London / Paris Here We Come!!! 9/2 - 9/10/11

Delta has started cancelling flights:

All flights departing from JFK, LGA & EWR will be cancelled on Sunday August 28. We will re-book you on the next available flight on or before Sept. 2 (no later) or you can re-book yourself on delta.com. If you need immediate reservations help you can also call us at 800-221-1212. Please continue to check your flight status on delta.com and sign up for Delta Messenger for continual updates.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/flight_status_updates/advisories/irene/irene_3.jsp

I hope this doesn't affect anyone. Good luck and have a good trip.

Delta has started cancelling flights:

All flights departing from JFK, LGA & EWR will be cancelled on Sunday August 28. We will re-book you on the next available flight on or before Sept. 2 (no later) or you can re-book yourself on delta.com. If you need immediate reservations help you can also call us at 800-221-1212. Please continue to check your flight status on delta.com and sign up for Delta Messenger for continual updates.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/flight_status_updates/advisories/irene/irene_3.jsp

I hope this doesn't affect anyone. Good luck and have a good trip.
Crap. Even though my flight still says "Confirmed", I can't bring up any details online, nor can I check in online, even though it's less than 24 hours. United.com says I have to check in with air canada, but their site says no go. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Sayhello

I was relieved to learn on the Alaskan cruise podcast that Pete also has height/bridge issues. Maybe I won't be the only one having a panic attack on the Millennium Bridge and the London Eye!:scared1:

Laurie

I have height issues as well. I definitely want to do the London Eye, but might need to take a couple of deep breaths before getting on!

Jason

To all of the East Coast friend and travelers --- Hurricane Irene :scared1: is looking very scary . Be safe,,,
... John and I are "supposed " :confused3 to leave Newark NJ at 10:15 pm on SUNDAY for London :scared1:
If anyone has any extra pixy dust :wizard: to spare ..could you sprinkle it on Irene to make it GO AWAY !!
John will be monitoring it all :surfweb: over the next few days.

Newark is cancelling flights in on Saturday. Our daughter and our 7 year old grandson are in WDW now and they can't come home on Sat ... we are trying to extend their stay now. :confused3 .. This is crazy stuff. I guess if I had to be 'stuck' someplace ...WDW is the Place I would want to be.. but the kid is starting to miss is mommy, daddy and little brother:sad2: Oh to be 7 again ;) ..

Be safe Micki

Stay safe Micki and John. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Jason

I have height issues as well. I definitely want to do the London Eye, but might need to take a couple of deep breaths before getting on!

Jason

I'm with you Jason.

I can get the runs just thinking about this, but I'm doing it.

Helicopters and suspension bridges....NO....but I'm going on the London Eye.

I'm with you Jason.

I can get the runs just thinking about this, but I'm doing it.

Helicopters and suspension bridges....NO....but I'm going on the London Eye.

Go for it Kevin and Jason! The view is spectacular (hopefully you'll get a lovely day for it) and you can see all parts of London.

:thumbsup2

Regarding the Millennium Bridge and the London Eye...

The Millennium Bridge is a very solidly build metal footbridge that basically connects the Tate Modern (modern art museum) with St. Paul's Catrhedral (which is a few blocks from its end of the bridge. It's a very low bridge, maybe 20 feet over the river. It's not the Golden Gate, lol. Frankly, I think the bridge from the Oasis to Africa in DAK is higher up. Some folks may remember that back when it first opened, there was a design problem that caused the bridge to wobble a little, however this has long since been corrected, and now it's as sturdy and wobble-free as any metal bridge across any other river.

BTW, I dont know if you get to see the Tate Modern on your tour, but if you have a few free minutes, it's definitely worth a peek inside. Not for the art (though it is a great collection) but for the amazingly cavernous lobby space that used to house a coal power plant. Usually they have some massive art installation there. When I was there, one time it was a whole city-scape made out of giant plastic sugar cubes, and another time it was full of twisty metal tubes you could actually slide down inside.

As for the London Eye. Keep in mind that it moves very slowly in a continuous smooth motion. It does not start and stop, even to let people on and off (unless there's a person in a wheelchair, etc). It moves quite a bit slower than, say the loading area for Peter Pan or Haunted Mansion. Spaceship Earth speed is probably a better comparison. This keeps it from feeling like a ride at all. In fact you may not feel you're moving at all, so the rise in elevation is extremely gradual. The capsule you're in is completely sealed from the elements, and there's even a bench in the middle to sit down on if you want. Each capsule is the size of a small room, where you can easily stand and walk around to see things in different directions. So, again, it's not cramped like a farris wheel. It's directly opposite the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben, so you'll have a great view of those in the foreground and the rest of the city stetching into the distance. Because the movement is so gradual, and the capsule is so roomy, I would say that it's much less "scary" than the glass elevators on the Space Needle or the CN Tower (or even the Westin Hotel in Atlanta, for that matter).

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Wish I could go with you! Next time, maybe.

Regarding the Millennium Bridge and the London Eye...
As for the London Eye. Keep in mind that it moves very slowly in a continuous smooth motion. It does not start and stop, even to let people on and off (unless there's a person in a wheelchair, etc). It moves quite a bit slower than, say the loading area for Peter Pan or Haunted Mansion. Spaceship Earth speed is probably a better comparison. This keeps it from feeling like a ride at all. In fact you may not feel you're moving at all, so the rise in elevation is extremely gradual. The capsule you're in is completely sealed from the elements, and there's even a bench in the middle to sit down on if you want. Each capsule is the size of a small room, where you can easily stand and walk around to see things in different directions. So, again, it's not cramped like a farris wheel. It's directly opposite the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben, so you'll have a great view of those in the foreground and the rest of the city stetching into the distance. Because the movement is so gradual, and the capsule is so roomy, I would say that it's much less "scary" than the glass elevators on the Space Needle or the CN Tower (or even the Westin Hotel in Atlanta, for that matter).

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Wish I could go with you! Next time, maybe.

This is helpful. Thanks! I think my issue with the Millennium Bridge (aside from my general fear of bridges) is that I have seen the Harry Potter movies too many times, so my mental image of that bridge is of it twisting and falling into the Thames.

Safe travels all!!!!

Laurie

This is helpful. Thanks! I think my issue with the Millennium Bridge (aside from my general fear of bridges) is that I have seen the Harry Potter movies too many times, so my mental image of that bridge is of it twisting and falling into the Thames.

Safe travels all!!!!

Laurie
Heheheheh!!! I have to admit that I thought the same thing; but as long as the bridge itself is not see-through, I'm going to give it a go! I'm thinking about doing the London Eye at night. I know ABD is taking us, but I imagine it will be during the day, and I think seeing London at night like that would be very cool!

Sayhello

Three hours until I get picked up to go to the airport. I'm getting that pre-flight stress (not from a fear of flying, just because it is SUCH a hassle, and my fear of leaving something important behind, despite lists & double-checking). It's not helping my poor tummy any. :sick: I'm going to be SO relieved once I'm on that plane to London! You know, a silly part of me wishes I wasn't doing the extra days so that I could have ABD meet me at the airport & take care of everything. I'll be happy once I'm there, but I *am* spoiled!

Sayhello

I'm in the airport in Toronto! My flight to London is delayed an hour, but other than that, seems to be good to go. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me! So far, the only thing I seem to have forgotten is the folder with the directions to the B&B, and a few other bits in it. LUCKILY I took my tickets for the Royal Day Out & the Ceremony of the Keys OUT of the folder, and put them in my purse! I think I can get the rest of the info from my email.

Looking forward to seeing you all!!!

Sayhello

I'm in the airport in Toronto! My flight to London is delayed an hour, but other than that, seems to be good to go. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me! So far, the only thing I seem to have forgotten is the folder with the directions to the B&B, and a few other bits in it. LUCKILY I took my tickets for the Royal Day Out & the Ceremony of the Keys OUT of the folder, and put them in my purse! I think I can get the rest of the info from my email.

Sayhello

Good luck Tobi! Hope your flight is only delayed that hour. Safe travels! I'll see you on Friday.:banana:

Sayhello

Have a safe flight Tobi! Enjoy your pre-days!!!!:goodvibes

Here is the word from the troops on the ground (aka Pete and Walter)...

It's 4pm now- 68 degrees...going down to 50. Will be like that all week. Light jacket/long pants weather

:banana:

Good luck Tobi! Hope your flight is only delayed that hour. Safe travels! I'll see you on Friday.:banana:
Ended up being two hours, but still better than it could have been! See you Friday!!!,

Have a safe flight Tobi! Enjoy your pre-days!!!!:goodvibes
thanks! So far, so good! I feel *SO* much better than I did after flying to Barcelona last year. We'll see how I am in the morning.

Here is the word from the troops on the ground (aka Pete and Walter)...

:banana:
It's beautiful here! Alternating sunny & cloudy, high 60's. Long pants, light top & a light sweater. Will probably need a jacket once the sun is down.

Sayhello

Ended up being two hours, but still better than it could have been! See you Friday!!!,

thanks! So far, so good! I feel *SO* much better than I did after flying to Barcelona last year. We'll see how I am in the morning.

It's beautiful here! Alternating sunny & cloudy, high 60's. Long pants, light top & a light sweater. Will probably need a jacket once the sun is down.

Sayhello

Glad your flights went well, Tobi.

See you later this week!

Wow! Some of us already being there really makes it real!!!! And I haven't started packing! Better get moving on that!

Laurie

Wow! Some of us already being there really makes it real!!!! And I haven't started packing! Better get moving on that!

Laurie

I actually started today. I've got the important documents in the carry-on. I still have not put one piece of clothing in a suitcase though. Got to get on that...:rolleyes1

We are 98% packed! We just need to pack a few last essentials and then we are ready to head out the door on Wednesday!
:hippie: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I actually started today. I've got the important documents in the carry-on. I still have not put one piece of clothing in a suitcase though. Got to get on that...:rolleyes1

Haven't packed yet either...I do have the suitcases out and a pile started! Lol

Tobi, Walter, Pete...so glad you made it safely!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter