:

DiszyDeanette said:
Well... it does say that it has a maple bbq glaze right in the menu. :confused3

I agree, :confused3 it does say it on the menu, so why not of asked for no sauce / sauce on the side. Personally, I loved the filet I had at Le Cellier, and it was with the maple-bbq sauce.

Also, I read in another post somewhere that in Canada, (the actual contry, not Epcot's Canada,) that service is always on the slower side because that's just as it is there, and that they enjoy slower paced meals, with few interruptions. So maybe that's why the service was slow.

disneyfav4ever said:
I agree, :confused3 it does say it on the menu, so why not of asked for no sauce / sauce on the side. Personally, I loved the filet I had at Le Cellier, and it was with the maple-bbq sauce.

Also, I read in another post somewhere that in Canada, (the actual contry, not Epcot's Canada,) that service is always on the slower side because that's just as it is there, and that they enjoy slower paced meals, with few interruptions. So maybe that's why the service was slow.

Well, I can't imagine anyone enjoying waiting 20 minutes to have their drink refilled. That is bad service. We had good service at Le Cellier in March and it was definitely a lot busier then. I think I just got a bad server. I can tell you, I won't be able to get Torin in there again. Every time we went by the BBQ place in AK, he started retching, b/c it reminded him of that steak, LOL

Marsha

HACAM said:
I used to be a waitress, and there is no way I will ever send anything back to the kitchen, have you seen Road Trip?? :lmao:

LOL.... Too funny...

Actually we were a Black Angus tonight a very cheap steak house but my kids love it. Anyways, my dh ordered the 16 oz prime rib because my kids share it with him (at least that is what he tells me ;) ). Anyways, the rib came out and it was the 8 oz size definitely. Did we sit there in silence nope? We asked what size it was and the waiter came right back with the correct size. Anyways, my point is that nowerdays we pay WAY TOO much to eat out. If I couldn't find a waiter I would walk up to the hostess and ask where my waiter/waitress is? I don't know why people are afraid to speak up. And, don't come back and say you go this on free dining because it wasn't free... I'm not mean about any bad food I get in restaurant I just make sure I get what I wanted and what I ordered. Also, the nicer you about it the better the service you'll get. Well at least most of the time...

torinsmom said:
Well, I can't imagine anyone enjoying waiting 20 minutes to have their drink refilled. That is bad service. We had good service at Le Cellier in March and it was definitely a lot busier then. I think I just got a bad server. I can tell you, I won't be able to get Torin in there again. Every time we went by the BBQ place in AK, he started retching, b/c it reminded him of that steak, LOL

Marsha

I feel your pain. We had three bad experiences at Le Cellier in the course of three trips. I'm one of the easiest customers to please (been a waiter, so I'm extremely sympathetic if a server is having an off day) but the entire staff seemed to be stuck on stupid during each visit.

And I'm fascinated by the number of people harping on whether or not the menu mentioned bbq sauce/glaze while completely ignoring the fact that you got lousy service. As though your disappointment is somehow your fault :rolleyes:

Anyway, welcome to the Former Fans of Le Cellier Club. Your secret decoder ring is on its way. ;)

stopgo said:
And I'm fascinated by the number of people harping on whether or not the menu mentioned bbq sauce/glaze while completely ignoring the fact that you got lousy service. As though your disappointment is somehow your fault :rolleyes:

When somebody complains about an item being served exactly the way it is described in the menu, it tends to throw the rest of their observations under somewhat of a shadow.

stopgo said:
I feel your pain. We had three bad experiences at Le Cellier in the course of three trips. I'm one of the easiest customers to please (been a waiter, so I'm extremely sympathetic if a server is having an off day) but the entire staff seemed to be stuck on stupid during each visit.

Anyway, welcome to the Former Fans of Le Cellier Club. Your secret decoder ring is on its way. ;)

Thanks--at least someone is seeing my main point here.

And I could care less if my observations are under a shadow to some of you. Do you think I really care? :rotfl: I was trying to tell you of my experience and maybe save someone else from getting something they will not enjoy.

I do know what happens when someone complains at a restaurant. My server was slow already and I don't think she smiled once at us. I wouldn't take the chance that we would have our food spit on or worse. When asked at the end of our meal, I did tell the waitress(the one who brought our dessert, as our waitress disappeared after the entrees were brought out) in a very nice way that I hadn't expected the BBQ sauce, as last time, it was plain. The waitress said they had changed some of the sauces over the last few months. I am wondering if this was a glaze last time that was baked on so that we didn't notice it. This time, it was a coating such that you could have dipped a whole order of chicken tenders in it.

Whatever the case, I didn't leave a tip for our server because of the service, NOT the fact that I didn't enjoy the entree. She got 18% from Disney, which I think was too much.

Marsha

We are not fans of Le Cellier either. When we went last September not only was our waitress unattentive..she stated she was SO busy, that she would tell the specials, and take our order at the same time as the table next to us..(who were total strangers) that way, she would only have to say stuff once. We should have walked out of there right then and there. I got so thirsty waiting for my drink (which she did not bring untill after my apetizer) that the neighbors on the other side commented on how bad she was serving them too and offered an undrunk glass of water from their table.

torinsmom said:
Well, we all said we wanted the filet mignon. We didn't say with or without the BBQ sauce and the waitress didn't ask. If she knows there is more than one, I would think she would ask. There was one listed with mushrooms--I remember that. As far as why we didn't send it back, when your waitress is nowhere to be found for 20 minutes after you get your order, it is hard to send something back. We had waited 20 minutes after finishing the apps for our meal in the first place(and we ordered our apps and entrees at the same time). If I was paying for the DDP, I would have probably chased her down somehow, but we were not being treated very well as it was. We just wanted to be done and get out of there.

Like I said, the service was more of an issue than the food. I DO think it is weird to put BBQ sauce on a steak though. Maybe it is a canadian thing?

I think we will try Coral Reef next trip in place of Le Cellier.
Marsha
I don't know if it is a "Canadian thing", but being from Western Canada (Alberta - hopefully where Le Cellier gets their beef from!) I can tell you that for pretty much everyone I know, if we cook steak on a BBQ, then it gets BBQ sauce on it!

We were at Le Cellier about 1 month ago, and loved it. The service definitely wasn't slow - if anything it was too fast (something we experienced at almost all of the disney restaurants we ate at).

*Belle* said:
I simply asked for the BBQ sauce on the side, not knowing if I would care for it or not. The Filet and potatoe was very good, and the sauce did not over power my Filet. :)

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

I did the same and dipped each bite into the sauce - it sounded strange at first but was very tasty - the sauce I had was very smoky and spicy - not too sweet at all. A great contrast to the mashed potatoes.

dixiedizfan said:
My family loooves the BBQ-glazed filet! And I'll tell you who puts BBQ sauce on a steak ... TGI Friday's. Their steaks topped with Jack Daniels sauce are the best!

I think so too. I love to put that sauce on everything. Even dip my fries in it. Yummy!! :rotfl:

Maybe that is why I still am a chef there at fridays. The free food, and the Jack daniels glaze :lmao:

I just have one question. But after waiting 20 minutes for refills on your beverages, did you contact the manager and explain the problem, explain the poor service and that the meal was not what you expected? Explain that you weren't given an option of filet, which I think is a 50/50 wronging here, you ordered the wrong thing, but a good server should have questioned which filet you really wanted!

What did the floor manager say? I just don't understand anyone complaining on a BB if they didn't take action at the time to try to resolve the problem? If you couldn't eat it, I would have tried to get some of my meals comped or something if it was that bad that anyone would complain about it.

Thank you very much for your report. I would not like the filet with any sauce either. I love the taste of a great filet. Nothing extra for me. I am going in November and I am hoping for better service than yours. Fingers crossed.

That's a good point, really. We should rarely if ever see any complaints about servers. We should almost exclusively see complaints (to the extent things actually go wrong) about managers who didn't make things right when problems where brought to their attention.

I had the sauce on the side. We ate there for the 1st time in July. It wasn't our favorite place. It was okay but probably won't go next yr. :confused3

ClarabelleCow said:
I just have one question. But after waiting 20 minutes for refills on your beverages, did you contact the manager and explain the problem, explain the poor service and that the meal was not what you expected? Explain that you weren't given an option of filet, which I think is a 50/50 wronging here, you ordered the wrong thing, but a good server should have questioned which filet you really wanted!

What did the floor manager say? I just don't understand anyone complaining on a BB if they didn't take action at the time to try to resolve the problem? If you couldn't eat it, I would have tried to get some of my meals comped or something if it was that bad that anyone would complain about it.

No, I didn't go find a manager. I was tired from a day of touring and did not feel like chasing someone down. And I would not have asked for a different meal because then we would have to wait again, and who knows what would have been done to our food? I also figured maybe the server was having a bad day and I didn't really want to make it worse for her. We had enough to eat and weren't paying for the meal anyway. I just didn't leave a tip. If I had gone and found a manager and they had fixed it somehow, I still wouldn't have left a tip for that server.

I gave a REVIEW on a REVIEW board. Reviews are a matter of opinion. I stated my experience, and people can take it or leave it. Maybe someone will learn from what happened and make sure they order sauce on the side. As far as service, that seems to be hit or miss at Le Cellier. I had great service in March, but lousy service in September. As I said, I'll probably try a different TS next year, but maybe I will give Le Cellier another try eventually.

Marsha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter