Line Cutting at Costco Rant, Long!

I feel like this thread is a great example of people ripping each other to shreds over the little things lately. Yikes! :duck:

Edit: This isn't directed at you, OP. That guy was a jerk and I'm glad you said something.

Maybe. Honestly I have very little patience for people who don't know how to merge on highways yet continue to drive on highways. Stopping on the on ramp is so incredibly dangerous.

Those already on an interstate (throughway) have the right of way when it comes to merging traffic. Yes, it would be good if they allow traffic in, but they don't have to.

Sources:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article25870837.html
http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2011/07/trooper_talk_drivers_must_yiel.html
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/traffic_talk_who_has_the_right_1.html
https://forum.officer.com/forum/pub...rcement-questions/76012-right-of-way-in-merge

Now, if anyone can find a link showing those on the throughway have to give way to the merging traffic, I'd like to read it.

Oh, and OP, the guy was a jerk. You saying anything isn't going to change his ways. He still got away with it.

Ooh...timely as we are driving on the part of the interstate with super short on ramps right now! DH is driving...I'm on my cell. Not a single one of these horribly short ramps has a yield sign.

How could you possibly merge onto the highway from a dead stop if you are supposed to yield? You speed up to match traffic speed and the cars already on the highway slightly adjust up or down to let you in. We all seem to do that here. And yes, the zipper in is the way you are supposed to merge from 2 lanes to one, traffic moves much faster if this happens, but I admit almost no one knows this.

Never go to Costco on Saturday!

Um, don't you guys just hate when your thread veers off and becomes a totally new thread with a new topic all because some posters disagree with someone else's driving skills? Just saying......perhaps sunshinehighway can start a new highway safety thread since she was the first one to steer my thread off course.

But in your op your analogy was to driving...that started the veering.

It is a rainy Saturday here today so Costco was packed. Dh, myself and ds(16) did our shopping and waited in line for about 20 minutes to reach the cash. Great, but now we were faced with another very long line at the exit door where they check your receipt against your purchases (do they do that in the States as well?) So we got in line and after a few minutes of slowly inching forward I see this cart approaching me from my right side very casually until the man finds a gap between my cart and the person in front of it and suddenly he swerves and sticks his cart in that gap so that if I pushed my cart it would hit his. As the line was continually slightly moving within seconds half his cart was in. (Think heavy traffic on the highway where someone uses the empty exit lane and then cuts in at the top kind of thing.) Ds, being a typical teenager noticed and says out loud to me "I hate line cutters" to which he turns around to him and says in a very loud bullying voice "excuse me?" because he knew what he had done and when you cannot defend then go on the offense.

My dh is very mild mannered and avoids confrontations at all costs but watch out if he feels he has been wronged! Dh says to him in a fairly loud voice "well sir you just cut the line" and he had the nerve to say that he was already in front of us....yah by passing everyone on the right!!! It got ugly with myself joining in and using a few not so nice adjectives to describe him to his face, I admit not my best moment.

What I find interesting his female companion (wife?) stood there like a deer in the headlights and never said one word throughout the whole exchange in his defense. I guess she is used to his behaviour or is terrified of him.

The question is was the whole altercation worth it? I don't know. Many will say no you cannot change a jerk. I asked ds this and he said "well mom you cannot always be a pushover because you have to live with yourself. Maybe he'll remember what happened today the next time he does not want to wait in a line." Something tells me with a bully like that, that is wishful thinking!
If I witnessed somebody escalating a verbal argument because some jerk cut in the exit line with a grocery cart, I would think to myself that the line cutter was a jerk, but the family that was raising their voices and making a big deal of it had major anger issues. First world problems.

How could you possibly merge onto the highway from a dead stop if you are supposed to yield? You speed up to match traffic speed and the cars already on the highway slightly adjust up or down to let you in. We all seem to do that here. And yes, the zipper in is the way you are supposed to merge from 2 lanes to one, traffic moves much faster if this happens, but I admit almost no one knows this.

Never go to Costco on Saturday!
Normally the yield signs are when you're exiting the interstate. If there's no break in traffic, you have to stop until there is one. There are plenty of merge & yield lanes here. They have different rules, but can be similar in certain situations. The merge lanes are usually when you're getting on the interstate. Unlike with a yield sign, people usually try to get over, if they can. If there's too much traffic, the merging cars will be forced to stop. As far as merging lanes for road construction, if everyone down here in the ending lane drove all the way to the merge point, they would be sitting there a long time. Some people, including myself, will allow cars to merge in an alternating pattern. IMO, this is correct. However, most people won't let cars in, if they fly by the traffic to the end of the merging lane. They will allow cars to merge sooner, but they'll ride the bumper of the car in front of them to prevent the car from getting in at the last second. Knowing this is how people here drive, I always merge sooner & take my turn sitting in the barely rolling traffic.

Last edited:
So OP........ sorry your vent here turned out as stressful as the Costco experience.

The whole world just seems on edge lately.

Internet boards like this one really get testy when there's a natural disaster affecting people's moods. If we didn't have fires, hurricanes, current political situations, No. Korea threatening to nuke us, and other problems, OP's post would probably just be a blip on the radar.

I read an article - in fact, I might have found the link to it on this site - from someone living in Brazil. The author said that in her culture (and I don't know if this is all of Brazil, or just her community), it was considered appropriate/desirable to "push" as much as you could. So if there was a line, and you saw an opportunity to cut in ahead of other people, that wasn't rude or offensive. It was what you should do - do your best to get ahead. And other people would equally be looking for opportunities to cut in on you, so you all kept jockeying to get there first. Reading that helped me understand that cultures do see these things differently. What we see as rude and annoying, another culture might see as normal, expected behaviour. It's kind of changed my perspective on some of these things.

So OP........ sorry your vent here turned out as stressful as the Costco experience.

The whole world just seems on edge lately.
I think the OP is very on edge. She verbally dresses down a jerk at Costco and then dresses down the posters here that don't discuss exactly what she wants discussed. I hope she feels better venting here in a safe place. But she needs to realize that if she starts telling people what they can post, she is going to get push back.
Hoping whatever is going on that is stressing her gets resolved soon :flower1::grouphug:

i6mve.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter