Looking to start running.....help

To piggyback on the running shoe thing, and if it was stated I missed it, go get a fitting at a running store. They will look at how you run and make suggestions based on your gait. They may also suggest suportive insoles to go with your shoes. I would also suggest investing in some non-cotton running socks. Cotton socks trap sweat and can lead to blisters.

Something to keep in mind is no matter how excited and motivated you are to start running you will have terrible runs. You will have days you just don't feel like doing a run. You will be a mile into a run and be miserable. You will have that moment where you think "what was I thinking? I should be loving this by now but I just don't". All of that is totally normal and something those of us who have been doing this a while and generally love running feel from time to time. Don't let it discourage you. Even the best chef in the world has days they don't want to cook.

I am not a fan of energy drinks. They are full of sugar or artificial sweetener and other science experiments. There is nothing wrong with coffee (baring some other medical condition) as long as you drink it black. Skip creamer and sugar and it actually has health benefits though that is something I'd encourage you to research yourself.
Thank you. I was going to cut out all sugars in my diet starting Monday.

Lots of good advice. Just wanted to add my good luck and welcome. And don't be overwhelmed feeling like you have to "get it all right, right now". You will figure out the training, fueling, clothes, etc. that works best for you as you go along. You will have good days, bad days, triumphs and mistakes--like every one of us has.

Keep asking the questions!
Thank you. I look forward to getting started and believe I have been given some great information so far.

A few things to add. You mention that you are overweight. Me too, so a few things to keep in mind. First, shoes will likely not last as long as they would for smaller runners. Be prepared. Everyone has said it, but I can't overemphasize the importance of good shoes. Second, be very careful not to overdo it. As a woman with excess weight, you are at greater risk of injury, especially things like stress fractures. Having done that a few times myself, you don't want to go there, LOL. The best thing is be sure to rest enough and don't increase speed or mileage too quickly. Jeff Galloway's plans are very good for injury prevention. Finally, and this is really important, don't diet too much. You are never going to do well learning to run if you are trying to survive on 1200 calories a day or something crazy. If you are going to run, you are probably going to lose weight more slowly, but you will be so much healthier.

I started running (for real) in June. I was over 250 pounds and my first jog I thought I would die at 30 seconds. My muscles screamed and I didn't think this would ever be possible. I got a hip fracture in October (most of which was pushing too hard, especially for my body). I'm about to run Princess Glass Slipper and have lost some weight. (That wasn't a goal when I started running.) Only about 25 pounds, which is <1 pound/week, but I am so much healthier and feel like a new woman!

Keep asking questions. This is such a great, supportive group of people here.

A few things to add. You mention that you are overweight. Me too, so a few things to keep in mind. First, shoes will likely not last as long as they would for smaller runners. Be prepared. Everyone has said it, but I can't overemphasize the importance of good shoes. Second, be very careful not to overdo it. As a woman with excess weight, you are at greater risk of injury, especially things like stress fractures. Having done that a few times myself, you don't want to go there, LOL. The best thing is be sure to rest enough and don't increase speed or mileage too quickly. Jeff Galloway's plans are very good for injury prevention. Finally, and this is really important, don't diet too much. You are never going to do well learning to run if you are trying to survive on 1200 calories a day or something crazy. If you are going to run, you are probably going to lose weight more slowly, but you will be so much healthier.

I started running (for real) in June. I was over 250 pounds and my first jog I thought I would die at 30 seconds. My muscles screamed and I didn't think this would ever be possible. I got a hip fracture in October (most of which was pushing too hard, especially for my body). I'm about to run Princess Glass Slipper and have lost some weight. (That wasn't a goal when I started running.) Only about 25 pounds, which is <1 pound/week, but I am so much healthier and feel like a new woman!

Keep asking questions. This is such a great, supportive group of people here.
Thank you. I will keep all this information. I can't wait to start. I have the Jeff Galloway plan already on my pc ready to start.

I've run two 5K's at WDW. Doing it again in Nov, with my 23 y/o dd....she's never run other than to the kitchen to refill her glass of wine!!! So, not looking to improve on my previous times!! But, may do the 10K too!! Have to think about that one.
In any case....I'm not a runner. I was a nasty fast sprinter in my younger days...so running any kind of distance is hard for me...I want to go out fast and finish fast. But, even a 5K is too long for someone in my shape to sprint!!! My best piece of advice will echo what others here have said...shoes!!! Dear God, good shoes make such a difference. When dd comes home this summer (she's a CM at WDW), I'm taking her to the running store in town and get her fitted with good shoes so she can continue training in decent shoes.
I've worn Mizuno before, for both my 5ks and loved them. Now, I'm wearing Brooks Dyads. They are probably some of the ugliest shoes I've worn, but man, my feet feel good!!!! I was hesitant when the fitter brought them out. But, I told him I was a walker, training up to running. He was 100% right. I thought the Mizuno's felt good...these are heavenly. I'll need another pair before the fall, but they're worth the cost!!! Get fitted!!!!!

I've run two 5K's at WDW. Doing it again in Nov, with my 23 y/o dd....she's never run other than to the kitchen to refill her glass of wine!!! So, not looking to improve on my previous times!! But, may do the 10K too!! Have to think about that one.
In any case....I'm not a runner. I was a nasty fast sprinter in my younger days...so running any kind of distance is hard for me...I want to go out fast and finish fast. But, even a 5K is too long for someone in my shape to sprint!!! My best piece of advice will echo what others here have said...shoes!!! Dear God, good shoes make such a difference. When dd comes home this summer (she's a CM at WDW), I'm taking her to the running store in town and get her fitted with good shoes so she can continue training in decent shoes.
I've worn Mizuno before, for both my 5ks and loved them. Now, I'm wearing Brooks Dyads. They are probably some of the ugliest shoes I've worn, but man, my feet feel good!!!! I was hesitant when the fitter brought them out. But, I told him I was a walker, training up to running. He was 100% right. I thought the Mizuno's felt good...these are heavenly. I'll need another pair before the fall, but they're worth the cost!!! Get fitted!!!!!
Thank you, I'm going to do that. I'm going to do the running walking thing and I also found an app for couch to 10, its a 12 week program so I figure in a week or two I will go to Phoenix and they have one of the top rated running shoe stores across the nation. I'm very overweight and I heard you run through shoes at a faster pace. I am on a tight budget right now so I may have to save up. Again thank you for the feedback.

Another thing that helps with the shoe costs... I went to a running store and got fitted the first time. Then after that once I knew the make and model of shoe, I ordered them when they were discounted on Amazon. And I don't care much about color and stuff, which is good because it seems like the ugly colors are usually the ones with the biggest discounts!

Another thing that helps with the shoe costs... I went to a running store and got fitted the first time. Then after that once I knew the make and model of shoe, I ordered them when they were discounted on Amazon. And I don't care much about color and stuff, which is good because it seems like the ugly colors are usually the ones with the biggest discounts!
Thank you for that. I may go this sunday if they are open. I'll be checking this out.

Just to clarify, I did buy the shoes from the running store the first time. The store had a policy that you could return the shoes if they didn't work for you (I forget, maybe within 30 days?) and I would definitely recommend asking about the return policy. I only turned to Amazon once it was time to replace the shoes and I knew it was a model I was comfortable with.

Just to clarify, I did buy the shoes from the running store the first time. The store had a policy that you could return the shoes if they didn't work for you (I forget, maybe within 30 days?) and I would definitely recommend asking about the return policy. I only turned to Amazon once it was time to replace the shoes and I knew it was a model I was comfortable with.
Oh, no, I totally understood to buy the first pair there. They put in the effort to help and it would be unkind to not reward them with at least one purchase. I totally understand that.

Keep in mind that if you buy an older version of a shoe, it may not be the same as your current version - for example, if you get fitted and like the Brooks Adrenalines version 17, and you go online to buy the Brooks Adrenalines version 16 at a discount, the 16s may not be the same as the 17s...if that makes sense.

Yea you!

I haven't read everything. I started in 2009 at 46... you're in good company.

+1 on the C25K - gentle start and repeat weeks if you feel like it.

For shoes: Get running shoes, but don't sweat the details yet. Lots of people find that a certain brand fits them best. Spend some time in a running shoe store. Try on entry level neutral running shoes in a few brands - New Balance, Brooks, Asics, Nike. A neutral shoe isn't trying to correct anything about your gait. Use these shoes a few months and then flip them over. Where are they worn? Heel, outside, middle of the forefoot? That tells you SO MUCH about how you're running. I do not believe anyone watching you walk around the shoe store can tell you about your pronation. Yeah, you'd be able to get the shoes cheaper online, but get your first pair at the store.

I found a lot of help in Marathoning for Mortals, by John Bingham. Don't let the distance in the title scare you. It's a good journey read.

On chafing. When skin meets skin there will be pain. I've never found a lotion that will stop it. Get some compression shorts. Wear them as underwear. It will matter soon.

If something starts to hurt ease up. Then examine the pain... if it gets worse as you're exercising = STOP. If it diminishes as you warm up = GO EASY. And a note about healing... the more blood flow a part gets the faster it heals or improves... heart muscle improves fastest - you'll feel stronger. Muscles heal/recover slower than the heart. Tendons and ligaments are the strings and straps that hold us together. They are tough, but if hurt can take a LONG time to come back to full strength.

Keep in mind that if you buy an older version of a shoe, it may not be the same as your current version - for example, if you get fitted and like the Brooks Adrenalines version 17, and you go online to buy the Brooks Adrenalines version 16 at a discount, the 16s may not be the same as the 17s...if that makes sense.
That makes total sense. Thank you.

Yea you!

I haven't read everything. I started in 2009 at 46... you're in good company.

+1 on the C25K - gentle start and repeat weeks if you feel like it.

For shoes: Get running shoes, but don't sweat the details yet. Lots of people find that a certain brand fits them best. Spend some time in a running shoe store. Try on entry level neutral running shoes in a few brands - New Balance, Brooks, Asics, Nike. A neutral shoe isn't trying to correct anything about your gait. Use these shoes a few months and then flip them over. Where are they worn? Heel, outside, middle of the forefoot? That tells you SO MUCH about how you're running. I do not believe anyone watching you walk around the shoe store can tell you about your pronation. Yeah, you'd be able to get the shoes cheaper online, but get your first pair at the store.

I found a lot of help in Marathoning for Mortals, by John Bingham. Don't let the distance in the title scare you. It's a good journey read.

On chafing. When skin meets skin there will be pain. I've never found a lotion that will stop it. Get some compression shorts. Wear them as underwear. It will matter soon.

If something starts to hurt ease up. Then examine the pain... if it gets worse as you're exercising = STOP. If it diminishes as you warm up = GO EASY. And a note about healing... the more blood flow a part gets the faster it heals or improves... heart muscle improves fastest - you'll feel stronger. Muscles heal/recover slower than the heart. Tendons and ligaments are the strings and straps that hold us together. They are tough, but if hurt can take a LONG time to come back to full strength.
Wow that is a lot to think about. Thank you so much. I'll take everything you say to heart. Was going to start this week but it appears I have a few things I need to get first to get ready to start. I was thinking of doing a few mile walks just to get the blood pumping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter