Looking for your Autism/Disney Tips

DisneyDreams4P&B

Remembering Austin....
As I had promise weeks ago, and am now apologizing for my lateness (third trimester of a problemed pregnancy)

I am looking for tips that you may have for taking a child/person with ASD to Disney. I know that Allears.net has some but I am looking to make something really comprehensive. I would like to compile the list and then make sections that can either be sent via email or if posible Sue can post it as a sticky:

Please remember:

1. Please make it short (no stories just helpful hints), but make it as detailed as possible, meaning where can we find it, hours, cost etc.

2. We need tips on:

touring all the parks
hotel/room guides and tips
packing - what to bring on trip and to parks
character breakfasts/shows
places to eat/DDP

this list is not limited to these things please feel free to contribute what ever you think would help ASD families at Disney.

I am so looking forward to your responses and to putting this together.

As I had promise weeks ago, and am now apologizing for my lateness (third trimester of a problemed pregnancy)

I am looking for tips that you may have for taking a child/person with ASD to Disney. I know that Allears.net has some but I am looking to make something really comprehensive. I would like to compile the list and then make sections that can either be sent via email or if posible Sue can post it as a sticky:

Please remember:

1. Please make it short (no stories just helpful hints), but make it as detailed as possible, meaning where can we find it, hours, cost etc.

2. We need tips on:

touring all the parks
places to eat/DDP

this list is not limited to these things please feel free to contribute what ever you think would help ASD families at Disney.

My experience on the 4thof July. High functioning ASD son 9..

MGM did not go well for us. One attraction I cannot remember the name, had a lot of gun firing. He did not like that at all. MK was great. He did not need earplugs. You may want to bring them just in case.

We ate at the Boma-AKL, Crystal Palace-MK and Brown Derby-mgm on the DDP. Boma is two table services so we ate at Earl of Sandwich the first nite to save the extra ticket. He really liked the Crystal Palace in the evening because the characters came to the table. He also likes Buffet's so he can get up and get what he wants. Brown Derby was great but not a place were the kids can move around.

Be prepared to wait until after 4pm to check in. We did not get in until 6pm. Have swimsuits handy. Or get there early and go to the parks.

Let the lifeguard know your situation at the pool at your resort.

If you have a DVD player bring it on the trip. Passes the time away. I have a typical 4 year old and it was nice to not hear them fight.

I would need more info to give you more tips. I hope this helps.

Get a gac, take mid-day breaks so your children have some time to recoup, sometimes the parks can be overstimulating, buffets are good because you don't need to wait for the food to be served. You may want to bring head phones or ear plugs to shows or fireworks that may be to loud. Eat breakfast in your room to avoid the crowds and confusion. Rent a car to avoid bus lines and possibly having to stand on a bus. Bring snacks and drinks and books and such for on the plane or car and during down times if possible try to go at off times to avoid the crowds. Try not to over do it, use a stroller if you still can. If you can take days off in between park days do so. Linda

If you have never been to Disney World before and have a smaller amusement park close to home, go there for a trial run through. We did this and it was a disaster, but we learned what works and what doesn't. Take breaks, eat, don't expect to do everything. We learned a lot for twenty bucks as opposed to spending thousands of dollars. This will be our fifth year in a row for our family and asd dd10.

I do not have kids with ASD (in fact, i dont have kids) but I know some parents have said this:

Watch videos of the rides on You Tube before going if you can. If you kid freaks out when watching a video of the Indiana Stunt Show on a screen, imagine how he/she will handle it once you are at the parks in the middle of a crowd!

If you have a younger kid who can get over-stimulated, a disney stoller has a awning for shade - if you put a towel over the front, it creates a safe space where they can peek out, but can hide if it gets too crowded. (in the summer give them a fan, cause it can get hot)

someone on here said that they gave thier kid a disposable camera so they could peek out and take pictures.

ask for the ability to sit on the end of rows in shows, so you can escape if you need to take your kid out (too loud, too crowded, scary noises)

If you leave Carousel of Progress, you WILL STOP THE SHOW and the rest of the crowd will have to watch the entire scene again. if you dont think your kid can make it through, this might be one to skip!!

My DD8 has sensory issues.

Bring earplugs EVERYWHERE, just in case.

Beware of 3D shows, my daughter just about jumped out of her seat.

Enjoy your trip. :goodvibes

If your child uses PECS, surf the net:surfweb: and download as many pictures as you can of the rides and shows then make PECS out of them. Use velcro and a small binder so your ASD child can tell you where they want to go next. I also have a PECS for each of the park icons if we want him to pick the park for the day.

Get the free planning video whether you've been to WDW or not. My son loves to watch it and I think it helps then know what to expect.

disneynewman that's a great idea with the pecs pictures for rides in the park, we have been 4 times and I never thought to do that, we go next month I better get busy with my search.:goodvibes

If anyone has any Disney PECS (or ones that they used for Disney Trips), can you email them to me?

jennajonesme@aol.com

My sister is taking my high functioning nephew and low functioning niece to Disney in Nov. and I know that they would be great for her.

Thanks

Jenna

for DisneyDreams, this thread might be helpful. The person who originally posted it was making files with pictures of different attractions.

glad to see you are back on the project and sorry to hear why you had to postpone the project for a while. Hope things are well now.

And one suggestion for the people with suggestions - it might be helpful to state whether your child is a sensory seeker or sensory avoider. Sometimes the worst ride for a sensory avoider is the favorite for the sensory seeker. It will also be helpful if you put what your child didn't like about a particular attraction if you know (I noticed some were adding that info and it will be helpful for others whose children have problems with the same things).

If anyone has any Disney PECS (or ones that they used for Disney Trips), can you email them to me?

jennajonesme@aol.com

My sister is taking my high functioning nephew and low functioning niece to Disney in Nov. and I know that they would be great for her.

Thanks

Jenna

Hi Jenna,

I will email you whatever I can find, I bought a new computer since then and not sure if I saved them to disk or not. I did get most pictures from this web site and allears.net. I also cut a lot out from different disney magazines like the AAA vacation one and the inserts that came with the WDW planning DVDs
Christine

jennajonesme@aol.com

Thanks

Jenna

Can you email me the pics, too? skinninger@bellsouth.net. We use the PEC board.

BTW, I think this thread is awesome! Thank you for starting it.

1) Ear plugs work great.
2) Do not do the 3D or Honey I Shurnk The Audience Show at Epcot. We thought it was GREAT, but the mice over the feet, the horn the water mist, drove my son over the top. He is usually great with shows.
3) Choose a resort where you can see the fireworks from it, rather than the park.
4) Leave the park early before the crowd.
5) Do Buffets instead of food as you pass it. If you call the DINE # prior to your trip and get a reservation, if you are on "The Diet", they will have all of your food outlined for you.
6) AK has McDonalds
7) We borrowed our friends video of the trip to do a "video practice run." Now we have our own video.
8) Travel in Off Times, if you do not mind pulling them out of school. Cooler and less crowded.
9) Call the resort and find out how often the transportation to and from the resort to the parks run.
10) Map out the parades and call ahead to get the times. Get you a front row (curb) early, out of the sun. Look at the video you have made of your trip thus far why you wait for the parade. You get a good spot, in the front, sitting, out of the sun, the kids get a break (bring snacks) and the kids LOVE the parade.
11) MY BIGGEST PIECE of advice....... Either do a park prior to check in at the resort, (the waterparks are nice if it is okay weather wise), then check in or just chalk up one day as a day lost and arrive LATE. If you try to check in anywhere near the classic check in time, the lines are soooooooooo long. They send me over the edge, not to mention my DS with ASD.;)

Please remember:

2. We need tips on:

touring all the parks
places to eat/DDP

Oh I forgot to tell you I bought the passporter book for special needs it is very helpful and informing.

I am both a seeker and an avoider and Soarin is my all time favorite ride ever. The first one or two times I rode it the lift off was kind of weird but I got used to it. Rent or Buy a stroller, it will make things easier for him/her.

1. My DS16 has to always have his gameboy with him, we went to DL and left it in the car and the day was miserable. He was way to overstimulated and had no way to distract himself.

2. Soft foam earplugs

3. If more then 1 child ( I have two Aspies) make sure it is clear on GAC, I had trouble one time because GAC was issued in son's name (I told them and did not notice) and not daughters.

4. My youngest likes to have a WDW kids planning book so she can be a part of the trip!

5. We stay at DVC (or you stay similar) as mine don't eat out well, that way we eat familar foods and don't worry about restaurant waits or menu options. And can take frequent breaks.

Bring a "calming kit" with you everywhere. Mine included earplugs, a surgical brush for Wilbarger brushing, a chewy tube to satisfy oral stim needs (may keep child from "mouthing" all the stuff in the parks, too), a washcloth I could wet to cool DS by wiping face, back of neck, etc, sunglasses or visor, a fidget toy. Others may want to include a PECS schedule.

Tell or show with PECS what you will do next.

My DS craves vestibular stims...he loved most of the rides, esp. if they spin.

Use Fast Pass.

Understand that waiting in the long lines to meet characters in the park, may not be something you will be able to do. It is hard to wait off to the side and some lines are really long. You will probably get lucky with a short line here or there. Character meals are a good option for pics.

Be flexible. Don't stress. Remember you are there to have fun ;)

My tips:

A glow stick or necklace (even during the day) will make dark rides a little lighter.

Don't be afraid to ask a CM for help. Example-- my DS was scared to death of the "strectchy" room at the beginning of the Haunted Mansion, we asked if there was a way to avoid it and there is, we were led right to the line.

Take breaks, make dining ADR's, let your DC watch the planning videos or the TV show in the room (Stacey and her top 10.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter