Looking to start running.....help

Elsaalltheway

DIS Veteran
Hello all you runners out there. I guess I should first start by giving a little background about myself. I'm in my early 40's, never enjoyed running, very overweight. I went through a surgery last Nov and for some reason I've decided its really time to get into shape and start thinking about myself. I love Disney and next year I want to do a half marathon. I figure a year should be enough time to start training. For all you runners out there what can you suggest to help me get started on my journey? Any help will be most welcome.

Congratulations.

I would do two things as a starting point.
1. Find a training plan:
You could find a couch to 5k training plan. These are designed to ease you into running and keep you uninjured.

You could also look at a galloway (run walk plan) http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners/ They may also have local groups you can train with. I find running is easier when I'm there with people to motivate me, but ymmv.

2. Get a good pair of shoes (and socks) Go to a real running store and get fitted for shoes that work for you.

Optional number 3 find a race to sign up for to set up motivation for you. It could be a local 5k or maybe one of the runDisney virtual 5ks. Just find something to focus on so that you have a goal you are working too.

My biggest advice is to take things slowly (best way to get injured is by doing too much too fast) and recognize that running is difficult and that gains (in either weight loss or fitness) will not come as quickly as we all would like. Stick with it, keep moving forward, and you will eventually start to experience all of the positives that running can bring to your life.

I started running for a very similar reason and it was really difficult for me to keep getting out there (and on some days it still is) but running is a tremendous positive influence in my life.

I realize this is very generalized stuff, but I think the hardest part is getting out there and continuing to get out there when the going gets tough. You'll figure out the specifics along the way.

I second the notion of proper running shoes. Depending on where you live, there should be a shoe store that can properly fit you in a specific shoe designed to accommodate your foot and arch. If you can't find a running partner, look at getting a gps watch that will track your pace, distance, time, etc. It really helped motivate me when I first started running.

Congratulations.

I would do two things as a starting point.
1. Find a training plan:
You could find a couch to 5k training plan. These are designed to ease you into running and keep you uninjured.

You could also look at a galloway (run walk plan) http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners/ They may also have local groups you can train with. I find running is easier when I'm there with people to motivate me, but ymmv.

2. Get a good pair of shoes (and socks) Go to a real running store and get fitted for shoes that work for you.

Optional number 3 find a race to sign up for to set up motivation for you. It could be a local 5k or maybe one of the runDisney virtual 5ks. Just find something to focus on so that you have a goal you are working too.
Thank you. It's funny, when I was in school I would do the Jeff Galloway thing, but my teacher never really liked that, but at least I finished the race. The only time I can remember when I didn't walk during a mile was when I was going through bootcamp.

My biggest advice is to take things slowly (best way to get injured is by doing too much too fast) and recognize that running is difficult and that gains (in either weight loss or fitness) will not come as quickly as we all would like. Stick with it, keep moving forward, and you will eventually start to experience all of the positives that running can bring to your life.

I started running for a very similar reason and it was really difficult for me to keep getting out there (and on some days it still is) but running is a tremendous positive influence in my life.

I realize this is very generalized stuff, but I think the hardest part is getting out there and continuing to get out there when the going gets tough. You'll figure out the specifics along the way.
I'm glad this is working for you and you are getting through it. I really want motivation and to be healthy. It's always been important to me, but every year, month, week, day. I just keep putting it off. Not anymore.

Just to emphasize this point... please get good running shoes before starting a running program. You do not want to get a joint or stress injury right out of the gate.
I was thinking of investing some money in a good pair of new balance shoes. I heard they are the best for runners.

I second the notion of proper running shoes. Depending on where you live, there should be a shoe store that can properly fit you in a specific shoe designed to accommodate your foot and arch. If you can't find a running partner, look at getting a gps watch that will track your pace, distance, time, etc. It really helped motivate me when I first started running.
I will be doing outdoors running for another two or three months then indoors. I live in AZ and the temp during the summer even at one in the morning can hover around 90. I'm going to go to my little brothers and borrow one of his treadmills.

I was thinking of investing some money in a good pair of new balance shoes. I heard they are the best for runners.

I would be hesitant to call any brand of shoes "the best for runners". There are a lot of great brands (NB, Brooks, Mizuno, ASICS, Saucony, Nike, just to name a few) out there and each individual has to find what works best for their foot, stride and body type. I would also encourage the visit to the running store for analysis and fitting. A good running store should be able to not just measure your foot, they should be able to analyze your gait and arch to determine what category shoe will work best for you and provide you with examples from multiple brands to try and see what feels best on your feet. Make sure they have a good return policy, too, so you can come back and exchange out if a shoe just doesn't work for you.

There are many good brands (New Balance, Saucony, Brooks, Mizuno, Nike, etc.), but within each brand, there are different types of shoes (neutral, stability, motion control) with different amount of cushioning and different drop levels (difference in heel height and toe height). You first need to understand what style of runner you are (i.e. how your foot strikes and leaves the ground when you're running). If you are just starting, you probably have no idea, and this is the reason several folks have recommended going to a local running store for your first pair of running shoes. Go to a running store that will monitor your running gait on a treadmill (just call a few and see which ones will do this). From this analysis, they can then recommend a good starting place for shoe types. Try on a few and see what you like.

I would recommend purchasing your first pair from the running store that actually performed the analysis. You may pay a little more than you can find online, but the online stores cannot analyze your running style.

ETA: jinx @camaker

C25k! It helped me get started and made figuring out what to do a lot less intimidating or confusing. It also doesn't tell you how fast you have to be, so you can go any speed you want.

There will be tough days, but the good days give such a confidence boost that it really makes up for any struggles. If you have a hard day, tell yourself the next day is going to be good. Positive thinking helps so much.

I'd also suggest good shoes!, but also at least one or two tech type material bottoms and a tech type t-shirt. So that you are comfortable while out there. Target has some very affordable stuff in all different lengths/types. Running can be hard, might as well be as comfy/cool as possible :)

Don't worry about keeping the walking breaks if that works better for you :) I found the run/walk/run method works really well for me and I don't think I would have been able to complete a half marathon without it. I agree with starting slow, every run doesn't have to be at a fast pace. And if you can find local races to sign up for on your way to the Disney half, that might be a good idea. It was helpful to me to keep up my motivation to have interim races. I started with a 5k, did a 10k (which you an use for getting into an earlier corral for the Disney races), a 10 miler, and then a half my first year of running. It was nice to have those races on the way. It also helped the half marathon or 10 miler not be too overwhelming.

And have fun! If you can find a local running group to join, that was really helpful to me as well.

WELCOME!

I love Disney and next year I want to do a half marathon. I figure a year should be enough time to start training.

It definitely is. I started running at the end of February last year (at 45 and zero running experience), with Princess Half as my goal, and I'm doing it in two weeks. You've got this!

You could also look at a galloway (run walk plan) http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners/

Sounds like you're familiar with the run/walk/run method. Do it for as long as you need to, even if that's forever. Intervals are what made running accessible for me, and I thought I'd never stop doing them. My body just clicked one day and figure out how to keep going. I don't do them as much any longer, but sometimes my body just needs them and I do. MANY runners, especially runDisney runners, use them all the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that if it's what makes running work for you!

Just to emphasize this point... please get good running shoes before starting a running program. You do not want to get a joint or stress injury right out of the gate.

Yes, PLEASE do this! And don't listen to anyone else who tells you what brand or style is "best" or "worst" for them, because you are unique. Go to a running store and get properly fitted. It's free and is kind of fun! Try as many pairs as you want, and try the shoes out on the treadmill in the store. Check their return policy, too. Most good running stores will let you run in shoes for as much as 30 days and still return or exchange them (even if you've used them outside). Something might feel right at the store, but you get a mile into a run and something isn't right. Be honest with the staff and don't be intimidated. Also be sure to get proper socks to prevent blisters.

I would be hesitant to call any brand of shoes "the best for runners". There are a lot of great brands (NB, Brooks, Mizuno, ASICS, Saucony, Nike, just to name a few) out there and each individual has to find what works best for their foot, stride and body type. I would also encourage the visit to the running store for analysis and fitting. A good running store should be able to not just measure your foot, they should be able to analyze your gait and arch to determine what category shoe will work best for you and provide you with examples from multiple brands to try and see what feels best on your feet. Make sure they have a good return policy, too, so you can come back and exchange out if a shoe just doesn't work for you.
Thank you I will look into this. This is very helpful. I'm breaking in some shoes right now for my disney trip in Sept.

C25k! It helped me get started and made figuring out what to do a lot less intimidating or confusing. It also doesn't tell you how fast you have to be, so you can go any speed you want.

There will be tough days, but the good days give such a confidence boost that it really makes up for any struggles. If you have a hard day, tell yourself the next day is going to be good. Positive thinking helps so much.

I'd also suggest good shoes!, but also at least one or two tech type material bottoms and a tech type t-shirt. So that you are comfortable while out there. Target has some very affordable stuff in all different lengths/types. Running can be hard, might as well be as comfy/cool as possible :)
Thank you. I will look into this. Any and all input is very welcome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter