Looking for your Autism/Disney Tips

That's right. Our kids all have their own needs. Luckily for me, mine are NOT early risers, as I'm not an early riser myself. Though I must confess they do wear me out when we're staying at the parks until 1.. 2am or even later... but hey, as long as THEY are happy, so are we, right! :goodvibes :flower3:

Still in need of a lot more tips...

I go 2 times a year w my autistic daughter. My tips:

Use a stroller for 9 and under if you need. They like their own space.
Use a tot strap to keep you together.
Same shirt or same color as a cue to others you are together.
Lots of glow sticks for the wrists and around neck to be visible.

My best idea is to put several labels on her stating:
Name
Autism/ speech impared
If alone dial (cell number) or 911

The labels are the best as people in lines and such read them and give us more space and a break if she is acting autistic. Also I do not have to explain.

Another tip which works great for my son: stay in a quiet resort. We are regular visitors, and we always stay at the Old Key West Resort, which is a great place to "escape" from the busy "world" which WDW is after all. When making reservations, I always ask for a room in a quiet area, typically in the Old Turtle Pond area (and preferably with water view - do I sound picky? ;)) From time to time, he loves to spend time in the smaller, quiet swimming pools at the resort.
Other advantage of staying at the same resort is that, all the rooms look the same, so it's predictable what kind of room he will be, actually OKW really does feel like our "home away from home" Knowing what will happen and where he will end up, that takes away some of the "travelling stress" for him as well.
:flower3:

Hi! :wave2:

My family has made several trips to WDW with my son who has Classic Autism.
I've written trip reports about several of our visits; if you would care to read them for tips, the links are in my siggie!

Kathy

'

Hi! :wave2:

My family has made several trips to WDW with my son who has Classic Autism.
I've written trip reports about several of our visits; if you would care to read them for tips, the links are in my siggie!

Kathy

'

::yes::
There is a link to at least one of Kathy's older trip reports in post 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. It is under autism in the alphabetized list of conditions and concerns.

Again an example of our different our needs are. We never rent a car when being at WDW. We always stay on property and use Disney Transportation. A few times my 17y old with ASD even went back to the resort all by himself using the bus, which is an admirable thing to do in his situation, seeing his condition, and given the fact the English language isn't his (our) mother tongue and he doesn't speak it fluently at all, but it was no big deal to him - it was all very predictable... where he had to get on the bus, where he had to get off... (must confess I was very sceptical about it, and doubted if I'd let him to it, but I let him in the end, and it was a good confidence building experience) :goodvibes

My tips that worked for DS3:

1. Backpack leash (only works for the smaller guys).
2. Saftey tats with cell phone #-ours say, "I have non-verbal Autism."
3. Bright colored shoes, like orange or red crocs-can always see his feet in a crowd of tall adults.
4. Buffets
5. In KY autism is considered a disability. We were able to get a temp handicap parking pass for DS3-it helped with the transitions-leaving park, monorail, walking, tram (we were able to cut out the tram ride, DS3 suffered zero meltdowns when leaving the parks).
6. Small toys for waiting in line-parachute men were a big hit.
7. For the water babies-the padded play area outside of Test Track that the kids can play on/in and it shoots up water. DS3 did great here, stayed for about 30 mins and did really well with leaving it. Have an extra change of clothes and a towel-they will get wet.
8. DS3 seemed to do better with attractions that were outside-particularly loved Goofy's Barnstormer.
9. You tube videos of the resort and rides/attractions, character interactions.
10. The Disneyland Sing A Long video-good for MK-even though it is DL and not WDW. We watched this at least 2-3 times a week before bed, sang the songs and talked about the rides and characters.

That's all I can think of for now.

My tips that worked for DS3:

1. Backpack leash (only works for the smaller guys).
2. Saftey tats with cell phone #-ours say, "I have non-verbal Autism."
3. Bright colored shoes, like orange or red crocs-can always see his feet in a crowd of tall adults.
4. Buffets
5. In KY autism is considered a disability. We were able to get a temp handicap parking pass for DS3-it helped with the transitions-leaving park, monorail, walking, tram (we were able to cut out the tram ride, DS3 suffered zero meltdowns when leaving the parks).
6. Small toys for waiting in line-parachute men were a big hit.
7. For the water babies-the padded play area outside of Test Track that the kids can play on/in and it shoots up water. DS3 did great here, stayed for about 30 mins and did really well with leaving it. Have an extra change of clothes and a towel-they will get wet.
8. DS3 seemed to do better with attractions that were outside-particularly loved Goofy's Barnstormer.
9. You tube videos of the resort and rides/attractions, character interactions.
10. The Disneyland Sing A Long video-good for MK-even though it is DL and not WDW. We watched this at least 2-3 times a week before bed, sang the songs and talked about the rides and characters.

That's all I can think of for now.
Very good hints.:thumbsup2

There is a link to a video in post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread that may be helpful. It is an interactive video that basically walks you thru each park, showing the areas around attractions, then you walk by the attraction while the ‘host’ tells you a little about the attraction he us standing in front of. The interactive element of it allows you to chose whether to go on that attraction or just pass it by and go on the next attraction. If you chose to go on it, the video switches to a video of the attraction queue, getting onto the ride car and then scenes of the actual ride itself. After ‘riding’ the video returns back to the same point in the tour where you started from.

DS is usually sensory-seeking (but some things are over-stimulating)
What has worked for us:
1-GAC
2-Carry shoes-We start the day in sneakers and I carry a pair of Crocs. Halfway through the day, I give the kids the second pair of shoes. It totally rejuvenates them. (Sore feet=unhappy kids)
3-I give DS hugs. He likes the sensory input of touch and it calms him. This is easy to forget in a park when things are busy. There isn't a lot of tactile input and this can cause acting out for some kids. Hugs can help.
4-We use Disney transportation. My sister knew about the transportation cards. This was something for the kids to look forward to when waiting for the bus/monorail/boat. The transportation people really liked the interaction and gave the kids lots of extra cards and attention.
5-New experiences in small doses often at home. Visit a smaller amusement park before attempting Disney.
6-Talk about each ride while waiting in line.
7-Watch videos of the rides/shows/etc.
8-Talk and explain things all day.
9-check in with child often, offer choices
10-Use the restroom whenever it isn't busy-even if kids may not HAVE to go.
11-If possible, bring extra adults. This can give mom/dad a chance to take a break. It is easier to notice, prevent, and deal with issues that arise if you aren't exhausted yourself. My sister and BIL came with DH, me, and the kids. They were a great help.
12-You can split into smaller groups to get on rides faster...example-offer to be 2 groups of 2 at Soarin'. This can shorten the wait.
13-If you aren't on the dining plan, you can bring sandwiches for lunch. Eat while waiting for rides. This saves waiting for meals.
14-Eat meals earlier than the norm-this will shorten waits at restaurants.

This time I'm bringing a mp3 player to listen to in restaurants- they're so loud they gave me a huge headache by the end of the holiday.

My DD8 has sensory issues.

Bring earplugs EVERYWHERE, just in case.

Beware of 3D shows, my daughter just about jumped out of her seat.

Enjoy your trip. :goodvibes

This is a good tip...however, you have to know what your child's sensory issues are. For example, my daughter is UNDER sensitive to everything, and I mean everything. So loud, exciting, huge, etc. is good for her. She sort of "wakes up" at WDW !!!! THis is a big part of the reason we go! She's made many gains after our trips!

Good luck and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter