Looking to start running.....help

Don't worry about keeping the walking breaks if that works better for you :) I found the run/walk/run method works really well for me and I don't think I would have been able to complete a half marathon without it. I agree with starting slow, every run doesn't have to be at a fast pace. And if you can find local races to sign up for on your way to the Disney half, that might be a good idea. It was helpful to me to keep up my motivation to have interim races. I started with a 5k, did a 10k (which you an use for getting into an earlier corral for the Disney races), a 10 miler, and then a half my first year of running. It was nice to have those races on the way. It also helped the half marathon or 10 miler not be too overwhelming.
Sounds like a path I hope to take next year. I'm looking at the Disneyland Star Wars and will hope to be able to work up to the 5K and 10K

WELCOME!

It definitely is. I started running at the end of February last year (at 45 and zero running experience), with Princess Half as my goal, and I'm doing it in two weeks. You've got this!

Sounds like you're familiar with the run/walk/run method. Do it for as long as you need to, even if that's forever. Intervals are what made running accessible for me, and I thought I'd never stop doing them. My body just clicked one day and figure out how to keep going. I don't do them as much any longer, but sometimes my body just needs them and I do. MANY runners, especially runDisney runners, use them all the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that if it's what makes running work for you!

Yes, PLEASE do this! And don't listen to anyone else who tells you what brand or style is "best" or "worst" for them, because you are unique. Go to a running store and get properly fitted. It's free and is kind of fun! Try as many pairs as you want, and try the shoes out on the treadmill in the store. Check their return policy, too. Most good running stores will let you run in shoes for as much as 30 days and still return or exchange them (even if you've used them outside). Something might feel right at the store, but you get a mile into a run and something isn't right. Be honest with the staff and don't be intimidated. Also be sure to get proper socks to prevent blisters.
Wow great information. Good luck on your run. I can't wait to do mine. I read a blog this week and just really got bit by the bug. I'm looking to improve the quality of my life and hope this will help add some cardio. I enjoy weights and have never enjoyed running at all., but I'm thinking this goal will get me to where I want to be. I love dis.

You've gotten a lot of great advice already! Just wanted to add one more thing - I assume you are a women (purely based on your username)...in addition to getting good shoes, get a good running bra. Makes a huge difference, trust me!! :eek: Victoria's Secret VSX and Moving Comfort are great options.

If you're not a women...well, sorry! :wave: ignore my post and focus on all of the great advice you've already gotten!

You've gotten a lot of great advice already! Just wanted to add one more thing - I assume you are a women (purely based on your username)...in addition to getting good shoes, get a good running bra. Makes a huge difference, trust me!! :eek: Victoria's Secret VSX and Moving Comfort are great options.

If you're not a women...well, sorry! :wave: ignore my post and focus on all of the great advice you've already gotten!
LOL. :D:yay: You are right on the money there. And thank you for the idea. I know a few ladies who have worn multiple sports bras to keep the ladies in check. I know I will have to find something too. Thank you for the advice. :worship:

All the information that has been provide is very good and helpful. I wish I knew some of this stuff when I first started running.

One thing that has not been mentioned yet, is nutrition. I suggest paying attention to what you are eating. Start off with a food journal. You will learn quickly what works for your body and how it effects you before and after a run. At the beginning my husband and I were terrible at it. There were a couple of times the night before a 5K, we would eat cheeseburgers and fries. I would end up feeling sluggish before, during and after my race. Also hydration. Take in fluids days before a race. There were times I would gulp down water at the hydration stations and could feel the liquid sloshing inside of me. I felt like crap and it made running uncomfortable.

C25k (couch to 5k) app

I'll second this one. I went with this when I first started (I hated running and convinced myself that it is purely mental). Work your way through that, move to 10k, and then move on to half training. Good luck with it.

All the information that has been provide is very good and helpful. I wish I knew some of this stuff when I first started running.

One thing that has not been mentioned yet, is nutrition. I suggest paying attention to what you are eating. Start off with a food journal. You will learn quickly what works for your body and how it effects you before and after a run. At the beginning my husband and I were terrible at it. There were a couple of times the night before a 5K, we would eat cheeseburgers and fries. I would end up feeling sluggish before, during and after my race. Also hydration. Take in fluids days before a race. There were times I would gulp down water at the hydration stations and could feel the liquid sloshing inside of me. I felt like crap and it made running uncomfortable.
Thank you. I decided to start a diet too. I think I will first try losing fifty pounds, since I have a year I hope this is feasable, if not I'll start changing my diet two or three months before the race. I'm going to cut out carbs for the first three months, but I know I'll need them come race time and I figure three months should get my body back to easing them back in.

I'll second this one. I went with this when I first started (I hated running and convinced myself that it is purely mental). Work your way through that, move to 10k, and then move on to half training. Good luck with it.
Thank you. I'm lucky that the neighborhood I live in is a perfect half mile around it. I'm going to try and keep it in the neighborhood and try this. Thank you again.

Yay!! Welcome to running! Lots of good advice has been mentioned.

I, too started with a couch to 5k app. And it worked for a while until I would have to run longer segments at a time. My problem was my pacing - I knew nothing about it. I found an app called Gipis (I think it's only available on an iPhone). This app helped tremendously. It had a training plan, and then it would tell you what pace you should be running at. If you were running too fast, it would tell you to slow down. If you were running too slow, it would tell you to speed up. This is how I learned that I was trying to run too fast for me to go the distance or time I wanted. Every time I went out to run - it was pretty much a sprint (maybe not quite, but close), and I hated it. This app helped me slow down, and when I did this is when I started to like running. :) I used this app about 3 years ago, so I'm sure there are other apps out there that do the same thing or are better. Just wanted to offer something that really helped me when I first started to run. I may still not be that fast, but I enjoy it and have now ran 7 marathons and several halves.

You can do it, just start slowly and build mileage slowly so you don't get injured like others have suggested.

Baby steps! We all remember when running 2 miles seemed impossible. And then 5 miles. And before you know it, those are your easy day runs.

Yay!! Welcome to running! Lots of good advice has been mentioned.

I, too started with a couch to 5k app. And it worked for a while until I would have to run longer segments at a time. My problem was my pacing - I knew nothing about it. I found an app called Gipis (I think it's only available on an iPhone). This app helped tremendously. It had a training plan, and then it would tell you what pace you should be running at. If you were running too fast, it would tell you to slow down. If you were running too slow, it would tell you to speed up. This is how I learned that I was trying to run too fast for me to go the distance or time I wanted. Every time I went out to run - it was pretty much a sprint (maybe not quite, but close), and I hated it. This app helped me slow down, and when I did this is when I started to like running. :) I used this app about 3 years ago, so I'm sure there are other apps out there that do the same thing or are better. Just wanted to offer something that really helped me when I first started to run. I may still not be that fast, but I enjoy it and have now ran 7 marathons and several halves.

You can do it, just start slowly and build mileage slowly so you don't get injured like others have suggested.
Wow this a awesome. I just got an Ipone last year. And it was only so my friends could track me, but I've even got rid of that app. I'm def going to look into this app. Thank you. And wow on your accomplishments. I hope that is me someday. My sit down office desk job is sucking a lot out of me. 20 years of this is really getting to me. I just went out and bought a bike that I can set up with my desk and at least get in some exercise.

Baby steps! We all remember when running 2 miles seemed impossible. And then 5 miles. And before you know it, those are your easy day runs.
Thank you. I've never been a runner, but actually longed to run. I don't know why. I just need to, as the song says, put one foot in front of the other.

So just a question. Are energy drinks, such as RockStar frowned upon? I know I'll be cutting out coffee except on weekends, but I have a case of energy drinks and wanted to know what people think of them.

Here is my advice, based on nothing but my own experience:

When you start, measure your runs by time not distance. It does a couple of things:
1. Eliminates the problem of running too fast 'to get it over with'.
2. It means you don't have to run on a track or measure distances or get a GPS watch.
3. You automatically go further as you get faster and fitter.

Stick with it. Missing a run is not the end of the world. Just don't let a bad day turn into a bad week turn into a bad month.

Put your running clothes on right away. It eliminates an obstacle and once you have them on, its more work to change out of them than just go run!

...put one foot in front of the other...

Just keep doing that and the rest will work out!

Here is my advice, based on nothing but my own experience:

When you start, measure your runs by time not distance. It does a couple of things:
1. Eliminates the problem of running too fast 'to get it over with'.
2. It means you don't have to run on a track or measure distances or get a GPS watch.
3. You automatically go further as you get faster and fitter.

Stick with it. Missing a run is not the end of the world. Just don't let a bad day turn into a bad week turn into a bad month.

Put your running clothes on right away. It eliminates an obstacle and once you have them on, its more work to change out of them than just go run!

Just keep doing that and the rest will work out!
Thank you. I will plan on that. I didn't want to do a new years resolution, but a lifestyle change.

I was actually morbidly obese when I began (attempting) running in the beginning of 2015. Since then, I've lost over 100 pounds and run my first marathon. I am running my second marathon in a couple of weeks and plan to sign up to run the Dopey in 2018. It took me a full year to go from my couch to running my first half marathon. What worked for me:

1. Start slow. I remember the first time I ran three minutes without stopping. It was like a gold medal. But doing too much too fast leads to injury and frustration. Listen to your body and remember to rest and pace yourself!
  2. Eating right is half the battle. Running while carrying extra weight is hard on joints, and my hips and feet felt the extra pounds. (I developed plantar fasciitis a couple months in and had to cut way back). You'll find running gets easier the lighter you are and the better you eat.
  3. As others have said, shoes made all the difference in the world. It was intimidating walking into a running store for the first time, but the right place will make you feel welcome and want to help you find the right ones. It really helps!
  4. The right clothing. Breathable and sweat wicking fabrics, along with a good sports bra make all the difference in the world.
  5. Run/Walk is an awesome way to start...and finish. I still run/walk. In fact, I've run a 25 min 5k with run/walk. I don't think I would have stuck with running, especially at the beginning, without the run/walk method.
  6. Just keep moving. You will face roadblocks, setbacks, injuries, and wanting to give up. Keep moving. As I said, I developed plantar fasciitis and had to quit running for several months at the beginning of my journey. I switched to the rowing machine and the elliptical and just kept working. I still made my goal of a half marathon by the end of the year.
You can do it!

To piggyback on the running shoe thing, and if it was stated I missed it, go get a fitting at a running store. They will look at how you run and make suggestions based on your gait. They may also suggest suportive insoles to go with your shoes. I would also suggest investing in some non-cotton running socks. Cotton socks trap sweat and can lead to blisters.

Something to keep in mind is no matter how excited and motivated you are to start running you will have terrible runs. You will have days you just don't feel like doing a run. You will be a mile into a run and be miserable. You will have that moment where you think "what was I thinking? I should be loving this by now but I just don't". All of that is totally normal and something those of us who have been doing this a while and generally love running feel from time to time. Don't let it discourage you. Even the best chef in the world has days they don't want to cook.

So just a question. Are energy drinks, such as RockStar frowned upon? I know I'll be cutting out coffee except on weekends, but I have a case of energy drinks and wanted to know what people think of them.

I am not a fan of energy drinks. They are full of sugar or artificial sweetener and other science experiments. There is nothing wrong with coffee (baring some other medical condition) as long as you drink it black. Skip creamer and sugar and it actually has health benefits though that is something I'd encourage you to research yourself.

Lots of good advice. Just wanted to add my good luck and welcome. And don't be overwhelmed feeling like you have to "get it all right, right now". You will figure out the training, fueling, clothes, etc. that works best for you as you go along. You will have good days, bad days, triumphs and mistakes--like every one of us has.

Keep asking the questions!

I was actually morbidly obese when I began (attempting) running in the beginning of 2015. Since then, I've lost over 100 pounds and run my first marathon. I am running my second marathon in a couple of weeks and plan to sign up to run the Dopey in 2018. It took me a full year to go from my couch to running my first half marathon. What worked for me:

1. Start slow. I remember the first time I ran three minutes without stopping. It was like a gold medal. But doing too much too fast leads to injury and frustration. Listen to your body and remember to rest and pace yourself!
  2. Eating right is half the battle. Running while carrying extra weight is hard on joints, and my hips and feet felt the extra pounds. (I developed plantar fasciitis a couple months in and had to cut way back). You'll find running gets easier the lighter you are and the better you eat.
  3. As others have said, shoes made all the difference in the world. It was intimidating walking into a running store for the first time, but the right place will make you feel welcome and want to help you find the right ones. It really helps!
  4. The right clothing. Breathable and sweat wicking fabrics, along with a good sports bra make all the difference in the world.
  5. Run/Walk is an awesome way to start...and finish. I still run/walk. In fact, I've run a 25 min 5k with run/walk. I don't think I would have stuck with running, especially at the beginning, without the run/walk method.
  6. Just keep moving. You will face roadblocks, setbacks, injuries, and wanting to give up. Keep moving. As I said, I developed plantar fasciitis and had to quit running for several months at the beginning of my journey. I switched to the rowing machine and the elliptical and just kept working. I still made my goal of a half marathon by the end of the year.
You can do it!
That is great. :thanks: I can't wait to get started. I've had some life set backs in the last year. I'm pushing my friend to do this with me. I cant wait to get out there. I'll take everything you said into my own plan. It sounds odd but im excited to start working out. :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter