M&G etiquette

I am by no means active on the board or visit WDW often. But I have seen variations of this thread play out before, by being a lurker for my prior trip and getting for my next trip in April. It is interesting to see the different viewpoints. I have no stake in this one way or the other.
But my question for some of the veterans here. Do you think some of this comes down to the people who visit the park a lot (ie multiple times a year) versus the people who may be coming for only there one visit of a lifetime, or very limited visits? Because I can see the people who visit multiple times expect the same procedures to be followed since that is how it is always done. But I can also see people who are there for their only visit of a lifetime thinking that they should maximize every moment at the park which may require a placeholder for these types of events. Just curious. And by no means trying to cause a fight. Just something that popped into my head as I read some of the posts (did not read the whole thread).

We went to Photopass day last month in the parks. Our mission was to meet Maleficent. Little did we know it was everyone's mission to meet her at HS that day. :rotfl:

Park opened at 9am and the meet and greet started at 10am. We were amongst the first people in HS that day and we were held by the Starbuck's until official park opening. We hoofed it down Sunset Boulevard to Sunset Showcase and ended up having about 40 people in front of us. And then we wait.........

So while we wait, we end up talking to different people as the line snakes around. Most people in line were veteran park goers that day. We realized most first timers didn't even know about photopass day. Yes, there were lots of place holders. Lots of people coming and going. Everyone was lovely and helpful to one another. Saving spots in line so people could buy drinks, go to washrooms etc...But there were no "line cutters".

When we finally entered the building, there were about 100 people in front of us because families had caught up. But it did not affect the wait times at all. If anything, it made the line feel like it was finally moving, since groups of 4 or 5 were going in together.

Most people who caught up to their families in line were elderly or small children who could not walk very fast. It was safer for them to walk slowly. I think if you are bothered or annoyed by families who catch up, a popular, rare character meet like this would not be for you.

When Rapunzel and Flynn met together in 2011 placeholding was definitely acceptable to CMs. My travel party moved so slowly en masse the first day that when we got there after Rope drop Rope drop the line was already hideously long. So we broke my daughters' hearts and skipped Rapunzel that day. The following week on our second MK day, I took off like a shot to get up there and get in line. My sister and two of my daughters caught up about 10 minutes later. By then a CM with a clicker was already moving through the line asking each person in line how many there party was going to be.

Wait times can be affected by families joining a placeholder. Maybe by not a lot per family, but the impact is lengthened with every family that joins the line. I'm a solo traveler and when I do a M&G, it takes 2 minutes at most for me to meet the character and get my pictures taken. I'm guessing that most families take 2 minutes or so longer to get autographs and pictures taken. Not a lot of time, but if 10 families join the line with a single placeholder it adds 20 minutes to your wait time. Again not a lot of time in the scheme of things, but it does add up over time.

I have mixed feelings about this. I have no problems with making exceptions for special needs children and adults, be they behavioral or medical issues. I understand emergency bathroom breaks and cranky children. What I have problems with is people who have been shopping and riding while I stand in line. It might only add a couple of minutes to my wait time, but it honestly seems rude to me. I've never done the 7 Dwarfs for that reason, even though I'm a huge Grumpy fan. That being said, I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation.

Yes, there were lots of place holders. Lots of people coming and going. Everyone was lovely and helpful to one another. Saving spots in line so people could buy drinks, go to washrooms etc...But there were no "line cutters".

When we finally entered the building, there were about 100 people in front of us because families had caught up. But it did not affect the wait times at all. If anything, it made the line feel like it was finally moving, since groups of 4 or 5 were going in together.
Thank you for this first-hand account. Pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin on whether this practice works and is tolerated in group dynamics situations. While it may be difficult for some to understand the difference between group behavior and individual behavior, that lack of understanding should not be the cause of eschewing a more efficient model. But stories like this (and the one told by momof2n2) help demonstrate that the system in practice works, is fair, and is orderly.

Not a lot of time, but if 10 families join the line with a single placeholder it adds 20 minutes to your wait time. Again not a lot of time in the scheme of things, but it does add up over time
No one has ever suggested that 10 families be allowed to join a single placeholder. Each family would have to be represented by a single placeholder. And under such an approach, wait times will not and cannot increase. It's simple math. X=X. It has to. 10 families who go into the room to take photos with a character will occupy the exact same time and space in that room irrespective of whether all those family members stood directly in front of you in line or off to the side of you in line. There is no math that can disprove this. The only thing that changes when you push everyone into the line is the physical length of the line, not the time it takes for you to get to the front of it.

No one has ever suggested that 10 families be allowed to join a single placeholder. Each family would have to be represented by a single placeholder. And under such an approach, wait times will not and cannot increase. It's simple math. X=X. It has to. 10 families who go into the room to take photos with a character will occupy the exact same time and space in that room irrespective of whether all those family members stood directly in front of you in line or off to the side of you in line. There is no math that can disprove this. The only thing that changes when you push everyone into the line is the physical length of the line, not the time it takes for you to get to the front of it.

I stand corrected. I guess I meant that one's perception/expectations are lengthened. If I see 10 solo travelers standing in front of me, I'm going to expect my wait time is 20 minutes. When families join those solo placeholders, my real wait time has now become 40 minutes because it takes more time for them to go through the M&G interactions than a solo traveler. Did my actual wait time change? No, but I probably wouldn't have gotten in line if I knew I'd have to wait 40 minutes instead of 20. I hope I got my math right this time. Numbers have never been my forte. :)

Wait times can be affected by families joining a placeholder. Maybe by not a lot per family, but the impact is lengthened with every family that joins the line. I'm a solo traveler and when I do a M&G, it takes 2 minutes at most for me to meet the character and get my pictures taken. I'm guessing that most families take 2 minutes or so longer to get autographs and pictures taken. Not a lot of time, but if 10 families join the line with a single placeholder it adds 20 minutes to your wait time. Again not a lot of time in the scheme of things, but it does add up over time.

Is it possible that additional people joining the line in front of you will make your wait longer? Sure. Anything is possible. But it is really not likely. Whether or not it's a single person or a group, you are entering with your group. I have never seen large groups getting multiple autographs or doing multiple poses with characters. I find that they are usually amongst the quickest because they feel bad for getting in everyone's way.

Some of our longest waits have been been waiting behind single people who spent a good deal of time chatting with characters and engaging with them. Some of our shortest waits have been waiting behind large groups of extended families who just wanted to see their grandchild/niece/nephew, etc....get their picture taken with a character. That's it. In and out real quick. You just never know the nature of the meet n greet for each group.

I really think this is one of those times you have to teach your kids that if you want something there is a cost involved... You want to see Character A you have to wait in this line and will not be able to do these other things. Life is about making choices.
So NO I dont think its ok to have 1 person hold the place in line while another person takes kids to ride 2 or 3 rides or to Trick or treat.
Quick Bathroom run: Yes
1 person run grab a snack or drinks: OK
But the whole party should be in line together waiting for the majority of the wait time.

Is it possible that additional people joining the line in front of you will make your wait longer? Sure. Anything is possible. But it is really not likely. Whether or not it's a single person or a group, you are entering with your group. I have never seen large groups getting multiple autographs or doing multiple poses with characters. I find that they are usually amongst the quickest because they feel bad for getting in everyone's way.

Some of our longest waits have been been waiting behind single people who spent a good deal of time chatting with characters and engaging with them. Some of our shortest waits have been waiting behind large groups of extended families who just wanted to see their grandchild/niece/nephew, etc....get their picture taken with a character. That's it. In and out real quick. You just never know the nature of the meet n greet for each group.
Your basic premise is that a group doesn't take any longer than a single person. I question your premise.

I've seen multi-generational families take much longer than a single person. They want 4-6 pictures or more, plus autographs for each child. My husband and I might get 2 pictures, and no autograph. We save the autographs for character meals.

Could a single take longer than a large multi-generational family? Sure. But you seem to think that is the norm.

Your basic premise is that a group doesn't take any longer than a single person. I question your premise.

No. what I'm saying is that a group doesn't necessarily take any longer than a single person. Some people seem to think it's a given that a few people joining a group will most certainly impact your wait length.

I've seen multi-generational families take much longer than a single person. They want 4-6 pictures or more, plus autographs for each child.

It can certainly happen. No one is disputing that. Sometimes it's the people who have all waited in line together the entire time who feel the need to take their time at a meet n greet because they feel they put all this time waiting and don't want to be rushed.

Could a single take longer than a large multi-generational family? Sure. But you seem to think that is the norm.

Not the norm. I did have some experiences with singles taking longer than larger groups. The point is, there are too many variables to determine how long each group or single meet n greet might take.

Haven't read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been brought up: for those that say that people in front of you holding spots for family members doesn't really affect your wait time, let me offer this counterargument. Take, for instance, a line that is 2 hours long and a family with mom, dad and 2-year-old kiddo. If Dad knows that he can hold a place in line while mom and kiddo go do something fun, he will do that. If, on the other hand, he knows that holding a spot in line is not allowed by Disney, the family may decide to forgo the M&G because they know kiddo will never have the patience to wait 2 hours.

In that case, Disney not having a "no place holding" policy does affect the wait time of those who decide to wait in line.

Take, for instance, a line that is 2 hours long and a family with mom, dad and 2-year-old kiddo. If Dad knows that he can hold a place in line while mom and kiddo go do something fun, he will do that. If, on the other hand, he knows that holding a spot in line is not allowed by Disney, the family may decide to forgo the M&G because they know kiddo will never have the patience to wait 2 hours.
The problem with these assumptions is that there is no way anyone can know how long the M&G wait is going to be by simply looking at the line. Say that Line "A" has 100 people in it. And Line "B" has 60 people in it. Which line is "longer" in terms of wait time? Now assume that Line A is comprised of 10 groups of 10 and Line B is comprised of 30 groups of 2. Which line will move faster? The one with 10 groups or the one with 30? While you may be correct that a lengthy line may deter someone from getting in it, their decision is based solely on their perception and we have to acknowledge that their perception may be all wrong. If they decide to forego the line that is their decision but that personal decision based on a faulty assumption is not a good reason to refuse to utilize a system that is inherently more efficient. If there were a way to accurately time a M&G line at a party, Disney would put up signs telling you how long the wait is. And if there is a sign that says the wait is 40 minutes but there are only 10 people in line, and a second line shows a wait time of 30 minutes and there are 200 people in line, the father in your hypothetical can choose whatever he wants for his family. But if he lets his perception control the math, he may come out a loser.

The issue is that there is not a standardized 'norm' of how the lines should go. This thread proves it as there are many differing views on how it should go. That leaves Disney with the responsibility of setting the standard so that everyone knows what is expected. Until that happens there is going to be friction about the 'right way' to wait in lines.

I agree the best solution is to have timed returns... say if a line is over 30 minutes. But that would involve more manpower and think we all know Disney doesn't want that.

These days though it's not hard to imagine tempers escalating and forcing Disney to implement a clearer policy. They would also have to do this for parades/fireworks as they also have issues with peoples expectations of how it should go. If there was a disagreement people could open up their park map and point to the proper guidance printed in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter