Line Cutting at Costco Rant, Long!

But in your op your analogy was to driving...that started the veering.

My apologies Southernmiss, I forgot about that particular line in my op because it is just something i put in last minute to compare how he cut me off in line. I did not mean for the thread to become a highway safety code debate but it did because of mousehockey37 post and then the next poster calling her out on it and rudely telling her she did not know how to drive. I am actually following this thread in amusement at all the wrong highway info being given out by people who believe they know better.

I think the OP is very on edge. She verbally dresses down a jerk at Costco and then dresses down the posters here that don't discuss exactly what she wants discussed. I hope she feels better venting here in a safe place. But she needs to realize that if she starts telling people what they can post, she is going to get push back.
Hoping whatever is going on that is stressing her gets resolved soon :flower1::grouphug:

I am sorry that is what you see in my post but you are wrong. I do not believe I dressed any poster down but was just wondering how my thread veered into a highway/yield sign debate. Then, someone mixed me up with another poster, which I pointed out. I gave an honest and accurate description of what happened today and was just wondering what people thought. I was the first to admit it was not my finest moment and maybe not the right thing to do. People can post what they want and, like I said in another post, I have been following along.

I wouldn't bother me if someone cut in line at Costco. I would probably think the person did it unintentionally or was in a big hurry.

Okay, I respect your opinion. In my case it was not unintentional as how do you end up almost first in a line with about 20 carts behind you without realizing it. As for being in a hurry well we all had better things to do than wait in line on a Saturday afternoon.

Okay, I respect your opinion. In my case it was not unintentional as how do you end up almost first in a line with about 20 carts behind you without realizing it. As for being in a hurry well we all had better things to do than wait in line on a Saturday afternoon.

Yeah it just would not have bothered me. Cut in front of me at Disneyland, though, and that most definitely would annoy me.

Ok so for the Costco part. I live in crazy old people land (otherwise known as Southern FL) sometimes our Costco runs out of milk in "season" because the trucks literally cannot pull up to deliver because of how people have parked. Having said that - I have waited in some stupid long lines to checkout (why oh why don't they have an express lane?) but never had to wait 20 minutes to have my reciept checked and get out the door. At the worse of times it's maybe 2 minutes. But it can get pretty confusing since there are about 15 lines "merging" into two lanes for the receipt checkers lines. I would be pretty mad if I had to wait that long after checking out but if someone cut me off I would chalk it up to the confusing and very small merge area between the lanes and the door and just let it go.

Probably complain about it when I got home though.

So OP........ sorry your vent here turned out as stressful as the Costco experience.

The whole world just seems on edge lately.

Thank you. This thread is not really stressful but I do find it strange that some posters have turned on me just because I questioned why my thread took such a strange turn in topic.

Ok so for the Costco part. I live in crazy old people land (otherwise known as Southern FL) sometimes our Costco runs out of milk in "season" because the trucks literally cannot pull up to deliver because of how people have parked. Having said that - I have waited in some stupid long lines to checkout (why oh why don't they have an express lane?) but never had to wait 20 minutes to have my reciept checked and get out the door. At the worse of times it's maybe 2 minutes. But it can get pretty confusing since there are about 15 lines "merging" into two lanes for the receipt checkers lines. I would be pretty mad if I had to wait that long after checking out but if someone cut me off I would chalk it up to the confusing and very small merge area between the lanes and the door and just let it go.

Probably complain about it when I got home though.

We waited 20 minutes just to get to the cash to pay and then were faced with a second long line to get the receipt checked. The second line was 2 lanes and was quite long with about 20 people in each lane moving slowly.
As we were about 2 people from the receipt checker in the front I noticed him casually pushing his cart trying to find an opening which he did in front of me. No doubt in my mind he knew what he was doing.

We waited 20 minutes just to get to the cash to pay and then were faced with a second long line to get the receipt checked. The second line was 2 lanes and was quite long with about 20 people in each lane moving slowly.
As we were about 2 people from the receipt checker in the front I noticed him casually pushing his cart trying to find an opening which he did in front of me. No doubt in my mind he knew what he was doing.

That would be annoying, but I'm still to passive to say anything in public. lol If I'm really mad I'd sigh really loudly.

Different Costco's must have different set ups - mine is only wide enough for about 3 maybe 4 carts to line up between the checkout lanes and the doors, so there is definitely no defined "lanes" for the receipt people it really is more of a wide mess.

i6mve.jpg

Ha, Ha Where were you when I got out of Costco? I certainly could have used one then!:drinking1

How long does it take your people to check receipts? In our Costco, they glance at the receipt, glance at the cart, and then mark the receipt. 30 seconds tops. So, at least in our Costco, the guy cutting in front would have cost me 30 seconds. Not enough to get upset about.

I am confused. Rather than being passive aggressive and talking loudly amongst yourselves about how you "hate line cutters" and then escalating an argument, why didn't you just politely say to him "Excuse me sir, I am not sure you are aware, but the end of the line is back there?" You could have given him an out to save face and go to the end of the line. Passive aggressiveness does usually put the other person on the defensive and will escalate tensions as you witnessed.

OP. If your entire family loses their cool for one line cutter I urge you never to go to Paris. I don't consider freaking out about a line cutter any different than a road rage incident. It's just not worth the aggravation to be "right". There's always going to be one in the crowd (unless you are in Paris). Do you really want to lower yourselves to start fighting with some dude at Costco?

This may depend on where each poster lives. Where I'm from, if someone cut in front of you like that, odds are good it would be unintentional. Where I live, there's little doubt that they were just rude & thought they were too special to stand in line like everyone else.

I am sure it was annoying. On that note though, sometimes people have a bad day or maybe he was in a hurry. All we have to do is reflect on all the times we cut someone off on the freeway, did something we were not proud of (including myself) and let it slide. As a whole I think all of us need to learn a little humility now and then.

Yeah it just would not have bothered me. Cut in front of me at Disneyland, though, and that most definitely would annoy me.
That's funny & shows that we're all different. I look past more on vacation than I do at home. It could have something to do with the fact that most people here seem to have no patience & try to take advantage of those of us who have a little patience.

How long does it take your people to check receipts? In our Costco, they glance at the receipt, glance at the cart, and then mark the receipt. 30 seconds tops. So, at least in our Costco, the guy cutting in front would have cost me 30 seconds. Not enough to get upset about.

I am confused. Rather than being passive aggressive and talking loudly amongst yourselves about how you "hate line cutters" and then escalating an argument, why didn't you just politely say to him "Excuse me sir, I am not sure you are aware, but the end of the line is back there?" You could have given him an out to save face and go to the end of the line. Passive aggressiveness does usually put the other person on the defensive and will escalate tensions as you witnessed.

Like I said Costco was packed with people and most carts were very full. I guess some checkers are more thorough than others but in my case he actually took my bill and ticked off all 9 items i had in my cart.
It was my teenage son who said to me "I hate line cutters" as we have always taught our kids to stick up for themselves but to also learn to pick their battles. In that moment, after having waited in lines for more than 30 minutes he saw the injustice of it and spoke I suppose without thinking.

Not sure it is my problem to give a line cutter an out to save face. I have always been taught and now teach my kids that whatever you do in life be ready to accept the consequences of it.

OP. If your entire family loses their cool for one line cutter I urge you never to go to Paris. I don't consider freaking out about a line cutter any different than a road rage incident. It's just not worth the aggravation to be "right". There's always going to be one in the crowd (unless you are in Paris). Do you really want to lower yourselves to start fighting with some dude at Costco?

I have been to Europe several times including Paris and am very aware that they have no concept of waiting in line for their turn. That is their culture. Several years ago I had my cousin come visit from Europe and he found out quickly enough about waiting your turn here in North America when he tried to board a bus first after seeing a line and thinking he did not have to wait in it. I was not there but he told me it was not pretty.:rotfl:

Same thing happened to us today at a halloween event.Some guy in line behind m us to meet a super hero jumped out with his daughter and ran up to the front. I looked him in the eye and said " sir we are all in line ", referring to myself and the 4 families ahead of me. He grabbed his daughter back and said "Come back, stay out of that woman's way, she is obviously in a hurry".

Ummm...dude, you were the one cutting line, you were in the hurry. He was just mad that he got called out on his bad behavior. I just get so sick of the "me,me,me" society.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter