Looking to Lose Ladies

I'm in. But you've done lost me on how to keep track, so i'm going to give you what looks like the average for the week. This week, it's 219.5, and that appears to be a good number. I started the beginning of 2009 at 267. I like to eat. I like to cook. I never ever met a carb I didn't like.

After physical therapy in the summer of 2008, I was already working out at the pool 3 days a week, for Fibromyalgia. We'd already upped the vegetable intake, and switched to whole wheat, but the pounds were not budging. I know now, it was a few things, too many treats, too many sweets, too many carbs, over portioning. And I too am an emotional eater.

March 2009. Diagnosed with diabetes. My doc showed me how to finger stick and gave me a printed diet sheet from ADA. I was already eating less than that. My friend, mom of a difficult diabetic (due to a HOST of other physical and mental issues) said, I'll be your coach, you just use the doc for your scripts. She did. She had me sticking myself before and after every meal and WHOA. The simplest things shot my sugar right up - not just sweet stuff, but white potatoes, white rice, pasta, dried beans, all cereal including oatmeal. I discovered a whole apple was too much, but half was ok.

This is no fun, but it's the rest of my life, not a diet. I got a scale and weighed and measured everything I put in my mouth, and wrote it down too. perfection didn't come over night, by any means, and still hasn't. But you know what? "will power" had nothing to do with it. Women are strong - stronger than we know - we HAVE will power. But the food industry is conspiring against us. Anyway, the old lady's on a roll, so bear with me.

Why do I say that? Look at all the ads! They've given us a warped sense of portion size. They advertise MOST heavily all the things that are bad for us - soda pop. beer. Cinnabon. big thick juicy burgers. They have specials on the food channel - this weekend it was 5 hours of the top 100 places to chow down - on ribs, fries, sandwiches, burgers, wings etc - and the portions were big enough to feed a small NATION. This isn't normal, folks!

Even more insideous is high fructose corn syrup. It's like crack for the carb addicted, and it's in EVERYTHING. Try finding a loaf of bread without it. <breathe>

I took my usual recipes and made them and calculated the carbs and calories in each one and divided it by the number of servings. The blood glucose number told the story - if I ate something I shouldn't, it went up and, because I had the notebook I could corollate what I ate with the high number. If it shot my sugar, I stopped eating it. And the weight started to come off.

It's really not that difficult, oddly enough. When I was hungry out of meal time, I had a few almonds or olives. After about a month of carb restriction, I lost the craving and wasn't hungry after meals. My MIND says eat, sometimes, but I have a glass of water and ask it - are you REALLY hungry? Or are you bored, thirsty, frustrated, tired. . . If it says, I"M STARVED! FEED ME!! Then I eat - something I know I CAN eat - meat fish cheese eggs nuts olives veggies (not corn) If it says Look, we haven't had a hot fudge sundae in 6 months and I really want one - I say ok, we'll go to Beaches and cream and have the best one we can get when I get to the world. And I did. I told the guy I need the most perfect 1 scoop hot fudge sundae you can make because I'm diabetic and I'm not supposed to eat it. It was a work of art! And I savored ever single small bite. Oh brother. I really am rolling now. You have permission to go on to the next post. Now, I'm writing this more for me than y'all.

I have to tell you about my gym. It's at the wellness center at Sunnyview hospital. I'm one of the youngest people in my swim group. The people who go there aren't jocks in pursuit of buff bodies. They're stroke patients struggling to regain use of their limbs. They're people post bariatric surgery weighing 300, 400 pounds or more, who were told move it or die. They're elders, trying to maintain their independance for as long as possible. They are my heros, every one of them. There's a 97th birthday party next friday. I hope some day to celebrate MY 97th there.

Goal - I'd like to lose another 45 pounds this year. My doctor said get down to 200. I can do that, for SURE.

I now have a bigger goal. I'm 62 this month. Before I turn 65, I'd like to be off all medication. I'd like to weigh 147 pounds. But even if none of that happens, I *will* be the healthiest me possible when I get to 65.

You guys have a few advantages. You don't have 6 decades of bad habits behind you. You're not 100 pounds over weight. You are young. You have energy and stamina. If you don't just "go on a diet" but learn good habits *NOW* and practice them, you won't ever be where I am at 62. And, if they follow your example, your kids won't either.

<old lady lies panting on the floor, rant over>

Lisa, this is terrific! I've tried to navigate the WISH boards too, and joined the WW one a few times, but this is SO much better!! Love Love LOVE doing this with my DIS Buds!!

I have SO much weight to lose, but I carry it well, and people have no idea how much I really weigh...and I want to keep it that way :lmao: I'm 5'6" and goal is 175. Last time I lost significant weight, I was doing Jenny Craig and walking 3mi every day. Got within 10lbs of goal. This time, no Jenny, and I have the gym at work, but I gained all that I lost PLUS more significant weight!

My last number is 5. I weigh on Monday with my DH. I have a calendar in the bathroom, my pen is pink, and his is black. The calendar is of the cutest piggies :lmao: This month there is one in a bubble bath...but I digress... I told him piggy calendars for the weigh-ins :rotfl2: gotta see the humor in that...

There is a great free site, Sparkpeople.com. They have online journaling, and a diet (only if you want, you can turn it off) plus exercise stuff, and motivational emails...

I find if I journal, I do better...

Hi Lisa,
My weigh in day is Monday. I'm hoping that by making it Monday it will help me TRY to be good over the weekend so Tuesdays are fine.
My ending number today is 8.

LindaBabe- YOU are my inspiration! Thank you for sharing your story! You aren't much older tham I am, I'll be 50 this year :scared1: (I told y'all I was old) And I have lots to lose. I didn't change over to diabetes yet, but the doc said it's looming in my future if I don't do something about it now. I would love to be off the extra meds, and just take my thyroid (auto-immune issue) and my vits!

I'm so glad you shared, and are in this group!

Debbie, I'm right behind you in age. I'll be 48 shortly.

I'm in for losing weight! I will give you a starting number in the morning as I have no idea how much I weigh at the moment. I've been scared to get on the scales!! I do know I want to lose about 50 pounds and know that it'll take time. I'm going to start exercising regularly and eating better rather than going on a specified diet. The word "diet" will automatically make me eat junk!:goodvibes

It's true Stephanie, time is the thing. I still want the fast fix, but I'm coming to realize it's a life change, not a crash diet like in the past. Healthier, not skinnier, that's what I'm going for.

And glad there are a few of us that are "older" (ya know I say that with love... I am older than you afterall :lmao:) But it is harder for us, and to see how well Linda did and is still doing, I have hope!

I But the food industry is conspiring against us. Anyway, the old lady's on a roll, so bear with me.

Why do I say that? Look at all the ads! They've given us a warped sense of portion size. They advertise MOST heavily all the things that are bad for us - soda pop. beer. Cinnabon. big thick juicy burgers. They have specials on the food channel - this weekend it was 5 hours of the top 100 places to chow down - on ribs, fries, sandwiches, burgers, wings etc - and the portions were big enough to feed a small NATION. This isn't normal, folks!

Even more insideous is high fructose corn syrup. It's like crack for the carb addicted, and it's in EVERYTHING. Try finding a loaf of bread without it. <breathe>

You are SO right. Thanks for sharing your experience and wisdom with us!

I came across these cool "portion control" plates just yesterday. I actually showed them (online) to DH (who needs to "lose a few" pounds, but due to portion control issues, not snacking or lack of physical exercise). He actually blanched when he saw them - "these aren't REAL portions?" Um...they are, just not ones YOU'RE used to! Not sure I'm going to order them, but may just try to use our own to do the same thing.. But, these plates are a gimmick, but a helpful one that actually might get the portion control message across enough for it to stick. We'll see...

http://www.slimware.com/Articles.asp?ID=139

Your observation about the HFSC is right on, too. Scary how much of that chemical crap is in so many foods. I make our own daily white whole wheat bread and jars of grape jelly too (just grape juice, pectin, and sugar...easy peasy). Couldn't find commercially-available ones without the HFCS. Gonna add BBQ sauce to my homemade list next - HFCS is in practically all of 'em on the store shelves.

Wow Linda! im right there with you on so many points but I could never do that with recipes, etc. After I had my GB my diabetes went into remission and I have taken nothing for it since Feb 14th, 2005.
I say remission because once you have the gene its always there.
And I agree, this should be fun with our Disfriends.

It's true Stephanie, time is the thing. I still want the fast fix, but I'm coming to realize it's a life change, not a crash diet like in the past. Healthier, not skinnier, that's what I'm going for.

And glad there are a few of us that are "older" (ya know I say that with love... I am older than you afterall :lmao:) But it is harder for us, and to see how well Linda did and is still doing, I have hope!

I'm going to be, sigh, 40 this year. I want to be Fabulous and 40, so I'm on a mission. It will definitely take longer than I want it to, but I really need to make a LIFE change, not go on a DIET.

Linda, you are definitely the Leader of the Looking to Lose Ladies!!!! What an inspiration you are to all of us.

Stephanie, I am with you. If I say I am dieting, I immediately go into eating mood. I have to look at it that I am eating healthy. We eat lots of fruit and veggies. I think I too need to look at portion sizes. With DH pre-diabetic, we are making further changes. I know I eat when I am stressed. If I am having a bad morning, without thinking I will go for a large dunkachino at Dunkin Donuts. Guess I need to look on easing the stress.

I want that plate!!!!

Go Linda Go Linda Go Linda!!!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I want you around at 97 too!!! Oh my, how many scrapbooks will I inherit by then........

LindaBabe- YOU are my inspiration! Thank you for sharing your story! You aren't much older tham I am, I'll be 50 this year :scared1: (I told y'all I was old) And I have lots to lose. I didn't change over to diabetes yet, but the doc said it's looming in my future if I don't do something about it now. I would love to be off the extra meds, and just take my thyroid (auto-immune issue) and my vits!

I'm so glad you shared, and are in this group!
Thank you for the praise - you warm my heart- it has been a lonely slog, I can tell you. First off, My two closest (in distance) girl friends kinda dropped out of sight when I stopped inviting them over for carb laden crock pot meals :(

I always put everybody else's needs first (doesn't that sound familiar?? ) But with that diagnosis, I was forced to put MY needs first - it was a tough lesson. For the first few months, I had to pretty much spend all my extra energy figuring out what to eat, how to fix it, how to shop a new way, and exercising. I don't know how I could have done it when I worked - and yet - that's exactly what you younger girls are going to have to do. AND YOU CAN, it will just take a little time.

There IS always hope. I SWORE I would never go on another diet, because every time I did, I gained it all back and then some. This time, it's not about the weight for me - it's about keeping that DAMNED A1C as low as I can get it - and thereby keeping my sight and my feet and avoiding a heart attack.

You are SO right. Thanks for sharing your experience and wisdom with us!

I came across these cool "portion control" plates just yesterday. I actually showed them (online) to DH (who needs to "lose a few" pounds, but due to portion control issues, not snacking or lack of physical exercise). He actually blanched when he saw them - "these aren't REAL portions?" Um...they are, just not ones YOU'RE used to! Not sure I'm going to order them, but may just try to use our own to do the same thing.. But, these plates are a gimmick, but a helpful one that actually might get the portion control message across enough for it to stick. We'll see...

http://www.slimware.com/Articles.asp?ID=139

Your observation about the HFSC is right on, too. Scary how much of that chemical crap is in so many foods. I make our own daily white whole wheat bread and jars of grape jelly too (just grape juice, pectin, and sugar...easy peasy). Couldn't find commercially-available ones without the HFCS. Gonna add BBQ sauce to my homemade list next - HFCS is in practically all of 'em on the store shelves.

The first time I showed my dh a 3 oc portion of meat I thought he'd faint. :rotfl: After 11 months, though he now eats 2 scoops of ice cream instead of a small mountain. It hasn't been easy. You have to sneak up on them, a tablespoon less per time.

Wow Linda! im right there with you on so many points but I could never do that with recipes, etc. After I had my GB my diabetes went into remission and I have taken nothing for it since Feb 14th, 2005.
I say remission because once you have the gene its always there.
And I agree, this should be fun with our Disfriends.

The recipes are not so hard. You CAN do it. HOW did you get your diabetes into remission??

Linda, you are definitely the Leader of the Looking to Lose Ladies!!!! What an inspiration you are to all of us.

Stephanie, I am with you. If I say I am dieting, I immediately go into eating mood. I have to look at it that I am eating healthy. We eat lots of fruit and veggies. I think I too need to look at portion sizes. With DH pre-diabetic, we are making further changes. I know I eat when I am stressed. If I am having a bad morning, without thinking I will go for a large dunkachino at Dunkin Donuts. Guess I need to look on easing the stress.

No leader here. Just a year of experience under my belt. I look in the mirror and I still see the fat lady, and probably always will. (OH! While you're just starting do something I regret not having done - MEASURE YOURSELF and write it down. Data doesn't lie. If I could look back and say I lost x inches, it might be easier).

Warning - fruit is FULL of sugar. People are different, of course, but all I can eat is a half cup of cantalope or berries, half an apple, half a pear, a small clementine, or the very occasional slice of fresh pineapple without spiking my sugar. If you are carb sensitive, it might be a bit of a danger zone for you too.

If we just start thinking before we put something in our mouths, that's a huge step. We can then CHOOSE to eat the difficult item, or not. But it's a choice, with the brain engaged. Which I find, like that hot fudge sundae, is enjoyed more.

I want that plate!!!!

Go Linda Go Linda Go Linda!!!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I want you around at 97 too!!! Oh my, how many scrapbooks will I inherit by then........

Buffy, dear, if you had the space, you could start receiving them now! Oh, and BTW, my executor needs a better address for you than BAMB Blink, Blink and you miss it, CT. :rotfl:

OK, LindaBabe - I have you in age (63), have you in weight (now that you have lost so much), do not have your will power, have your diabetes (sugar level is now so low that I may come off part/all of my meds when my next blood test is taken in May, and am very proud of you!!!!! I am determined to lose 10 lbs before my trip to WDW with my students in April (otherwise i can be pushed in a wheelchair) since I need to keep up with them, no, stay ahead of them!!!!
You go girl!!! And, to the rest of you, great success.

Portion control is such a big thing! Its so difficult when you get home from work and its cold and you're tired.... I sometimes have a WW ready meal but they're mostly sooooo small (only way they get them that low in points I suppose...)I have to be careful not to pick at stuff:guilty:

I'm away next week where it will be impossible to be "good", so I aim to up the exercise to make up for it:thumbsup2

Okay, I got on the scale this morning and I'm starting this out at 0. I actually have lost some weight since the last time I weighed myself!!!:banana: It's probably because I'm working now and more active than I was before.

Linda, your story was so, so inspirational! And I have to agree with you about advertisements, etc. I also get frustrated that "bad" food (chips, soda, etc) is SO MUCH CHEAPER than "good" food. We eat the Baked Lays chips here for snacks. At our Walmart (where we get groceries), they are almost DOUBLE the cost of regular chips! It makes me mad!

Anyway, I'm glad we have such a great group here. I think we can really support each other and get this done.

I didn't get up this morning--well, actually, I turned off the alarm in my sleep evidently and didn't get up for the treadmill. I AM GOING TO DO IT tonight. I put that in capitals, because I am so bad to say that and then come home, be tired, and not do it. So, I'm going to! And I hate that I didn't do it this morning because I can already tell I feel sluggish in the way I DON'T feel if I exercise in the morning!

Ok, off my blah blah blah! Have an AWESOME Wednesday, everyone!!

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories.

Linda, gosh, you are amazing. It is not easy to put ourselves first. I don't care how many times L'orel says "you are worth it", we are conditioned from a very young age to believe that the woman is the care taker, the glue, the doormat. And we are the enlightened society. :confused3

LovingtheMouse - way to go girl!! I've read that is hard to control the sugar levels and you got yours so low. :thumbsup2

My legs hurt from the two days of harder than normal exercising and the sled/hill climbing last night didn't help any. :rotfl2: But I will still do my exercising and say very bad words in my head. I'll write that down on my other post when I actually do it. :thumbsup2

On a positive note - I didn't have have a single mint yesterday. :thumbsup2

Ok I'm in. I have no scale but I went to the Drs recently and I have gained 30lbs since MA 's passing. :scared1:

so I need to do something. So I want to loose mine in 5lbs increments.
If that's ok. And I won't say a total because I will scare myself off from doing it if I see that big number all at once.
Tiny steps at a time for me........

I'm 44! ( holy cow how'd that happen??) and I so can not say the word diet because it pushes me to just starve myself for a few days then just say forget it and go back to unhealthy habits. So I will NOT say the d word.

And bubba calls them LIBS!!!! which is so funny for me. When we were cleaning out ma's apartment we were in the elevator and it says it can hold X amount of lbs and he asked what libs were!!!!! Ever since then dh and I have called them libs. So my first goal is 5 libs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter