• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

Saw a clip about UPS the other day that said the drivers are getting DOUBLE the amount of packages to deliver !! so obviously they can't deliver everything in their trucks on any given day, so back to the delivery centers many packages go. Too many on-line orders, not enough people, drivers, trucks to keep up. :faint:

I told you guys I got my 'balaclava' style mask (also called a 'neck gaiter') from Amazon the other day. Since then, I've had the chance to try it out and I would HIGHLY recommend this style for those who find regular masks difficult for breathing when worn for extended periods of time and/or have trouble keeping a regular mask in place. It gives you extra space below your chin for air and there's better flow.

The thing I don't really know is whether or not it's an effective barrier. I sure hope so.

The thing I don't really know is whether or not it's an effective barrier. I sure hope so.

This article doesn’t cover neck gaiters specifically but makes the following mentions. At least gives some kind of an idea...

“They found that droplets from a simulated uncovered cough were able to travel more than 8 feet; with a bandana they traveled 3 feet, with a folded cotton handkerchief, they traveled 1 foot, 3 inches; and with the cone-style mask, droplets traveled about 8 inches. With the stitched-quilting fabric mask, they traveled 2.5 inches.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/health/masks-homemade-design-trnd-wellness-scn/index.html

I believe that the best way to protect ourselves and others is not only to wear a mask but to avoid close contact with others. The only place I am going these days is a quick trip to the grocery store once a week and if I see someone in the aisle I want, I wait until the aisle is clear or go around the other end. The distance that droplets travel does not matter if I am not near someone who sneezes or coughs.

I just go the Old Navy ones in the mail yesterday. They are huge. I think they will work well for my husband, but they are too big for me.

I just go the Old Navy ones in the mail yesterday. They are huge. I think they will work well for my husband, but they are too big for me.
Which type of mask did you get? My gaiter one was too big for me but I was able to make it smaller at the top face part by 'pleating over' the seam.

We finally received our Disney Star Wars masks size large. The sizing was inconsistent. 3 of the 4 were the same, but the Baby Yoda one was significantly smaller than the others though it said large. As far as sizing goes otherwise, they were all too small for my husband, 6ft, average weight. All were too big for me, but I'm petite and have a smaller face. They fit my two teenagers pretty well with the exception of the Yoda one. Quality was average as to other masks I've ordered. Because of the sizing I won't order more though.

Mask comparisons were on our local news today and online:

“Wearing bandanas is the least effective — particles from coughs and sneezes can travel up to 3 feet. Cone masks are much better and are able to contain droplets within 8 inches.

The most effective mask can be home stitched, and is made from two layers of fabric. With a mask like that, droplets travel just 2.5 inches.”

https://www.insideedition.com/what-...e-most-effective-at-containing-covid-19-60460

I see lots of folks around our town with the gaiters and bandanas like half wearing them... nose out or they’re so loose they don’t seem to do much. Of course that’s prolly better than the lady I saw today walking around the store with her mask hanging from her earlobe like a big earring. 😂🤷‍♀️

I ordered myself another Vistaprint mask- highly recommend these! The prints are so cute and they really conform to your face so they just feel more comfortable to me. The filter pocket and adjustable straps are nice too. Highest quality mask I’ve found.

Can you put some pleats on the sides? Mine are in the wash, so I'll have to see how they fit when they finish drying.
That might help. I feel like the elastic bands are a bit loose, too. My husband is thrilled with them, lol. I'll probably just give all of them to him.
Which type of mask did you get? My gaiter one was too big for me but I was able to make it smaller at the top face part by 'pleating over' the seam.
Elastic loops over the ears. The style is my favorite style, but the material part is big and loose and the ear loops are also loose. I wore one when doing my volunteer work at the dog rescue because I am with dogs and it's easy to social distance humans, but I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing it in a store/office/etc.

Elastic loops over the ears... and the ear loops are also loose...
Would something like this help: Plastic Cord Locks for Mask Elastic, Adjustment Buckle with Stringing Tool for Adult Children Mask Elastic Adjustment Accessories, White, 50 Pack ?
There are lots of these type of adjusters on Amazon. Some people have posted on other boards that something like this helps a lot with fit and comfort: Mask Halo Adjustable Ear Saver, Ear Pressure & Tension Release PATENTED COMFORT.

Yes, that's exactly what I need. A friend of mine made some masks for me a while ago and they all have the adjusters on them. The ones she made for me were by far the best, but she's moved to Hawaii and I don't want to ask her to make more and ship to me. I've purchase many different styles and all different price points. Old Navy is by far the best price point.

I got the kids masks (5-pack) from Old Navy, and they fit my soon-to-be-5-year-old very well. They must be somewhat comfortable, as he has no qualms about wearing them to go pick up food or walk around the neighborhood.

I ordered a set of 5 "neck gaiter" type things (just off Amazon) in hopes my teenage boys will use them for school. So far only my younger son (13) tried it. He wore one to get his hair cut last week and for that short time he had it on, it seemed to work well. Obviously it will vary on size but at least for him, that seems to be a decent option.

I also have a set of "gaiter" style with slits for the ears (to help keep them up) coming so we shall see how those do.

I live in Phoenix so I thought it would be nice to be able to wet them down to get the cooling effect, but then again we don't wear them outside here so I'm not sure when we will have a chance to experiment with that aspect of them.

I'm bummed to read about all the size issues with the Disney ones because my husband has an amazing pair of Stitch sunglasses that he bought at Toyko Disneyland a couple years ago and they would look great with the Stitch mask... if the quality was good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter