Looking for your Autism/Disney Tips

The stroller for my DS 12 has been an absolute MUST for us. It's his safe place....and I will post again, but my DS LOVES the Carousel of Progress...he surprised me when we exited Buzz and pointed at COP & wanted to go right on....it had been 2 years since his last trip but he sure didn't forget. :)

1. Passporter book for special needs is great-- New edition is supposed to come out in Sept.

2. Remember everything is amplified at Disney-- Noise, lights, crowds. Get GACs to help but also be prepared to alter all plans. Last year DS would not do any indoor rides-- doesn't leave much left. Start out slowly.

3. Earplugs, small flashlight for dark rides, something that calms them when agitated (DS loves to draw so we bring small pad and a couple markers)

4. Stroller is a must for a safe place. Especially if child has low tone on top of it. We bring an light weight crib blanket so he can hide if he needs to.

5. Something to consider --When DS was younger and exhibited more challenging behaviors (temper tantrums, limited verbal, extreme difficulty with transitions) we actually found buffets more difficult, especially Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace, as well as 50's Prime Time- they were so loud and bright and crowded it actually overstimulated him and we had to leave. On the same trip we ate at Rose and Crown, San Angel Inn, Cape May Cafe (am buffet is very low key), Wolfgang Puck (Upstairs) and Tony's and it was a wonderful experience. I know others reported good experiences at the buffets so I just wanted to toss another perspective in there. Again every kid is different and so much depends on how they respond to stimuli.

6. World Showcase is an excellent place to explore right when it opens at 11am- not very crowded then and every country has something for the kids to do.

Our most important traveling goal is for us at Disney is just to enjoy being there. We always stay on-site and go back to the hotel for naps and breaks. We go with the flow and if that means spending a whole morning riding Dumbo, the Merry go Round, and the Barnstormer then that's what we do (did).

Water playgrounds at Epcot are great to let them blow off steam.
Flame Tree bbq has seating by a duck pond it shady another good relaxing dining experience.

okay well I didn't save my disney pecs to a CD after all, I have since bought a new computer. I have my actuall PECS but that doens't help anyone else much. But I had a thought:idea:
Maybe we could appeal to the folks on the photography board to email one of us (I'm happy to be the one) some great pictures of the attractions. They probably have great shots of nearly all the rides and attractio that will easily convey to the klids what we are doing next. Especially indoor shots of things like Peter Pan that aren't easy to photograph will an average camera. Then we can get all those together an email to each of us as one word doc?

What do you think?:confused3

okay well I didn't save my disney pecs to a CD after all, I have since bought a new computer. I have my actuall PECS but that doens't help anyone else much. But I had a thought:idea:
Maybe we could appeal to the folks on the photography board to email one of us (I'm happy to be the one) some great pictures of the attractions. They probably have great shots of nearly all the rides and attractio that will easily convey to the klids what we are doing next. Especially indoor shots of things like Peter Pan that aren't easy to photograph will an average camera. Then we can get all those together an email to each of us as one word doc?

What do you think?:confused3

That sounds like a great idea! Maybe we can post it to the Family board, too. If not, I am going to be there in October and I can take pics then.

Hi! A quick note about the pics of rides, etc....and this might not be relevant for everyone, but if it helps even 1 person, I'll be glad I mentioned it!

I spent a lot of time with my ds, showing him pics of things on TourGuideMike, to help him get ready for a few rides. For example, he's never done the Peter Pan ride, so we went through all the pics...sure, it was a great idea U N T I L we did the ride, which he absolutely FLIPPED on. After, he looked at me and said "I didn't know the pictures moved!!!". OMG, I was so sad. Honestly, it might have been better for him not to see the pics, instead of seeing something that was different from what he was expecting.

I don't have a ASD child, but traveling with a friend that does. I'm trying to prepare myself and my child so we know what to expect.

Can you please help me out and tell me what a GAC is?

Thanks! I want this trip to be great for everyone!:grouphug:

Can you please help me out and tell me what a GAC is?

Thanks! I want this trip to be great for everyone!:grouphug:
It's a Guest Assistance Card.
Check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread (look for the green arrow near the top of the disABILITIES Board thread list). There is a section about GACs that should be able to answer all your questions.

My sittuation is different from most because my son is also blind. Therefore he does not have the visual problems. What I did do is watch the youtube video's of each ride he will do. We also watched the vacation planning dvd.

Our son is Autistic , perfectly mobile but unable to talk.

An oversized strolled and now a wheelchair are essential for us when touring the parks, he cannot walk long distances.

We are wary of rides/attractions that have a long pre-show as he does not have the patience for any of these.

Getting to the parks early is the best tip for anyone, this way you beat the worst of the crowds and can get on the rides more easily.

When visiting Magic Kingdom head for Fantasyland first, this way the likes of Snow White, Winnie The Pooh and Peter Pan will be relatively quiet.

If considering a character breakfast it may be best to go for 'buffet - style' , many Autistic children do not have the patience to wait in restaurants for long periods. Some restaurants are also quite noisy so may not be suitable for a particular child.

Get the GAC at the first park you visit. Don't try to see if you can manage without it.

Don't press them to go on rides they are not ready for.

Ask for a quiet room location at your hotel. Time shares with a kitchen/washer/dryer can be very comfortable to unwind and wash favorite clothes.

Don't leave any favorite sleep items (blankie, etc) in the bed while out of the room. The maid may take it with the sheets (Can be retrieved by calling housekeeping!:) )

Use a stroller past the usual stroller age.

Go during low attendance times.

Bring a drink and small snacks to carry around with you.

Two sets of earplugs for when he drops the first somewhere

Make ADRs for restaurants - less wait

Look at the menus in advance an allears to see if they offer what your child will eat - also check the lunch menu if there is something that he will eat and you are there at dinner they may make it for you.

Specify to the waiter if you need your food a special way e.g., plain or on separate plates

Take a break every afternoon. Don't try to do too much.

Glow necklaces/bracelets help you keep an eye on your child in the dark.

Bring an MD note for the plane to assure that you are seated together.

The portable DVD can be a big help for car trips or plane trips.

Breakfast in the room (in front of the tv) can be very relaxing for an AS kid

The LEGO store in Downtown Disney is my son's go to place

My son likes to do the same rides each time we are at the park (loves repetition)

Pin trading/collecting can be a good way to build social skills.

Plan ahead. Don't play it by ear, but do be flexible (you know he won't be!!:) )

My top ideas:
EARPLUGS!!!
stroller
blanket or something else to cover up with (meltdowns)
handheld electronic game
comfort item, e.g. stuffed animal
cell phone (helps you find each other when lost)
child locator system
book to read when bored

My son won't use earplugs but he loves a pair of NOISE REDUCING headphones - plug them into an ipod or other handheld game and he's very happy! So for those who can't do earplugs try the headphones - get the ones that go around the entire ear - they cost a little bit more but are worth it!!!!

If you have the GAC card, quietly explain your situation to a nearby CM when there is a long line for a character meet, like in Toontown, etc. We were able to bypass the line and go around a different entrance so my DS could meet characters in 5 minutes rather than the 45 minute wait. Be prepared for the occasional dirty look or comment from those in line who have no idea and think you are some sort of VIP.

Any type of portable electronic device that may calm the child when they are having any difficulty. We use a Leapster (DS is 4), older kids may like an ipod, gameboy, etc.

We also rented a car. No waiting for buses.

When you enter the park..at Guest Services...and ask for a Guest Assistance Card. This was a LIFE SAVER for us and I would imagine traveling wtih 4 children with ASD, this would be of value to you, too! Thanks!

Laurie

PS...they'll have a great time!!! They'll love It's a Small World!

ADDITION BY MODERATOR: Check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread if you want more information about Guest Assistance Cards.
They are not meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line (that information is printed right on the card). They are meant to provide assistance that a person with a disability needs to be able to experience the parks.

Last year my DS4 was literally a quarter inch over 40". The first time we took him on Splash Mountain we walked right on with no problems. He fell in love with the ride! The next time we went to ride it, they wanted to measure him. He had no idea what that meant or why they wouldn't let him on and wouldn't stand up straight by the measuring post...which caused a major meltdown...the CM wouldn't let him on because she couldn't measure him which made him more upset...and he wouldn't stand up...it was ugly. I was totally unprepared for this situation (shame on me:sad2: ) and it upset me for a long time that I put him in that situation..anyway.. This year thank goodness he is way above 40".
If your child is around 40" or a little above and you plan on taking him on rides with a height requirement you may want to get a doctors note with his height on it to show with your GAC card. I am not sure if that is a solution :confused3 but it might help. At the very least knowing this could be a problem may help someone prepare better for the possibility of this happening. :)

Hi, my DD3 loves Playhouse Disney on television so I thought she'd be thrilled to see them in person. It was a nightmare. We were right up front, but it was too loud and too much for her. She cried and stimmed the whole time.

Ear muffs, the ones they use for shooting, seem to work well with others, blocking noise and soothing them. DD can't stand to have her ears touched, so we haven't figured out that solution yet.

Sit in the back, use ear coverings and try not to allow Playhouse Disney overwhelm, if that's possible.

Also, lunch with Jo-Jo and Little Einstiens was also waay to loud.

Good luck with the project, I'll be interested to read them all when you get it finished. :goodvibes

Wendy

I just got my new addition of the passporter and found a great little ides. BELLS! Hang them from the door of your hotel room so you know when the door is open. Most of those locks are pretty easy to undo.

Also I had no idea that you can get a handicap parking pass for your vehicle if you have a child with autism (at least in NH you can) bring the pass with you and use the handicap parking at the parks if you are driving there or renting a car

We use ADR's and when going up to the hostess stand we ask them to have our waitress come see us quickly.

I have printed out the menus already and we all know what we want before we go in. When seated we ask to have our order taken right then. We ask that they don't hold any food, just get it out as soon as possible. Of course we explain DS autism and that the clock is running for us.

DVD player and toys help pass the time while waiting for the food.

For the rides, we use Fast pass and if all fails we use the GAC.

We stay at OKW and take afternoon breaks. We also take long vacations to Disney so we don't feel rushed to get it all done. This trip is 8 days!

I hope this helps and have a magical trip.

April

Also I had no idea that you can get a handicap parking pass for your vehicle if you have a child with autism (at least in NH you can) bring the pass with you and use the handicap parking at the parks if you are driving there or renting a car
The 'reason' for the handicapped parking permit would be for safety purposes - because many children/adults with autism have little sense of danger and getting them out of traffic and where they are going ASAP will be safer for the person with autism and safer for all the drivers.

The handicapped parking permit issued in one state is recognized in all other states. There are some things that vary from state to state (like some require handicapped parkers to pay for parking, othes don't), but in general, you can park in a handicapped parking spot in any other state.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter