• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

M&G etiquette

I have waited in those long lines for characters, as has my disabled DS. We went prepared with small towel for him to sit on, water in backpack and music to listen to. If he can do it, anyone can do it. If you can't/won't - then I would not get in line.

From our experience, it is Disney policy that all members must be in line. These are just two of our experiences:

Have seen a woman waiting while her children did other things be told by CM she must leave the line and do not re-enter until her party is together and prepared to wait. And she must re-enter at the back of the line. A manager actually got involved and completely backed the CM.

Have seen the CM at the specialty characters tell guests they must all enter the line together, stay and can not join later. Once for Sandy Claws the line was long and tight together. We were willing to wait but DS has issues with the logistics. We spoke to the CM and he told us, that normally if he didn't enter the line with the group he would not be allowed to join, but it was the end of the night, he could tell DS was nervous so he said his siblings could get in line and if we stayed right there outside the line and waited (where he could see us), he would let him join (aka no running off for rides, food etc).

In regards to the more open lines like 7 Dwarfs used to be ... I do not believe at all it happens because Disney is okay with it, it happens because Disney doesn't have the manpower out there to police it. I think it's why they are moving these lines into areas where they have a queue setup.

Last edited:
It's almost like Disney plans for this to happen
I don't think Disney wants or expects people to all form a line due to the inefficiencies. Imagine asking a Disney bean counter: "Would you rather have 300 people in line to see Jack Skellington, or would you rather have 70 people in line, with the remaining 230 out of the line roaming around souvenir shops and concession stands?" and what do you think the answer would be.

For an average M&G on a regular day - I'm tolerate if one parent leaves with a small child for an emergency bathroom break. That's it. I expect your group to be in line and waiting - not part of your group off playing elsewhere in the park. And there is nothing more annoying to me when older teens join parents in line at the last minute. (Okay - the large tour groups joining up are a problem, too - but I haven't seen that in the past couple of years myself)

At the parties - in the outdoor queues for characters that will have 2+ hour waits - I have much more tolerance for coming and going. I still think it's in bad taste if you are a LARGE group (lets say greater than 8) for many people to converge in front of folks at the last minute after just one or two people actually waited. It's usually large groups of adults/older teens - and I just don't think that's cool. If you are a group of 15 and everyone's been in line most of the time and mom joins you with a 2-3 yo as the group gets close to the front - okay, I get it. I've waited in lines like these as a solo - and for me to take that emergency restroom break - I have to make nice with the folks around me - and I've never had trouble being temporarily adopted as part of their group so I could return to the same spot in line.

I'm totally okay if you eat in line - full meal, snacks, ice cream, etc. Now - if you are going to spill that food on me - well - I won't be so happy. I did have some 6-7 yo who was just being completely careless with his drink and he spilled it all over me one time. I was pretty mad at the parents as they had been totally inattentive to his behavior. But - really - I think that's a rare unfortunate event vs. the total number of folks who eat/drink in line.

In my opinion the only time anyone should leave a line is for an emergency bathroom break.

Other than that everyone should be waiting together in line. It's not fair the others around waiting in line for say 2 hours while others are leaving to ride rides, eat, shop, etc.. Then have to come and weave through the line to get back to their party. Nothing is more annoying than waiting in a line and having someone come up behind you that wasn't in front of you to begin with saying "excuse me, my party is up there". 99% of the time I think their lying.

Wife and I waited in a 4 hour line a few years ago for Star Wars weekend. Neither of us ever left the line which was standing only. No drink, bathroom, food breaks. Unless there's an emergency or a medical condition, the average human can wait in a 1-4 hour line without leaving

So if you plan on getting in a long line, I'd take the wait time into consideration and not leave to come back out of consideration to others around you

This is how I feel too. As far as eating in line, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, assuming you get your food before you get in the line, not have a member of the party go get something and bring it back.

For an average M&G on a regular day - I'm tolerate if one parent leaves with a small child for an emergency bathroom break. That's it. I expect your group to be in line and waiting - not part of your group off playing elsewhere in the park. And there is nothing more annoying to me when older teens join parents in line at the last minute. (Okay - the large tour groups joining up are a problem, too - but I haven't seen that in the past couple of years myself)

At the parties - in the outdoor queues for characters that will have 2+ hour waits - I have much more tolerance for coming and going. I still think it's in bad taste if you are a LARGE group (lets say greater than 8) for many people to converge in front of folks at the last minute after just one or two people actually waited. It's usually large groups of adults/older teens - and I just don't think that's cool. If you are a group of 15 and everyone's been in line most of the time and mom joins you with a 2-3 yo as the group gets close to the front - okay, I get it. I've waited in lines like these as a solo - and for me to take that emergency restroom break - I have to make nice with the folks around me - and I've never had trouble being temporarily adopted as part of their group so I could return to the same spot in line.

I'm totally okay if you eat in line - full meal, snacks, ice cream, etc. Now - if you are going to spill that food on me - well - I won't be so happy. I did have some 6-7 yo who was just being completely careless with his drink and he spilled it all over me one time. I was pretty mad at the parents as they had been totally inattentive to his behavior. But - really - I think that's a rare unfortunate event vs. the total number of folks who eat/drink in line.
Which is why I'd sort of be happier if 1 parent would just take the kid out of the line and feed them and then return to the line later.

And yes, lines for rare party characters are really different animals than regular M&G lines and they do sort of have a different level of tolerance. Because they have such long waits.

I waited for around 2 hours for Jack and Sally at last year's MNSSHP. As mentioned above, people didn't mind bathroom breaks, but I'm sorry, I don't care how old you are, you're not leaving the line to do something else then come back with a "place holder" person. back of the line for you.

If you can't wait like everyone else, do something else. Believe it or not, the rules apply to everyone equally.

I've really had to think about this one. My 14 year old likes to do some of the meet n greets that are rare and have long lines. However, his little brother is 4 and Autistic. I can see one of us (adults - 2) waiting with 14 year old and the other taking DS4 to do other things. I don't think it should be that he doesn't get to be in the picture. Maybe that's just me. As a parent of an SE kid, I guess I have just learned to tolerate more of these types of situations rather than get upset about them.

I should have expected so many varied opinions! What's interesting is I have zero tolerance for people joining their friends & family when it comes to rides. I will give people the evil eye for the duration of the line if they cut in front to meet their party - with the exception of anyone under the age of six (and their parent) because I've been in the situation many times of my children asking to use the restroom five minutes after we've gotten in line.

Personally I've never cared if someone joined their party in front of us at a M&G, but I can see others' perspectives on it. I really don't like when people eat in line though (!), because I too worry that someone will spill on me. Especially a very small child with an ice cream cone. It's just an accident waiting to happen. :)

I don't think it should be that he doesn't get to be in the picture. Maybe that's just me.
It isn't just you! :flower3: I'll never really understand the unrelenting attitude that some have on this issue when the math proves that they aren't being impacted by what you propose. Their wait time doesn't change if your 4 year old and a second adult join the 14 year old and the first adult at the last minute. Getting a photo taken with a character isn't supposed to be an endurance test or a self-sacrificing test of deprivation.

nlike a single file line where each person in line is to be accommodated individually, a line for a character meet and greet is actually a placeholder for a group, as long as that group stays together when it comes time for the greeting and photos.
Problem is, Disney doesn't say this is a policy. Some people expect others to do this; others think they all wait, and think others should do the same. Disney should police this stuff instead of copping out and leaving it to guests. A small sign at the start of the queue could help. The chair policy at Aulani is actually written down an enforced. They should do more of that instead of pushing it down to guests.

Problem is, Disney doesn't say this is a policy. Some people expect others to do this; others think they all wait, and think others should do the same. Disney should police this stuff instead of copping out and leaving it to guests. A small sign at the start of the queue could help. The chair policy at Aulani is actually written down an enforced. They should do more of that instead of pushing it down to guests.
Disney typically takes a reactive approach. They don't get involved unless there is a complaint. So....people shouldn't complain. Let It Go. Go With The Flow. No one is being adversely affected. Everyone just agree to agree. If you want your family to all wait in line, then do it. If you see others behaving differently, let it go. Their choice. I know that there is a post here that suggests that Disney is policing this. I haven't seen it. And if they are, then their rules rule. Plain and simple. If they are reacting to complaints, then people should do the math and refrain from complaining.

I do think we (collective) worry WAY too much about what the other guest is doing these days. 99.99% of the time it doesn't impact our park experience one little bit.
If we (collective) would just mind our own business I think things would just work so much better. Run smoother and be so much less stressful all the way around
I don't get why we care what someone else is doing or why
I'm with PP, I've not witnessed any policing by Disney either. Not regularly at least. If they do, then they do. Their park, they get to. But the guest doesn't.

I do believe if Disney guests were not expected to wait in line, we would not have FP+ or DAS. We would just be handed out riot shields and soft rubber clubs... ;)

Emergency bathroom break for those under 8, sure. That's about the ONLY tolerance I have for leaving the line and coming back. Anyone can plan their day to include some bathroom break time in their touring plan! Other than that, evaluate whether your entire party can stand in that line. If they can't, please don't get in the line. It's not like they don't post clear wait times on GIANT signs as well as on the MDE app. You know the wait for Peter Pan is 90 minutes! If your kid is moaning and kicking and NEEDS food, please please please take them to get food BEFORE you get in line and eat IN the line - don't send Dad to get chicken fingers and drinks that he weaves forward through the whole line to give to you.

While we are talking about respect for everyone's needs at Disney, I do not handle the constant jostling of my personal space all that well. I can deal with meeting the families in front and behind us in line, but if you can't even tell WHY we're standing in line because of the chaotic wander-all that the queue has become... You're waiting in line whether you have a DAS or not, so why can't so many guests wait in line? I really have all my anxiety buttons pushed by people shoving past me to bring their family food, taking half the party to the bathroom, 1 kid chickening out, his sibling temporarily agreeing but then changing their mind, forcing MORE weaving through people...

eesh, rant over! :(

Bathroom breaks ok but... one family has small kids and those kids patiently wait. Another family has Dad hold spot while Mom and kids do rides. Then Mom and kids rejoin Dad at front of line... how do you not say this is right to the kids who stood and patiently waited?

Yes, emergency bathroom breaks tolerable but one person holding line while others eat or do rides not very nice. Regarding the eating- you know when you last ate and family last ate, you know how long line is. It’s not hard to decide if you’ll need to eat before entering.

Exceptions of course to those with DAS and special needs.

Why is it OK for a family but not a group of college kids? Disney's official if unenforced policy is no line cutting. If someone, be it part of a family or some college kids, is off having a good time riding rides elsewhere instead of waiting on a three hour long M&G line then they are cutting the line when they finally decide to show up just in time to meet the characters. Just because one person was waiting in line "holding places" for a group, any group, doesn't change the fact that the rest of their party who wasn't there waiting on line are now cutting the line they didn't wait on. It doesn't matter whether it's a family, a group of college kids or a bunch of retirees, line cutting is line cutting. I agree with MickeyWaffles. Bathroom breaks or grabbing some food & then rejoining the line are fine. Going off to ride some rides while 1 or 2 members of a party "hold places" is definitely not OK.
ITA!! it's not fair to the others who are waiting when a group of any size cuts in. it just adds to the total wait time for the people who stood in line and that's just rude and inconsiderate. A quick bio break - fine. To go on rides, not very nice.

I do believe if Disney guests were not expected to wait in line, we would not have FP+.
You could easily flip this around and say that the FP's very existence proves that Disney recognizes the inefficiencies of lines and is working at finding ways to avoid them. Never forget that FP was designed to benefit Disney (financially, by getting people out of lines where their wallets stay in their pockets and into revenue generating areas.) Any benefit that guests receive from FP is merely collateral to company's.

Bathroom breaks ok but... one family has small kids and those kids patiently wait. Another family has Dad hold spot while Mom and kids do rides. Then Mom and kids rejoin Dad at front of line... how do you not say this is right to the kids who stood and patiently waited?

Yes, emergency bathroom breaks tolerable but one person holding line while others eat or do rides not very nice. Regarding the eating- you know when you last ate and family last ate, you know how long line is. It’s not hard to decide if you’ll need to eat before entering.

Exceptions of course to those with DAS and special needs.
But those exceptions are taken care of with the DAS. Those that truly can't wait in line, can get a DAS.

I can't imagine having a portion of my party go on rides while I am waiting in line for something else. Maybe it's just my personal anxiety, but it just doesn't seem like the timing would work out all the time and would cause me way more stress wondering if they were going to make it or not. Indoor lines we all wait together because both my dh and I hate doing the whole "excuse me, my party is up ahead" thing with a passion, so it is avoided at all costs.

I will say though, that for the outdoor lines (mainly at DLR), we have taken our 2 year old out of the line to sit on a bench in the shade or to get his wiggles out (within eye sight) while one adult waits in the line with our dd5. You'd probably thank us under your breath for taking him out of the line too. When dd5 gets to the front of the line, the other half joins in to help facilitate the meet and greet. For us it is more efficient to have both adults there meeting (or not meeting because we're behind the camera) the character in the end to help pose the kids and so that the cm can hand one of us the autograph books while the other parent is taking the picture/video. It actually makes the line move faster and thus allowing you to get to the character sooner. That's what works for us and keeps everyone happy and I've never once given or received a remark or a dirty look from anyone at Disneyland for it- probably because that's what most people do there. ‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter