Live From WDW

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
Hi folks. It's my first full day here at WDW. I'm reporting to you from the Boardwalk Villas. The place is just wonderful. This is my first visit as a Vacation Club member, and I'm happier now about my purchase than I was when I signed the papers. It's definitely worth the investment IMHO.

There's a pretty good sized forrest fire brewing southwest of the property that's wrecking havock on the parks and resorts right now. When we checked in yesterday, the whole area was engulfed in smoke. The skies looked cloudy and smoggy, but was in fact a direct result of the smoke drifting across the property from this fire. It smells like a smoke box or even like the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge, except much stronger. We decided to abandon a walk from our resort to MGM last night because the smoke was just too thick. My wife was having touble breathing, and of course the main concern was for our 9 month old daughter. This morning we had the same smoke cover, but it quickly dissipated before 11am. We headed out for the MK only to find that the winds had diverted the smoke from the southwest side of the property to the north. The MK area was as thick as the Epcot Resort area was last night. We then headed back to MGM where it was, and still remains, clear as a bell.

The main problem contributing to this fire is the lack of rain. There's just a 20% chance of a shower tomorrow, which would be a great help, but right now is a very low probability scenario.

The hat at MGM is up. The stars are not painted on yet, but the cone shape is. The Star Wars weekend event is a blast. You could easily spend a couple of hours there. There are loads of characters from the film, as well as original stars available for autograph and photo shots. One event that I thought was very clever is called "The Jedi Knight Training School". A Jedi Knight picks children from the audience and puts them on stage. They're put through several drills by the master which teaches them all they need to know about becoming a knight.

The Boardwalk area was booming last night. Many events, including an outdoor hula hoop contest for kids in front of the Dance Club, made last night's late night stroll for us very enjoyable. There were also lots and lots of surrey bikes running around. Overall a great night despite all of the smoke.

This pin trading thing is just as big as it was on my last trip. I purchased a few and enjoy talking to CMs about this phenominal vacation past time.

That's all for now. I'll post again as time allows. I'm happy to say that WDW is just as beautiful as ever. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the flower displays at Epcot this afternoon as part of The Flower and Garden festival. Take care all.

Great trip report Irodk. Thanks for keeping us updated. Hopefully the smoke will clear in the next couple of days. I am glad you enjoy pin trading. It is one of my favorite things to do while working. Unfortunately not enough cast members see it that way. Many feel it is a burden for them to wear a lanyard and only do so when forced by a manager. I always ask for one as soon as I get to work and often put some good ones on it.

Headline News reported that, although the fire is only 2 mile south of Disney property, they will keep the parks open. The problem I have is that some part of Disney will get burt. LETS HOPE IT IS JIYI!!!!!!!;) But really, I don't want any part of Disney burt. Currently I will be going in August but I am still worried about if this will hurt Disney propetry.:eek: :earseek:

Good you hear you're having a good time Irodk!
I'll be there in 6 days. Can you have that fire put out by then? Thanks alot...
:D

IrodK--so happy to hear you are pleased with your DVC purchase. You do wonder a lot between signing those papers and having your first visit, don't you?

Is the hat at MGM finished enough that it is on display or are the barriers still around it?

Please keep us updated on the fires and smoke, have seen very little on the news since early this weekend.

OnWith the Show--you have no idea what a difference the lanyards that CM's wear make in the pin trading experience. I am a bit reluctant to trade with other Guests, and love trading with CM's. I check out each and everyone that I encounter. I wish more CM's would get into the spirit. They have no idea how much fun it is for the Guest, especially if they have any knowledge about the pins.

I love pin trading with guests! Especially the little kids they are the best. One time I had a pin that a guest was interested in with Walt Disney Travel Company on it. I spent almost a half hour on the phone trying to find out where the pin came from and if it was rare or not. i was great fun trying to track down info, almost like solving a mystery.

OnWithTheShow,

I just had to echo RweTHEREyet's sentiments. One of my favorite things to do is wander around by myself and talk to every Cast Member with a lanyard. I have met some very nice people and found some pretty good pins! Thanks for wearing a lanyard. BTW, where do you work? I'd like to come stare at your chest for a minute...
:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter