Manta soft open today!

bluedolph1n

Mouseketeer
This afternoon Manta opened for the public. My husband rode it, and thought it was superb, best rollercoaster he had done. My son didn't want to go, so I stayed with him, hopefully I can ride it this week.
Since it is a soft opening, they can close it anytime I believe, but when you go now, chances are you can ride it. :)

I hope it is not too big, here a picture from today:

Manta.jpg

I was teasing my friend who is there this week that I would get to ride it first (when I go in August), and she will likely get on it Tuesday! That's awesome!! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

38 rides and counting for me now!!! It's a great ride! The best flyer i have ever done

We were at Sea World today also and saw that Manta was open. My husband and son were in line to ride it but the wait was too long - 30 to 40 minutes is what they told us. We needed to catch the shuttle back to Portofino hotel and did not have time to wait in line and risk missing the shuttle, so they did not ride it. It looks like alot of fun but it could also be scary as you are on your stomachs and facing the ground most of the time you are on the ride.

Quite annoying that they jumped the gun, so to speak, since I was planning on being there Tuesday and could have gone yesterday.

However, the picture posted (excellent shot!) just makes me more excited about riding this thing. I hope the G's aren't too intense--I don't measure the excellence of a coaster by how close I come to passing out on it.

Manta was running today (Sunday 5/3). You needed a wristband to ride it. There was some blue plastic fencing up and 2 employees were telling people w/o wristbands it was for the 'contractors and guests only'. They were unsure if they were going to be open for the general public today.

Thanks, Chris, for updating us! I was going to go there today, 05/03, but decided against taking a chance I wouldn't be able to ride (I'm 45 miles away). So, I'll go over on Tuesday, 05/05, as previously planned. Maybe they'll let us on before noon, too.

Thanks, Chris, for updating us! I was going to go there today, 05/03, but decided against taking a chance I wouldn't be able to ride (I'm 45 miles away). So, I'll go over on Tuesday, 05/05, as previously planned. Maybe they'll let us on before noon, too.

The guards at the blue plastic gates said 'MAYBE' at 3pm today they would let guests in IF they were going to let them in.

I can't wait to ride it when we go in September, although I would like to ask how they get away with saying this:

seaworld.com said:
you ride the only flying roller coaster of its kind in the world.

I would have said that honour went to Air at Alton Towers, UK way back in 2002.

It will be interesting to see how the two compare, and whether they can live up to their claim! :D

I thought you knew, Twilight, that the US was special. hehe

We call our final baseball competition the "World Series" even though only 2 countries participate--the US and Canada. This is in spite of baseball's popularity in at least 2 other countries, Japan and Mexico.

We call sparkling wine from California "champagne" even though theoretically only sparkling wine from the French region of Champagne should be called champagne.

So, it doesn't surprise me that the claim about Manta was made. Many Americans never travel outside our borders and would never know the difference.

I read that Air was the first flying coaster in the world. Makes sense, since the UK has the advantage of being closer to Switzerland, where many of these coasters seem to be designed.

Rode today at about 3. I got two rides in, then I decided it was too hot to be outside today. It's a really fun ride, and the attendants said when it does officially open, they'll be utilizing a singles line.

I thought you knew, Twilight, that the US was special. hehe

We call our final baseball competition the "World Series" even though only 2 countries participate--the US and Canada. This is in spite of baseball's popularity in at least 2 other countries, Japan and Mexico.

We call sparkling wine from California "champagne" even though theoretically only sparkling wine from the French region of Champagne should be called champagne.

So, it doesn't surprise me that the claim about Manta was made. Many Americans never travel outside our borders and would never know the difference.

I read that Air was the first flying coaster in the world. Makes sense, since the UK has the advantage of being closer to Switzerland, where many of these coasters seem to be designed.

:rotfl: That made my evening! Thanks! Guess you guys don't have Trading Standards, then ;) Yeah, the same company that manufactured Air, manufactured Manta too. We also got the world's first vertical drop roller coaster (Oblivion) waaaaay back in 1998. It surprises me a bit that we get the 'firsts' because we only have three big theme parks in the country (there are a few smaller ones), but you guys have huuuuge parks and lots of money, yet we get the new things first. Although it did take until a couple of years ago for us to get a Dragster-type ride.

I can't wait to ride it when we go in September, although I would like to ask how they get away with saying this:

I would have said that honour went to Air at Alton Towers, UK way back in 2002.

It will be interesting to see how the two compare, and whether they can live up to their claim! :D

I'm going to side against you on this one.

From that statement on Seaworld's site, I don't read that as if they are claiming to be the first flying coaster. I'm sure their claim has to do with how they themed around it. Also, FYI, yes Air was the 1st B&M flying coaster, but there were other flyers before that one. According to RCDB, the "Batwing" is the oldest flyer in operation.

Looks great fun! For those who have ridden how 'scary' is it on a scale of 1-10?!!
Has it made anyone feel sick?!!
Debsxx:goodvibes

Wow this looks so much better than air at alton towers

Doesn't it just! Air just made me want to go to sleep, it was so tame and boring. Although they were just starting to build Splash Landing when we went, so got a nice view of the building site and a half-constructed water slide :rotfl: Can't wait to ride this one.

:rotfl: That made my evening! Thanks! Guess you guys don't have Trading Standards, then ;) Yeah, the same company that manufactured Air, manufactured Manta too. We also got the world's first vertical drop roller coaster (Oblivion) waaaaay back in 1998. It surprises me a bit that we get the 'firsts' because we only have three big theme parks in the country (there are a few smaller ones), but you guys have huuuuge parks and lots of money, yet we get the new things first. Although it did take until a couple of years ago for us to get a Dragster-type ride.

I love Alton Towers! It's immense, next trip there in about 6 weeks to celebrate exams ending can't wait. Looking forward to seeing what Alton Towers next coaster will be when it opens next year, hoping we'll be getting something brand spanking new and original. Alton's had a lot of firsts in European and World terms, and I think it's a good all round Theme Park so it's a shame it's probably unheard of outside the UK

Personally Air is one of my favorite rollarcoasters, not too rough and really smooth - which is why I was so upset we missed out on the opening of Manta the lift hill and drop looked way more immense than air's - but oh well maybe one day I'll get to ride it :)

I think to add my words to the debate, the first flying coaster was supposedly in Manchester 1997 so UK still owns ;)

Has anyone gone on Superman: Ultimate Flight at Six Flags over Georgia? There's another copy of this coaster in another SF maybe in California? Anyway, that is a really fun flying coaster. Perfect blend of intensity and high flying fun. Just wish it was a little longer. Can anyone that's been on this and Manta compare the two? Manta seemed a little short and tamed when I watched it on you tube. Guess I'll have to wait to ride it to see. So, does anyone have any comparisons? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter